Lifting veterans please help, what is the consensus nowadays on how much protein I truly need to continuously gain muscle?

john10960

Awards
What is the official consensus nowadays?

Thanks!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’m usually at 1g per pound

Power-Lift

Power-Lift

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I’m usually at 1g per pound
That's a good/safe number... No need to over-do the Protein, though its important to get enough of course.
So that formula always works.

Protein sellers will push the "more is better" thing like they have for ages.
Only to be pissed away and putting the kidneys to more work... (Some more isnt bad (1.5 grams to 2 grams a pound) but that (2 grams) would be high-end / a lot in IMO).

Only difference Ive seen when going from 200 grams a day to 300, was darker piss...

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Just to add to the choir, 1 gram per pound is very close to what is recommended, and a good short hand. There is some evidence that more protein is needed when dieting/cutting to minimize loss of muscle vs fat though.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
.8g per pound is what I shoot for as a minimum unless someone is pretty overweight (then maybe go closer to numbers based on LBM).

1g is an easy to remember number though and works quite well.

More is fine if you enjoy it maybe if actively aiming for weight loss and/or need better satiety.

john10960

Awards
Thanks everyone!

So I’ve read 0.5-0.8

I was getting better results with 1g/lb so I’ll keep shooting for that.

My question, im basically bulking right now, not giving a **** about my weight, I’ve most definitely gained significant muscle mass but I’ve also gained significant excess weight.

My ideal weight would prolly be 185. Im 5’10 , 210 right now.

Should I really be shooting for 210 g/day?

Seems like a lot. Or should like a solid 190 be ok?