muscle twitching

fishone1

Awards
Does anyone know anything about what causes consistent muscle twitching predominately in legs?

I screwed up calf muscle, so I've been on a couch for two weeks, and I have two more to go till I can, at the least go back to work.

Since I'm not moving basically at all I cut my caloric intake to a 1000kcal below my bmr, since I'm trying to maintain the cut I was on before I got hurt. And I put myself into keto so I wouldn't lose that much muscle mass

for the last five days my leg muscles, all of them, have been twitching on an off. let's say if I flex my quad...it will just keep on twitching, wierd right?

I searched thru all the threads for something about muscle twitching, but the only thing I found was possibly a deficiency of magnesium. So I tripled my dose, and tripled my sh*ts, but still my leg muscles keep on twitching.

Am I loseing muscles even though I'm in keto because my intake is low...
are they just bored....
or is it what?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hope I put this in the right thread.:nervous:

MPFit

MPFit

Awards
  • Established
Two more things that might cause it:
Low potassium, dehydration. Is your urine yellow or clear? Try a few banana's a day until it is resolved.

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
dr jay in da house loll
ok
i got same symptoms
the twitching is caused my neurons miss firing
when u excersise alot and tire a muscle out and then sleep for instance ur body tend to fire those neurons and cause twitching. (i have that too and my teach explained it to me) so basically its missfiring of neurons. cure? maybe be lift lighter, massage area or rest ur legs for period of time. look inot what neurons are if u dont know

StuartGould

Awards
im not real dr btw,
maybe but pretty close!

Spontaneous contractions are due to "irritability" of either nerve or muscle.

Can be caused by low serum potassium or magnesium, high or low calcium (though more usually spasm), high blood lactate acid (can occur in ketotic states), nerve entrapment ( unlikely both sides), central nervous system disease ( do not worry!! Would be other sh&t such as severe musle weakness and wasting) and also simple disuse.

Hope of some help

StuartGould

Awards
Oh forgot! Also exhaustion states.

And rarely psych conditions such as anxiety. Shaking and involuntary movement was a prominent feature of the original descriptions of shell shock ( now recognised as PTSD).

JFYI, not trying to ininuate anything,,, ;-)

jay21

jay21

Banned
Awards
  • Established
SG who the **** are you? loll ur good. that basdically a reallly detail version good job!

StuartGould

Awards
SG who the **** are you? loll ur good. that basdically a reallly detail version good job!
Thanks!

I am a gi surgeon in the uk. Been lifting on and off (now v much on) since 1980s.

So I can still remember a bit about ortho, nutrition, physiology, injury etc:)

pretty s&!t at endocrinology though!

StuartGould

Awards
surgeon, nice nice must have ton of stories.
Oh yes!

hoping to start a thread " things removed from orifice where they shouldn't be"

Having some difficulty finding any relevance to weights. / bodybuilding though!