Multi vitamins worth it?

nidhogg

Awards
General consensus where? On this board or in the real world? People in my daily contact have little belief that multi-vitamins work to correct deficiencies or to meet adequate RDA for all nutrients found within the capsule, so in that case your viewpoint goes against general consensus.
In the real world. Most of my collegues believe multivitamins are a waste because you end up pissing the excess out anyway. I have yet to meet a person that claim multivitamins are bogus or "sugar pills". But i get your point though.

I checked, for the hell of it, FDA and ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/MVMS-HealthProfessional/. Both are more concerned with MVs causing excess levels and poisoning from regular consumption in the HUGE chunk of population consuming them. This is not proof of anything other than the general consensus is indeed that multivitamins are believed to be sufficiently absorbed, at least sufficiently enough to cause an excess level.

Im not even going to cite whatever statements they claim because they probably dont weigh anything here. Instead i refer to this paper discussing bioequivalency and bioavailability of multivitamins and multiminerals: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/1/269S.full.pdf+html

To summarize states that a definite bioavailability is hard to determine due to the many regulatory mechanisms.
Vitamin and mineral bioavailability in MVMs is affected not

only by product but also by host factors. Host factors include
homeostatic mechanisms that regulate absorption or excretion
depending on the nutrient status of the host (eg, the iron status of
the host affects iron absorption) (27, 29). These factors vary by
age, sex, and physiologic state (eg, pregnancy) (29, 30, 37).
Homeostatic mechanisms may regulate circulating concentra-

tions of nutrients within a tight range and are therefore insensitive

to changes in ingested amounts or to utilization at the site of
action (27). The size of the ingested load may affect bioavail-
ability [eg, the absorption load of calcium varies inversely as the
logarithm of the load size(27), and single high doses of folic acid

exceed the metabolic capacity for reduction and methylation

(38)].

Table 3 gives an example of the bioavailability of a couple of vitamins and minerals.
Vitamin A DRI expressed as retinol activity equivalents (RAE):

2 ug supplemental all-trans -carotene = 12 ug dietary all-trans -carotene = 24 ug other dietary provitamin A carotenoids

Iron Algorithm for estimating dietary iron bioavailability:
18% bioavailability from a total diet based on
differences in absorption from heme- and nonheme-
iron sources in a mixed US diet

Folate DRI expressed as dietary folate equivalents (DFEs):
1 ug DFE = 0.6 ug folic acid from fortified food or as a supplement taken with meals = 1 ug food folate = 0.5 ug supplement taken on an empty stomach

Vitamin B-12 An assumed absorption from foods of 50% is included in the DRI, advise adults aged 51 y that foods fortified with vitamin B-12 or supplements containing vitamin B-12 be used to meet the DRI because of reduced absorption of food forms

The vitamin A and folate paragraph state that supplemental folate and vitamin A have higher bioavailability than the ones found in food forms. Folate is even best absorbed on empty stomach.

Although i dont believe in that you are completely wrong in stating that MVs may not treat deficiencies, and this is be cause i believe the deficiency originated from the inability to absorb or proper utilize the said nutrient to begin with. For the general population that do not suffer from vitamin malabsorption are able to absorb and untilize vitamins in MV form, although they probably do not "need" it.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
FWIW I have nothing against multi's but the unfortunate fact is that many people place or revolve their diets around them rather than food. Food takes longer to digest and as such, this process slows down the rate in which varying micro nutrients compete for receptors.

Alinshop

Banned
Awards
I used to take around 10 different vitamins each morning, but finally decided that most of it was overkill. I now take around 4 per day.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
One major problem with getting your RDA from food to me is, what type of individual is the RDA recommended for? I currently weigh 265, work out 5 days a week, and work 40-50 hours a week as a chef in hundred degree temps where I'm on my feet literally all day. I find it hard to believe my body doesn't burn through vitamins and minerals faster then your average person.

But I still do eat a pretty balanced diet. Most people have way more then enough time in the day to make healthy meals its just getting your priorities straight.

TyMan14

TyMan14

Awards
  • Established
In for more info and debate. Personally, Ive used multis for 2 years, but have never felt any different and just end up with neon piss. But I use them for an "insurance policy" like stated before. It makes me feel better if I end up missing x micro count for that day.

ForceOneSeven

Awards
I had been using multi's for years.(orange triad, Life force multi, ADAM, Opti Men) Around 6 months ago I dropped the multi and decided to start following the ACES+B-Complex vitamin Scheme and have noticed a HUGE difference. If you are able and willing to invest into this vitamin stack then I would highly recommend it.

zv3

zv3

Awards
Have you seen the "variety" of fruits and vegatables that have to be eaten on a daily basis? I saw a picture of what has to be eaten to get all your vitamins and I said to myself "heck I don't even eat 1/2 of the requirement!" Most of my fruits are seasonably obtained, so I only get to eat them a couple times a year. I would love to pick the 10 ten bodybuilders and see if they take a multi, I'm sure most of them DO. I've seen the pill tackle boxes some of these guys have and they are literally FILLED with vitamins!

Dr.Veritas

Dr.Veritas

Awards
  • Established
One thing always to keep in mind with Vitamins, actually supplements in general; They are SUPPLEMENTS, meaning they are SUPPLEMENTED in conjunction with a proper-balanced diet. Vitamins act as coenzymes that help your body carry out endergonic breakdown and various biological syntheses. Just pick a trusted brand and stick with it. I like Controlled Labs Orange Triad, great profile with a digestive complex.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
There are a few things I rarely ever go without: multi vitamin, fish oil, probiotics.

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
I had been using multi's for years.(orange triad, Life force multi, ADAM, Opti Men) Around 6 months ago I dropped the multi and decided to start following the ACES+B-Complex vitamin Scheme and have noticed a HUGE difference. If you are able and willing to invest into this vitamin stack then I would highly recommend it.
What have you noticed? I can't say I ever expect to "notice" taking supplemental vitamins. Did/Do you have any deficiencies or health issues?

Dr.Veritas

Dr.Veritas

Awards
  • Established
There are a few things I rarely ever go without: multi vitamin, fish oil, probiotics.

I agree, definitely a fundamental staple in anyones diet and age group.

ForceOneSeven

Awards
What have you noticed? I can't say I ever expect to "notice" taking supplemental vitamins. Did/Do you have any deficiencies or health issues?
More energy and an overall increased sense of well being. When I used to take multi's I never had these feelings. I think it has the most to do with switching out chemically engineered compounds that are typically found in multi's for vitamin compounds in their natural states. For example, I take 10,000 IU of Vitamin A coming from beta and mixed carotenoids. Not all but most multi's have cheaper forms of A such as retinol. The same could be said for most of the b vitamins. Example being cynacoblamin being the main source of b12 in most multi's. by taking an individual b vitamin supplement, I recieve all the co factors as well as the superior form of b12 methylcoblamin.

And to answer your question no I do not have any deficiencies or health issues.

ForceOneSeven

Awards
If I had to stand behind and multi it would defintely have to be source naturals life force.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For anyone who follows IF- when do u take your multi? I've taken it on an empty stomach in the morning for years, but I've recently switched to my post workout meal for better absorption. But now I've been reading studies about anti oxidants being bad for recovery post workout, so I'm thinking I need to take it with a different meal now lol.. Any input here?

veaderko

veaderko

Awards
For anyone who follows IF- when do u take your multi? I've taken it on an empty stomach in the morning for years, but I've recently switched to my post workout meal for better absorption. But now I've been reading studies about anti oxidants being bad for recovery post workout, so I'm thinking I need to take it with a different meal now lol.. Any input here?
I take iForce Athletic Multi with food a couple meals after my post workout, though I train in the morning. My udnerstanding is always to take it with food for better absorption, and I try to keep my postWO meals simple as possible and not because of any scientific reason just my own personal reasons.

SwolenONE

SwolenONE

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I take iForce Athletic Multi with food a couple meals after my post workout, though I train in the morning. My udnerstanding is always to take it with food for better absorption, and I try to keep my postWO meals simple as possible and not because of any scientific reason just my own personal reasons.
I love Athletic Multi due to the high orac anti ox and the good dose of coq-10. Always take one with the my first meal of the day and one with my second to last.

I usually rotate between this one and Anavite.

propho

Awards
  • Established
I'm still sticking with Nature's Way Alive .. the one that contains raw foods.. three bigass horse pills..

horizons

horizons

Awards
  • Established
After stopping multi vitamins and all vitamins (E & C etc) and I have never felt healthier and better. Taking synthetic or even so called "natural" multivitamins are useless for me and probably do more harm than good because if your diet is in check any extra synthetic vitamin is not going to be beneficial.

Just eat healthier. Simple