Need a New Mattress

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's time to get a new mattress. Ours is just too hard/stiff. I figured out I'm less achy and don't wake as much in other beds when traveling, or even sleeping in the guest room in our house. Anyone have any suggestions on an affordable yet great mattress?

Or, are the mattress toppers with it? Sleep Number has one for $300.

Last edited:
nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's time to get a new mattress. Ours is just too hard/stiff. I figured out I'm less achy and don't wake as much in other beds when traveling, or even sleeping in the guest room in our house. Anyone have any suggestions on an affordable yet great mattress?

Or, are the mattress toppers with it? Sleep Number has one for $300.
Mattress toppers are a bandaid IME. They work but you have to keep replacing them.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Mattress toppers are a bandaid IME. They work but you have to keep replacing them.
I'm ok with a bandaid for now to make sure this is the real issue behind my sleep issues. Any suggestions on brand?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I tried https://www.tuftandneedle.com/ and https://www.bedinabox.com/products/bed-in-a-box-tranquillium-mattress

I was happiest, personally with the bed-in-a-box. the mattress my wife and i use now however is traditional style and like 10 years old so PROBABLY due for replacement but neither of us are having issues with it. if I remember later I can try to check the brand for you but I'm at work now. she got it before i was in the picture for around $2500 I believe. (she offered to get a new bed when I did come into her life lol)

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
honestly the reason I tried bed in a box was because years ago I was having back issues and slept best on the 4-6" foam mattress on my boat. AND a buddy of mine from a previous lifting forum was sold on the foam mattresses.

To be honest now days the only time I have back issues is either cause stress or because I haven't been doing deadlifts/RDL's. so I'm not sure if my mattress is the cure or my training........

J

JD284

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Not affordable but I bought one of the higher end sleep number beds with all the bells and whistles. It was like 10k but the best purchase ever, totally worth it. I would recommend a bed replacement if possible for all of the adjustments. A lot of time is spent in bed

AKSlater1

AKSlater1

Awards
I have a Bear mattress. I believe it is the classic one, as I’ve had it before any of the other models were out. My wife and i enjoy it. Mostly side sleeper.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm ok with a bandaid for now to make sure this is the real issue behind my sleep issues. Any suggestions on brand?
Nope and I used a few over the years. It's more about style than brand. You need a pretty thick memory foam one; those egg-crate style cheap ones do nothing.

I did also end up buying a sleep number, though...

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
i have been doing some research and I think the wife and I are going with Ghost Bed ... we have a really expensive topper and it sucks I hate it. it feels like your sleeping in a taco.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i have been doing some research and I think the wife and I are going with Ghost Bed ... we have a really expensive topper and it sucks I hate it. it feels like your sleeping in a taco.
Wut do you mean by sleeping in a taco? LOL

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nope and I used a few over the years. It's more about style than brand. You need a pretty thick memory foam one; those egg-crate style cheap ones do nothing.

I did also end up buying a sleep number, though...
Sleep number mattress or topper?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the edges feel like they are lifting (they are not coming off) and you roll to the middle of the bed. also sheets dont fit well over it and the plush matress below. its an all around sh17 show.
This is true. toppers serve a purpose but are a bitch. my wife ordered like a 2 or 4" one for the boat that I had to cut to shape since the bed is a weird bow shape. we have to like completely remake the bed every time. it's a bitch.

DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
I have a Bob-o-Pedic foam mattress on an adjustable motorized frame that was given to me. Replacement mattress was like $800 but well worth it.

That definitely helped my back issues and it left me with no sores when I was bedridden with illness some time back.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cheap and good mattress are words that only go together when people ask about them but almost never go together with the answer. It is an 8-10 year purchase, is 250 a year for solid sleep a worthy investment? Also if going with memory foam you want to spring for a cooling mattress otherwise the heat levels are pretty ridiculous especially in the warm months.

You can find "decent feeling" memory foam mattresses for 300 online but you will want to replace them almost yearly because they are cheap and the memory foam develops Alzheimer's. So you end up in a soup bowl pretty quickly.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
that said, I've never really complained about sleeping on the ground with my backpack for a pillow when hunting lol