Max-OT

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
I have read the MAX-ot 100+ page pdf twice, so this is not an unresearched question...

My two questions are-

1. I am running up against where I can do say 80x7 or 85x5. This is find for set 1 but by the time I get to set 3 with the next step up (85) I cant make 4 anymore. I could do 85 then drop to 80, but the program says not to reduce your weight for muscle memory. So do I just do 3 or do I keep the reps higher with a lower but steady weight.

2. The program dictates 2-3 min rest. This works some days with the programs, but often I go well over the 40 min max when using these longer breaks. Ideas?

3. My job dictates that sometimes I am called away and really CANNOT make the gym that day (hotels with treadmill etc only) I try to find gyms closeby if I can but it is not always possible. The program says you cant make up a workout, but it seems stupid to not do chest tomorow if I am missing it today then move on... Maybe I took that statement in the reading the wrong way? I think he was looking to discourage not doing a workout, but sometimes there is no choice.

Thanks for feedback

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Definately good questions bro and while i dont know the answers per the program your reasoning sounds about right and what id go with.

Why not just lower the weight OR just do whatever you can with the weight your supposed to use.

Also i dont see a big deal with making up the day, sometimes you just cant make it to the gym, no need in going a full week without working something because you cant "make up a day".

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
Thanks to 3clipseGT. Anyone have any input on those questions that has done MAX-OT? So far I have managed to not miss but had to substitute a few exercises twice. Good gains every week so far (4 weeks in).

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
My opinion?
1) maintain load do reps you can
2) i'm that way too, some guys seem to require longer rests. i let session run long as necessary regardless of 42? min cortisol barrier
3) i'm with you, i would do all workouts as best as possible, when possible

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
My opinion?
1) maintain load do reps you can
2) i'm that way too, some guys seem to require longer rests. i let session run long as necessary regardless of 42? min cortisol barrier
3) i'm with you, i would do all workouts as best as possible, when possible
Helpful stuff, thanks man.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yeah sometimes th DB can be tough not having the 2 1/2 lb increases. It can take so much out of you to do a heavier set than you perhaps should messing up the following sets.
Something I use is I'll put on my wrist straps and loop them through the 2 1/2 lb BB weight. Now take the end of the strap and hold it while you grab the DB. The weight should hang right on yourwrist. Might be kinda anoying but you now have an 82.5 lb DB.

I always prioritized my chest and will mis other workouts if need be to get the chest in.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
1. I am running up against where I can do say 80x7 or 85x5. This is find for set 1 but by the time I get to set 3 with the next step up (85) I cant make 4 anymore. I could do 85 then drop to 80, but the program says not to reduce your weight for muscle memory. So do I just do 3 or do I keep the reps higher with a lower but steady weight.
Use a weight that allows you to get all the sets in.

2. The program dictates 2-3 min rest. This works some days with the programs, but often I go well over the 40 min max when using these longer breaks. Ideas?
If you don't need that much time in between sets, don't take that much time.

3. My job dictates that sometimes I am called away and really CANNOT make the gym that day (hotels with treadmill etc only) I try to find gyms closeby if I can but it is not always possible. The program says you cant make up a workout, but it seems stupid to not do chest tomorow if I am missing it today then move on... Maybe I took that statement in the reading the wrong way? I think he was looking to discourage not doing a workout, but sometimes there is no choice.
I'm not sure what PDF you read, but this point it makes is idiotic. Weight lifting and subsequent muscle growth are about chronic application of stimulus in the form of tension. Missing a day here or there isn't cause for panic or even remark.

Remember, don't over think this ****. People were getting big and strong before they had the inclination or ability to develop complex weight lifting programs, measure their dietery intake of macro nutrients to the gram, and come up with the perfect specialized extraction of this or that particular weed of the moment. All the wanking about metabolic pathways or this many reps as opposed to that many and other minutia is missing the forest for the trees. Lift as heavily as you can at a moderate or better volume as frequently as you can, and eat yourself into a comfortable calorie surplus. As long as your workout isn't completely retarded, you'll grow. As long as you're not knocking back twinkies like shots of JD or horking down other **** foods en masse, you'll generally be healthy.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
Use a weight that allows you to get all the sets in.

If you don't need that much time in between sets, don't take that much time.

I'm not sure what PDF you read, but this point it makes is idiotic. Weight lifting and subsequent muscle growth are about chronic application of stimulus in the form of tension. Missing a day here or there isn't cause for panic or even remark.

Remember, don't over think this ****. People were getting big and strong before they had the inclination or ability to develop complex weight lifting programs, measure their dietery intake of macro nutrients to the gram, and come up with the perfect specialized extraction of this or that particular weed of the moment. All the wanking about metabolic pathways or this many reps as opposed to that many and other minutia is missing the forest for the trees. Lift as heavily as you can at a moderate or better volume as frequently as you can, and eat yourself into a comfortable calorie surplus. As long as your workout isn't completely retarded, you'll grow. As long as you're not knocking back twinkies like shots of JD or horking down other **** foods en masse, you'll generally be healthy.
Nice post. Sorry for vert late reply but my sub didnt tell me I had more replies. Reps for response.

Secretive

Awards
Keep the weight the same, however if you can get 80x7 or 85x5 set 1, then set 1 do 80x6, the next 2 sets do 85x4-5 reps, it is good to keep your last set of the exercise heavy though

As far as missing a workout goes Most towns have a gym SOMEWHERE, check other hotels and resorts as well for weight rooms, usually you can use them for a 1-day fee