• Established
haha first thread in year(s)

went manual never looked back:FUfinger:

DmitryWI

DmitryWI

I know nothing...
Awards
  • Established
I wanted manual so bad last time I was buying a car, but they didn't have a good deal for me. So I got Mazda 6 automatic for pretty cheap. :)

holyintellect

holyintellect

Awards
  • Established
I dont undestand why you would want to shift gears? My first car was a 64 1/2 Mustang 3 speed...the only car Ive had that was a stick since then was a 97 Jeep Wrangler....never again, if I can help it.

holy

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
unless you are doing something with it that requires high performance, 4x4 or racing etc then ill take an auto. With gas prices a small manual trans car is nice too but you got to remember traffic.......there is so much traffic here manual is a bad thing imo.

TruffleShuffle

Awards
  • Established
Manuals are so much faster. Also often with autos you go up a hill and you're sitting there waiting for the car to shift down and it doesnt untill you're near the top when its too late!

I'd have an auto as a commuter car or if i had a big barge like a 5-series BMW or merc etc. But otherwise Manual all the way.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Manuals are so much faster. Also often with autos you go up a hill and you're sitting there waiting for the car to shift down and it doesnt untill you're near the top when its too late!

I'd have an auto as a commuter car or if i had a big barge like a 5-series BMW or merc etc. But otherwise Manual all the way.
do you have to drive thru alot of traffic?

Nothing like driving manual in traffic going up hill lol.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
manual for fun driving..........auto for daily commute.

396 cid+ 5 Speed tremec TKO, 12 bolt posi 3.42:1 out back= fun , mpg not so great with the puddledumper

305 cid 3 speed automatic trans with open 2.41:1 gears outback = turd and great gas mileage

yes i am speaking from personal experience..........

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
Depends on what it is.
The new Porsche Tiptronic, and Ferrari F1 "paddle" shifters are awesome. Same with the SMG in BMW's M3
Driven them, thats how I know.

Auto aint as bad as it used to be, with the manumatic options. I do say though, in a classic manual is the only way to go.

If its your daily driver, and you live in a big traffic area, auto is good. Riding that clutch in stop and go, is 0 fun.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If its your daily driver, and you live in a big traffic area, auto is good. Riding that clutch in stop and go, is 0 fun.
yeah, and you put alot of wear on it, clutches dont do so good when you gotta ride that beotch

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Ya'll have already said all that needs to be said. Manual is real driving (and 10x more fun), but automatic is more practical, especially in traffic.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Only owned 1 vehicle in my life, and that's my 97' Jeep TJ.
It's pretty rare to find an auto TJ, but I have one and love it. Daily commutes are so much nicer, plus I'd have to shift like crazy in traffic since she's geared so low.

Auto's actually do have some advantages over stick when 4x4'ing, such as a more constant velocity and the ability to ride the break when needed.

Me? I have a hard enough time staying on the road when there are hot chicks walking by in the summer - my poor brain doesn't need more distractions to think about, such as when to shift, etc. :p LoL

danTman2

Awards
  • Established
heard that. At first drivin a stick i had to think about what i was going to do but after some good drives its just second nature, i still think its fun even in heavy traffic but on some open roads ur gonna have a good time.

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I will never buy an automatic. I love manual. I feel that you have more control of the car. I replace my breaks once every 2 years. It's way more fun to drive. If you kn ow how to drive and not burn out the clutch then the clutch could last well over 100,000 miles. I had a car with 130,000 miles on it and the clutch was still great. Sold it to a friend who didn't know how to drive standard and he burnt it out within 6 months.