Minestrone soup

fit4me

fit4me

Awards
Clean Eating Minestrone Soup
(Makes 34 servings)

You need a BIG pot for this one guys! (Crock pot users will need to cut the ingredients in half)

Ingredients
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic
1 small bunch of chives
1 medium bunch of basil
3 bay leaves
3 cans tomato sauce (no added sugar)
1 can stewed tomatoes (no added sugar)
2 cartons veggie broth (no added sugar)
6 carrots
1 package zucchini
1 small eggplant
2 cans kidney beans
1 pack frozen peas
1 pack frozen corn
1 package mushrooms
5 stocks celery
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Slow Cooker Directions:

Be sure when you’re done combining all your ingredients in your slow cooker that you have liquid up to at least 1 inch from the top, or there won’t be enough for it to cook for the required length of time.
Follow steps 1-3, and then place everything in your slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-7 hours.
Note: Get to know your slow cooker! Some newer models will cook in shorter time allotments, while older models tend to need more time (up to 1-2 hours!) Adjust cooking times appropriately.

Stove Top Directions

Step 1 – Chop all your veggies

Chopped Veggies

Step 2 – Chop all your herbs

Herbs

Step 3 – Saute you onions and garlic in 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil. Add your herbs.

Saute Herbs Onions Garlic

Step 4 – Open your cans of tomato products and stock, and add to pot. Bring to a very soft boil.

Tomato Sauce

Step 5 – Add your beans and all other veggies to the pot, and cook at a soft boil until all veggies are cooked through.

Minestrone Cooking

Step 6 – Allow to cool, and serve with a slice of whole wheat bread. You can also add leftover chicken to your bowl to get some protein. If you are vegetarian, add rice. The rice and beans will give you your protein.

Want to know what my secret ingredient is? Check out this itsy-bitsy carrot that got added to the pot. My son planted this in spring, and the poor thing just never got any bigger than this.

Tiny Carrot

Freezer storage: Divide this soup into individual servings and freeze for up to 6 months.

Nutritional Content
1 serving = 1 cup

Calories: 80
Total Fat: 1 gm
Saturated Fats: 0 gm
Trans Fats: 0 gm
Cholesterol: 0 gm
Sodium: 468 mg
Carbohydrates: 16 gm
Dietary fiber: 4 gm
Sugars: 5 gm
Protein: 4 gm