Mobility & Soft Tissue Work

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought I'd get a thread going about general mobility, flexibility, and soft tissue work. I, myself have taken a big interest in my overall health in regards to mobility and am wanting to learn the ways. I think a thread devoted to the subject and any resources each of you may have for tried and true ways to increase your mobility and decrease your chances of injury can benefit everyone on this site.

I've begun messing around with the lacrosse ball, double lacrosse ball, various sized bands for distractions, and rumble roller. I reference Becoming a Supple Leopard almost every day. Aside from that book, and a few YouTube pages (Donnie Thompson, DeFranco)-I personally haven't gone off of much else.

What tools do you all use? What resources do you reference? Anyone mess with a theracane? Any specific issues that you've learned to relieve via any of this? What are your WODs?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for subbing gents. Even if we can get something as simple as pics or videos of different drills you all encounter and want to share with each other, even as simple as they may be.

I've actually ditched my rumble roller for the most part. I'll use it before and after a workout, but I'm finding the doubled lacrosse ball to do the job, even if it isn't being used for targeted spots. Roll that mf'er down your IT band..

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sub'd for more info.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
activation is another under-recognized category IMO

I have a theracane but rarely use it. Warm up routines are usually pretty simple. Glute, core and lat activation, foam rolling, move through ROM. Basically something like defrancos upper and lower routines with a little kstar movements thrown in depending on the day and how im fdeling

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
activation is another under-recognized category IMO

I have a theracane but rarely use it. Warm up routines are usually pretty simple. Glute, core and lat activation, foam rolling, move through ROM. Basically something like defrancos upper and lower routines with a little kstar movements thrown in depending on the day and how im fdeling
Absolutely agree with you. Ive been doin DeFrancos Agile 8 and Simple 6 along with whatever correction action I need by using KStarr. Is a theracne worth the purchase in your opinion?

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I forget how much I paid but I think it was less than $20 on amazon. For the price I say it wouldnt hurt to have one laying around. What I mostly use it for is psoas release

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
Subbed! Trying to work through a partial infraspinatus tear and bulging discs at l4, l5, and a partial protrusion at s1(yep you guessed it, deadlift gone bad). In for any additional tips and tools to add to my proverbial chest.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I thought I'd get a thread going about general mobility, flexibility, and soft tissue work. I, myself have taken a big interest in my overall health in regards to mobility and am wanting to learn the ways. I think a thread devoted to the subject and any resources each of you may have for tried and true ways to increase your mobility and decrease your chances of injury can benefit everyone on this site.

I've begun messing around with the lacrosse ball, double lacrosse ball, various sized bands for distractions, and rumble roller. I reference Becoming a Supple Leopard almost every day. Aside from that book, and a few YouTube pages (Donnie Thompson, DeFranco)-I personally haven't gone off of much else.

What tools do you all use? What resources do you reference? Anyone mess with a theracane? Any specific issues that you've learned to relieve via any of this? What are your WODs?
My glutes, hamstrings and quads have recently become quite sore due to repeated and heavy squats. looking at a rumble roller for recourse. What has been your experience with that product in those areas if applicable?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My glutes, hamstrings and quads have recently become quite sore due to repeated and heavy squats. looking at a rumble roller for recourse. What has been your experience with that product in those areas if applicable?
I love the rumble roller. Usually you can get one of the nobs into a tender spot and work it out. It's good for the large surfaced areas (Back, quad, glute medius/minimus, hip flexors, ITB, Adductors)

A lacrosse ball, or similar sized hard ball would work much better for working deep into the glutes, scapula, other specific tender spots

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm going to be buying a foam roller from Elite FTS, what are your thoughts on the 12x6 compared to the 36x6? The 12x6 seems like a good option because it can fit into a gym bag easily, but I'm not sure if it can hit your entire back all at once?
The half rollers aren't nearly as good because they wear out quickly and don't hit as much.

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A budget option would be to pick up some PVC pipe from your local hardware store and cut it to your desired length. I have a foam roller, 5" diameter PVC, and a lacrosse ball that I switch around on. I also sub the lacrosse ball for a kettle bell sometimes at the gym if I forget the ball at home.

rockme

rockme

Awards
PVC pipe for lower body. Foam roller and lacrosse ball for upper