My Cardiologist Doesn't Believe in TRT :(

jonko

Awards
I went to see my cardiologist to discuss my high blood preside since being on Androgel.
Well, he is apparently not a fan a TRT. He said that it can increase the size of the heart, just like it causes other muscles to grow.
After the lecture, he did say that there are some studies that suggest TRT can actually help reverse heart failure in some people.

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't"..............

I don't understand why TRT can have these negative effects. If someone is low or testosterone deficient, and TRT brings levels to a normal number, why would that have a negative effect on the heart?

Regarding my HBP, today it was 135/93
Next week a stress test and echo then if it's still high meds, or stop TRT :(

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are not a lot of doctors that believe in TRT. My doctor certainly would never suggest it. My doc hardly ever puts me on medications. I don't know I guess that could be a good sign because a lot of doctors push meds hard. Are you taking anything that could raise blood pressure? Consider all supplements you take and cut out caffeine.

jonko

Awards
I am now taking coq10' calcium, magnesium, potassium, and garlique.

I was taking Lexapro but I stopped one week ago, feel much better off that crap.

Down to one cup coffee a day.

Everything is pointing to gel.

Saturday I see my other doc who just did a massive blood works up via Genova. I'm hoping those results will shed some light.

Perhaps DHT ? Perhaps try shots? I'll see what he thinks

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
Mine doesnt really either, but he's not telling me NO either. Both my Cardio and family doc say I have to watch my Hematocrit (it hovers about 52-54) because it can put a strain on your heart. Espeically since I had a mild heart attack last year.

whytknyt05

Awards
I am now taking coq10' calcium, magnesium, potassium, and garlique.

I was taking Lexapro but I stopped one week ago, feel much better off that crap.

Down to one cup coffee a day.

Everything is pointing to gel.

Saturday I see my other doc who just did a massive blood works up via Genova. I'm hoping those results will shed some light.

Perhaps DHT ? Perhaps try shots? I'll see what he thinks
I'd bump on that. Try to see if you can find a cardio dr who is also a member of the life extension foundation or the anti aging institution. They're a little more educated on these subjects and more open minded

I would love to be in the same town as Dr.John from allthingsmale.com. That guy is an amazing dr. I know they take patients over the internet; give it a try

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Well, he is apparently not a fan a TRT. He said that it can increase the size of the heart, just like it causes other muscles to grow.
That's a pretty ignorant thing for a doctor to say. Does he think someone can take exogenous testosterone and their muscles will grow without resitance training and huge increases in protein intake? If not, then how does the heart grow?
What are your post TRT testosterone levels? What is your post TRT estrogen levels? There are a number of things you should be checking to see if your blood pressure will come down naturally.

HondaV65

HondaV65

Awards
  • Established
This doctor is pretty stupid.

I'm not on TRT ... don't need it but from what I've read ...

Most (almost all) Docs who administer TRT will not attempt to "supercharge" your Test - they simply try to restore you to "normal" levels. In fact, most will roll back the dosage if you start exceeding "high normal".

Okay - well ... if THIS kind of TRT causes your heart to grow - then why aren't the hearts of males with NORMAL TEST (even HIGH NORMAL TEST), without TRT also growing???

Maybe he has a point with "self-administered" TRT - where some folks seem to aim for a "free test" reading of 1,000,000 - yes, that might have some very bad effects on the heart.

CoorsLight126

CoorsLight126

Awards
135/93? Ok, systolic is getting a little high but still falls 5 points into normal range. Maybe add a little more cardio and clean up the diet a bit, you'll be fine. You dont need meds yet, guy sounds like a ****ing idiot

crazycrew

crazycrew

Awards
I went to see my cardiologist to discuss my high blood preside since being on Androgel.
After the lecture, he did say that there are some studies that suggest TRT can actually help reverse heart failure in some people.

Your damned if you do and your damned if you don't"..............

I don't understand why TRT can have these negative effects. If someone is low or testosterone deficient, and TRT brings levels to a normal number, why would that have a negative effect on the heart?

Regarding my HBP, today it was 135/93
Next week a stress test and echo then if it's still high meds, or stop TRT :(
If your dosage is too high, Test can contribute to HBP. It can also increase your hemos which will contribute to it as well.
You would have to be doing massave doses and marathon training for your heart size to increase. (IMA)

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
135/93? Ok, systolic is getting a little high but still falls 5 points into normal range. Maybe add a little more cardio and clean up the diet a bit, you'll be fine. You dont need meds yet, guy sounds like a ****ing idiot
Thats what I was thinking, but didnt want to say it. I was like wtf? When I was thirty my bp was alot higher than that, they put me on some **** that me all kinds of sick, but the bp was my own fault, I was up around 260+lbs and no cardio, I started working out again and eating better, added in the much needed cardio, really got the diet back into check, dropped down to 205, and for over 6-7 years my bp was down around 110-115/80-85 unmedicated.