Myth or Fact lets start our own!

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
ok got this from Tnation they always have alot of good articles but i had a couple i want you guys opinon on..

1. Pullups and Lat pulldowns are neccessary for a huge back?
I think its a myth i havent done lat pulldowns heavy since last year and havent ever dont pull ups and my back looks sweet. Ill put up pics here soon. I think all they do is tear up your shoulders..

2. Leg Press is best for fastest leg growth?
Myth I feel better doing the sitting up leg press then the 45 Degree leg press. I rather do a set of squats to failure then load up the leg press gives me a better pump.

3. Dont go Heavy on Leg extentions. I do 20,15,12,8,6,4 rep scheme and go heavy as i can and my quads are starting to show

4. Benching heavy with non powerlifting style leads to shoulder injuries?
Myth- im on the fence about this one but i honestly think that bringing the bar down beow ur ecs while laying flat on the bench using ur front delts creats the best benching power.

5. You have to work shoulders directly?
Fact- i thought u didnt but ever since i have been my shoulders recover quicker after bench, handle more weight on bench and they are deffintely worth the extra day.

Anyone else got some? or arguements to what i put id love to hear it.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
1) Wide grip pull-ups work the latissimus dorsi 'better': myth. They actually recruit more motor units of the deltoid which is why they are more difficult to perform. If they recruited more motor units of the latissimus dorsi the pull-up would become easier since that is the primary muscle used for pulling. EMG research has confirmed this.

There are a ton more, but I'm not going to debate them with the majority of the people here because it isn't worth it to me anymore.

To the OP: The best benching power is a direct +y/-y motion with zero x movement. A vector analysis can prove this. Just an fyi

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
1) Wide grip pull-ups work the latissimus dorsi 'better': myth. They actually recruit more motor units of the deltoid which is why they are more difficult to perform. If they recruited more motor units of the latissimus dorsi the pull-up would become easier since that is the primary muscle used for pulling. EMG research has confirmed this.

There are a ton more, but I'm not going to debate them with the majority of the people here because it isn't worth it to me anymore.

To the OP: The best benching power is a direct +y/-y motion with zero x movement. A vector analysis can prove this. Just an fyi
Agreed. I love the fact that you just said a "vector analysis".

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
ok got this from Tnation they always have alot of good articles but i had a couple i want you guys opinon on..

1. Pullups and Lat pulldowns are neccessary for a huge back?
I think its a myth i havent done lat pulldowns heavy since last year and havent ever dont pull ups and my back looks sweet. Ill put up pics here soon. I think all they do is tear up your shoulders..
While they are not needed for back growth they are definitely important for having a balanced back. If done correctly pullups should not bother you shoulders, but they will definitely increase your strength and size. Long story short, there are numerous benefits to pullups and you should be including them in your training. Pulldowns I could see doing without.

2. Leg Press is best for fastest leg growth?
Myth I feel better doing the sitting up leg press then the 45 Degree leg press. I rather do a set of squats to failure then load up the leg press gives me a better pump.

3. Dont go Heavy on Leg extentions. I do 20,15,12,8,6,4 rep scheme and go heavy as i can and my quads are starting to show
Extensions do put a lot of stress around the knee, it isn't so much that you shouldn't go heavy its more that you should control your reps. Many people more or less kick the weight up out of the bottom rather than applying force throughout the whole movement.
4. Benching heavy with non powerlifting style leads to shoulder injuries?
Myth- im on the fence about this one but i honestly think that bringing the bar down beow ur ecs while laying flat on the bench using ur front delts creats the best benching power.
Do more pullups and bring up your back strength and see if your thoughts change on this. You may be able to lock out a heavier load with your elbows flared but you will never get the same drive off your chest as you would by using a natural elbow tuck and engaging your lats.
5. You have to work shoulders directly?
Fact- i thought u didnt but ever since i have been my shoulders recover quicker after bench, handle more weight on bench and they are deffintely worth the extra day.
While I agree that you need to directly work your shoulders, I don't think they need their own day. By doing some direct work during an upper bodu day you are going to get blood to the muscle which will help with recover and stimulate the muscle enough for growth. If your shoulders are really lagging behind doing some additional work will definitely help, but you don't need an all out shoulder annihilation day once a week.
Anyone else got some? or arguements to what i put id love to hear it.
:bling:

brownstown89

Awards
  • Established
hmm makes sense i do control my leg extentions and dont lock out but i still do full reps. Shoulders i agree with u as well i usually do Push Press, Arnold Presses and upright rows and rear delt work thats it. either do cardio and/or biceps with it.

And Pmiller my bench has a curve up in the back area its so i cant really squeeze my shoulder blades together it kinda makes me do it with the cushion in the arch in the back. The nasty cheap benches with no arch kill my shoulder no matter what.

i still dont believe pull ups are essential but maybe im doing them wrong, i doubt it tho