Metal/Death Metal/Core Thread

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Been a few years, and I didn’t want to revive the old thread.

This is for anyone who loves metal or wants to explore other subgenres of it.

Death, Thrash, Deathcore, Black, Symphonic, Viking, Technical (my fav), hardcore punk, or just simply some mainstream arena metal. I’ve become more of a purist, but I WILL NOT be an elitist or snob. And I don’t want that in this thread please.

Join me!

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Absolutely love Gojira. Probably one hell of a live performance with both bands having such a good reputation for shows.
Hell yea never seen Gojira but I like their music. Seen Slipknot a bunch. During their come up back in the day I felt bad for bands that had to go on after them. A lot of people don’t remember, but they came out with such intensity when hopped on the scene.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You play an instrument? People who like the more technical stuff usually do is why I ask

DEVANS89

DEVANS89

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the slipknot situation?

I feel bad for Chris if it’s true Corey and clown have been getting royalties from other slipknot ventures without him knowing about them

But at the same time, surely the rest of the band would be pissed?

Very strange indeed

Looking forward to the new wage war album though

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You play an instrument? People who like the more technical stuff usually do is why I ask
You are 100% correct. And I’ve always noticed the same exact thing. Musicians that like rock and metal will always gravitate to both Tech and Progressive, which I of course adore. Big admitted Dream Theater fan too

I was a serious drummer for many years. Even got a pass and did drum line all 4 years in high school, every extra curricular percussion group and several bands in my 20’s. Even a couple churches down the road.

You?

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What’s everyone’s thoughts on the slipknot situation?

I feel bad for Chris if it’s true Corey and clown have been getting royalties from other slipknot ventures without him knowing about them

But at the same time, surely the rest of the band would be pissed?

Very strange indeed

Looking forward to the new wage war album though
Hard to tell on the Slipknot thing. Basically if they are being sneaky that’s messed up, but like if they are running the business aspect and he isn’t helping I don’t know I care. Love their newer single.

Love the Wage War singers clear throat thing he does

You are 100% correct. And I’ve always noticed the same exact thing. Musicians that like rock and metal will always gravitate to both Tech and Progressive, which I of course adore. Big admitted Dream Theater fan too

I was a serious drummer for many years. Even got a pass and did drum line all 4 years in high school, every extra curricular percussion group and several bands in my 20’s. Even a couple churches down the road.

You?
That’s awesome, and Yessir. Also a brother of the groove as I play Bass. Used to play in bands and do little clubs in Philly in my late teens/early twenties. Never was in a band that had “it” but it was a blast though. I still play. One of the best things I ever decided to do in life.

As Jaco Pastorius would say “women, children, and rhythm section first” lol

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My radio in my truck stays on Liquid Metal!!

Megatron1

Megatron1

Awards
I'm on a Deafheaven and Amon Amarth kick right now. Also jamming some Mors Principium Est and older Opeth.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm on a Deafheaven and Amon Amarth kick right now. Also jamming some Mors Principium Est and older Opeth.
NOW we are talking!
I’m fairly certain I listened to all of Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park from Opeth this last month more than twice...
Amon I go through kicks and rock typically With Oden on Our Side and my fav Deceiver of the Gods.

https://youtu.be/5Z3spJ_z3Es

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
View attachment 181563

I’ll be going tonight \m/
Nice! I’ve seen them 4 times. 2017 was the most recent with The Faceless, Dying Fetus, and Rings of Saturn. Origin was there too. Actually like 8 other bands were there but those were the main ones I went to see. First time I saw BDM was 2005 at Sounds of the Underground tour. Loved them since Unhallowed in 2002/2003

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice! I’ve seen them 4 times. 2017 was the most recent with The Faceless, Dying Fetus, and Rings of Saturn. Origin was there too. Actually like 8 other bands were there but those were the main ones I went to see. First time I saw BDM was 2005 at Sounds of the Underground tour. Loved them since Unhallowed in 2002/2003
Same here. I’ve lost count. I first went to see them also 2005 timeframe on tour with between the buried and me and cephalic carnage i think

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Same here. I’ve lost count. I first went to see them also 2005 timeframe on tour with between the buried and me and cephalic carnage i think
I passed on BTBAM. Was going to go but would have had to go solo so I skipped it. I’ve actually never seen them and that bums me out as a fan.

I WILL be seeing Archspire, Inferi and Virvum next month.
Obscura is very high on my list to see too.

I’m a bit of a tech-death nut.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I passed on BTBAM. Was going to go but would have had to go solo so I skipped it. I’ve actually never seen them and that bums me out as a fan.

I WILL be seeing Archspire, Inferi and Virvum next month.
Obscura is very high on my list to see too.

I’m a bit of a tech-death nut.
Inferi is great. I’ll check out archspire and virvum.

You like spawn of possession?

I read some of you guys play. Awesome. I play guitar and used to be in a couple of bands and a death metal band but nothing ever came from it haha.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I read some of you guys play. Awesome. I play guitar and used to be in a couple of bands and a death metal band but nothing ever came from it haha.
Definitely Incurso from 2012 is awesome. I’d like to see them get together and make anothe.

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They are one of the few that’s almost as fast as Origin.
I saw Origin at Summer Slaughter in 17.
Gawd they are nuts.
I’ve seen them a couple of times as well. Summer slaughter ‘17 sounds about right the last time i saw them. In Los angeles nokia theater. So sick.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There’s just too much good much good music out there and we have finite time on this planet....

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Ya I had one friend that almost got some halfway decent gigs with a death metal outfit just out of high school but they were all just a bunch of potheads.
Musicians seem to gravitate to complicated and aggressive music.

Steeleydan

Awards
  • Established
I really only know like 10 of their songs from various albums and yeah similar to aman amarth lol

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

I cant get down with any of their newer stuff, but love this album
Ya! This just reminded me, CJ did a collaborative single on the awesomely funny Gay Deathcore supergroup: BROJOB.

It is funny as hell for 5 minutes and shows these guys have a great sense of humor.

Steeleydan

Awards
  • Established
Lol thats great. Theyve got a very valid point. All these metal dudes act so hard and try to maintain this toughguy image, very over the top sometimes

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Love the blast beats and drums, technical all around. Also like the slower/clear vocals if that makes sense.
Ya. I enjoy them all around. You want another sick album if you’re in somewhat of a tech mood:

Virvum - Illuminance is the best Prog/Tech death metal album ever no matter how good anything else is.
Well, I have like 10 more, The Faceless Autotheism and Necrophagist Epitaph come right to the top of my head.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Anybody ‘member this?

... I ‘member...

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cool thread.
My current favorites are Neurotech, Omnium Gatherum, Alcest, and Primal Fear. The days of straight death and black metal for me are long over. lol

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Cool thread.
My current favorites are Neurotech, Omnium Gatherum, Alcest, and Primal Fear. The days of straight death and black metal for me are long over. lol
Alcest’s 2016 album was nominated for album of the year Metal Injection I think...

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I might end up going to the inferi show on may 12. Hopefully it works out.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I might end up going to the inferi show on may 12. Hopefully it works out.
Dude....
The one with Archspire and Virvum?
Uh ya. That’s the only show I’m going to this year. It’s on May 12th here in Phoenix.

Virvum Illuminance is the most finely crafted tech-death album in 10 years. Hands down.
Inferi was a bonus for me bc I’ve been dying to see Arch and Virvum for 3 years.