My Fun-Filled EvoMuse Adventures

Yeah, only way I could clear 4k cals would be eating junk lol.

I'm trying to get 300+ grams protein while keeping total cals around 3k

He consumes a lot of milk & peanut butter!! His metabolism is crazy though. Even when not on bulk...he has to clear about 2800-3000 to not lose weight rapidly. He's always chasing gains!!
 
Day 12

Saturday, June 6 -- Weight: 240.0 lbs.

Was sick yesterday and was on my way to the gym when my stomach said NOPE. Sidelined me the whole evening. So, I squeezed in my high volume leg workout followed by delts and traps this morning. Over 3 hours of lifting -- all fasted.

Made improvements pretty much across the board. Legs were blown up to the point of painfulness. Delts ended up looking crazy striated.
 
Day 13

Sunday, June 7 -- Weight: 240.6 lbs.

300g protein again (woof, lol).

Basketball on tap for 2 hours from now.
 
Day 15

Tuesday, June 9 -- Weight: 240.0 lbs.

Took the day off from training to give my body some rest as I was feeling kind of run down. Ended up eating some pizza (Defuse and ST prior, of course) and watching the basketball game last night. The meal was in preparation of hitting a high volume back workout tonight instead and then going straight to basketball. So a good~4 hours of working out tonight all on lower cals and low carbs.

Hit the grocery after work and got some food for the week -- 11 pounds of chicken and 5 pounds of beef ;)

Day 16

Wednesday, June 10 -- Weight: 242.0 lbs.

Expected the small jump from last night's meal. We'll see what it drops down to after tonight.

I'll break the fast in another 2 hours or so with just some PBC Select protein, then dose my pre-workout stuff to go lift, down ~50g whey isolate, wait a bit, hit my CardioTryx, then play some ball. Follow that up with a couple scoops of the new Modern Protein, then go home and eat some chicken or roast beef -- haven't decided yet.
 
4 hours...I bet you were worn OUT!!
 
Day 17

Thursday, June 11 -- Weight: 235.8 lbs.

Yep, 6.2 lbs. swing lol.

Went and got in my high volume back workout (~500+ total reps) and then headed over to play basketball about 30 minutes after. Lifting session was only about an hour (I worked quickly) and played ball for 2 hours straight -- we only had 10, so no extras and no sitting. It was 90+ degrees here yesterday (and still was into the evening) and that gym has no AC. I felt miserable.

Only ate about 1400 calories total and didn't get to my 300g protein goal, but got over 250g. Only carbs yesterday were the trace ones found in my 2 scoops of PES Select and 2 scoops of USP Modern proteins.

Today swings me back to my heavy week and it'll be arms, this afternoon. Still gonna try to keep cals and carbs a little bit lower, though obviously not as dramatic as yesterday just to see what that does.

Definitely felt good waking up a little leaner/tighter this morning after all of that. Feel absolutely exhausted and physically run down right now (and not looking forward to push-mowing our monster of a hill front yard tomorrow and also just got requested to help my wife's best friend's family do some moving, as well -- woof).
 
Day 18

Friday, June 12 -- Weight: 237.4 lbs.

Absolutely destroyed my arms last night. It was my heavy session, but I added in some nice moderate rep work at the end to just fatigue them to the point of no return. Huge pump. Finished off by doing a superset on alternating DB curls and did 30's, 25's, 20's, and 15's all for a set of 12 (no rest between each one). Some young kid was baffled looking at me (I'm not small) wincing in pain as I was curling those 15's and looked like my eyes were about to bug out lol. But it's all about listening to the muscle and not worrying about ego. I did them super slow and concentrated on the contractions and made sure tension was constantly applied, even to the arm that was waiting to start the next movement. Crazy to feel the pain from such a small weight.

Numbers held steady or went up on most everything. Only thing that screwed me was my tri-bar pulldowns on the pulley. I honestly think it's because I used a different pulley than I had been (the set at the gym has the wide cables in the middle, then has 2 low row stations on one side, 2 lat stations directly across from them, and then 2 high pulleys on the far ends (so basically there is a triangle of stations at each end, sandwiched between wide cables for flys). Anyway, the far end I usually work at was in use, so I grabbed the other. My weight acclimation was fine (60, 100, 130 -- all went up smooth for a couple reps). Set it at 160 (where I'd been working in weeks past) and hyped myself up and went for the first pull and go it moved down like 2 inches and had to let it up. Nothing I could do but laugh (or be a little pansy and complain about it) -- I chose to laugh. I can only assume people saw that and I'd rather laugh at myself than act like a baby. Set it down to 130 where I knew I got it up with no problem and banged out my reps. Bumped to 145, same thing. Went ahead and just added a 5 to the top and hit 150 for the last one, and then just burned out on some lower weight. We'll see what next week brings on that one.

But all in all a solid workout and my arms felt great.

Legs on tap for this afternoon and then helping my friends' parents move some furniture this evening...lol.
 
Day 19:

Saturday, June 13 -- Weight: 239.8 lbs.

Had a pretty great heavy delts/traps session. Hit a new PR of 630x6 on my shrugs on the smith machine (630 lbs. added to the machine). Had some nice vascularity and striations showing up on the delts.

Day 20:

Sunday, June 14 -- Weight: 238.6 lbs.

No basketball. I bruised my ankle slightly on Friday night helping move furniture and I'm sure it would've been fine, but we went to Louisville for the day after church, anyway. Went and saw Jurassic World and then went to a baseball game. Got some good food in before we left, then the wife went and got popcorn at the movie so of course I ate it lol. Convinced her to go to Applebee's after so we could at least get some regular food before going to the stadium. Had a really nice chicken wrap and started off with some wings. Not the best stuff in the world, but got my protein in (and barely had room for any fries since I ate those wings -- good trade off). Wife went and got ice cream at the game, too, lol. So I had ice cream as well.

Nothing terrible, but my body definitely can feel the difference, so I'm glad those days are only few and far between.

Day 21:

Monday, June 15 -- Weight: 241.0 lbs.

No cardio to sweat it out this weekend and I have a chance to play tonight, but I think I'm just going to lift and give the ankle another 2 days to rest. Heavy chest on tap for tonight.
 
Day 22:

Tuesday, June 16 -- Weight: 240.0 lbs.

Monday's chest session was one of the best I've had in quite some time. My heaviest set on bench was only 295x6, but my 3 working sets were that, preceded by 285x6 and 290x6. Not only that, they were all without a spotter and with a huge focus on actually pushing and stretching from the chest. Normally, my delts take over quite a bit and I can push more weight that way, but this is about targeting the muscle; not bragging about what I lift. Well, with actual barbell bench, it's harder for me with the left shoulder rolled forward for me to truly put intention on my chest -- but I did it. Also did some lower weight work and really banged out some great numbers.


Day 23:

Wednesday, June 17 -- Weight: 240.8 lbs.

Woke up on Tuesday and had a minor twinge in my lower back on the lefthand side (right at the waist, just barely to the left of my spine). I've had it before, but it's never a big issue. Well, it wasn't really painful, but I did notice it every time I was seated. I normally lead with deadlifts, but decided to start with my lat pulldowns just in case I wasn't able to dead. Did well on the pulldowns and really got a nice focus on the lats with the work. Went ahead and put my belt on and prepped for deads, but just started with a plate on each side to make sure I could even go through the motion. It was fine, so I just kept adding a little bit. Ended up going 135/225/275/325/345 for my sets of 6. That 345 isn't even remotely impressive, but considering the way my back felt, I was happy to at least still get it in and not skip out completely -- wasn't about to sideline myself for a month.

Basketball is on tap for tonight and it'll be a high protein, low everything else day (no direct carb intake).
 
Woohoo! Congrats on the PR!
 
Day 24:

Thursday, June 18 -- Weight: 236.0 lbs.


2 and a half hours of basketball in a gym with no A/C on a 90 degree day. Closer to 2 hours playing time because we did lose and have to sit one game, but I was running the entire rest of the time there. Diet for yesterday was:

1:00 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select
3:30 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select
8:30 PM -- 3 scoops USP Modern Protein
9:30 PM -- 2 third-pound 96/4 burger patties topped with 2 slices reduced fat cheese (each) + 2 jalapeno cheddar brats
10:30 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select

~320g protein and shoot, no idea on total cals, but it was super low lol

Love seeing that 5 pound swing after a basketball day.

Dosed my CardioTryx an hour out, took my pre + 1 cap Bronkaid about 20 minutes before and then rock and rolled.
 
Day 24:

Thursday, June 18 -- Weight: 236.0 lbs.


2 and a half hours of basketball in a gym with no A/C on a 90 degree day. Closer to 2 hours playing time because we did lose and have to sit one game, but I was running the entire rest of the time there. Diet for yesterday was:

1:00 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select
3:30 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select
8:30 PM -- 3 scoops USP Modern Protein
9:30 PM -- 2 third-pound 96/4 burger patties topped with 2 slices reduced fat cheese (each) + 2 jalapeno cheddar brats
10:30 PM -- 2 scoops PES Select

~320g protein and shoot, no idea on total cals, but it was super low lol

Love seeing that 5 pound swing after a basketball day.

Dosed my CardioTryx an hour out, took my pre + 1 cap Bronkaid about 20 minutes before and then rock and rolled.

Shew. I would have being dying in that gym. No wonder you see the weight swings when you play as much as you do!! And now I want burger patties for dinner!!
 
Shew. I would have being dying in that gym. No wonder you see the weight swings when you play as much as you do!! And now I want burger patties for dinner!!

Yep, surface temp is pretty high and gets pretty rough. I drink a ton of water and a combo of Compete/Taurine throughout, as well. But taking in only ~500 calories before hand and no carbs makes for some fun times ;)
 
Yep, surface temp is pretty high and gets pretty rough. I drink a ton of water and a combo of Compete/Taurine throughout, as well. But taking in only ~500 calories before hand and no carbs makes for some fun times ;)

I bet. You are tougher than me...I'd be on floor passed out.
 
Day 25:

Friday, June 19 -- Weight: 239.0 lbs.

*Ended up taking the day off to rest (doubled up on Saturday)

Day 26:

Saturday, June 20 -- Weight: 242.8 lbs.

*Banged out a delts/traps HIT session, followed right up by a legs HIT session (both lasted right around 45 minutes apiece -- was drenched in sweat when I was done.

Day 27:

Sunday, June 21 -- Weight: 246.8 lbs.

*Played 2 hours of basketball -- only had 3-on-3 and then 4-on-4, so it was all half court, but the lateral movement was actually more exhausting. Plus, I never stay in one spot. Even as a "bigger" guy, I'm always screening or moving to other spots to open up the floor. Finished that up by push-mowing our entire front lawn which is at about a 40% incline (no exaggeration). So I got about 1.5 hours of hill-climbs in while pushing that mower. Total cals for the day were well under 1500. Got my 300g protein in and not much of anything else.

Day 28:

Monday, June 22 - Weight: 241.8 lbs.

*HIT chest session on tap for tonight








Well, as you can see, over the past chunk of days the scale has been a freakin roller coaster. Seriously, just don't even know. Also, this is why I weigh in daily, because if I picked the wrong day to weigh in, I'd have a very different picture. I've let the diet get a tad bit looser, but not even close enough to explain those jumps. Still getting in my 300g protein, but at most my cal total may have reached near 4k a time or two (but I still doubt even that). Anyway, made sure I dialed it in crazy yesterday (like I normally do on cardio days, anyway). Thinking I may do the same thing today just to see what I can do and for fear of seeing the scale climb too much (because it's like pulling teeth with me -- very hard to get it down and keep it there -- very easy to lose that progress and climb).
 
Day 29:

Tuesday, June 23 - Weight: 244.2 lbs.

Day 30:

Wednesday, June 24 - Weight: 246.0 lbs.


Once again I'm back to the "...okay, and what is my body doing right now?" Calories and macros haven't shifted around, training isn't any different. Seems as though my body is just in a mood to add mass right now. I'll be monitoring it and see what's what.

Basketball on tap for tonight.
 
Oh the frustrations of the stupid scale! I completely understand! You are putting in the work and you know you're doing the right things! Don't let it frustrate you! (Easier said than done, I know alllllllllllll too well) We just have to keep pushing forward and focus on health/long term goals more than a #.
 
Oh the frustrations of the stupid scale! I completely understand! You are putting in the work and you know you're doing the right things! Don't let it frustrate you! (Easier said than done, I know alllllllllllll too well) We just have to keep pushing forward and focus on health/long term goals more than a #.

Oh for sure. I completely get that.

The more puzzling part (since I've dealt with this same thing happening over the years on numerous occasions) is the past week or so. Up until then it was a couple pounds at most with only swings happening around cardio days and then bouncing back up. What's happened as of late, however, is I've lost my ~235 common ground and am now up around 245. That 10 pounds stabilizing in that amount of time isn't just water or glycogen.

And before hand I'd dealt with my weight mostly staying the same (no real "loss"), but then this would happen and after that it would stabilize a bit, then go up and do it again and again; but never go down. But without altering exercise, calories or macro intake, that much change in this small of a window doesn't add up.
 
That's what I've been dealing with! Once I started my cut in January I gained 10 lbs...I have roughly lost 7 of that 10 but have yet to actually loose anything from my bulk this past winter! Putting me much heavier than I care to be! I don't understand it at all! Doesn't make since how you can gain weight while cutting calories. I have actually decided that here in a few weeks, I am going to maintain for a while and see if my body will correct whatever is going on. Then maybe I'll be able to cut some fat!!
 
Day 31

Thursday, June 25 - Weight: 242.8 lbs.

Only got 1.5 hours of ball in yesterday because the guy who normally runs it wasn't there and the worship group wasn't practicing, so instead of getting to stay til 8 (or as late as we want), we got the boot at 7. Luckily, the team that picked me up for Game 1 won every time, so we still got 4 games in (in a gym with no A/C on another 90 degree day...lol).
 
Back
Top