Melatonin before exercise?

irishiron300

irishiron300

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Crazy question, I know. I was driving home today and I suddenly remembered reading an article from a few years ago about melatonin prior to lifting for an added GH boost.

Did I remember incorrectly? Has anyone given this a go? Notable growth or reduction of BF? What was the outcome? Discuss.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Crazy question, I know. I was driving home today and I suddenly remembered reading an article from a few years ago about melatonin prior to lifting for an added GH boost.

Did I remember incorrectly? Has anyone given this a go? Notable growth or reduction of BF? What was the outcome? Discuss.
The bolded is simply not possible. Melatonin isn't going to influence GH secretion to enough of a degree to induce a physiological response. Frankly, anything oral has almost no impact on GH. Facts.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Suppversity has a ton on Melatonin - the one thing I *do* remember about all of the posts, is 60-30 minutes before bed, or you are actually causing deleterious effects. Lets see if I can find it...

https://suppversity.blogspot.com/2014/10/when-timing-matters-melatonin-timed.html

I love Larry Page and Sergey Brin

You'd be better off with just GABA - but research on *naturally influenced (not peptides/drugs)* GH secretion also shows that your body isn't stupid - it cuts back on secretion at other times (during sleep for example) when you try to manipulate it - again, suppversity.

Actual GH in the 1-2iu Life Extension/Theraputic dosage, takes months and months to show benefit - trying to manipulate GH with some aminos/plants is a fool$ errand, IMO.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel like if I took it pre workout I would be sleeping in the gym haha I haven't heard this before but melatonin is cheap so I would pick you up some and give it a shot to see how you like it pre workout.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I feel like if I took it pre workout I would be sleeping in the gym haha I haven't heard this before but melatonin is cheap so I would pick you up some and give it a shot to see how you like it pre workout.
There's a study on resistance trained males with 3g of GABA before heavy compound movements - showing a large increase (but transient still means jack all for any hormone). It may be an individual thing - I tried it and did not get sleepy at all. AAMF, I've also done 5g fasted before cardio - it is definitely crossing my Blood/Brain Barrier, as within 5 minutes I get severe tingles and shortness of breath (only lasts for about 5 seconds) - still no sleepiness.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I read the GABA study, reasonable findings. I was skeptical of including it in pre workout formulas until i tried it myself. I didn't get sleepy, so there's that.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There's a study on resistance trained males with 3g of GABA before heavy compound movements - showing a large increase (but transient still means jack all for any hormone). It may be an individual thing - I tried it and did not get sleepy at all. AAMF, I've also done 5g fasted before cardio - it is definitely crossing my Blood/Brain Barrier, as within 5 minutes I get severe tingles and shortness of breath (only lasts for about 5 seconds) - still no sleepiness.
I am actually a fan of GABA - but to my understanding the tingles and shortness of breath are peripheral and do not indicate it has crossed the BBB.

I think there are two factors that people don't consider here though. If your body needs to shut off peripheral neurons using GABA, and you have a limited supply, that may mean less material inside your brain for sleep. Taking exogenous GABA and shutting those neurons off may have a sparing effect on endogenous GABA levels.

The other factor is that we often forget that we have feedback loops. Relaxing your body is a great way to send signals to your brain that it is time for sleep.

In other words, the entire BBB thing with GABA is overdone. IMO, it doesn't even need to cross the BBB to have some positive effects.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i used a test booster back in the day with melatonin in it, enjoyed the product and didn't notice any grogginess

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
I have heard about this as well but honestly not sure if I believe it to be true. It would be such a minimal benefit if any at all.

fitfreak_CP

fitfreak_CP

Awards
Also if it increases GH why not treat it like normal GH and take before bed like most do? To much though can make you rather lethargic when waking up. At least for me personally

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I am actually a fan of GABA - but to my understanding the tingles and shortness of breath are peripheral and do not indicate it has crossed the BBB.
Maybe you're right, I just assumed since it had an acute effect - have to look up "peripheral effects of GABA"... on second thought, nah, :D