More FDA Garbage

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
FDA Panel Endorses Contrave Weight-Loss Drug - ABC News

This weight loss drug is an anti-depressant combined with an anti-addiction drug. The FDA approved it for obese individuals because those two medications are more important than "calories in" vs. "calories out". It was approved because it can help patients lose 5% more weight using the drug vs. placebo.

I wish I could make something with a 5% effectiveness and make billions.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw that this morning. What a joke. And then they were asking about what the difference was with Alli...

Maybe they'll make an awesome stack with Alli so people can feel happy while they sprint to the bathroom.

ouTTKAst

ouTTKAst

Awards
Most obese are depressed because their fat. They then eat because that's the way they deal with issues. The fda's solution, antidepressant fat loss pill. Wow, Ive seen it all. Their solution to obesity, I got an idea , why not do something like recommend eating10% less calories a day. Theirs no compensation fr hard work an diet. The last thing fat ass's need is a hope that taking this **** which causes blood pressure problems. The last thing over weight people need since there heart is having enough trouble. Wait till one of them decides they should be able to lose 10% percent more weight by doubling or the recommended dose(since obviously it works that way haha) an kills themselves or ruins some organs. Moral of story, people are retarded and lazy

T

Turk1976

Awards
Bupropion has been out for a long time and a lot of docs have used it in over-weight depressed patients specifically for the side effect of losing weight. Especially, since most other anti-depressants cause weight gain.

My guess is the naltrexone is their to get a longer patent/copyright and to try and separate themselves from cheap generic buproprion.

HereToStudy

HereToStudy

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Seriously, anti-depressant for weight loss? As if this country was force feeding enough people anti-depressants?

T

Turk1976

Awards
Seriously, anti-depressant for weight loss? As if this country was force feeding enough people anti-depressants?
Weight loss was an unintended side effect, kind of like the seizures :bigeyes:, it is also good at low doses to improve sexual function in patients that are having in issues due to SSRIs.

So in a nutshell, if you're fat, smoking, depressed, already on prozac/zoloft/paxil, and having issues getting off then bupropion is the drug for you :bigok:

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What they aren't telling you is that it also has Ritalin in it...you know, since we're all ADHD, too :lol:

T

Turk1976

Awards
What they aren't telling you is that it also has Ritalin in it...you know, since we're all ADHD, too :lol:
Doesn't have any methylphenidate in it but bupropion has been studied for ADHD/ADD and works pretty well for it.

It's a wonder drug :box:

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
That is kind of like a chicken before the egg question. Do people gain weight because they are depressed or are people over-weight first which leads to depression?

Either way, I don't seriously envision over weight people suddenly realizing they need to change their lives because all of the sudden they have a positive outlook.

Plus hasn't it been shown that improper usage of anti-depressants can lead to thoughts of suicide?

meathed

meathed

Awards
Doesn't have any methylphenidate in it but bupropion has been studied for ADHD/ADD and works pretty well for it.

It's a wonder drug :box:

So is Heroin, but I can't seem to find a prescribing physician.

This drug combo is one in a litany of retarded big pharma scams. Bupropion works as well as eating garbage for depression and is really only utilized as an addition to other antidepressants for "enhanced" effects and Naltrexone is a full opioid antagonist, so at best it could block pleasure signals induced by the consumption of food, in a very indirect way. Another weight loss drug of this methodology is Acomplia or Rimonibant. It is not approved for use in the USA but it works as a cannabinoid antagonist. Works just as not well. This whole market is just an excuse to placate the public and make exorbitant amounts of money. Furthermore, this particular pharmaceutical farce is a patented drug comprised of two long since generic drugs. A sad commentary for sure.

For my money I would go with the Alli for anal leakage and activated charcoal for stomach lavage. I should be able to eek out at least a few more lost pounds a month with that protocol.
:food::food::food:

T

Turk1976

Awards
So is Heroin, but I can't seem to find a prescribing physician.

This drug combo is one in a litany of retarded big pharma scams. Bupropion works as well as eating garbage for depression and is really only utilized as an addition to other antidepressants for "enhanced" effects and Naltrexone is a full opioid antagonist, so at best it could block pleasure signals induced by the consumption of food, in a very indirect way. Another weight loss drug of this methodology is Acomplia or Rimonibant. It is not approved for use in the USA but it works as a cannabinoid antagonist. Works just as not well. This whole market is just an excuse to placate the public and make exorbitant amounts of money. Furthermore, this particular pharmaceutical farce is a patented drug comprised of two long since generic drugs. A sad commentary for sure.

For my money I would go with the Alli for anal leakage and activated charcoal for stomach lavage. I should be able to eek out at least a few more lost pounds a month with that protocol.
I was going for sarcasm on "the wonder drug" comment, unfortunately it doesn't always come across on the interweb.

BTW, I completely agree about this being an idiotic waste of research and money. :)

meathed

meathed

Awards
I was going for sarcasm on "the wonder drug" comment, unfortunately it doesn't always come across on the interweb.

BTW, I completely agree about this being an idiotic waste of research and money. :)

I wasn't knocking you broham. Guess I should have added a... :veryhappy:

Cheers bro.

T

Turk1976

Awards
This reminded me of a friend that decided the Olestra chips were OK to eat in massive quantities. He ate 2 bags in one sitting and had some issues the next day :toilet:

He probably should have none better since we were both in pharmacy school at the time :bigeyes: