Meditation

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
hey you guys ever incorporate meditation into your daily routines, because frank zane does it and man he was probably the lightest weight mr. olympia, but that was back in the day and all. i wonder if people can actually get physically stronger through that meditating stuff :bruce1:

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think its uses are used along the lines of getting focused and removing the negative thoughts enabling you to achieve your goals easier by taking stress and distractions out as obsticles.

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
It makes you mentally and spiritually stronger with that "meditating stuff"

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Yes.. it is extremely beneficial and modern society sometimes loses sight of it.

Focus and serenity is improved with it. Cortisol is lowered.. there have been studies that show coritisol being decreased substantially after a session of Yoga.

More people should look into it.. in any form. Just pick a quiet, distraction-free area and focus on one simple thought.. if you stray, come back to the thought.. it's good practice...

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
The act of lifting itself can be a meditation. Focus on feeling the muscle stretch and contract.

size

Awards
  • Established
I do yoga as my meditation. I have found it to be rather beneficial as it truly helps clear my mind.

DazzlinJack

Awards
  • Established
hmm lowering cortisol is always good. focus is good too. and if it's not the kind of focus achieved by stimulants, then it has to be even better. i'll give that meditation stuff a shot!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
Combining Mainstream, Alternative Therapies Brings Back Pain Relief

HealthDay

05-26-06

THURSDAY, May 25 (HealthDay News) -- Used together, conventional and complementary/alternative treatments help patients ease their low back pain better than using mainstream treatment alone, U.S. research shows.

The small study included 13 patients who received "integrated" care and six patients who received usual care. The integrative care team at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston included experts in acupuncture, chiropractic, internal medicine, massage therapy, neurology, nursing, nutritional counseling, occupational therapy, orthopedics, psychiatry/mind-body, physical therapy and rheumatology.

Over 12 weeks, the patients in the integrative care group had an average of 12.2 visits and gained significantly greater reduction in both their pain scores (0.37 per week vs. 0.14 per week) and functional status (1.11 per week vs. 0.49 per week) than the usual care group.

These promising initial results suggest that this approach to treating low back pain warrants further evaluation, the study authors said.

The findings were presented Thursday at the North American Research Conference on Complementary and Integrative Medicine in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Another study presented at the conference found that a meditation program reduced psychological distress, decreased disease activity, and decreased nonspecific inflammation in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

The six-month study included 63 rheumatoid arthritis patients who received usual care or were asked to practice a meditation program at home six hours a week, in addition to remaining under the regular care of their rheumatologist and continuing to take their prescribed medications.

After two months, psychological distress was reduced by 30 percent in the meditation group and 10 percent in the control group. After six months, psychological distress was reduced by 33 percent in the meditation group and 2 percent in the control group.

Rheumatoid arthritis disease activity was not affected after two months. After six months, the meditation group had an 11 percent mean decrease in disease activity, compared with no change in the control group. Nonspecific inflammation decreased by 35 percent in the meditation group after six months, compared with an 11 percent increase in the control group.

More information

The U.S. National Institutes of Health has more about complementary and alternative medicine.

For the latest health news & Health-Life Services like tools, calculators, & a physician locator, go to www.healthday.com.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
This makes perfect sense... in Buddhism suffering is classified into categories. The normal aches and pains we feel are just aches and pains. It is what we add to that pain that makes it suffering... when meditating we see what it is we are adding to things and they begin to drop.

Not to mention all the physiological effects that are being discovered because of calming the mind. It all does start in the head, so to speak, and move out from there.