Muscle Soreness Supplements?

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably a REALLY easy post to respond to, but what do you guys use for muscle soreness after workouts?

Any good recommendations? I didn't used to get this sore but I'm getting up there in age, any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks again.

Robert5891

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What’s your protein intake and sleep like these days and how much are you training?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Muscle soreness is good. It is a sign of stress, and growth. Only bad if it excessive, and lasts many days. I hate not experiencing some form of muscle soreness.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Stretching and foam rolling as become a big thing for me postworkout....cbd could help as well

megadeth

megadeth

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Mass Pro Synthagen

The best recovery supplement hands down!

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe HMB or HICA. Possibly BCAA/EAA's, but definitely proper protein intake, sleep, rest and hitting your daily calorie intake. Stretching may help as well.

Also, I may have read doing some light work in between training days may help recovery. Not exactly sure where this came from or how true.

stopstalking

stopstalking

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’ve been taking Growth Factor XT and sleeping the whole night thru. It seems to be helping with soreness. Proper protein intake should help as well.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Appreciate all the responses guys! I am noting them all!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Proper protein intake should help as well.
Like he said making sure your diet is on point and your feeding you body enough calories and intaking enough water to recover. An Epicatechin product always helps me recover faster it seems.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
HICA
tart cherry
CBD

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Someone just needs to put out a LCLT, HICA, Tart Cherry product

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Indica cannabis - for relaxation

If there were a CBD + tiger balm type of topical that could be worth a try.

What ever happened to Tomatidine paired with UA (ursolic acid), or were these just hyped up well wishes ?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Indica cannabis - for relaxation

If there were a CBD + tiger balm type of topical that could be worth a try.

What ever happened to Tomatidine paired with UA (ursolic acid), or were these just hyped up well wishes ?
I rica works pretty well.

There is a great topical cbd product done in salvo which works very well.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tart Cherry is good stuff. I like to add SNS Taurine, and SNS Leucine around my workout. SNS creatine HCL is a staple of mine and of course make sure you’re getting in enough protein!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Someone just needs to put out a LCLT, HICA, Tart Cherry product
3g LCLT
2g Taurine
1.5g HICA
600mg Ashwagandha (as KSM-66)
480mg Tart Cherry

Would be relatively cheap.
Would be interesting.

I usually use PEScience TruRecover (tart cherry and HICA) or Controlled Labs Green Might (creatine, taurine, pomegranate, and tart cherry) to get my tart cherry.

Nutrex

Nutrex

Awards
I personally find CBD And tart cherry the best thing for me. 30mg of CBD at night and I wake up a new man.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Kratom. It’s an anaesthetic analgesic.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I would guess tianeptine might also provide a bit of pain relief.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Neither kratom nor tianeptine should be taken daily though, so while they may help if you’re particularly sore on occasion, I wouldn’t rely on them daily/regularly for muscle soreness like you could with HICA/LCLT/etc.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Frequency and consistency in the gym, and just taking care of your body pre and post workout.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Staples: Proper protein intake, BCAA's/EAA's pre & intra, and Creatine HCI &/or Magnesium Creatine Chelate, Epi-Plex
(I consider Epi-Plex a staple for me because it helps my endurance and endurance is something I struggle with a lot bc of a medical issue).

HICA & Tart Cherry

I've been really curious about ActiGin and wanting to try that. AstraGin gets plenty of attention for its absorption enhancement benefits but ActiGin looks interesting for endurance and recovery.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Optimal sleep (6-8hr depending on your current schedule)
Sufficient calories
Extreme stretching post workout (see Dante ~ Doggcrapp stretching methods)

...Then, possibly

SNS GFXT (enhances sleep)
5g creatine mono or 3g MCC (preference here)
Tart Cherry

Active recovery helps A LOT as well.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve been taking Growth Factor XT and sleeping the whole night thru. It seems to be helping with soreness. Proper protein intake should help as well.
Optimal sleep (6-8hr depending on your current schedule)
Sufficient calories
Extreme stretching post workout (see Dante ~ Doggcrapp stretching methods)

...Then, possibly

SNS GFXT (enhances sleep)
5g creatine mono or 3g MCC (preference here)
Tart Cherry

Active recovery helps A LOT as well.
I agree on Growth Factor XT as well. We get a lot of reports of improved recovery and decreased soreness with Growth Factor XT. I don't think to mention it sometimes when talking about recovery because its a staple supplement to me and has been forever. I don't have enough hours in the day to get enough sleep and find Growth Factor XT excellent for making sure that even though I don't get enough hours of sleep, the sleep that I do get is great quality sleep.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Staples: Proper protein intake, BCAA's/EAA's pre & intra, and Creatine HCI &/or Magnesium Creatine Chelate, Epi-Plex
(I consider Epi-Plex a staple for me because it helps my endurance and endurance is something I struggle with a lot bc of a medical issue).

HICA & Tart Cherry

I've been really curious about ActiGin and wanting to try that. AstraGin gets plenty of attention for its absorption enhancement benefits but ActiGin looks interesting for endurance and recovery.
The actigin does look intriguing but I haven’t been able to find any to test out (for a decent price) or that isn’t kind of sprinkled into a large formula.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The actigin does look intriguing but I haven’t been able to find any to test out (for a decent price) or that isn’t kind of sprinkled into a large formula.
Same here. The studies look great. So far the only places I've seen it used that I can remember are prop blends though. From the reading I've done, it looks like it would stack great with HICA and Tart Cherry.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Same here. The studies look great. So far the only places I've seen it used that I can remember are prop blends though. From the reading I've done, it looks like it would stack great with HICA and Tart Cherry.
I’ve seen it in a few products (several outbreak nutrition and inspired nutraceuticals products and a few ransoms as well), but too many other ingredients or in products I wouldn’t normally buy so not worth it yet.

After this I’m going to keep an eye on it a bit more though!

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This PES TruRecovery looks perfect from what a lot of you are suggesting..!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
3g LCLT
2g Taurine
1.5g HICA
600mg Ashwagandha (as KSM-66)
480mg Tart Cherry

Would be relatively cheap.
I'd also like to add 400 mg lemon verbena (as Recoverben) to this stack.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-018-0208-0

Background

Exhaustive exercise causes muscle damage accompanied by oxidative stress and inflammation leading to muscle fatigue and muscle soreness. Lemon verbena leaves, commonly used as tea and refreshing beverage, demonstrated antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of a proprietary lemon verbena extract (Recoverben®) on muscle strength and recovery after exhaustive exercise in comparison to a placebo product.

Methods

The study was performed as a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind study with parallel design. Forty-four healthy males and females, which were 22–50 years old and active in sports, were randomized to 400 mg lemon verbena extract once daily or placebo. The 15 days intervention was divided into 10 days supplementation prior to the exhaustive exercise day (intensive jump-protocol), one day during the test and four days after. Muscle strength (MVC), muscle damage (CK), oxidative stress (GPx), inflammation (IL6) and volunteer-reported muscle soreness intensity were assessed pre and post exercise.

Results

Participants in the lemon verbena group benefited from less muscle damage as well as faster and full recovery. Compared to placebo, lemon verbena extract receiving participants had significantly less exercise-related loss of muscle strength (p = 0.0311) over all timepoints, improved glutathione peroxidase activity by trend (p = 0.0681) and less movement induced pain (p = 0.0788) by trend. Creatine kinase and IL-6 didn’t show significant discrimmination between groups.

Conclusion

Lemon verbena extract (Recoverben®) has been shown to be a safe and well-tolerated natural sports ingredient, by reducing muscle damage after exhaustive exercise.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
red light therapy

I have the flashlight type RLT and using it for about 20 min per day. 660nm watt red light

gymgurus

Awards
well, i've tried everything. tart cherry juice, mass pro synthagen, aftershock recovery protein, watermelon juice and fit aid recovery varieties. nothing seems to alleviate the recurring pain in my quads primarily. and this is on top of staying in the sauna post workout. i'm considering adding post jym to the mix but i doubt it'll help much...

do you guys have any ideas?

i really could use your expertise here....

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
well, i've tried everything. tart cherry juice, mass pro synthagen, aftershock recovery protein, watermelon juice and fit aid recovery varieties. nothing seems to alleviate the recurring pain in my quads primarily. and this is on top of staying in the sauna post workout. i'm considering adding post jym to the mix but i doubt it'll help much...

i really could your expertise here....
i will suggest that what your trying to obtain may not be able to be found in a supplement (or a supplement can only help a little bit) and that issue is related to what movements you are doing or not doing (I.e. exercise selection, order of exercises, intensity, recovery movements, addressing weak points etc...).

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

Is this acute muscle soreness from training? If so, how many days per week are you training quads? For me, if I was to do legs once a week, I’m sure I would be quite sore for a couple days after leg workouts, but doing legs 2 to 3 times per week (and spreading the volume out accordingly) helps a lot

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Have you tried Phosphatidic Acid?

gymgurus

Awards
no, but it looks pretty expensive. i would be willing to purchase it if it's effective...

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
no, but it looks pretty expensive. i would be willing to purchase it if it's effective...
We will be launching SNS Phosphatidic Acid XT soon and it will contain Phosphatidic Acid at the correct dosage (a lot of brands don't use the clinically studied dosage due to cost) along with several more ingredients that may help with your issue. Being that it will have PA + more ingredients and should be available pretty soon, you may want to consider waiting on that one as far as price being a major concern.