Mattrag and whatever training

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Starting to catch me on those front squats big man!
How much do you front squat?
Tbh the limiting factor for me is the wrist flexibility and tightness of my lats pulling my elbows apart. I should hit 275 before I head to Hawaii in July. At least for a double.
Video required if you pull that off! Definitely feasible though since your BS is so far ahead of your FS.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How much do you front squat?

Video required if you pull that off! Definitely feasible though since your BS is so far ahead of your FS.
Yea my BS is around 315 or so beltless for 5. Best was 375x5. I'll get a vid up when it happens though. ;)

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Impressive Backsquat. For FS do you use the arm cross grip(Not sure what it is actually called)?
I take a rev grip with my arms under the bar, hands about 6-8 inches apart, plant the bar on my front delts, best way I can think to describe it atm.

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
I have trouble with the olympic grip as well. I have to do the arm crossover...or forget about it.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have trouble with the olympic grip as well. I have to do the arm crossover...or forget about it.
Got the Olympic style one mostly down. Just need a little more time.

Did 245x1 on Friday then today did 225x3.
Also did 185x5x3

Also bent over rowed 325x5
And rdl around 315x5.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So as I have decided (yes stupidly not getting much advice from anyone as there is really no one in my area that has any idea on weightlifting progress...) I will be adding in more front squat volume because my rack position suffers from upper torso strength. And well over all back tightness. I can feel my traps pull against my lats when I sit at the bottom position.
Also, I have recently added pauses at the bottom of my front squat to get accustomed to receiving weight in that position.
Probably get in some db rows today as well. Just to strengthen my back a bit more.

Diet wise it has been really lax... I'm super surprised I'm not a bloated balloon right now...( well aside from on Friday when I had a MEAN allergic reaction to peanuts. I've had no problem with them in the past but Thursday night I was low on cals so I ate around 4 TBSP of PB... Woke up at 3 had hives all over my joints and back, by the morning it covered most of my upper leg, back, arms, and my joints were swollen. This was the first incident for me so I was freaked! Got some med from the doc and I'm on those now. )
Lemme go over the rest of my diet.

Most times for lunch I'll eat a pound of pork or beef usually medium fatty cut, dinner will be something like 1.5 pounds of meat with some rice or potatoes. I try to snack on nuts through the day but funds regulate that lol.
I aim for something like:

200g protein (including bcaa but not carnitine, taurine or BA)
150-300g carbs
150-250g fat

Get in somewhere between 3500-4000 cals a day. Friends say I'm looking leaner and bigger... No idea really I'm not on anything ATM cept some staples. Lol. I guess I just needed more fun training.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Wow yesterday was so muggy I thought I was gonna die. So bad this weather. And the office doesn't use AC....japan policy.

Did 4 singles of 245 in the front squat. Really good stuff.
Did some cleans too. Working up to the full clean. Going quite well IMO.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I just spent around an hour doing soft tissue work on my hip and glute region ala Kelley Starett and my god it is amazing. An hour of self torture but now I can even feel the difference when walking! PR time tomorrow for the front squats!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
I just spent around an hour doing soft tissue work on my hip and glute region ala Kelley Starett and my god it is amazing. An hour of self torture but now I can even feel the difference when walking! PR time tomorrow for the front squats!
I'll have to try out soft tissue massages. Why aren't you following my log!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'll have to try out soft tissue massages. Why aren't you following my log!
Need a link my friend!

My back seems to be a bit soft today so I will probably use a belt today and go with 60% on front squats and use today to work on bench press and some pull ups.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday did 255 front squats for two singles.
Felt really strong going into it a I did 245x2 and 225x3. Probably try get 255 for two Monday then 265x1 on Friday. Seems to be great for my progress using this progression.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Felt really strong going into it a I did 245x2 and 225x3. Probably try get 255 for two Monday then 265x1 on Friday. Seems to be great for my progress using this progression.

BOOM BABY!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Gonna catch up to me at this rate :bigok:

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gonna catch up to me at this rate :bigok:
Haha. Man you are like 20lbs less than me. I'm just lucky as my upper body is damn strong. And my legs are big from being an ex fatty.

Thinking if making a YouTube channel for advice and stuff (both giving and receiving) as a lot of my friends here in japan who I give training advice too on a near daily basis are gonna miss my coaching.
Would love to have all of you follow!!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Haha. Man you are like 20lbs less than me. I'm just lucky as my upper body is damn strong. And my legs are big from being an ex fatty.

Thinking if making a YouTube channel for advice and stuff (both giving and receiving) as a lot of my friends here in japan who I give training advice too on a near daily basis are gonna miss my coaching.
Would love to have all of you follow!!
I'd follow.

I'm thinking about making one as well, but just to post daily footage of me training.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Link it up here man! You are beast!
It'll be in my signature once I have videos going. The place I do my Oly lifts at in the morning has a webcam recording all the platform so I'm finally getting quality footage.

When are you leaving Japan?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It'll be in my signature once I have videos going. The place I do my Oly lifts at in the morning has a webcam recording all the platform so I'm finally getting quality footage.

When are you leaving Japan?
I leave 7/31 and because of time zones I reach Hawaii on 7/31 in the morning lol.

Man... I wish my place had that. I might build a platform outside my house to do oly lifts. Then just go gym with the wife and stuff to do some basic bb type weights and light cardio when I need to bring up that aspect.

My iPhone app doesn't view sigs but I will probably be viewing from a computer when I get home cause I wont have the iPhone anymore .... :(

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
I leave 7/31 and because of time zones I reach Hawaii on 7/31 in the morning lol.

Man... I wish my place had that. I might build a platform outside my house to do oly lifts. Then just go gym with the wife and stuff to do some basic bb type weights and light cardio when I need to bring up that aspect.

My iPhone app doesn't view sigs but I will probably be viewing from a computer when I get home cause I wont have the iPhone anymore .... :(
Why are you getting rid of the iphone?! I'll PM you the link once it's up, I haven't made the account for it yet. I'm still thinking of a legit username for it haha

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why are you getting rid of the iphone?! I'll PM you the link once it's up, I haven't made the account for it yet. I'm still thinking of a legit username for it haha
Same here lol!!

But this phone is japan locked so I will have to get another phone. Haven't decided what yet. My iPhones home button is pretty much dead anyway. I'll just use it at home as an itouch probably.
When I get mine up I'll let you know. I'll probably take some vids here of my mobility and corrective sessions with some friends then edit later.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Same here lol!!

But this phone is japan locked so I will have to get another phone. Haven't decided what yet. My iPhones home button is pretty much dead anyway. I'll just use it at home as an itouch probably.
When I get mine up I'll let you know. I'll probably take some vids here of my mobility and corrective sessions with some friends then edit later.
Yeah, I liked my iPhone 3gs. I use it as an itouch, mainly for music in my car, ever since I decided to get the Samsung Note instead of a new iPhone.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I liked my iPhone 3gs. I use it as an itouch, mainly for music in my car, ever since I decided to get the Samsung Note instead of a new iPhone.
We shall see what I get when I get home lol. ;)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yesterday was kinda a low intensity day. 225x3x3 for front squats. 185x3 for push presses and did some pendalay rows.
Also, did some nice snatch practice.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today is 5 RM for bench and some tech work for the front squat and now working on the over head squat position. Gonna take some video too.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today is 5 RM for bench and some tech work for the front squat and now working on the over head squat position. Gonna take some video too.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Double post is double? ":)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think I hit my linear max. 265 was just to hard to hold haha!
Dropped it back to 225 and did 3 sets of singles.
The weather has been really muggy and been feeling like crap all day. That surely didn't help. And I'm down to around 90kgs... Started this log at 96kgs.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quick supplement update as well

I entered pct July 3rd and have been running Anabeta Elite
Resv2
Ursobolic
Tucda
Green bulge
And my aminos

Sadly I have dropped a whole 12lbs or so. Training has changed a bit though. Just trying to lift to get stronger. Oddly I'm eating more calories wise as I am eating a more tkd type diet. Still strong and I am getting a lot leaner. Doesn't really matter to me about the weight though. As long as I can keep pushing the bar :)

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
I think I hit my linear max. 265 was just to hard to hold haha!
Dropped it back to 225 and did 3 sets of singles.
The weather has been really muggy and been feeling like crap all day. That surely didn't help. And I'm down to around 90kgs... Started this log at 96kgs.
I missed a front squat for the first time pretty much ever this morning. I hated life. lol

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I missed a front squat for the first time pretty much ever this morning. I hated life. lol
Sucks missing lifts. Gotta go back next week and hit it harder!
I'm probably gonna take a short deload before I go home. I'm thinking 7/22-7-31 I'll be off from all lifting. Just because I really can't... I'll be moved out of my house staying with my inlaws and they don't have a weight set lol. That should bring a good amount of rest to hit my next training cycle back in Hawaii.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Sucks missing lifts. Gotta go back next week and hit it harder!
I'm probably gonna take a short deload before I go home. I'm thinking 7/22-7-31 I'll be off from all lifting. Just because I really can't... I'll be moved out of my house staying with my inlaws and they don't have a weight set lol. That should bring a good amount of rest to hit my next training cycle back in Hawaii.
I frontsquat to ~95%+ at least 4x/week, so I'll be hitting it harder.. tomorrow. lol

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I frontsquat to ~95%+ at least 4x/week, so I'll be hitting it harder.. tomorrow. lol
Damn!! You lifting like the pros!
I can't handle that much yet. I lift 75%, 50%, 1RM every week. Three days of front squatting. I actually don't even do that much lifting.
Can't recover lol. Eating around 4k cals and still cant keep up the weight.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Damn!! You lifting like the pros!
I can't handle that much yet. I lift 75%, 50%, 1RM every week. Three days of front squatting. I actually don't even do that much lifting.
Can't recover lol. Eating around 4k cals and still cant keep up the weight.
I'm actually liking lifting twice a day, it's pretty nice if you can afford the extra time.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Quick supplement update as well

I entered pct July 3rd and have been running Anabeta Elite
Resv2
Ursobolic
Tucda
Green bulge
And my aminos

Sadly I have dropped a whole 12lbs or so. Training has changed a bit though. Just trying to lift to get stronger. Oddly I'm eating more calories wise as I am eating a more tkd type diet. Still strong and I am getting a lot leaner. Doesn't really matter to me about the weight though. As long as I can keep pushing the bar :)

That does not sound good bro, can you add anything to your PCT? Got anything on hand.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Went to the prefectural gym and hit 295x3 for bench.
Incline dumbbell bench for 48kgx8

Failed my PR for deads but I got an incline PR.

Felt like crap after the lifting. Still down like 4kgs from last week and down 6 from July 3rd

CopyCat

CopyCat

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You been flowing the crossfit games that have been going on?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm actually liking lifting twice a day, it's pretty nice if you can afford the extra time.
Hmm. Can you email me a program you follow?
I have been slowly increasing my volume session wise but I'd like to have a look as to what others are using. Specially since I follow a lot of Olympic lifters an they are pro so... Doing their program is nuts.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Hmm. Can you email me a program you follow?
I have been slowly increasing my volume session wise but I'd like to have a look as to what others are using. Specially since I follow a lot of Olympic lifters an they are pro so... Doing their program is nuts.
Check your PMs