Marijuana and Bodybuilding

richirich_99

Awards
I agree with everyone on here that a lil weed every once in a while, or even in small amounts daily doesnt cause any problems. I personally do it everynight almost, just to relax after a hard workout and to help increase the appetite. Smoke on all my fellow friends! LOL

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I have a serious consideration about any type of smoking and the effects it has on your lungs. Basically any type of smoking over time hinders the exchange of oxygen in the capilaries in the lung fields....to some degree. I firmly believe that oxygen in the muscles would be directly effected by this, and oxygen is what the muscles crave. Without proper oxygenation the muscle will not have the vital needs to grow.
Current research shows your lungs will recover from years of cigarette smoke in as little as 5-6 months. I can't imagine this being worse for MJ

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I doubt that there are to many chronic everyday users here on a bodybuilding forum, but to all the pple that use everyday and come up with all this garbage about how it doesn't effect health/mental status ect... it is because you have an addiction! and with every addiction comes the need to justify that addiction!
A lot more than you would think.

Personally I smoke every now and again.

Compare the negative effects of MJ to the negative effects of alcohol, yet no one thinks twice about that. Hell, its common that a college student will drink 2-3 times every week.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
A lot more than you would think.

Personally I smoke every now and again.

Compare the negative effects of MJ to the negative effects of alcohol, yet no one thinks twice about that. Hell, its common that a college student will drink 2-3 times every week.
Dude, if licking frogs would get someone high, there would be people out trying it without researching it... Wait a minute, people already have tried that!

Oh... not to mention baking banana peels and trying to extract 'bananadine' with ethyl alcohol in an attempt to make banana-crack in which to smoke and get high. Bro people rarely care about the side effects man. Stop comparing things to alcohol. It's really getting old and just because it's legal, it shouldn't be a fall-back comparison for every known psychotropic substance on Earth.

If you're going to recreationally use a substance to induce a 'higher' state of mind, by all means go about it in a way that is condusive to your health and well-being. It's actually quite simple not to beat around the bush...

ex. "Oh I snort a couple rails of snow every now and then... uhhh but HEY, you know that statistics show that alcohol has been known to cause fetal alcohol syndrome? Coke can't do that!"

Don't justify your habits or behaviors. It lowers your integrity.

Wedgylx

Wedgylx

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Don't justify your habits or behaviors. It lowers your integrity.
I don't need any lessons in integrity, thank you.

I'm not a habitual "every night" smoker - nor do I feel the need to defend any choices I make in my life to anyone else.

I'm just saying that ripping on people who smoke weed every now and again because of its "harmful" effects while tolerating and participating in more detrimental activities makes a person a hypocrite.

I'd say cycling is far worse for you than recreational marijuana use, even when used responsibly

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I don't need any lessons in integrity, thank you.

I'm not a habitual "every night" smoker - nor do I feel the need to defend any choices I make in my life to anyone else.

I'm just saying that ripping on people who smoke weed every now and again because of its "harmful" effects while tolerating and participating in more detrimental activities makes a person a hypocrite.

I'd say cycling is far worse for you than recreational marijuana use, even when used responsibly
The integrity comment wasn't directed at you persay, but just some food for thought to those who constantly try and justify some crappy habits.

SelfKnowledge

Awards
lol those studies are probly straight off the "legalize marijuana" website

I don't care what anybody says... chronic use of the herb f*cks you up

now if you take a few rips every once in a while to chill and relax, your not going to have any probs... but using that garbage everyday is going to hinder just about any goals you have

I smoked for like 3 years straight in highschool just about everyday and i when i finally quit it was like night and day in regards to the way i felt, mental clarity, motivation... everything

I doubt that there are to many chronic everyday users here on a bodybuilding forum, but to all the pple that use everyday and come up with all this garbage about how it doesn't effect health/mental status ect... it is because you have an addiction! and with every addiction comes the need to justify that addiction!

lol sh*t that was me 4-5 years ago, weed was the best thing in the world and i was gonna smoke it till i was 100 years old... but then i grew up

like i said theres no prob. blazin every once in a while to relax and enjoy some good food, but don't kid yourselves and think doin it everyday doesn't have any negative effects!
You also have to take in consideration you did this in highschool...your attention span and motivation to do anything besides have fun are not as controlled at a more mature age. I have disciplined my smoking and exercise habits much more since high school..

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
you all need to get a VapoCannon and chill the fvck out. ;)

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
you all need to get a VapoCannon and chill the fvck out. ;)
Why Vaporize?

Studies have shown that it is possible to actively vaporize component ingredients by heating botanicals to a temperature short of the point of combustion, thereby eliminating or substantially reducing harmful smoke toxins that are normally present in botanical smoke. The vaporizer produces active vapor at a temperature of 360°F - 380°F. while eliminating many toxins, examples such as - benzene, a known carcinogen, plus toluene and naphthalene. Carbon monoxide and smoke tars are both qualitatively reduced by the vaporizer, but additional testing is needed to quantify the extent of the decrease.

There is good reason to believe that the highly carcinogenic tars known as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which are thought to be a leading culprit in smoking-related cancers, are suppressed, since they normally form at much higher temperatures of combustion.

:thumbsup:

opfor101

opfor101

Banned
Awards
wouldnt using marijuana actually be a good thing

once in a while
you just light up a joint or hit the bong

the munchies would help you eat anyway (provided what you eat isnt junk)

kMz

Awards
THC lowers testosterone
do you have ANY sort of medical backing to that answer or are you just one of the nonsmokers who likes to down talk pot everytime someone mentions it

kMz

Awards
why dont u try a google search using the word "vaporizor", lol. Ive used a volcano before. I think that it was pretty sweet, but it got me a lot higher than i like to get. I dont like feeling like a vegetable. Also try using clear rolling papers, they are made out of vegetable oils i think. They taste a lot better than traditional blunts or rolling papers. They also make a lot less smoke. Smoking after a workout is a great idea imo. It relaxes you and makes you want to eat more. When I get a little high i feel an increase in libido, but when i get completely baked i just feel like not moving.
bro those plastic papes are a big no no in the smoking world. it lets off black smoke for god sake..:dance:

dpfisher

Vaping is not the same, plain and simple. I used to smoke some (ok a shitton actually) and I never enjoyed vaping really. It works somewhat, but you do not get all the same chemicals as you do smoking it- which is why vaporizer leftovers can be used to make brownies.

There's just nothing like the feeling of smoking a joint... much more relaxing, even if less healthy and efficient. Also the clear papers are cellulose, not plastic, but I would still not use them.

Weed is a vasodilator, especially good fun before a hard bike ride.

I don't smoke up these days but I still wholly endorse it as a social activity. It's cheaper, healthier, and more fun than drinking, and depending where you live legal consequences are unlikely if you are not stupid about it. I've never had any discernable negative health effects (cough or otherwise) from it, don't regret it a bit, and wish I could still do it (current job tests).

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
I love the mj, i'll be the first to buy marlboro greens

But all of you say a huff and puff a lil now and then is fine and i totally agree, i do the same actually, except a huff might be a blunt and a puff might be a few bowls....but for those who say its ok taking 1 hit or two or day....

what about when u do that for a month or 3 months straight? your tolerance will go up and you will need to take 4x or 5x more than you did when u started to get a feel? thats what i went through and it takes alot for me to get high now....which i dont have a problem with but others might

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Vaping is not the same, plain and simple. I used to smoke some (ok a shitton actually) and I never enjoyed vaping really. It works somewhat, but you do not get all the same chemicals as you do smoking it- which is why vaporizer leftovers can be used to make brownies.

There's just nothing like the feeling of smoking a joint... much more relaxing, even if less healthy and efficient. Also the clear papers are cellulose, not plastic, but I would still not use them.

I don't smoke up these days but I still wholly endorse it as a social activity. It's cheaper, healthier, and more fun than drinking, and depending where you live legal consequences are unlikely if you are not stupid about it. I've never had any discernable negative health effects (cough or otherwise) from it, don't regret it a bit, and wish I could still do it (current job tests).
That bike ride would end short with me at the first site of food.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
do you have ANY sort of medical backing to that answer or are you just one of the nonsmokers who likes to down talk pot everytime someone mentions it
nah he's just an anti-bud guy. blazing actually INCREASES test/LH for about 30min. after initially hitting whatever your fav thing is to use. hence the libido increase. well this is also due to increased dopamine and serotonin levels, but it increases test for a short period of time. if you blaze all day, everyday for years, then yea it can effect your hormones in a negative manner. this is still minimal though. with that being said, blaze on bro's..... blaze on :lol:

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established

I agree. I used to own a vaporizer and before that I smoked at least two bowls a day. You get high with the vape but you're not...HIGH. Pretty much,if you enjoy something then do it,just don't over use it and be smart. All I know is that if you're going to do something then smoking is the least harmful. I don't smoke anymore but I'm not opposed to it at all.

goaussiego

goaussiego

Awards
haha some funny shhit in this thread, yeah i got a vaporizer which i use a vapezilla to be exact and i only ever use it at night and not all the time. i used it on my first cycle which was epi and managed to gain 18lbs on it.

does anyone get wicked pumps after they've smoked. when you've trained and mull up couple hours later every muscle is just so pumped its awesome

ps any critics of vaping either have crap bud or have not used a good vape that does the job properly. they work and work very well

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
All I know is:
The boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong, too dam skinny, and way too long. I aint a holy roller, so I'll just use a bong ;)

borobulker

borobulker

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All I know is:
The boys from Oklahoma roll their joints all wrong, too dam skinny, and way too long. I aint a holy roller, so I'll just use a bong ;)

Cross Canadian Ragweed! Good band, i saw them in a bar back home a few years ago!

polo

polo

Awards
idk about ne one else i barely smoke but when i do rarely 1-2 a yr i feel smaller when i get high

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I guess I'll come clean. A few hits of the kind is the best pre-workout supplement on the face of the earth, IMO.

classic27

I have smoked my share of mary jane and never had any problems.

The boys from oklahoma actually roll some damn fine joints

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
oklahoma boys rollin joints?? in south texas, its all about blunts!

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I guess I'll come clean. A few hits of the kind is the best pre-workout supplement on the face of the earth, IMO.
I have heard this before but when I smoke I feel like not moving and eating. Not working out. haha

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
ya....i really dont toke anymore but when i did id save the smoke for pre bedtime movie and try to be as active as possible throughout the day.

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
me too bro, it's my favorite way to blaze. a honey flavored dutch master is the best. plus it burns slower because of the honey :)
I miss my Vapolution. I would usually smoke it at night just to relax and I'd make a big healthy meal before I toked so I wouldn't eat junk.

I wonder if smoking reduces cortisol?? Stress does raise cortisol...and marijuana defiantly reduces stress. I'm just wondering,haha.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I miss my Vapolution. I would usually smoke it at night just to relax and I'd make a big healthy meal before I toked so I wouldn't eat junk.

I wonder if smoking reduces cortisol?? Stress does raise cortisol...and marijuana defiantly reduces stress. I'm just wondering,haha.
i'm certain that it indeed does lower cortisol. by like 80% lol.

hydro916

Awards
ate plenty of good food and i'm now considering a visit to my local cat house for some good old fashioned loving, gets tough being by yourself sometimes

least the girls where i go think i've still got it and i'm old enough to be their grandfather, lol

they call me sexy legs and really show me a good time, i'm even considering using that aspire i've been reading so much about to help me a little more to get my money's worth

i love my herbs and sex
Are you seriously serious?
is a cat house a whore house?

knasty

Awards
I found this very very helpful...

"In summary, it appears that water filtration can be effective in removing components from marijuana smoke that are known toxicants, while allowing the THC to pass through relatively intact. The effectiveness of toxicant removal is related to the smoke's water contact area. Specially designed water pipes, incorporating particulate filters and gas dispersion frits would likely be most effective in this regard; the gas dispersion frit serves to break up the smoke into very fine bubbles, thereby increasing its water contact area. While individuals vary greatly in their smoking technique, state of health, dosing regimen, and so on, it seems that many patients could benefit from the use of water pipes to deliver THC. This would allow patients to titrate their dose easily while reducing the health hazard associated with smoke."

Basically it says that filtering pot smoke with water
(i.e. Waterpipes) GREATLY reduces health risks

If someone wants the website I can e-mail it to them, it wont let me post URL's yet.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I found this very very helpful...

"In summary, it appears that water filtration can be effective in removing components from marijuana smoke that are known toxicants, while allowing the THC to pass through relatively intact. The effectiveness of toxicant removal is related to the smoke's water contact area. Specially designed water pipes, incorporating particulate filters and gas dispersion frits would likely be most effective in this regard; the gas dispersion frit serves to break up the smoke into very fine bubbles, thereby increasing its water contact area. While individuals vary greatly in their smoking technique, state of health, dosing regimen, and so on, it seems that many patients could benefit from the use of water pipes to deliver THC. This would allow patients to titrate their dose easily while reducing the health hazard associated with smoke."

Basically it says that filtering pot smoke with water
(i.e. Waterpipes) GREATLY reduces health risks

If someone wants the website I can e-mail it to them, it wont let me post URL's yet.
And this my friends, is why the bubbler was created ;)

planetfuzz

planetfuzz

Awards
  • Established
I still say a vaporizer is the best option if you are concerned about health at all. It's like inhaling air with THC in it.

ABiLiTY

ABiLiTY

Awards
  • Established
I;m a little late to chime here (puff). My gains increased ten fold when i started smoking. Always used to have trouble sleeping, also the increase in appetite wont hurt.

Omen

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The thing about Marijuana, is that it has been ruled as safe, aside from that, nothing is good or bad, everything that's good can be bad and everything that's bad can be good. A gun is good when used for self defense, bad when used for rape, 50grams of vitamin C are good in some cases, no diarrhea and increased healing, bad in some cases, causing diarrhea and messing up your day, same thing with Marijuana, it's not good and it's not bad, if you use it and the positives outweigh the negatives, then it's good, for you, if the negatives outweigh the positive, then it's bad for you.

Like any tool in this universe, it can't be good or bad, a tool has no ability to be good or bad, it depends on how it's used and what for, what circumstances, etc....

Attention: This is your common sense, we are now trying something new, please decide if it's good or bad for you. This experience time will vary, please be safe at all times, learn all you can from it and make a decision, experience and effectiveness may vary, remember to enter without prejudice and have a nice experience.

It's a shame that fear and lack of initiative rule today's people.

knasty

Awards
hey planet fuzz i was thinkin of gettin a vapo but what is the best brand??? i heard some of em are terrible

fbd21

fbd21

Awards
i just came across this thread and its right down my alley. Vaps are cool but if you want one thats worth buying i dont suggest a handheld.. those suck, you want one that has the long tube and plugs into the wall. They should heat the mj to around 370 degrees F; rather than the 1200-1400 degrees of a lighter. as for bubblers they work great too thats a much cheaper (and much more fun if you ask me) alternative. BUT, vaporizers will pay for themselves relatively quick, because you will use MUCH more THC than a bub would. one bowl is good for 3-5 people in my experience.

so if you have the money, i would say go with a vap.

The vap will also save you from feeling horribly light-headed and short-breathed in the middle of your lifts. That is the only weed and lifting dont go together, at least for me.