Need advice on working out?

drummerman247

Awards
How many different exercises do you perform during one training session when working different muscles. For example doing biceps, would I do three different exercises for my biceps or what and etc. ? I am just starting out on working out if you need that info..any help will be greatly appreciated

nparisi

nparisi

Awards
  • Established
3 exercises of 3-4 sets is most common for the large muscle groups. This all depends on your rep scheme, training regiment, rest, etc.
Start with 3 exercises with 3 sets of 8-10. Hit muscle groups once per week. See how it goes for you. You'll be able to tell if you can handle more or not. Don't train a muscle when it's sore. After getting the hang of this and getting form down maybe look into the 5x5 program.

waynaferd

waynaferd

Awards
  • Established
Close, but NO!

You'll want to do some deadlifts for your back and 800 other muscles (exaggerated, of course), then after do a set to hit your bis, maybe shrugs to hit your traps, etc....don't plan on 3 sets of anything doing much for biceps....

You want to set your routine up so one day is for your chest (bench press, flyes, then something for your tri's)

Then you'll want a day for legs (start with squats, then do extensions, calf raises, etc)

On a back day, start with deadlifts, then try pull ups, rows, etc....THAT will work your biceps alot in itself, then do your curls after.

Pretty much do the compunds FIRST, which recruits a sh!t ton of muscles to do (squat bench deads) then do the isloations (curls, extensions, etc)

But like nparisi said, 3-4 sets at 8-10 reps works good.

Hopefully this helped, and if your curious about doing any exercise search for it on youtube, and start out light to make sure your form is A-OK.

When I first started I'd go 5-5-5, work up to 5-5-6, etc, to 5-5-8, then once I could do 2 sets of 6 and 1 set of 8 I'd up the weight and start over at the 5-5-5 again. BTW, this isn't the 5x5 stated above, which you may want to google or search on here (bill starr 5x5 or madcow 5x5).