Magnesium Source

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you supplement with magnesium, what type do you use and how much? I don’t like ZMA as it makes me feel strange the next day (hard to explain), and magnesium glycinate messes with my ketones (at least on an empty stomach before bed, haven’t tried with food at night yet).

I’ve ordered magnesium malate to try by Source Naturals. To get a sufficient dose to prevent deficiency symptoms I’ll need the full 6 cap dose and it recommends taking 2 caps each meal as opposed to taking all at once. Is there any real reason for that that anyone knows of?
Thanks in advance.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The main type I like is VS magnesium taurate (usually just take 125 mg of elemental magnesium per day).

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you supplement with magnesium, what type do you use and how much? I don’t like ZMA as it makes me feel strange the next day (hard to explain), and magnesium glycinate messes with my ketones (at least on an empty stomach before bed, haven’t tried with food at night yet).

I’ve ordered magnesium malate to try by Source Naturals. To get a sufficient dose to prevent deficiency symptoms I’ll need the full 6 cap dose and it recommends taking 2 caps each meal as opposed to taking all at once. Is there any real reason for that that anyone knows of?
Thanks in advance.
I have been using Glycinate (biglycinate) read somewhere this was a better form for those with muscle spasms. I take 400mg at night for this purpose, along with Zinc Gluconate and B6 (my own zma)

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have been using Glycinate (biglycinate) read somewhere this was a better form for those with muscle spasms. I take 400mg at night for this purpose, along with Zinc Gluconate and B6 (my own zma)
I’ve been considering stacking some actual ZMA with mag glycinate, like 1 cap ZMA with another 300mg mag glycinate.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
millennium sports technologies-MST makes the best zma/magnesium product ive ever tried-ZMK

PhoenixGamer

Awards
Topical magnesium gel is best for enhanced absorption. MagneGel by Designs For Health is great.

PhoenixGamer

Awards
The science seems to say nope.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5579607/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5389641/

Transdermal is a way to use magnesium, but hardly "best" or "enhanced absorption."
The addition of hydroxypropyl starch phosphate as a surfactant greatly enhances the penetration and absorption of magnesium through the skin. And if you look at the studies you posted, they clearly absorbed the magnesium as the hair and urine shows. One thing to note, Serum Magnesium is not a reliable indicator of Mg status. It will never reflect tissue status until the individual is either severely depleted or has become toxic with too much Mg. Homeostasis will always keep certain Serum minerals in mid-range at all times. Calcium is another example; the body will leech Ca from bones to keep Ca mid-range in the Serum (Bloodstream), thus obscuring Ca deficiency. Read the reviews of people using topical magnesium. It works.
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/role-of-surfactants-as-penetration-enhancer-in-transdermal-drug-delivery-system-2329-9053.1000113.php?aid=28051

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The addition of hydroxypropyl starch phosphate as a surfactant greatly enhances the penetration and absorption of magnesium through the skin. And if you look at the studies you posted, they clearly absorbed the magnesium as the hair and urine shows. One thing to note, Serum Magnesium is not a reliable indicator of Mg status. It will never reflect tissue status until the individual is either severely depleted or has become toxic with too much Mg. Homeostasis will always keep certain Serum minerals in mid-range at all times. Calcium is another example; the body will leech Ca from bones to keep Ca mid-range in the Serum (Bloodstream), thus obscuring Ca deficiency. Read the reviews of people using topical magnesium. It works.
https://www.omicsonline.org/open-access/role-of-surfactants-as-penetration-enhancer-in-transdermal-drug-delivery-system-2329-9053.1000113.php?aid=28051
I didn't say it doesn't work or else epsom salt soaks would be useless. I said that transdermal isn't the best way, so to say to use that approach for "enhanced absorption" isn't true in regards to magnesium. The link you posted is just a generic review on surfactants and doesn't mention magnesium. You might want to use this one in the future https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11160549

PhoenixGamer

Awards
I didn't say it doesn't work or else epsom salt soaks would be useless. I said that transdermal isn't the best way, so to say to use that approach for "enhanced absorption" isn't true in regards to magnesium. The link you posted is just a generic review on surfactants and doesn't mention magnesium. You might want to use this one in the future https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11160549
It is true. The absorption is enhanced. The link you provided in regards to Hydroxypropyl distarch is referring to oral use and its impact on mineral absorption. This has nothing to do with its effects transdermally as a surfactant and enhancing permeability when applied topically.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is true. The absorption is enhanced. The link you provided in regards to Hydroxypropyl distarch is referring to oral use and its impact on mineral absorption. This has nothing to do with its effects transdermally as a surfactant and enhancing permeability when applied topically.
Show me the science then that transdermal magnesium has enhanced absorption to oral. The supposed Shealey paper that MagneGel cites as "evidence" of their product doesn't exist, so fraud on that one. Looks like it was at most a conference abstract and they're peddling it as a conclusive clinical study.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nootropics Depot MicroMag. Best absorption out there

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nootropics Depot MicroMag. Best absorption out there
Love Nootropics Depot but you can get the same sucrosomial magnesium from Pure Encapsulations (UltraMag) for half the price (and at a slightly higher dose per capsule).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 17
Supplements 17
Supplements 34
Supplements 9
Prince IronMag Labs 2