Making the skin more oily/moist

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I was never one to use moisturizer lotion after a shower cause my skin never needed it. The only time I would have really dry skin was exposure to cold in the winter or chlorine in the water after swimming (normal drying). But I moved to florida over 4 years ago and gradually my skin started to get dryer and dryer. I've always had skin eczema but because my skin got dryer this made my eczema really bad and flare up constantly. I was forced to start using moisturizer lotion after every shower and had to moisturize daily. It got to the point where my skin just does not maintain moisture. I have to buy the lotion that is almost like grease and it takes me awhile to put it on each night cause that is the stuff that lasts the longest but by middle of the next day I still have dry skin. I've tried not showering every single day but this doesn't help, My skin only gets irriated more and starts flaring my eczema. I'm not sure what happend to my skin that it became so dry all over when I moved to florida and wondering if theres any way to fix it. Maybe some changes went on in my body. Anyway I am back home now. Philadelphia and hoping that my skin will gradually return to condition it was in before I left. Is there any ideas on why this happend or what I can do to keep my skin moist from the inside out, not just from the outside in? I've tried high fat/low carb diets with no sucess. I've tried heavy doses of omega 3's and no improvement. I've tried very high doses of MSM because I've read of the skin benifets but I saw no results and nothing on joints either btw. I've tried hyrdaulic acid which "claims" to moisturize the skin from the inside out but it didn't work for me. I pretty much only drink water and lots of it and sports drinks when needed. Maybe the cure will just be being back home and overtime my skin will get better, IDK.. Thanks for any input.

Jake Fires

Jake Fires

Awards
  • Established
what kind of soap do u use. and is there somewhere your usually at or do u use something daily?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
what kind of soap do u use. and is there somewhere your usually at or do u use something daily?
I've gone through many brands and types of soap because of my condition. I have to stick to a hypoallergenic type because my skin is sensitive and that is also soybean free cause I am allergic to soy. For awhile I was using St. Ive's oatmeal and shea butter. I have no reaction to it but it doesn't moisturize great. Back in the day Dove's body wash used to moisturize very well but that doesn't even work anymore and it also contains soy. Recently I also use Olay's hypoallergenic one that works well but no great results. Surprisingly axe makes a hypoallergenic bodywash that also smells good and I have no negative effects from it. I am currently using that one. None of them however will keep my skin moisturized. I've learned that I can't rely on a bodywash to do that. I think I've tried everything under the sun and wasted a lot money so I definetely believe it's a internal problem.

STPlover

STPlover

Awards
Be aware as most moisturizers are crap. Are you getting plebty of water in your diet, ask good fats?

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Be aware as most moisturizers are crap. Are you getting plebty of water in your diet, ask good fats?
Yea and anything that has a pump doesn't moisturize well either. I get containers. Even the higher priced stuff is no better then the cheaper stuff. Aveeno is ridiculously priced and not better then a generic moisturizers. Plenty of water, that's all I drink. Lots of good fats as well.

Btw.. seeing STP in May with AIC :head:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know you already used Omega 3s, but what brand? There is a huge disparity in efficacy amongst brands and proper dosing can vary. I recommend Nordic Naturals or LEF in conjunction with some Krill Oil.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I know you already used Omega 3s, but what brand? There is a huge disparity in efficacy amongst brands and proper dosing can vary. I recommend Nordic Naturals or LEF in conjunction with some Krill Oil.
Cheap brands from Costco,sams club all the way up. Swanson's ecOomega, Carlson and yes Nordic. I've dosed up to 12grams on on these brands and I've noticed nothing. Not even any other benifets like cognitive as well. I posted about that in a few threads awhile back. I've wasted so much money on Fish oil its ridiculous. When I did my research on helping my eczema over the years yes omega 3 would pop up but a omega 6 fat (GLA) would pop up even more. Though the evidence is scanty. My intake of omega 6 is very high. Overal My Omega intake is very good and has been for many years. I think the reason the fish oil has no effect is because of this. I've tried flax also with no effects on the skin but I do have to say that sesame and flax do help with fat loss more so then other oils I've tried.

colange2

Awards
I have a similar problem on my face and I use extra virgin coconut oil. After I shower I let some melt in my hand and then put it on the dry areas. I've been using it for about 2 months and it has only done good things. It's also really convenient because you can use it when you cook. I would definitely give that a try, but don't use a lot at once because it makes your skin look very wet and shiny if you really load it up.

BMCLouzee

Have you seen a dermatologist? I've encountered people with severe eczema before and drugstore products that were recommended to them are the following:

Cleanser:

- Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser: It's the one that has the consistency of goo. Completely soap-free and you have the option of rinsing it off with water or tissuing it off
- Eucerin calming cleanser: soap-free, I believe
- Cera Ve cleanser: also a goo consistency

Moisturizer:

- Cera Ve moisturizing lotion (in a pump): I LOVE this lotion. It doesn't have that greasy feel like most lotions have. In fact, I will go on to say that it has a unique formulation that lets your skin breathe while protecting it from the elements. Definitely recommend. It's really gentle and you can use this in the morning. It doesn't have SPF though and I don't know how sensitive you are to products with SPF. This also comes in a cream, if you feel that the lotion doesn't cut it for you. It's in a tub though and a bit unsanitary, but I'm a chick and I'm like that.

- Eucerin Aquaphor Ointment: Basically vaseline on steroids. I would imagine you can use this at night so that you won't be in public looking like you smeared grease all over yourself. It comes in a huge tub or a little tube. I love this stuff, too. I have combination skin and I get days where the weather is just f-ing with my skin so I slather this on overnight and it fixes those dry spots in the morning. Also great for chapped lips. A very versatile product. You can use it on rough elbow, feet, etc.

- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion/Cream: Extremely greasy and don't really recommend unless your skin simply does not respond to CeraVe.

I would recommend using completely soap-free products for cleansers. You already have sensitive skin, you don't want to make it worse by using harsh detergents that strip away natural oils or abrasive grains that will further irritate your skin. As for moisturizers, try one of the above, I suggest CeraVe because it's much lighter than Aquaphor and Cetaphil. Just know that it will take some time for your skin to get used to a moisturizer, so if it doesn't work overnight be patient. All these products are available at Walgreens and CVS. I haven't seen CeraVe at Wal-mart, but I know for sure that Eucerin and Cetaphil are available there. CeraVe is pretty pricey though.

I read an awesome article about supplements you can take to stimulate natural oil production in skin. If I ever find it, I'll let you know. I'm not a big advocate of slathering oils on sensitive skin, especially heavy ones like coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil, etc. Great for normal skin and regular dry skin. Oil basically forms a protective layer and some people react great to it and some not. The skin needs to breathe and films of grease prevent it from doing that. However, I will share with you OCM. Oil cleansing method is basically using a combination of Jojoba, Olive, Castor oils (measured according to your needs) to cleanse your face instead of using soap and water. Some women LOVE this and claim that it leaves their skin soft, smooth, and moisturized, but others argue that all it does is clog your pores and cause breakouts. You gently massage this blend of oils onto your skin, loosening dirt, makeup, dead skin cells from your pores, then you take a washcloth run it under really hot water, wring it out and place it on your face and let the steam open your pores and further loosen dirt. Gently wipe the oil away from the face and repeat the process till all the oil is gone. You have the option of moisturizing afterward, but a thin layer of oil left from OCM is usually sufficient. This is supposed to be good for normal to dry skin. I have combination skin and this works well as a once a week treatment. I don't know how well it will work for someone with your skin type, but it's worth a try. No soap, plenty of nourishing oils, and relatively cheap. I've also tried this method using straight coconut oil. I love coconut oil. I do a hair treatment with coconut oil and nothing gets my hair shinier.

Oh lord, I'm going uber woman right now. I'll stop right here =)

BMCLouzee

NaPCA (Sodium PCA) is a mixture of water, Eucalyptus, and a special salt that claims to be that salt found naturally in moisturized skin. Check it out at Vitamin Shoppe. I have it. I don't need help with moisturizing, but I use it to freshen my skin during hot days and to help set my makeup.

A pump bottle filled with clean water helps too. If you want, you can get Evian spray. It's such a beauty staple, but I don't buy it because I can't justify spending $9 for water.

You can also try a mixture of glycerin and water. It's going to be a light spray if you feel your face/body need a moisture boost.

Mark by Avon also has a moisture spray. It's amped up with extracts and sh!t, but essentially the same as above. It's called Mist Opportunity.

orangerain

Awards
Well, I think you just need to keep hydrated. Also, try using soap with a moisturizing effect. And before leaving the bathroom, apply lotion. If this does not work, try going to your dermatologist. The same thing happened to me and I was told that it can be caused by stress. My dermatologist gave me this cream that I used for about two weeks, and my skin went back to being smooth again. I hope this helps! :)

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I have a similar problem on my face and I use extra virgin coconut oil. After I shower I let some melt in my hand and then put it on the dry areas. I've been using it for about 2 months and it has only done good things. It's also really convenient because you can use it when you cook. I would definitely give that a try, but don't use a lot at once because it makes your skin look very wet and shiny if you really load it up.
I've tried applying olive oil to my face and skin before but never coconut. The oil does get pricey and I believe does affect the breathing of the skin and I think I also experienced more acne around that time and acne is not common for me.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Have you seen a dermatologist? I've encountered people with severe eczema before and drugstore products that were recommended to them are the following:

Cleanser:

- Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser: It's the one that has the consistency of goo. Completely soap-free and you have the option of rinsing it off with water or tissuing it off
- Eucerin calming cleanser: soap-free, I believe
- Cera Ve cleanser: also a goo consistency

Moisturizer:

- Cera Ve moisturizing lotion (in a pump): I LOVE this lotion. It doesn't have that greasy feel like most lotions have. In fact, I will go on to say that it has a unique formulation that lets your skin breathe while protecting it from the elements. Definitely recommend. It's really gentle and you can use this in the morning. It doesn't have SPF though and I don't know how sensitive you are to products with SPF. This also comes in a cream, if you feel that the lotion doesn't cut it for you. It's in a tub though and a bit unsanitary, but I'm a chick and I'm like that.

- Eucerin Aquaphor Ointment: Basically vaseline on steroids. I would imagine you can use this at night so that you won't be in public looking like you smeared grease all over yourself. It comes in a huge tub or a little tube. I love this stuff, too. I have combination skin and I get days where the weather is just f-ing with my skin so I slather this on overnight and it fixes those dry spots in the morning. Also great for chapped lips. A very versatile product. You can use it on rough elbow, feet, etc.

- Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion/Cream: Extremely greasy and don't really recommend unless your skin simply does not respond to CeraVe.

I read an awesome article about supplements you can take to stimulate natural oil production in skin.
I've not seen a dermatatologist but I've been to a few dr's for oral steriods and cremes as well as allergists. The problem with eczema is what works for one does not work for all. My skin is very sensitive and the best option for me when I shower is get in and get out as quick as possible to preserve moisture and not irritate my skin any more. A gentle hypoallergenic cleanser that doesn't leave me completely dry. I can't keep the water too hot either. Cleanser isn't the problem. As far as moisturizers go I'm currently using the Eucerin moisturizing tub that is very greasy and takes forever to put on and is a workout alone puting that on my whole body but it lasts. I found 2 other light lotions that I like. St. Ive's and Aveeno's with menthol. They all get me by as long as I use them but I've come to the realization that I'm just covering up the problem. Why isn't my skin retaining moisture? I'm trying to get to the route issue here. My skin changed and I believe it may have had something to do with the weather, maybe even stress but I'm trying to figure out what changes in the body could cause this. Some scientific reasons so I get a idea how I can fix it. That's more of the answers I'm looking for. If you find those articles let me know.. thanks for the info!

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
Well, I think you just need to keep hydrated. Also, try using soap with a moisturizing effect. And before leaving the bathroom, apply lotion. If this does not work, try going to your dermatologist. The same thing happened to me and I was told that it can be caused by stress. My dermatologist gave me this cream that I used for about two weeks, and my skin went back to being smooth again. I hope this helps! :)
Stress may have been the route issue for me too but I'm trying to connect the dots with stress and how it can affect skin moisture and I haven't come up with anything yet. Many articles say stress can flare up eczema and stress can cause dry/flaky skin but WHY? What changes does it cause in the body? That's what I'm trying to find out. Before I moved to florida, I have only ever used moisturizer lotion on my hands in the winter. Never on my body. Never needed it. I didn't have oily skin either before. I wasn't prone to acne, I had very healthy hydrated skin. Something drastically changed.

footballfam

Awards
I was never one to use moisturizer lotion after a shower cause my skin never needed it. The only time I would have really dry skin was exposure to cold in the winter or chlorine in the water after swimming (normal drying). But I moved to florida over 4 years ago and gradually my skin started to get dryer and dryer. I've always had skin eczema but because my skin got dryer this made my eczema really bad and flare up constantly. I was forced to start using moisturizer lotion after every shower and had to moisturize daily. It got to the point where my skin just does not maintain moisture. I have to buy the lotion that is almost like grease and it takes me awhile to put it on each night cause that is the stuff that lasts the longest but by middle of the next day I still have dry skin. I've tried not showering every single day but this doesn't help, My skin only gets irriated more and starts flaring my eczema. I'm not sure what happend to my skin that it became so dry all over when I moved to florida and wondering if theres any way to fix it. Maybe some changes went on in my body. Anyway I am back home now. Philadelphia and hoping that my skin will gradually return to condition it was in before I left. Is there any ideas on why this happend or what I can do to keep my skin moist from the inside out, not just from the outside in? I've tried high fat/low carb diets with no sucess. I've tried heavy doses of omega 3's and no improvement. I've tried very high doses of MSM because I've read of the skin benifets but I saw no results and nothing on joints either btw. I've tried hyrdaulic acid which "claims" to moisturize the skin from the inside out but it didn't work for me. I pretty much only drink water and lots of it and sports drinks when needed. Maybe the cure will just be being back home and overtime my skin will get better, IDK.. Thanks for any input.
Try good old Palmers coco butter cream. Pat yourself dry after shower and apply. Worked great for my husband's extremely dry skin. Not crazy about the smell, but goes on easy and absorbs quickly.

Google Dreams products by denise. She has lots of products for sensitive skin, extremely reasonable prices, and she will custom mix products for your needs.

orangerain

Awards
Stress may have been the route issue for me too but I'm trying to connect the dots with stress and how it can affect skin moisture and I haven't come up with anything yet. Many articles say stress can flare up eczema and stress can cause dry/flaky skin but WHY? What changes does it cause in the body? That's what I'm trying to find out. Before I moved to florida, I have only ever used moisturizer lotion on my hands in the winter. Never on my body. Never needed it. I didn't have oily skin either before. I wasn't prone to acne, I had very healthy hydrated skin. Something drastically changed.
I guess it's because a huge amount of stress can affect your body functions if you are unable to manage it. I read that stress can be caused by sudden changes in the environment that requires your body to do some adjusting.

Here's an article you might want to browse through for more information on stress and how it affects the body: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/effects-of-stress-on-your-body

Dee11

Dee11

Awards
Water, exfoliate 2 times a week. Lotion works for me

Intellectual

Awards
I'm the opposite. My face is excessively oily and I have to wash it like a dozen times a day even though its not good for it. I'm seriously considering accutane, its that bad.

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
You said you get a lot of Omega 6? Omega 6 can cause inflammation in the body in excess. Eczema is an inflammatory disease. You can balance it by consuming more canola oil. Macademia nut oil is also a good one. Do you eat dairy?

Instead of worrying about all these moisturizers and soaps I'd start working on it from the inside out. Try to limit grains or anything with gluten for a while, in addition to dairy and nightshades. Nightshades include tomato, peppers and potatoes. Nightshades can increase inflammation. Gluten intolerance can build without being diagnosed with Celiacs disease. Dairy is some of the most net acidic things for your body.

Eat fruits and veggies, nuts and meat for a week or so and see how that turns out. You've tried everything else, why not try a strict change in diet for a few.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
I guess it's because a huge amount of stress can affect your body functions if you are unable to manage it. I read that stress can be caused by sudden changes in the environment that requires your body to do some adjusting.

Here's an article you might want to browse through for more information on stress and how it affects the body: http://www.webmd.com/balance/guide/effects-of-stress-on-your-body
Yes and I'm trying to find out what parts of the body it disrupts so I can get to the route problem. I'm leaning towards cortisol though as being a big one. Just plain adrenal fatigue in general because of the constant need for your body to handle stress and then later inability to handle it. Cortisol is also a big anti-inflammatory. It has anti-histamine effects. All of which can control my eczema. If the cortisol was low in my body or my adrenals was not producing enough then it would not be able to control my eczema. I ordered Isocort which contains cortisol from raw adrenal material and if I see some results within a few days or so I'll know.

Flaw

Flaw

Awards
  • Established
You said you get a lot of Omega 6? Omega 6 can cause inflammation in the body in excess. Eczema is an inflammatory disease. You can balance it by consuming more canola oil. Macademia nut oil is also a good one. Do you eat dairy?

Instead of worrying about all these moisturizers and soaps I'd start working on it from the inside out. Try to limit grains or anything with gluten for a while, in addition to dairy and nightshades. Nightshades include tomato, peppers and potatoes. Nightshades can increase inflammation. Gluten intolerance can build without being diagnosed with Celiacs disease. Dairy is some of the most net acidic things for your body.

Eat fruits and veggies, nuts and meat for a week or so and see how that turns out. You've tried everything else, why not try a strict change in diet for a few.
I've tried it all. I've done a anti-inflammatory diet. I've also done a alkaline diet. I've tested my urine so I could get my body in a alkaline state. I thought that maybe I did feel better but no changes happend in my skin. It could of been a placebo effect. "Wishful thinking" I went on a wheat/gluten free diet as well with no results. Later I was tested for food allergies and wheat or gluten I am not intolerant of. I also am allowed to eat diary. I am allergic to soy and peanuts however. I was tested by blood as well as injection by allergist. If it is a hormonal reason such as a imbalance or a weakness in the adrenal glands a special diet isn't gonna do much anyway. Your just guessing. I'm trying to get to the route problem. If I know what it is then I might be able to fix it. I am leaning towards adrenal fatigue and low cortisol production right now.