Lyle's Ultimate Diet 2.0 Log

danny2905

Awards
So I have finished the first phase of my diet (mid Feb to mid May). My weight went from 79.6kg to 74.3kg as of today. that's 5.3kg in 9 weeks (I had 2 weeks diet break beginning of April, and then another week at maintenance because of mental fatigue). I have posted the results below, not sure not to make of the results. I look basically the same even 5kg lighter, guess I underestimated my body fat %, like most people do haha.

While I was doing my research about Yohimbine I stumbled upon Lyle's book The Ultimate Diet 2.0. Interesting read and very informative. I have been doing leangains up until this point and even though it still produces results (losing roughly 0.5kg per week), it was getting tedious and boring, plus my strengths started to get affected and lifting heavy does not feel like a joy anymore. I would still get through the workout, but with much less enthusiasm.

My stats as of today
Squat: 140kg 5x5 - 142.5kg 1x2
DL: 150kg 5x5 - 162.5kg 1x3
DB Press: 72kg 3x8 - 84kg 3x6

So, today is Cycle 1 Day 1 for me. I plan to do at least 6 cycles, maybe 8 if I can last that long, and will try to follow everything to a T. Decided to start this log so I can hold myself accountable, and if any of you have tried UD2.0 before and have any advice to give I'd greatly appreciated it. If you have a log please send it my way too. Cheers. Will update my diet and training later tonight. Cheers!

Attachments

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I definitely see a difference. Even if you don't I feel you did pretty well in that first phase of weight loss!

UD 2.0 is a burner. Those depletion workouts are tough. Good luck, log should help keep that motivation up.

danny2905

Awards
I definitely see a difference. Even if you don't I feel you did pretty well in that first phase of weight loss!

UD 2.0 is a burner. Those depletion workouts are tough. Good luck, log should help keep that motivation up.
Thank you, and yes the depletion workout lives up to its reputation haha I just have a quick question, is it ok to take pre-workout (C4) before these workouts? Would it interfere with the goal of depleting muscle glycogen?

danny2905

Awards
Day 1 is over. Stats: 74.3kg, waist 85.6cm.

As for nutrition, on Day 1-3 I'm taking in 1400cals from food and doing 45mins LISS fasted in the morning coupled with Yohimbine (burns around 200cals) which put me around 1200cal on average. Macros come at 70C/205P/33F. I included pic of my meal (chicken breast, egg white, sweet potatoes, and veggies).

As for the depletion workout, even though I have read a lot of logs to prepared myself mentally, I didn't really know how hard it would be until I actually do it haha. I kept cursing at myself the whole time especially during those last reps, the burn was insane. I am so used to low/moderate reps training for so long that high reps are like torture to me. I got the nausea he was talking about, almost puked like at least 5 times (the smell of fish oil and chicken breast lingered in my throat was nasty). Luckily no headache.

And now I can see why Lyle recommends using machines for these depletion workouts because in an energy-depleted state, one mishap gonna cost you. I read on someone's log that he pulled his lower back just from re-racking weights :cautious:. Just shows how vulnerable our body is when there's not much energy to use.

The funny thing about the workout is, I hate it while I was doing it, but love it after I've finished 😂. This kind of training is like a new challenge for me and I'm proud of myself for getting through with it. Not sure how long this kind of optimism will last haha

My body is beat. Hopefully I can get a good night sleep tonight.

Attachments

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ With a meal like that you should get a goods nights rest! Looks pretty good.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thank you, and yes the depletion workout lives up to its reputation haha I just have a quick question, is it ok to take pre-workout (C4) before these workouts? Would it interfere with the goal of depleting muscle glycogen?
Shouldn't be an issue.

danny2905

Awards
^^^ With a meal like that you should get a goods nights rest! Looks pretty good.
The glutamine helps a lot. I normally can't fall asleep until 1-2AM, even if I try. Took 10gr Glutamine before bed yesterday and fell asleep at around 12AM. Might need to stop drinking water after 8PM though I kept waking up in the middle of the night to pee.

danny2905

Awards
C1D2 - 73.3kg ( ⬇ 1kg)

Woke up feeling good. My whole body aches but not to the point of unbearable. Did my morning cardio with Yohimbine (up to 5 pills, my dosage is 7). Got the cold sweat that people talk about but besides that nothing major, no anxiety issue. Gonna up my dosage tomorrow.

The depletion workout for today is even worse than yesterday (I should have known). Got both the headache and the nausea. Took slightly longer rest between sets but still managed to finish it. However I had no appetite for dinner, and almost puked while eating my chicken breasts. Weird.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
in to follow... nobody EVER finished a log of UD2 here haha. I;ve seen at least 10 start and they disappear after a week or so.

It's def a tough diet and workout scheme to follow and you will have some real highs and lows for sure! Hoping you stick to it becuase its truly a unique protocol

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The glutamine helps a lot. I normally can't fall asleep until 1-2AM, even if I try. Took 10gr Glutamine before bed yesterday and fell asleep at around 12AM. Might need to stop drinking water after 8PM though I kept waking up in the middle of the night to pee.

I hate that. I try to not drink too much before bed or I will do the same (get up a lot during the night).

danny2905

Awards
I hate that. I try to not drink too much before bed or I will do the same (get up a lot during the night).
It is indeed very frustrating. It messes up with the quality of your sleep I can tell. Glad that I'm not the only one haha

danny2905

Awards
in to follow... nobody EVER finished a log of UD2 here haha. I;ve seen at least 10 start and they disappear after a week or so.

It's def a tough diet and workout scheme to follow and you will have some real highs and lows for sure! Hoping you stick to it becuase its truly a unique protocol
More reason for me to stick to it, I hate being called a quitter. But I can tell by people logs that this diet can mess up with you mentally, and it's just gonna get harder every week. That's why I think having an online log is important. Knowing someone out there is watching you as you progress sometimes give you that needed mental boost you need, just like how you can push 1 or 2 more reps if you know someone is watching haha.

I will try my best to not let you down 😂

danny2905

Awards
C1D3 - 72.8kg (⬇ 0.5kg - ⬇1.5kg from D1)

I had about four hours of sleep last night. Went to bed early but couldn't sleep. I suspect the extra scoop of C4 might be the culprit. And after the second depletion workout my whole body was aching (especially legs) to the point that I might get cramps on my calves in the middle of the night.

So needless to say, my morning was crap. I looked like a zombie, with a body of one to match. Could have skipped the cardio, but I didn't. And I actually felt better afterwards. Also did some foam rolling and the aches subside. I will remember to foam roll after every depletion workout from now on.

Anyway, I survived the hardest days of the week. Can't wait for those bagels tomorrow night 😋😋😋

danny2905

Awards
C1D4 - 72.8kg ( same - ⬇1.5kg from D1)

900cal/55C/133P/32F

Went to bed early last night and got a solid 7 hours of sleep (could have been more but had to wake up to pee). Nevertheless I felt great, full of energy, and since I had two hours to spare before class started, I decided to do my cardio first instead of waiting till around noon. Lyle said Day 4 morning would be tough, I felt the opposite, not sure if it means that I'm not glycogen-depleted enough (?). However, I looked great in the mirror. Finished classes then went to get my allotted 7 bagels for the carb up. Got a few stares on the MRT, guess Taiwanese aren't used to people walking around with that many bagels 😂. Also tried the new Mustard & Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin recipe. Moist and tasty. I might substitute this for chicken breast on Day1/2/3. After all these months I'm getting sick of chicken breasts.

Will update later tonight, in the meantime, enjoy my spreadsheet :cool:

Attachments

Last edited:
booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
C1D4 - 72.8kg ( same - ⬇1.5kg from D1)

900cal/55C/133P/32F

Went to bed early last night and got a solid 7 hours of sleep (could have been more but had to wake up to pee). Nevertheless I felt great, full of energy, and since I had two hours to spare before class started, I decided to do my cardio first instead of waiting till around noon. Lyle said Day 4 morning would be tough, I felt the opposite, not sure if it means that I'm not glycogen-depleted enough (?). However, I looked great in the mirror. Finished classes then went to get my allotted 7 bagels for the carb up. Got a few stares on the MRT, guess Taiwanese aren't used to people walking around with that many bagels 😂. Also tried the new Mustard & Brown Sugar Pork Tenderloin recipe. Moist and tasty. I might substitute this for chicken breast on Day1/2/3. After all these months I'm getting sick of chicken breasts.

Will update later tonight, in the meantime, enjoy my spreadsheet :cool:
oooh a spreadsheet guy haha... my kind of geek!

danny2905

Awards
C1D5 - 74kg (⬆ 1.8kg - ⬇ 0.3kg from D1)

Macros for D4 PM - D5
4500cal/709C/65F/200P

Ha. Weight gain (or more like water gain). And after only one high carb meal at night yesterday. I wonder what my weight will be tomorrow. However I look just as lean as I was yesterday.

However thanks to that high-carb meal I got a solid 8.5 hours of sleep. Felt great. Did some cardio x yohimbine fasted in the morning (totally forgot Lyle recommends against thermogenic on carb-up day).

I did make some changes to the plan. I was gonna make bagels the staple of my carb source, however, I have decided against the idea. 1) Bagels here aren't the same as the ones in the States, 2) plain bagel without cream cheese ( and a lot of it) just doesn't do it for me. So I decided to have pasta as the carb source for all of my meals. Taking in more than half a kilo of pasta in 30 hours is fun. I love it. Plus I think sticking to one carb source would be beneficial for me when I need to evaluate my reaction to the carb-up tomorrow. If there is no bloating then I will stick to it, if there is then I will switch to white rice next week. The only hard thing is the minimal amount of meat I get to eat with the pasta. The pasta alone already accounts for half of my protein of the day :cry:

I did feel a bit drowsiness. But I'm glad there is one day where I get to eat a lot and be a couch potato while doing it. Before during rest days my calorie intake was too low that being at rest wasn't exactly comfortable.

All in all, so far so good.

Last edited:

danny2905

Awards
C1D6 - 73.9kg (⬇ 0.1kg - ⬇0.4kg from D1)

The carb-up went well. No bloating and I look just as lean as the other day. I'm quite amazed truthfully after all the pasta I ate yesterday..

However, the workout didn't go as well as I had planned. My DL went from 165kg to 155kg, and those were forceful reps. I think it might be because of two reasons:

1) I didn't get enough carb the day before. Lyle suggests 12-16gr/kg LBM, I set mine at 13gr, and still didn't quite reach the number. I think for that reason my muscles doesn't feel as "full" today as they could have been, which could be the reason my workout suffered.
2) I need a more realistic expectation for the workout. Seeing people said they got PRs on all the lifts got me excited and hoped that I could achieve the same. But now that I had some time to think about it, it actually makes sense to not PRs on all the lifts. For example, on a good day I can press 88kg dumbbells (44kg each) 3x6. But that is when it's my first exercise of the day when I'm still fresh, and I can't expect to push the same amount of weight after squat/deadlift. So I think I need to reevaluate what I should expect from the power workout, because once you set expectations too high and cannot achieve them, you get pissed and your workout derail from there. At least mine did.

So, moving forward, I'm gonna try with 15gr of carb/kg LBM next carb-up, and change some of the intensity on some workouts.

danny2905

Awards
C1D7 - 73.4kg (⬇ 0.5kg - ⬇0.9kg from D1)

2000cal/90C/135P/115F

Got a few hunger pangs throughout the day mostly because it is my off day today and when you have nothing to do you tend to think a lot about food 😂 D7 is the only day of the week that I can go high on fat which I love. Had some salmon + black rice for lunch then some steaks + veggies + egg for dinner.

Will do pictures comparison tomorrow. But from what I see in the mirror 1 week on UD gives me the result of a month of normal dieting. And I will make sure to keep these thoughts in mind when I suffer during the depletion workout tmr 😂

Attachments

danny2905

Awards
C2D1 - 72.4kg (⬇1kg - ⬇1.9kg from D1)

Measurement: 82.9cm (⬇2.7cm from 85.6cm)

Thoughts after 1st week: I didn't expect this much from just one week, especially the measurement around my belly button (my largest concern). Not sure if the decrease is solely because of the Yohimbine, but something is working, so I'm gonna keep the fasted cardio + Yohimbine combo in the morning everyday, except for D5 and D6. Energy level was fine on most days. I actually felt better on UD than I was before.. The diet part is easy, once you have a plan it's pretty easy to follow. The hard part definitely the depletion workouts, but that's only two days out of seven, and the results speak for itself, so nothing to complain about.

Workout today is still horrible, but since I came prepared mentally, it wasn't that bad.

Attachments

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nice work. This plan is definitely challenging, but if you can stick with it for a good 4-6 weeks the results should compound quite well.

danny2905

Awards
C2D2 - 72.3kg (⬇ 0.1kg - ⬇ 2kg from D1)

I feel like I have the worst sleep following depletion workouts. Yesterday I went to bed at 10:30PM and just lay there restlessly. Couldn't fall asleep until 2AM and only got like 5-5.5 hours of sleep. It happened last week too. I was so tired I had to take an hour nap before going to the gym. And today while working out I got the most intense headache, felt like my head was gonna explode while I was pushing for those last reps. The headache was most intense during leg press. Anyone has any idea what might be the cause?

Foam rolling after the depletion workout helps tremendously. My legs were on fire but after I foam rolled I felt great. Fingers crossed I got a good sleep tonight. Should I take some Zanax?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I wouldn't take anything (esp something as strong as xanax) unless you absolutely need it. Xanax is not technically for sleep anyways and that (IMO) would be a gross overuse for it. If you have to take somehting, I's opt for much more natural like simple melatonin or l-dopa.

The headache is prob just from being depleted... make sure you're hydrating plenty too as I know it's easy to drink less when you;re also eating less

danny2905

Awards
I wouldn't take anything (esp something as strong as xanax) unless you absolutely need it. Xanax is not technically for sleep anyways and that (IMO) would be a gross overuse for it. If you have to take somehting, I's opt for much more natural like simple melatonin or l-dopa.

The headache is prob just from being depleted... make sure you're hydrating plenty too as I know it's easy to drink less when you;re also eating less
Thanks man. Just found out melatonin is illegal in Taiwan and to get xanax Id need a prescription so I guess I will just have to endure it for a few more weeks.

danny2905

Awards
C2D3 - 72.2kg (⬇ 0.1kg - ⬇ 2.1kg from D1)

So the weight loss have slowed down quite a bit. I forgot how others' weight loss went from their logs :unsure: Visual change > scale weight for me, just not sure if weight loss is expected weekly (no matter how small) and whether I should decrease calories once it stalls. But I don't think Lyle says anything about adjusting calorie intake during the course of the diet tho.

D3 is boring. You just need to find things to do to keep you occupied. This is my main meal for D1-3. Mustard and brown sugar baked pork tenderloin. Basically the same macros as chicken breast per 100gr (slightly lower P, but that means I get to eat more). It looks kinda messy but tastes superb. Moist and tender and juicy even after 2 days in the fridge (I cook in bulk). I'd never go back to chicken breast again ;)

Attachments

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks man. Just found out melatonin is illegal in Taiwan and to get xanax Id need a prescription so I guess I will just have to endure it for a few more weeks.
zma or magnesium would be easy to get im sure as well. standard otc minerals

danny2905

Awards
*Midnight thoughts because I'm still wide awake and God forbids I have an 8-hour sleep*

I think I'm gonna start planning out my bulking phase. The plan is to stick with UD for at least 6 weeks. Maybe 8 if I can *fingers crossed*, then eat at maintenance for 2 weeks then start the bulk. Now I have the maintenance planned out already (based on Lyle's recommendations in his Rapid Fat Loss Handbook). The bulking phase is what scares me because this is where I fucked up so many times in the past.

I believe there is a science-backed program out there that can deliver good results like UD2, one that have the diet and training built together to support each other. Before I would just follow the "eat more, train harder, gain 0.5kg/week" guide but then my diet was **** and my training consisted of exercises I randomly put together and that led me nowhere. My goal is hypertrophy with focus on bringing up lagging body parts (mainly chest and back). So if anyone know of any book that fit my needs that can help me set up a bulking program (diet + training) please let me know.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you like more science based approach then this is about as good as it gets: Muscle and Strength Pyramids or RP Books and RP Templates

They both are somewhat similar. The templates from RP are options if you don't want to piece stuff together yourself but don't want to spend to fully hire a coach, where as the either book option can help you just make stuff on your own.

danny2905

Awards
If you like more science based approach then this is about as good as it gets: Muscle and Strength Pyramids or RP Books and RP Templates

They both are somewhat similar. The templates from RP are options if you don't want to piece stuff together yourself but don't want to spend to fully hire a coach, where as the either book option can help you just make stuff on your own.
Thanks. I actually got the M&S Pyramids combo back when I started my cut early this year. Might need to read through the Training Book again because I skimmed through most of it back then. It was his Nutrition Book that got me through the first phase of my diet. The RP Templetes look promising but kinda pricey.

danny2905

Awards
I'm back to update. Been a bit lazy.

C2D4 - forgot to weigh myself

C2D5 - 72.6kg (⬆ 0.4kg - ⬇ 1.7kg from D1)

Had the best sleep last night after a high-carb dinner. The spike in scale weight this morning wasn't as drastic as I had thought. Went through the day just as last week, took an hour nap in the afternoon cause all these carbs got me drowsy (I also skipped caffein today per his recommendation). Also because last week power workout wasn't as good, I decided that this week I would up my carb to 16gr/lb, which total 990gr (last week was around 13gr/lb). No problem hitting the number at all 😂 Actually I might have gone a bit over since I substitute my last pasta meal with 1 pack of instant noodles and one small pastry from 7/11. Took 2x Orlistat to keep the fat down, or so I hope. Wish I was complaining about having too much carbs like everybody else :censored:

danny2905

Awards
C2D6 - 73.6kg (⬆ 1kg - ⬇ 0.8kg from D1)

Power workout went well. PRs on all lifts except for Squat and Incline Bench. The increase in carb helps tremendously. However I still got the intense headache today, right after the first working set of squat (also the reason why I didn't push for PR). I knew I could push a lot more but this headache held me back. Could it be exertion headache? Next time I might take an ibuprofen before my wo and see if it helps. So frustrating.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
C2D6 - 73.6kg (⬆ 1kg - ⬇ 0.8kg from D1)

Power workout went well. PRs on all lifts except for Squat and Incline Bench. The increase in carb helps tremendously. However I still got the intense headache today, right after the first working set of squat (also the reason why I didn't push for PR). I knew I could push a lot more but this headache held me back. Could it be exertion headache? Next time I might take an ibuprofen before my wo and see if it helps. So frustrating.
Have you checked your BP? Like right pre/post workout? That and hydration (which may very well be an issue with the heavy carb ups utilizing more of your water to pull into the muscles) are the most common reasons for headaches in the gym (unless you're doing headstands haha)

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Have you checked your BP? Like right pre/post workout? That and hydration (which may very well be an issue with the heavy carb ups utilizing more of your water to pull into the muscles) are the most common reasons for headaches in the gym (unless you're doing headstands haha)
Agreed on this. I use to get headaches a lot (ecspecially if supplementing creatine) and it was due to de hydration. So making sure you're well hydrated prior to workout is key.

danny2905

Awards
No I didn't check but I can tell my bp was really high, and the headache was in rhythm with my heart beat if you know what I mean. I drank a lot during the day (around 3L) and also sip on water from time to time in the gym too, so I'm not sure if it's hydration issue.

danny2905

Awards
Agreed on this. I use to get headaches a lot (ecspecially if supplementing creatine) and it was due to de hydration. So making sure you're well hydrated prior to workout is key.
I did look up creatine headache. However I only use creatine on carb-up day as Lyle suggests, even though I suspect 20gr/day can be a bit much. Still get headaches on other days as well.

danny2905

Awards
C3D1 - 72.2kg (⬇ 2.1kg from D1)
Measurement: 82.3cm (⬇ 0.6cm from W2)

Getting leaner day by day. Love it. Comparison pic attached below. Not sure if you can tell from the pic but my chest + 4 packs are more defined.

As regard to my headache, I'm pretty sure it falls into the category of exertion headache. The headache from last power workout (Sunday night) was so bad that I only had 1 hour of sleep that night and it didn't go away until I got a chance to pop an ibuprofen the next day. I'm pretty sure my bp was really high when it happened so here are a few things I'm doing differently this week:

- Do leg extension instead of leg press (Leg press was the trigger and headache was worst during this exercise)
- Change my breathing (so I read that during high reps one shouldn't do valsalva maneuver, and I tend to do exactly that during leg press especially during the last few reps. Got a big breath in and boom my head wanted to explode. So now I don't hold my breath anymore lol)
- Cut down on yohimbine (my dosage is 5 pills, I've worked up to 7 with no side effects but at this point I just want to be safe)
- Cut down on caffein (I'm a heavy drinker and would sip on black coffee all day and right before working out. Now I will only sip on it during fasted cardio)
- No more C4.
- 200mg Ibuprofen 30 mins before gym

So day 1 of implementing all of the above, I got through the workout with very light headache (from the leg curl). Might go off the ibuprofen tmr. The workout today wasn't as exhausted as when I did leg press. Quads still burned, but leg press was much more demanding and taxing on the body. Should I add one more leg isolation exercise into the mix? I'm worried leg extension isn't doing as good of a job as leg press in depleting muscle glycogen.

Attachments

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
No I didn't check but I can tell my bp was really high, and the headache was in rhythm with my heart beat if you know what I mean. I drank a lot during the day (around 3L) and also sip on water from time to time in the gym too, so I'm not sure if it's hydration issue.
when you eat a ton of carbs though, your body uses FAR more water to push those into muscles to replenish glycogen (I forget the exact numbers but its something like 1 gram of glycogen is linked with ~3 grams of water...) So whatever you normally drink, you typically have to add a significant amount to meet the added need for the carbs alone (this is why most times you wake up looking bone dry/rock hard after a heavy carb up)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
C3D1 - 72.2kg (⬇ 2.1kg from D1)
Measurement: 82.3cm (⬇ 0.6cm from W2)

Getting leaner day by day. Love it. Comparison pic attached below. Not sure if you can tell from the pic but my chest + 4 packs are more defined.

As regard to my headache, I'm pretty sure it falls into the category of exertion headache. The headache from last power workout (Sunday night) was so bad that I only had 1 hour of sleep that night and it didn't go away until I got a chance to pop an ibuprofen the next day. I'm pretty sure my bp was really high when it happened so here are a few things I'm doing differently this week:

- Do leg extension instead of leg press (Leg press was the trigger and headache was worst during this exercise)
- Change my breathing (so I read that during high reps one shouldn't do valsalva maneuver, and I tend to do exactly that during leg press especially during the last few reps. Got a big breath in and boom my head wanted to explode. So now I don't hold my breath anymore lol)
- Cut down on yohimbine (my dosage is 5 pills, I've worked up to 7 with no side effects but at this point I just want to be safe)
- Cut down on caffein (I'm a heavy drinker and would sip on black coffee all day and right before working out. Now I will only sip on it during fasted cardio)
- No more C4.
- 200mg Ibuprofen 30 mins before gym

So day 1 of implementing all of the above, I got through the workout with very light headache (from the leg curl). Might go off the ibuprofen tmr. The workout today wasn't as exhausted as when I did leg press. Quads still burned, but leg press was much more demanding and taxing on the body. Should I add one more leg isolation exercise into the mix? I'm worried leg extension isn't doing as good of a job as leg press in depleting muscle glycogen.
Leg extensions are nowhere near as good for depletion overall as leg presses. Presses will use far more muscles vs extensions which are almost strictly quad focused.

Also, ibuprofen is an anti inflammatory, and not good to take around a workout as it will a) negatively impact the muscle damage and rrebuild process as inflammation is one of the key triggers to build and b) will blunt any pain/issues that an exercise being performed incorrectly can have, causing further problems later.

You need to focus on the hydration and BP factors and truly rule those out. I'd be willing to bet that if you add another 30-40oz of water and maybe some electrolytes (just salt even) you'll feel much better unless you just have a true BP issue (do get yours tested randomly to make sure its not high all the time)

All that said, your progress is clearly notable in those pics! keep it up!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You need to focus on the hydration and BP factors and truly rule those out. I'd be willing to bet that if you add another 30-40oz of water and maybe some electrolytes (just salt even) you'll feel much better unless you just have a true BP issue (do get yours tested randomly to make sure its not high all the time)
Agreed. I'd recommend trying this and see if it helps. If it doesn't i'd say you can be confident that the headaches are BP related.

danny2905

Awards
C3D1 - 72.5kg (up 0.3kg from yesterday :unsure:)

So I tried @booneman77 suggestions today. Drank a lot of water during the day (my pee is clear like water 😂), no ibuprofen before w/o, BCAAs + some salt in my drink, and did leg press again. The headache is still there but much more manageable. I could get through the workout without much pain so I hope I'm heading in the right direction. Will keep in mind to drink lots of water when the carb-up comes.

Somehow I feel like the workout is getting ... easier. I keep everything the same (weight, intensity, rest). It's still hard to get through the last reps, still feel the burn, but my body isn't as exhausted as the first two weeks. Or can it be that I get distracted by the headache? 😂

Anw, thanks guys for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
C3D1 - 72.5kg (up 0.3kg from yesterday :unsure:)

So I tried @booneman77 suggestions today. Drank a lot of water during the day (my pee is clear like water 😂), no ibuprofen before w/o, BCAAs + some salt in my drink, and did leg press again. The headache is still there but much more manageable. I could get through the workout without much pain so I hope I'm heading in the right direction. Will keep in mind to drink lots of water when the carb-up comes.

Somehow I feel like the workout is getting ... easier. I keep everything the same (weight, intensity, rest). It's still hard to get through the last reps, still feel the burn, but my body isn't as exhausted as the first two weeks. Or can it be that I get distracted by the headache? 😂

Anw, thanks guys for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.
its called adaptation! you're getting stronger so the same stimulus is truly easier!

danny2905

Awards
its called adaptation! you're getting stronger so the same stimulus is truly easier!
So, should I increase the weight? Somehow I think I have to be miserable on UD2 for it to work 😂

danny2905

Awards
C3D3 - 72.5kg

This week has been much easier than the first two weeks. I sleep better. Energy level is good, and I don't feel hungry at all. This time last week I thought about food all day long. That said, I have not lost any weight this week so far. If by next week my measurement doesn't change then I think I will decrease my carb across all days.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
So, should I increase the weight? Somehow I think I have to be miserable on UD2 for it to work 😂
What does his guide tell you? Typically, if somethign becomes "easy" it will not provide enough stimulus for growth, only maintenance

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
C3D3 - 72.5kg

This week has been much easier than the first two weeks. I sleep better. Energy level is good, and I don't feel hungry at all. This time last week I thought about food all day long. That said, I have not lost any weight this week so far. If by next week my measurement doesn't change then I think I will decrease my carb across all days.
don't mess with the plan just because you didn't lose weight one week... weight loss is NEVER linear and you will have ups, downs and stagnation all the time. some weeks you lose a bunch week to week, others it may take 3 weeks of nothing and then a "whoosh" of 5lb or something.

Don't mess with the scientifically backed plan or you're not actually following it at all ha.

danny2905

Awards
What does his guide tell you? Typically, if somethign becomes "easy" it will not provide enough stimulus for growth, only maintenance
His guide doesn't say anything about modifying the diet/training as you progress. So I'm not sure how I should move forward with the training.

danny2905

Awards
C3D4 - 72.2kg

Full of energy today. I did an extra set for every exercises today, that's how much energy I had. I even added weight on some.
First high-carb meal was wonderful. I don't crave carb, until I get to eat a lot of it. I wasn't even thinking much about the carb-up earlier today, but once I got to dig in a bowl of rice I started thinking about all the rice and low-fat ice-cream I get to eat tomorrow lol. Doing an all-rice carb-up to see how my body respond to rice vs pasta.

Also, carb-up means good sleep. :sleep:

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
His guide doesn't say anything about modifying the diet/training as you progress. So I'm not sure how I should move forward with the training.
100% would NOT modify the diet at all, and not the exercises, but adding weight to keep the intensity the same or greater should be a natural progression that would not take away from the program or design. Just make sure you stay within the prescribed rep/intensity ranges and you will be good to go.

same goes for the total volume (number of sets, etc)... don't mess with those. If you're feeling more energized, add more weight. Knowing lyle and his thoughts on intensity, he would tell you that if you are still feeling energized after doing the prescribed work, you did not do it with the proper intensity and therefore need to add weight or stop cheating ha

danny2905

Awards
100% would NOT modify the diet at all, and not the exercises, but adding weight to keep the intensity the same or greater should be a natural progression that would not take away from the program or design. Just make sure you stay within the prescribed rep/intensity ranges and you will be good to go.

same goes for the total volume (number of sets, etc)... don't mess with those. If you're feeling more energized, add more weight. Knowing lyle and his thoughts on intensity, he would tell you that if you are still feeling energized after doing the prescribed work, you did not do it with the proper intensity and therefore need to add weight or stop cheating ha
Thanks for the input. I will keep reps/sets the same and just add weight when it feels easy. (y)