Mega dosed Vitamin C?

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
Curious if any of you guys have ever experimented with high doses of vitamin C?

Not talking like 3-4 grams, but over 15-20 grams a day.

Linus Pauling claimed mega dosed vitamin C could cure basically anything, but I think the general consensus is that he kinda quacked out on this topic.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Linus Pauling claimed mega dosed vitamin C could cure basically anything, but I think the general consensus is that he kinda quacked out on this topic.
Well, he died of Prostate Cancer....

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Yeah, I have. Used to love it for colds, flus, etc. Now I get side effects from anything over a gram or 2.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Well, he died of Prostate Cancer....
Yeah, but not until he was in his 90's and he didn't even start using Vitamin C until he was in his 50s. That's still a decently long lifespan. He speculated that starting Vitamin C use in his 20s or 30s might have made a bigger difference.

But just looking at how Cholesterol relates to endogenous Vitamin C biosynthesis and it's associations with cardiovascular function, it's difficult to dismiss his theory. I'd say he was probably on to something.

The thing about mega-dosing is that it's not practical IME. At least not with Ascorbic acid. Mega-dosing mineral ascorbates is another story, and the only conventional way I've ever found that eliminates the gastrointestinal sides.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
in order to "mega dose" any vitamin you usually need to inject it. the oral absorption rate is generally just too slow to reach higher than normal levels

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, but not until he was in his 90's and he didn't even start using Vitamin C until he was in his 50s. That's still a decently long lifespan. He speculated that starting Vitamin C use in his 20s or 30s might have made a bigger difference.

But just looking at how Cholesterol relates to endogenous Vitamin C biosynthesis and it's associations with cardiovascular function, it's difficult to dismiss his theory. I'd say he was probably on to something.

The thing about mega-dosing is that it's not practical IME. At least not with Ascorbic acid. is another story, and the only conventional way I've ever found that eliminates the gastrointestinal sides.
I thought about bringing up the stomach issues ....

Mega-dosing mineral ascorbates is another Theory.... But there isn't evidence it would work.
... I would also be concerned about possible side-effects.

You're right ... 93 is longer than the average life-span, but there is no evidence that vitamin C led to an age increase.

He mega dosed vitamin C for 43 years (Apparently), leading up to his death by cancer.
It Definitely didn't cure his cancer, although he used it for Decades, leading up to his death.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I thought about bringing up the stomach issues ....

Mega-dosing mineral ascorbates is another Theory.... But there isn't evidence it would work.
... I would also be concerned about possible side-effects.

You're right ... 93 is longer than the average life-span, but there is no evidence that vitamin C led to an age increase.

He maga dosed vitamin C for 43 years (Apparently), leading up to his death by cancer.
It Definitely didn't cure his cancer, although he used it for Decades, leading up to his death.
Yeah, it wasn't able to cure him, so it's definitely not a magic bullet against cancer. However, I'm not familiar with all the compounding factors in his life, like prior health problems, concurrent use of chemo, etc.. It all plays a role in the outcome and all works together. Vitamin C could still be an important part of a balanced regimen that works.

Some of the old research I've read that outline use of IV Ascorbates as polio treatments are extremely impressive. There is definitely a place for mega-dosing C in certain circumstances.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah, it wasn't able to cure him, so it's definitely not a magic bullet against cancer. However, I'm not familiar with all the compounding factors in his life, like prior health problems, concurrent use of chemo, etc.. It all plays a role in the outcome and all works together. Vitamin C could still be an important part of a balanced regimen that works.

Some of the old research I've read that outline use of IV Ascorbates as polio treatments are extremely impressive. There is definitely a place for mega-dosing C in certain circumstances.
I'm not familiar with mega-dosing regimens for vitamin C, but it sounds worth looking into.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Apparently it didn't cure cancer

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And someone said that too lol. Ok everyone beat me to the punch, I'm out 😂

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

Conversely.... My Grandmother was 99, and she never once mega-dosed vitamin C.
🙂
My father's mother lived to be 94, she lived next door to me by herself until she died 8 years ago. She cooked us Sunday dinner right up till 2 weeks before she died.

My other grandma is 91 and still kicking too.

Neither of the. Drank or smoked there entire lives.

My godfathers mother lived to be 95, smoked a pack of Virginia slims per day, smoked weed and drank a big bottle of V.O. every week.

Genetics beats vitamin c 😂

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My father's mother lived to be 94, she lived next door to me by herself until she died 8 years ago. She cooked us Sunday dinner right up till 2 weeks before she died.

My other grandma is 91 and still kicking too.

Neither of the. Drank or smoked there entire lives.

My godfathers mother lived to be 95, smoked a pack of Virginia slims per day, smoked weed and drank a big bottle of V.O. every week.

Genetics beats vitamin c 😂
I understand....
My Grandmother worked in her garden untill she was 93.
And I can remember at least one of her Uncles celebrating his 100th Birthday.
🙂👍

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If I remember correctly there were studies of 10g+ of IV Vitamin C for Covid patients in hospital. It was part of Joe Rogans elite Covid response plan, so someone somewhere seems to think it’s helped. Granted, he raved about his natural immune system being able to protect him, then took everything under the sun the day he tested positive which is pretty hilarious.

I don’t know that it can hurt anything?

I’ve also seen people swear by transdermal vitamin C mega dosed for Kratom withdrawal symptoms.

I don’t know if any of the studies were conclusive to say whether or not it actually worked, I don’t think sample sizes were large enough, but there’s always been people on either side for if it’s beneficial for colds, flu, etc.

N

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It’s anecdotal, but I had a buddy who tried a ~10g dose for a few days to supposedly help with opiate withdrawal and it made him pretty sick- running to the bathroom a lot.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s anecdotal, but I had a buddy who tried a ~10g dose for a few days to supposedly help with opiate withdrawal and it made him pretty sick- running to the bathroom a lot.
Oh yeah .... That'll happen.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
yeah definitely start low and work up with vitamin C. Not sure if IV has the same issue or not?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There's some pretty crazy potential side effects from mega dosing vitamin c, very rare, but there is some possibilities of crazy bad **** lol. Look it up

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There's some pretty crazy potential side effects from mega dosing vitamin c, very rare, but there is some possibilities of crazy bad **** lol. Look it up
(y)

I

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wouldn’t look to mega dose any antioxidant for an extended time

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
10g of Sodium Ascorbate oral bolus has no sides for me when I've tried it. In fact, I wouldn't even know I'd taken it, so no immediately obvious benefits either, lol.

What I have tried that works well is lipoidal Sodium Ascorbate. Homemade with a simple sonicator method. It tastes gross, but you can actually "feel" 1g of that goo 15min after you take it. Like a PQQ or SAMe kind of energized effect.

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
10g of Sodium Ascorbate oral bolus has no sides for me when I've tried it. In fact, I wouldn't even know I'd taken it, so no immediately obvious benefits either, lol.

What I have tried that works well is lipoidal Sodium Ascorbate. Homemade with a simple sonicator method. It tastes gross, but you can actually "feel" 1g of that goo 15min after you take it. Like a PQQ or SAMe kind of energized effect.
I can take 5 grams of plain ascorbic acid and have no issues except a few gnarly burps.

Lately, I have been taking 2 grams of Pure-Way C a day. I also have been taking some camu camu powder with it as well. Eash tsp. of camu camu has about 500mg of C.
I do not really notice much, but it definitely is not hurting me. I may try Ester-C after the PureWay stuff I have is used up. I have looked into making my own liposomal vitamin C but never got around to it. I may give it a go one of these days.

Last edited:
xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
in the past i have ran high loads of vit c... but every single time I forgot to dose for a day, BAM !! I would get a cold. like fricken clock work.

H

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Based on what I’ve heard and read, liposomal is the best way to mega dose Vit C. I haven’t done a ton of research but there are def a lot studies showing significant benefits. I’ve dosed a fair amount of the liposomal C and didn’t experience any gastrointestinal problems.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I put a 6 gram scoop of ascorbic acid I'm a gallon of water with a pack of crystal light and drank it almost every day for years...until this past year when I just got too busy. When I have been sick, I put 60+ grams I'm that gallon and drink it.

6 grams/day drank throughout the day has virtually no sides. 60 grams obviously does but the water out the ass is worth not staying sick.