Marijuana and bodybuilding

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much impediment (if any) into attempting to obtain a muscular physique do you think getting high on edibles say twice a week would be if no overeating occurs and the getting high only occurred after not before workouts?

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much impediment (if any) into attempting to obtain a muscular physique do you think getting high on edibles say twice a week would be if no overeating occurs and the getting high only occurred after not before workouts?
I don’t see it being detrimental at all as long as you don’t go overboard with it. I know multiple other bodybuilders, one with an Ifbb card as well, and plenty of them get baked all the time lmao.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’ve known a few, and currently know a young dude now that smokes pre-workout....Many like it post workout...

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Keep it moderate as THC can increase estrogen/prolactin, but I doubt it will be too detrimental unless abused. If you can use a high CBD strain than that would be the best option

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I know a PhD that swears thc pre/intra is a performance enhancing drug. Well at least for him. Allows longer workouts through reduced cns overload.

For me, when I’m high I don’t have an aggressive bone in my body, which I don’t find conducive for lifting.

How you described using won’t affect your goals imo unless you eat 5k cals of **** when high

Long story short, every drug will effect each person differently.

Last edited:

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I use it as a post workout to guarantee good long sleep. I take hits when I wake up to piss. I get 8hrs easy a night this way sometimes more if time allows.

I worked out on it and don't enjoy it. I feel you lose strength and could push more sober.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t see it being detrimental at all as long as you don’t go overboard with it. I know multiple other bodybuilders, one with an Ifbb card as well, and plenty of them get baked all the time lmao.
Ya I haven’t done it since college. I’m 42 now. In Ohio and read Ohio decriminalized possession under 100 grams. You can’t legally buy it here, but you can 3 hours away in Michigan Thinking of making a drive and picking up some edibles lol. The key is not ending up doing it every day because when I did that in college I became lazy and unmotivated af! As far as appetite and over eating while high I wonder if taking an Ephedrine Bronkiad before getting high would be effective at killing appetite? Sure does when I’m sober and cutting.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know a PhD that swears thc pre/intra is a performance enhancing drug. Well at least for him. Allows longer workouts through reduced cns overload.

For me, when I’m high I don’t have an aggressive bone in my body, which I don’t find conducive for lifting.

How you described using won’t affect your goals imo unless you eat 5k cals of **** when high

Long story short, every drug will effect each person differently.
It can be for many and is for me also, but in other type of sports. Lifting high I don't like. Basketball or football (European) I get more creative and feel like I have more time to think what to do on the go. Wouldn't use it in a serious game tho.

Or maybe I'm just too stoned to realise I play like sh1t 🤔

Surprisingly many like it in bjj/submission wrestling. I have never tried. I see it as so physical performance like lifting.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ya I haven’t done it since college. I’m 42 now. In Ohio and read Ohio decriminalized possession under 100 grams. You can’t legally buy it here, but you can 3 hours away in Michigan Thinking of making a drive and picking up some edibles lol. The key is not ending up doing it every day because when I did that in college I became lazy and unmotivated af! As far as appetite and over eating while high I wonder if taking an Ephedrine Bronkiad before getting high would be effective at killing appetite? Sure does when I’m sober and cutting.
Ephedrine + weed sounds like a panic attack 😆

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ephedrine + weed sounds like a panic attack 😆
Ya never thought of that bro. I think for the first time since it has been 20 years since I did it pot I will run it and see if I can withstand the hunger without it. If I can’t the next time I will use the Ephedrine too and log results here!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You may or may not? Need a medical card in Michigan....and you’d have to have Michigan ID for that...

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
-Ripped n baked-

Now there's a slogan I would wear on a shirt

Last edited:
KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Ya never thought of that bro. I think for the first time since it has been 20 years since I did it pot I will run it and see if I can withstand the hunger without it. If I can’t the next time I will use the Ephedrine too and log results here!
"I will run it".. 😆

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Dorian Yates has said in interviews he used to get high before his workouts. He had a pretty decent physique. LOL! Everyone is different though. I can't do it, makes me lazy as heck and I turn into the typical couch stoner. Plus it tends to make me zone out. I'd probably just sit there and stare at the weights.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
back in my younger/drinking days i would chug half pint of dark eyes before lifting and sometimes another half pint intra.

made me ultra aggressive, but wouldn't pot have opposite effect?

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
back in my younger/drinking days i would chug half pint of dark eyes before lifting and sometimes another half pint intra.

For most it has. But the key is (ime) to have being started or to be very close to starting the activity when incorporating the pot, dependig a bit on the manner of administration. I vape - so close. If I would do it home thinking I will go do sh1t - I wouldn't.

Last edited:

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dorian Yates has said in interviews he used to get high before his workouts. He had a pretty decent physique. LOL! Everyone is different though. I can't do it, makes me lazy as heck and I turn into the typical couch stoner. Plus it tends to make me zone out. I'd probably just sit there and stare at the weights.
i would end up sitting there and just gazing at the womens as$es because it makes me horny lol!

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I actually have a fair amount of experience with partaking. I find that partaking pre workout enhances my mind muscle connection but generally decreases my strength and aggression. It is also easier to do long bouts of cardio (only do moderate or LISS, can’t speak to HIIT). Sometimes I don’t have the juice to go apeshit on the weights so it’s nice to relax and get a workout in that’s actually beneficial and not just “going through the motions.” That’s my $0.02 at least.
Also, I know the community really plays this up but different strains do matter. It’s not so simple as sativa vs. indica but with what you can get from legit dispensaries now days I would say try a few types with exercise to see what may work for you. This ain’t your 1970s-1980s weed haha.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Like the above I know of people who swear it improves lifting/performance but whilst i stopped smoking years before I got into lifting I can’t believe it would help, I was a lazy AF stoner.

I did used to play sports while drinking and genuinely that did improve my performance, no idea why (and I was a highly functioning alcoholic so it’s not like I didn’t have control of my limbs etc) but mentally I would get into a zone that I couldn’t replicate sober (playing tennis mainly)

theswede

theswede

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I actually have a fair amount of experience with partaking. I find that partaking pre workout enhances my mind muscle connection but generally decreases my strength and aggression. It is also easier to do long bouts of cardio (only do moderate or LISS, can’t speak to HIIT). Sometimes I don’t have the juice to go apeshit on the weights so it’s nice to relax and get a workout in that’s actually beneficial and not just “going through the motions.” That’s my $0.02 at least.
Also, I know the community really plays this up but different strains do matter. It’s not so simple as sativa vs. indica but with what you can get from legit dispensaries now days I would say try a few types with exercise to see what may work for you. This ain’t your 1970s-1980s weed haha.
I can agree with this statement regarding cardio 100%. Many moons ago, I used to mountain bike. Once I had a few months of riding experience, some of the big dawgs (Expert and Elites that raced competitively in the state and regionally) let me start riding with them. I meet a few dudes at the trail head, rearing to go, only to find out that several partook in a pre-ride blaze session. I didn't smoke much at the time, like 2-3 times a year, so after a few hits on the glass pipe passed my way, I was high as kite and wondering how in the hell I'd be able to ride a nine-mile loop with these guys as they were faster and more technical than me. Turns out, it put me in the zone and I somehow hung on the back of the pack for the first loop and half of the second loop, which was more than I expected. Somehow, it made me more focused on my breathing and the lines I was taking. And I did notice I was having more fun on the bumps and berms and jumps.

As to lifting, I can't seem to handle weed pre. Post however, oh yeah, nothing like hitting the pipe after the gym and go smash some food. I'm not a vegan, but for whatever reason I can't help but eat sweet potato and black bean tacos at the local vegan restaurant. And some hummus, and some of the natural root beer and man, I'm in bliss.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i haven't smoked pot in well over 20 years, but to be fair the pot back in the 70's was $20 a oz.

Hilltern

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I can agree with this statement regarding cardio 100%. Many moons ago, I used to mountain bike. Once I had a few months of riding experience, some of the big dawgs (Expert and Elites that raced competitively in the state and regionally) let me start riding with them. I meet a few dudes at the trail head, rearing to go, only to find out that several partook in a pre-ride blaze session. I didn't smoke much at the time, like 2-3 times a year, so after a few hits on the glass pipe passed my way, I was high as kite and wondering how in the hell I'd be able to ride a nine-mile loop with these guys as they were faster and more technical than me. Turns out, it put me in the zone and I somehow hung on the back of the pack for the first loop and half of the second loop, which was more than I expected. Somehow, it made me more focused on my breathing and the lines I was taking. And I did notice I was having more fun on the bumps and berms and jumps.

As to lifting, I can't seem to handle weed pre. Post however, oh yeah, nothing like hitting the pipe after the gym and go smash some food. I'm not a vegan, but for whatever reason I can't help but eat sweet potato and black bean tacos at the local vegan restaurant. And some hummus, and some of the natural root beer and man, I'm in bliss.
Oh yeah. I feel like my form may not be as good on the cardio (I usually hit the treadmill these days, actual non-stationary biking may be totally different - I didn't have the issue on the stair climber) but man once I hit my stride a few minutes in I can go for like double the time easily. Certainly makes a productive session out of what would otherwise be somewhat a "useless" day in the gym IMHO. If you're really into timing too you can get the endorphin rush just as your high is wearing off so the come down is hardly noticeable.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I have never done anything productive on mj, except sleep, eat, and have sex.

MANY YEARS AGO, I smoked some at work, and was miserable.

I felt like all I could do was watch the time slip by.

I was getting paid, but my work wasn't getting done.
... And 400 people were depending on me.
(I eventually got it done).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I have never done anything productive on mj, except sleep, eat, and have sex.

MANY YEARS AGO, I smoked some at work, and was miserable.

I felt like all I could do was watch the time slip by.

I was getting paid, but my work wasn't getting done.
... And 400 people were depending on me.
(I eventually got it done).
driving is the one thing that i am concerned about with legalizing of pot...even with the less potent pot back in the 70s pot would make people distracted with changing a radio station or 8 track tape---with cellphones it's even worse-pot will affect judgement!!!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
driving is the one thing that i am concerned about with legalizing of pot...even with the less potent pot back in the 70s pot would make people distracted with changing a radio station or 8 track tape---with cellphones it's even worse-pot will affect judgement!!!
when I’ve driven stoned back in the day I’d forget chunks of journeys. Just used to zone out. Going too slow was the most dangerous thing I found (being overtaken by lorries as I was doing 45 on a motorway!)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
when I’ve driven stoned back in the day I’d forget chunks of journeys. Just used to zone out. Going too slow was the most dangerous thing I found (being overtaken by lorries as I was doing 45 on a motorway!)
in other words you were impaired?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I almost fell asleep 20 years ago driving in college stoned. Miracle I didn’t. Just one reason I would NEVER use it as a preworkout cause I would be stoned driving back.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Most people nowadays would get distracted if trying to operate a 8 track tape, high or not, js 😉

I don't know how it is in the US in the states where weed is legal, but some have made that same argument here where I live (where weed = illegal) and I just think it's a silly argument tbh. Alcohol is legal, people are popping all kinds of meds with description, but most don't drive drunk or heavily medicated. Legalising weed would also increase testing of drivers alot and could actually decrease the amount of stoned drivers in time. I have been tested for alcohol numerous times, but never for weed/other drugs for example.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Most people nowadays would get distracted if trying to operate a 8 track tape, high or not, js 😉

I don't know how it is in the US in the states where weed is legal, but some have made that same argument here where I live (where weed = illegal) and I just think it's a silly argument tbh. Alcohol is legal, people are popping all kinds of meds with description, but most don't drive drunk or heavily medicated. Legalising weed would also increase testing of drivers alot and could actually decrease the amount of stoned drivers in time. I have been tested for alcohol numerous times, but never for weed/other drugs for example.
if you think about it, you just made my point!!! were you high when you made that post, lol.

to put it bluntly they have no accurate test for pot , as far as i know they can't tell if you smoked 10 minutes ago or 10 hours ago.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
if you think about it, you just made my point!!! were you high when you made that post, lol.

to put it bluntly they have no accurate test for pot , as far as i know they can't tell if you smoked 10 minutes ago or 10 hours ago.
There's already different kinds of tests and the industry is workig on new testing devices all the time. The inadequate testing has been a problem though as you mention and people have been fighting in court about getting flagged when smoked the day before of driving.

But the point is I don't think driving high would become more frequent if weed would be legalized.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I live in a legal state and the fact that it's legal I no longer drive high. They look for it now when they pull you over even more.

As a seasoned user, weed does not effect me the same way it does people who barely indulge. I can drive high just fine, in fact I probably drive safer. But as legal card carrying adult I no longer take the risk.

Phones are a way bigger distraction for people imo along with tech in general. You can tell when you're out driving who is on their phone OR driving but thinking about their phone. That right there is way more dangerous than someone high on weed driving.

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I live in a legal state and the fact that it's legal I no longer drive high. They look for it now when they pull you over even more.

As a seasoned user, weed does not effect me the same way it does people who barely indulge. I can drive high just fine, in fact I probably drive safer. But as legal card carrying adult I no longer take the risk.

Phones are a way bigger distraction for people imo along with tech in general. You can tell when you're out driving who is on their phone OR driving but thinking about their phone. That right there is way more dangerous than someone high on weed driving.
I agree that when you are used to weed it may not affect your driving really especially with some hours after enjoying some. It affects less than being sleep deprived from night shift or something like that for example. I just cant take the risk that some kind of accident happens and I end up being one of the participants while high. I would question myself endlessly if I contributed to someones suffering by being high behind the wheel.

You are one of the examples that quit/decrease their driving while high, because of the legalization increasing testing of the drivers for weed.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I smoked weed occasionally b4 working out. But really small doses. Some would call this microdosing.

The dose has to be right below the edge of being high, if you know what I mean. It's like, only one puff. 0.05g of a strong thc strain for instance. This is if you don't have any tolerance to weed, which I don't.

What does this do? As somebody else mentioned, it really enhances the mind-muscle connection. And second, weed is really dopaminergic, and at small doses you get the dopamine without being high from the cannaboid activity.

It's really elusive, you have to be grown up about it. Don't expect to be high, but "enhanced". It's great this way, you just have to find the right dose that works for you. To much will make you high and lethargic.

How to do it? Put some coconut oil on the pen, heat it up to 130C. Then put the weed in it. You need to decarb the weed, so that the THCA converts to THC. At 130C this takes 5 minutes. Naturally, the hotter the oil, the faster this happens. Then, when the oil is still hot, remove the weed from the oil and suck the oil up in a syringe (without the needle). Put it in the fridge. When the oil gets cold you can easily push it out. Now you've got a way to exactly measure the dose and you can find the exact micro dose that suits your needs. As I said, for me, this is app 0.05g, so if you're willing to give this a go, start somewhere at that point. And again, don't expect to be "high", that's already to much. I really found benefit in doing this. And btw, it takes around an hour for the weed to fully kick in this way. And because of this, you wont really notice the transition from sober to "stoned", especially bc it's such a small dose. But trust me, you'll have much finer control of your motor functions on it.

We used to break dance after smoking weed, and now I also find that weed helps a lot with skating, especially doing manuals.

Now shrooms, did I hear somebody say shrooms? You cant workout on that really, it makes you to weak. It does however help with the mind body connection, but again, it isn't good for working out.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

what is the purpose in using weed if it doesn't have effect=impairment......but i give you high marks and big props for choosing not to drive under the influence!!!

Last edited:

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So check out this **** out...I open up the box and the sealed plastic and there are no fucking gummies in the box!! Do you believe this ****!! I feel like I’m in high school again and just got ganked trying to score some bud! I know it wasn’t the dispensary that did it, but the manufacturer. I’m going back there Thursday with the box. Do you think they will even believe me? Shady people must run this industry. I’m not so pissed about the money cause it was only $25, more pissed about all the time having to drive and gas money. Next time I am going to have them open it up in front of me before I leave!! Unbelievable!! It is. 3 hour drive to cross the border.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So check out this **** out...I open up the box and the sealed plastic and there are no fucking gummies in the box!! Do you believe this ****!! I feel like I’m in high school again and just got ganked trying to score some bud! I know it wasn’t the dispensary that did it, but the manufacturer. I’m going back there Thursday with the box. Do you think they will even believe me? Shady people must run this industry. I’m not so pissed about the money cause it was only $25, more pissed about all the time having to drive and gas money. Next time I am going to have them open it up in front of me before I leave!! Unbelievable!! It is. 3 hour drive to cross the border.
Why did you drive 3h for weed? Dont you know any locals that can hit you up?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
weed is illegal in indiana and i am 62, i know at least a dozen people i could buy weed from if i wanted, lol.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
weed is illegal in indiana and i am 62, i know at least a dozen people i could buy weed from if i wanted, lol.
Yeah. Multiply that by 3 x for me lol. If I wouldn't know nobody, I would probably order via the DN.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No I don’t associate with potheads. I drove across the border to MI where it is legal.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t really hang around anyone other than my wife to be honest so no local source.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m just surprised this would happen at a dispensary that is supposed to be reputable and has good reviews. It’s not the black market.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well ... just order over the DN. 3 hours for some weed (and that is in one direction?) is comical. If you need any tips on ordering over DN hit me over PM.

Vitruvian Man

Vitruvian Man

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
When I used to train with my brother in HS he swore by it. I didn’t really enjoy it, tried a few times for benefit of the doubt but just seemed to **** up my mental clarity. Vs a simple pre workout that would just have me tunnel visioned and getting **** done.

I did feel a stronger MMC so I get why people go for it but just not for I. In college though most serious guys I knew would use it recreationally as an alternative to booze so they could still party and let loose but without the major downsides alcohol brings. That to me seems very sound.

Unfortunately pot has always made me anxious paranoid so I do not enjoy it much. Though I have tried a strain called Jack Herer when I’ve been to states it’s legalized and seems like I could enjoy it. Now I just have to hope PA legalizes soon so I can have consistent access.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
what is the purpose in using weed if it doesn't have effect=impairment......but i give you high marks and big props for choosing not to drive under the influence!!!
Lots of benefits to cannabis. I don't use it to get impaired. Sleep, stress, anxiety, appetite. It helps all of that. Great for libido as well.

If I wanted to be impaired I'd use actual drugs.