Newbie Questions

Lockout888

Awards
My Doctor wanted to test my cholesterol etc. so I just had some blood work done. High cholesterol aside, it also showed I have low testosterone (290) for a 37 year old. So she prescribed me testosterone therapy - a product called Axiron.

I have taken natural testosterone boosters before, but never the real stuff.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is this something I am going to need to take for the rest of my life?
2. Do I need to cycle it?
3. Will I need to take anything to counteract estrogen?
4. Should I be taking a natural testosterone booster as well?

napalm

napalm

Awards
My Doctor wanted to test my cholesterol etc. so I just had some blood work done. High cholesterol aside, it also showed I have low testosterone (290) for a 37 year old. So she prescribed me testosterone therapy - a product called Axiron.

I have taken natural testosterone boosters before, but never the real stuff.

I have a couple of questions:
1. Is this something I am going to need to take for the rest of my life?
2. Do I need to cycle it?
3. Will I need to take anything to counteract estrogen?
4. Should I be taking a natural testosterone booster as well?
1. In all likelihood, yes.
2. No
3. Depends on what labs show, your doc should be taking labs, including e2 in about 1 month
4. No need to

Post any and all labs done to date.

Lockout888

Awards
Thanks. Is this going to shut down my natural testosterone, or add to it?

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
My, RULE #1, Before you do TRT to fix low TT, check (blood test) your E2, LH, DHEAs, TSH, FT3, and FT.
WHY? it could be low thyroid, it could be low DHEA (adrenal problem), it could be high E2, it could be low LH(secondary hypogonadism)
None of which, Axiron, will fix.

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
My Doctor wanted to test my cholesterol etc. so I just had some blood work done. High cholesterol aside, it also showed I have low testosterone (290) for a 37 year old. So she prescribed me testosterone therapy - a product called Axiron. I have taken natural testosterone boosters before, but never the real stuff. I have a couple of questions:1. Is this something I am going to need to take for the rest of my life?2. Do I need to cycle it?3. Will I need to take anything to counteract estrogen?4. Should I be taking a natural testosterone booster as well?
37 year old you are a good candidate for TRT, BUT You also need to look for reason of why it is low in the first place. In most cases it just a symptom of a deeper cause which can come back to bite you years later. I am seeing this happen with many cases. Perfect hormone profiles but feel like crap no explanation. When further explored you find out they have a poor sleep pattern and life styles, hidden mold, pathogens, heavy metal, or toxic build up which if it was addressed from the beginning there would be no need for TRT in the first place most likely. To many practioners play fill the gas tank with hormones and thyroid. "Your T is low here is testosterone, but I am 19?" If your car would not start would you do a complete over haul the engine? In reality you find it just to be out of gasHigh cholesterol is due to excessive insulin or hypothyroidism these need to be properly ruled out FIRST before TRT which I can assure you were only half assed check if not even checked at all......Same principle..Axiron is not the best method and only gets guys up in the 500-600 range at peak then by morning you are back at 250.

Lockout888

Awards
Thank you for the replies. I found this out through my General Practitioner, and I don't think she is up to speed on this issue. I am reading posts on this forum and on the Internet to learn more.

I am thinking of finding a Practitioner in my area that specializes in this. I have only taken the Axiron for 2 days. Should I stop taking it and have the new Practitioner check my blood again and then make recommendations?

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for the replies. I found this out through my General Practitioner, and I don't think she is up to speed on this issue. I am reading posts on this forum and on the Internet to learn more.

I am thinking of finding a Practitioner in my area that specializes in this. I have only taken the Axiron for 2 days. Should I stop taking it and have the new Practitioner check my blood again and then make recommendations?
Where are you.located I have colleagues all around the US who.would look at all the factors not.just hormones

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Most health professionals who
deal.with these cases are not going to take insurance unfortunatly. Trt.may be an option, but rise in shbg is a red flag something else is wrong. I have worked on cases with Dr who had patients with 1200+ Tt with shbg of 120 plus. The common factor was either yeast or liver pathways not working properly. Suspect was NASH (fatty liver) which candida produce acteylaldehyde which is basically wood grain alcohol..One also has to look at past history to see how this plays into ones current health status. If one has.other issues Hrt may potential mask them ..

Lockout888

Awards
deal.with these cases are not going to take insurance unfortunatly. Trt.may be an option, but rise in shbg is a red flag something else is wrong. I have worked on cases with Dr who had patients with 1200+ Tt with shbg of 120 plus. The common factor was either yeast or liver pathways not working properly. Suspect was NASH (fatty liver) which candida produce acteylaldehyde which is basically wood grain alcohol..One also has to look at past history to see how this plays into ones current health status. If one has.other issues Hrt may potential mask them ..
Was your reply meant for this topic? It seems like you meant to post this in another thread?

CaptnCaveman

CaptnCaveman

Banned
Awards
Any advice on how to treat and/or detox pathways associated with NASH, and/or NAFLD? Are the pathways able to be detoxified over time with appropriate diet and supplements??

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
I use 23andme when doctors run out of options. Has.worked very well in many cases. pm ohiostate. TRt did.not.resolve his issues 23andme did

Mr.TT

Awards
  • Established
And 23andME is only $99 + shipping right now!!!!!!!! (money is motivator for me)
I ordered mine.

Lockout888

Awards
Post any and all labs done to date.
I have only had 1 so far, and it was just a standard test from my General Practitioner. The only thing that is relevant so far is:
Total Test = 291 (241-827)
T4 = 7.4 (4.5-12.0)
TSH RFLX = 2.61 (0.40-4.50)

I plan on getting the items tested that Mr.TT listed.

pappybay

pappybay

Awards
37 year old you are a good candidate for TRT, BUT You also need to look for reason of why it is low in the first place. In most cases it just a symptom of a deeper cause which can come back to bite you years later. I am seeing this happen with many cases. Perfect hormone profiles but feel like crap no explanation. When further explored you find out they have a poor sleep pattern and life styles, hidden mold, pathogens, heavy metal, or toxic build up which if it was addressed from the beginning there would be no need for TRT in the first place most likely. To many practioners play fill the gas tank with hormones and thyroid. "Your T is low here is testosterone, but I am 19?" If your car would not start would you do a complete over haul the engine? In reality you find it just to be out of gasHigh cholesterol is due to excessive insulin or hypothyroidism these need to be properly ruled out FIRST before TRT which I can assure you were only half assed check if not even checked at all......Same principle..Axiron is not the best method and only gets guys up in the 500-600 range at peak then by morning you are back at 250.
Sound advice.

Vatality

Awards
TRT is lifelong, andropause starts in the late 20's/early 30's and as the body gets older, it tends to decline in test. Thats how I look at it, TRT will help keep off health problems and other illnesses that come with old age. I look at TRT as a good thing. Most people don't know about TRT or HTR and just accept andropause as part of aging and don't think enough about it to do anything about it.