Newbie-ish bulking question

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
I've been on my first bulk since mid-Dec. and I've gained 11 lbs so far. I'm 28 and 5'8". I started at 165 and now at 176.

Question 1 - is that reasonable or am I gaining too slowly?

Question 2 - What's better, a series of small bulks and cuts or just a few big bulks and cuts.

I started out this bulk saying that I want to be 180 lbs at 12% BF by the end of 2008 but I realize that I can definitely go past that, so I am revising my goals upwards. Now I'm thinking 190 or even 200 by the end of the year. But should I just keep bulking until Sept. and then do a massive cut till Dec. or do a few shorter bulks and cuts till the end of the year?

tattoopierced1

it depends. If you eat clean and stay lean during your bulk, then keep bulking. If you put on some bf, then I'd do a bulk, small cut, bulk to keep lean and optimize hormones in your body.

BTW, love the quote on your sig, I have Pain is weakness leaving the body tattooed on my ribs.

gym88

Awards
maybe you could have gained more.
how much you reckon is muscle

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally i like series of small cuts and bulks as i feel it works better for me and keeps me better mentally(i do not like getting overly fat..). I usually bulk 6-8 weeks and then have a 2-4 week cut.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I use to be into the whole bulk to get big and then Ill just cut fat away. Now I'm just getting down to a bf where I want to be at with one last "cut."

After this I am no longer going to label bulk periods and cutting periods. Instead I will just adjust macros to personal goals and keep my bf stagnant at where it is at. Set goals for yourself and if you feel your gaining too much fat then just cut back a little bit. Theres really no need for bulking then cutting per say (if you can nail in a diet fat gain should be very limited.) Just be vigilant of how your progressing and there will be no need for long duration cutting periods.

I hope that makes sense.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 7
Training Forum 6
Anabolics 4
Supplements 4
Anabolics 9