New Betaine Study

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A study published earlier this year found that "high dietary choline and betaine intakes are significantly associated with favorable body composition in humans."
Higher Dietary Choline and Betaine Intakes Are Associated with Better Body Composition in the Adult Population of Newfoundland, Canada

We already know that betaine is a very useful supplement that has become a staple alongside supplements like creatine for many people on this forum. There are studies showing increases in body composition (increases in LBM AND decreases in body fat):
http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-39.pdf
reps performed and total bench press volume (and muscle oxygen consumption:
The effects of chronic betaine supplementation on exercise performance, skeletal muscle oxygen saturation and associated biochemical parameters in ... - PubMed - NCBI
and squats (within one week):
Effect of betaine supplementation on power performance and fatigue
vertical jump:
Ergogenic effects of betaine supplementation on strength and power performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
and power:
Effect of betaine supplementation on cycling sprint performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text

Back to the new study:
A total of 3214 subjects from the CODING (Complex Disease in Newfoundland population: Environment and Genetics) study were assessed. Dietary choline and betaine intakes were computed from the Willett Food Frequency questionnaire. Body composition was measured using dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry following a 12-hour fast. Major confounding factors including age, sex, total calorie intake and physical activity level were controlled in all analyses.
The study also stated:
To the best of our knowledge, this is the first large cross-sectional study specifically designed to investigate the association between dietary choline, betaine intakes and DXA-derived body composition. We found significant associations of higher dietary choline and betaine intakes with better body composition profile (lower %BF, higher %LM).
The beneficial effect of dietary choline and betaine intakes on obesity was demonstrated in every obesity measurement in both women and men...
dietary betaine intake (mg/kg/day) was significantly lower by 13.3%, 33.0%, 29.7%, and 41.7% in female overweight, female obese, male overweight and male obese groups, respectively, compared to normal weight groups.
As for what was considered low, medium, and high betaine intake:

Women:
Low: 37mg/day
Medium: 87mg/day
High: 201mg/day

Men:
Low: 39mg/day
Medium: 88mg/day
High: 217mg/day

As you can see, even the high betaine intake is much less than the 2.5g used in many studies on resistance trained individuals.

Yes, this was "only" an association study, but we already have multiple studies showing that betaine supplementation can benefit body composition. What this study provides that the others don't is a much larger sample size. While this is not a double-blind placebo-controlled study, it was "a large population based cross-sectional study" with over 3,000 subjects. Between this larger association study and the handful of more controlled studies with smaller sample sizes, we can get a better picture of the potential benefits of betaine (specifically improved body composition; increased LBM and reduced fat).

In my opinion, betaine has earned its spot among staple supplements for athletes and gym goers alongside other proven ingredients like creatine monohydrate. In addition to the body composition and performance benefits of betaine, there is also research suggesting betaine can be beneficial for the liver:
Betaine, ethanol, and the liver: a review. - PubMed - NCBI
and "is an important nutrient for the prevention of chronic disease"
Betaine in human nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI

In conclusion, betaine appears to be both an effective ergogen (capable of improving body composition and performance), as well as a generally healthy ingredient with a variety of benefits for more than just athletes/lifters. Any time you have an affordable ingredient that is not only "effective" (helps us get bigger and/or stronger), but also generally healthy and even god for you, I feel it deserves a spot in your supplement arsenal (for me these are creatine monohydrate, betaine, and taurine, all of which, and then some, I get from PowerMax XT).

For people who aren't already taking betaine, there are several products that contain full doses of betaine, as well as several other "staple" ingredients such as creatine, including:

-Performax Labs PowerMax XT
-Olympus Labs Tr1umph
-PES Ergonine
-iForce Finish Line

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
A study published earlier this year found that "high dietary choline and betaine intakes are significantly associated with favorable body composition in humans."
Higher Dietary Choline and Betaine Intakes Are Associated with Better Body Composition in the Adult Population of Newfoundland, Canada

We already know that betaine is a very useful supplement that has become a staple alongside supplements like creatine for many people on this forum. There are studies showing increases in body composition (increases in LBM AND decreases in body fat):
http://www.jissn.com/content/pdf/1550-2783-10-39.pdf
reps performed and total bench press volume (and muscle oxygen consumption:
The effects of chronic betaine supplementation on exercise performance, skeletal muscle oxygen saturation and associated biochemical parameters in ... - PubMed - NCBI
and squats (within one week):
Effect of betaine supplementation on power performance and fatigue
vertical jump:
Ergogenic effects of betaine supplementation on strength and power performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text
and power:
Effect of betaine supplementation on cycling sprint performance | Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition | Full Text

Back to the new study:

The study also stated:

As for what was considered low, medium, and high betaine intake:

Women:
Low: 37mg/day
Medium: 87mg/day
High: 201mg/day

Men:
Low: 39mg/day
Medium: 88mg/day
High: 217mg/day

As you can see, even the high betaine intake is much less than the 2.5g used in many studies on resistance trained individuals.

Yes, this was "only" an association study, but we already have multiple studies showing that betaine supplementation can benefit body composition. What this study provides that the others don't is a much larger sample size. While this is not a double-blind placebo-controlled study, it was "a large population based cross-sectional study" with over 3,000 subjects. Between this larger association study and the handful of more controlled studies with smaller sample sizes, we can get a better picture of the potential benefits of betaine (specifically improved body composition; increased LBM and reduced fat).

In my opinion, betaine has earned its spot among staple supplements for athletes and gym goers alongside other proven ingredients like creatine monohydrate. In addition to the body composition and performance benefits of betaine, there is also research suggesting betaine can be beneficial for the liver:
Betaine, ethanol, and the liver: a review. - PubMed - NCBI
and "is an important nutrient for the prevention of chronic disease"
Betaine in human nutrition. - PubMed - NCBI

In conclusion, betaine appears to be both an effective ergogen (capable of improving body composition and performance), as well as a generally healthy ingredient with a variety of benefits for more than just athletes/lifters. Any time you have an affordable ingredient that is not only "effective" (helps us get bigger and/or stronger), but also generally healthy and even god for you, I feel it deserves a spot in your supplement arsenal (for me these are creatine monohydrate, betaine, and taurine, all of which, and then some, I get from PowerMax XT).

For people who aren't already taking betaine, there are several products that contain full doses of betaine, as well as several other "staple" ingredients such as creatine, including:

-Performax Labs PowerMax XT
-Olympus Labs Tr1umph
-PES Ergonine
-iForce Finish Line
Good find. Definitely a staple of mine. And it's cheap!

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
I get major gastric distress when trying to take betaine (bulk powder), even in small doses (1mg). I think I even tried 500mg once, and it still sent me running to the bathroom. I can take the capsules, but they are quite a bit more pricey than the bulk powder..

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I get major gastric distress when trying to take betaine (bulk powder), even in small doses (1mg). I think I even tried 500mg once, and it still sent me running to the bathroom. I can take the capsules, but they are quite a bit more pricey than the bulk powder..
Have you tried taking it with food?

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Have you tried taking it with food?
I thought about that, since when I take the capsules, it is usually with my daily vitamins, which is with breakfast. But when I take the powder in my protein shake it clobbers me. but I can also (usually) take a supp (PWO, etc) with betaine in it, even on an empty stomach, w/o problems. I tried two different betaine (powder) brands, no luck. What one do you use? From everything I read on it I agree it should be a staple right next to creatine, just wish it treated me better when I first take it.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've used it a lot and love it. Great muscle fullness when I take it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great post!

I personally love oly Vital1ty. Betaine, creatine, and PS. I have 30 tubs in storage. Lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought about that, since when I take the capsules, it is usually with my daily vitamins, which is with breakfast. But when I take the powder in my protein shake it clobbers me. but I can also (usually) take a supp (PWO, etc) with betaine in it, even on an empty stomach, w/o problems. I tried two different betaine (powder) brands, no luck. What one do you use? From everything I read on it I agree it should be a staple right next to creatine, just wish it treated me better when I first take it.
I get my betaine from PowerMax XT. I've also gotten it from other supplements (daily staple supplements and various pre-workouts). As for bulk powders, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list the companies here, but you can PM me.

For a while I mixed a ton of bulk powders every day (creatine, betaine, taurine, glutamine with alanine, etc), but it's so much easier to just get it all from one supplement (PowerMax, Triumph, etc). It saves a decent amount of time, and tastes a lot better too.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
it is on sale right now for $4.99. Looks like they are pushing the Conqu3r supp now.

Quads_of_Stee

Quads_of_Stee

Awards
Excellent post and write-up here! Must've taken a while but these are the quality posts that make me love the forums

Adizzle1

Adizzle1

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Check your capsules, were you taking Betaine HCL or Betaine Anhydrous, thats a common complaint with Betaine HCL.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check your capsules, were you taking Betaine HCL or Betaine Anhydrous, thats a common complaint with Betaine HCL.
Betaine HCL isn't going to cause GI issues. More than likely is going to benefit the GI.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Betaine HCL isn't going to cause GI issues. More than likely is going to benefit the GI.
Really? I always thought the hcl was no bueno...

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Why isn't it used instead then?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I get my betaine from PowerMax XT. I've also gotten it from other supplements (daily staple supplements and various pre-workouts). As for bulk powders, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to list the companies here, but you can PM me.

For a while I mixed a ton of bulk powders every day (creatine, betaine, taurine, glutamine with alanine, etc), but it's so much easier to just get it all from one supplement (PowerMax, Triumph, etc). It saves a decent amount of time, and tastes a lot better too.
Betaine has no taste, lol.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Betaine has no taste, lol.
I was saying that a flavored "staple" supplement tastes better than an unflavored mixture of several bulk powders including creatine, betaine, and other bulk powders. Creatine and betaine don't really have a taste, but a flavored powder still tastes better, haha.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Bulk cissus. Filthy. Absolutely FILTHY......

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Bulk cissus. Filthy. Absolutely FILTHY......
I believe it was bulk creatine CEE. When I first stated lifting, there were posts stating it was better than mono. I got some and the stuff is like straight battery acid. It burned all the way going down.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I believe it was bulk creatine CEE. When I first stated lifting, there were posts stating it was better than mono. I got some and the stuff is like straight battery acid. It burned all the way going down.
In this particular case, that was nature's way of telling you not to use it, haha.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Tastes like burning does not sound pleasant. Cissus tastes like eating dirt. Like your 4 or 5 year old self would love it.

ryane87

ryane87

Awards
  • Established
Tastes like burning does not sound pleasant. Cissus tastes like eating dirt. Like your 4 or 5 year old self would love it.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? I always thought the hcl was no bueno...
It aids in digestion for those who have poor stomach acid production.

Not an ergogenic.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
I actually took both (at different times). I bought the HCL capsules before I knew the difference, then bought the anhydrous and switched to that. But (neither of) the capsules ever gave me any problem. It was only the raw betaine powder that did (when I added it to a protein shake).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
It aids in digestion for those who have poor stomach acid production.

Not an ergogenic.
This, and I can speak from experience on this through past digestive issues it really seemed to help.

But no ergogenic benefit as Kyle said

To the taste discussion above, betaine is definitely pretty tasteless, and actually a little sweet.

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
An older study but interesting..
"Betaine supplement enhances skeletal muscle differentiation in murine myoblasts via IGF-1 signaling activation"
Background
Betaine (BET) is a component of many foods, including spinach and wheat. It is an essential osmolyte and a source of methyl groups. Recent studies have hypothesized that BET might play a role in athletic performance. However, BET effects on skeletal muscle differentiation and hypertrophy are still poorly understood.

Methods
We examined BET action on neo myotubes maturation and on differentiation process, using C2C12 murine myoblastic cells. We used RT2-PCR array, Western blot and immunofluorescence analysis to study the BET effects on morphological features of C2C12 and on signaling pathways involved in muscle differentiation and hypertrophy.

Results
We performed a dose–response study, establishing that 10 mM BET was the dose able to stimulate morphological changes and hypertrophic process in neo myotubes. RT2-PCR array methodology was used to identify the expression profile of genes encoding proteins involved in IGF-1 pathway. A dose of 10 mM BET was found to promote IGF-1 receptor (IGF-1 R) expression. Western blot and immunofluorescence analysis, performed in neo myotubes, pointed out that 10 mM BET improved IGF-1 signaling, synthesis of Myosin Heavy Chain (MyHC) and neo myotubes length.

In addition, we investigated BET role on myoblasts proliferation and differentiation. During proliferation, BET did not modify C2C12 proliferative rate, but promoted myogenic induction, enhancing MyoD protein content and cellular elongation. During differentiation, BET caused an increase of muscle-specific markers and IGF-1 R protein levels.

Conclusions
Our findings provide the first evidence that BET could promote muscle fibers differentiation and increase myotubes size by IGF-1 pathway activation, suggesting that BET might represent a possible new drug/integrator strategy, not only in sport performance but also in clinical conditions characterized by muscle function impairment.

http://translational-medicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1479-5876-11-174

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
SNS 100G can be found for under $10 if you look hard enough :)

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Would this enhance the effects of MK677 or am I off base here?

JohnnieFreeze

JohnnieFreeze

Awards
  • Established
Would this enhance the effects of MK677 or am I off base here?
Assuming the study has merit of Betaine promoting muscle fibers differentiation stacking the two seems logical..another idea is stacking Betaine with MGF which promotes muscle cell proliferation...perhaps good synergy between compounds that proliferate and differentiate.