Need a little clarification on post workout food

kevmac

Awards
I want to get rid of my mid section. I am 180lbs and should be around 170lbs.I think the Muscle Milk and other products I used are just adding to the gut. So I bought 45 lbs of ATW whey isolate and whey blend. These two have about 100 calories per 20-25 grams protein. I figure I can start taking it 3 to 5 times per day. The question I have is, should I be taking about 40 grams protein post workoout for strong weight training, and should I be mixing the waxy maize starch that I just bought in with it (given my gut situation)? I want to lose the gut but not in order to sacrifice strength gains. I guess I am a little unclear why I need carbs post workout anyway.

(This is what I take preworkout: caffein, citrulline malate, acetyl l carnitine, d-ribose, more. And during workout: I like maltodextron, ceem, aminos, crystal light.)

thanks

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100 calories and 25g of protien sounds perfect for some1 trying to lose fat yet build some muscle. You can take the shake 3 times a day, but limit some of your other fatty and high carb foods you eat.

Fat on your stomach must be burned by burning calories, your body just may lose fat there last and store it there first. Some people have fat arms, legs, etc. So keep up with the weight training and the cardio.

You need carbs post workout to recharge and force the protien into your muscles. And begin the recovery and building process immediatley.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
You need carbs post workout to recharge and force the protien into your muscles. And begin the recovery and building process immediatley.
To pick up where he left off. Maybe mix some oatmeal with your protein post workout or have some whole wheat bread and or fruit with your protein. Some of those slower complex carbs instead of something quick like WMS. Give one of those options a try for a few weeks and see what happens.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
I want to get rid of my mid section. I am 180lbs and should be around 170lbs.I think the Muscle Milk and other products I used are just adding to the gut. So I bought 45 lbs of ATW whey isolate and whey blend. These two have about 100 calories per 20-25 grams protein. I figure I can start taking it 3 to 5 times per day. The question I have is, should I be taking about 40 grams protein post workoout for strong weight training, and should I be mixing the waxy maize starch that I just bought in with it (given my gut situation)? I want to lose the gut but not in order to sacrifice strength gains. I guess I am a little unclear why I need carbs post workout anyway.

(This is what I take preworkout: caffein, citrulline malate, acetyl l carnitine, d-ribose, more. And during workout: I like maltodextron, ceem, aminos, crystal light.)

thanks
PWO, I wouldn't go too crazy on the PRO. In another thread here, I cited a study which looked at any more than 20g of protein as being wasteful in some key regards. I'd prolly keep it simple to 20-25g of whey + 50g-75g or so of malto/dex and see how that goes. If you're usin' creatine, you could add it here per the ISSN recommendation, making for a PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake...

HarryManback

HarryManback

Awards
"PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake"

I need a translation on that please. Also the only thing I take post workout is Xtend right after, and then right before bed. Going on the idea that it will keep me anabolic with little to no calories.

Universal Rep

Universal Rep

UniversalUSA.com
Awards
  • Established
"PRO + CHO + Cr postworkout shake"

I need a translation on that please. Also the only thing I take post workout is Xtend right after, and then right before bed. Going on the idea that it will keep me anabolic with little to no calories.
Sorry. Just the basics. Protein (PRO), plus carbs (CHO), and some creatine (Cr)--all combined.