Looking for direction 2018

Dank0078

Awards
  • Established
Hi guys, I'm looking to use most of 2018 as a lean bulk kinda year and build some decent muscle. I just spent the last 10 months and dropped 15kgs from 105kg. Though my body fat % is still over 10%.

So just wondering what kind of training plan should I look into that will help me build muscle and strength - diet I've always been great with so thats 3/4 of the battle done.

I've read around the forums and see suggestions like 5/3/1, DoggCrapp but when I search them online I can only ever find sites that are back in 2004 - so do these programs still provide what one would need or are there no more advanced techniques?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I personally like layne norton’s Phat program.....

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DC Training is one of the best routines to date. It is for the more experienced lifter and actually requires a bit of studying on the program before starting. It is def something to consider but I suggest reading up on it and really understanding it before jumping into it. T Nation has good articles on it. If you decide to do it, follow it 100% or don’t do it at all.

I like to rotate through many routines while keeping basic principles in all of my routines. Heavier compound lifts will be found in all of my routines. What changes are the days I train, the muscle groupings, drop/super sets and rep ranges.

Dank0078

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your reply - I think Ive read the article from T-Nation - is that the one published back in 2009??

I like the sound of it - but the Rest Pause idea kind of confusing me. The way I've read is finding a weight that I can hit no more than 10 reps on - rest pause with those deep breathing, go at it again - rest pause breathing - repeat til I hit the advised rep. Is that right?

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
PHAT is a good program. I have been on it for little over a month now. Check it out.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
I checked out DC, and loved the idea, but wasn't a fan of the 3day split, is there anyway to get us up as a 4-5 day split?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I checked out DC, and loved the idea, but wasn't a fan of the 3day split, is there anyway to get us up as a 4-5 day split?
Many people use some DC methods in a different split like RP, static holds...etc. can be very useful.

Dukethumper

Awards
  • Established
Many people use some DC methods in a different split like RP, static holds...etc. can be very useful.
Ya, I will most likely do PHAT with DC principles, unless there are any better splits? May eventually buy a John Meadows regime Suge as Sentinel or Creeping Death and add DC principles.

AdelV

AdelV

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Could someone PM me a link for DC?

I'm getting too busy for a 4 day spilt these days, I'm looking for a 3 day to mix it up.

PHAT I like, especially on weeks I have more time. I'm at a point where I'll switch every week or few weeks to keep it interesting.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
another vote for PHAT... best combo of power and size I've ever tried