Lifting Belt

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific lifting or particular band? Or, any specific ones to stay away from? Or does it not matter much? It's time I give this a shot. My DL and squat could use a little boost.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I wanted an Inzer lever style but my buddy sold me his inzer buckle for like $40 when he bought the lever, so I've used that ever since. As it turned out, he ended up not liking the lever as much and said he couldn't get it as tight. I prefer single buckle over double buckle because it's easier to get out of and feels better on my stomach. the double buckle always poked me different for some reason.

whatever you get, once you have it stretched and broken in, will last until you out grow it lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Subbed! I use a cheap generic one for most of my lifting because I got some kind of lower back issue but I'm looking into getting a good one. I'm dieing to move some heavy weight again

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Subbed! I use a cheap generic one for most of my lifting because I got some kind of lower back issue but I'm looking into getting a good one. I'm dieing to move some heavy weight again
I used some valeo velcro belts when I was oly lifting to keep the buckle from getting in the way when snatching or cleaning but once the velcro gives you lose all faith in it. moving to a legit belt was the best move I ever made, I dont' even think about anything other than "oh ****, I'm on hole 2 and I used to be on hole 4" anymore 😅

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Does anyone have a recommendation for a specific lifting or particular band? Or, any specific ones to stay away from? Or does it not matter much? It's time I give this a shot. My DL and squat could use a little boost.
Do you want more of like a stiff powerlifting style belt?

I'd probably go with Inzer, they have been around for awhile and aren't really that expensive (and belts should last forever). I have a Best Belt, which is basically the same and it is so old.

If you want to save a little you could maybe look at the lifting large competition belts (they are around $50). I'd check reviews because I haven't been super in on the belt scene lately.

You should really work on fixing your back first, a belt isn't going to solve a back issue. I'd hate to see you get more hurt just because of some false security with a belt.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

I'd probably go with Inzer, they have been around for awhile and aren't really that expensive (and belts should last forever). I have a Best Belt, which is basically the same and it is so old.

If you want to save a little you could maybe look at the lifting large competition belts (they are around $50). I'd check reviews because I haven't been super in on the belt scene lately.

You should really work on fixing your back first, a belt isn't going to solve a back issue. I'd hate to see you get more hurt just because of some false security with a belt.
The back injury was a slipped disc about 18 years ago, it just kinda is what it is. I been training around it (with occasional setbacks) for a while.

Yes a stiff sturdy PL type belt for my squats and deads, IL keep the cheap flexible one I got for me regular stuff.

Basically I do most pull workouts with a belt, I squat with a belt over 225 and I use a belt on pressing when I'm within my 3-5 rep max.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I don't know enough to know what I want, other then most likely 2 prong. Otherwise, I don't know the difference. But I just looked at the Inzer link above and it was $129! That's a bit much.

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I don’t use a belt. Can u hear the time bomb ticking? I also don’t do abs or erectors but……

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Aside from the question, I'm noticing something...

All the threads these days are pretty much @Dustin07, @Smont, @Resolve10, and @MrKleen73...@MrKleen73 where you at? Lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t use a belt. Can u hear the time bomb ticking? I also don’t do abs or erectors but……

Lol I don't use a belt, or do abs or erectors either, except deadlifts and standing overhead press lol

PolishHamm3r77

PolishHamm3r77

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
U made my point for me. I use to use a belt 95-99. No belt from 2002 onward. I did dead’s for the first time since 2015 Monday. Hit 275 for 5. And God Damn that felt good!!!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
U made my point for me. I use to use a belt 95-99. No belt from 2002 onward. I did dead’s for the first time since 2015 Monday. Hit 275 for 5. And God Damn that felt good!!!
Well,I meant to say it's time I start, and start doing at least planks

Nice lift!

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a titan belt from like 10 years ago that still works great. I would go with inzer based on overall longevity and feedback in the market over the years. I dont know who is really still in the game besides inzer and titan, both are good to go. I prefer a single prone belt myself, that is what I have, I have been able to use the same best weighing as high as 230 and as low as 185.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If using for powerlifting like squat and pull, I would go with a 10mm or 13mm belt. 13mm is pretty dense, so a 10mm is preferred by most lifters. I have a 13mm myself.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't know enough to know what I want, other then most likely 2 prong. Otherwise, I don't know the difference. But I just looked at the Inzer link above and it was $129! That's a bit much.
Ya I prefer my single prong, but I honestly use a Velcro weightlifting belt a ton too.

I don’t remember how much I originally paid for my belt (so idk if the prices have gone up), but ya it isn’t super cheap. Hopefully almost only a one time purchase though.

You might be able to search around though, most belts aren’t drastically different if they use the right materials.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
any possibility there are extras at the gym that you can try on to see what you like or don't like?
$129 sounds like a lot, but I got mine around 2017 or 2018. So you can figure if I had paid full price, that's $20/year so far and dropping every day.

figure out your size and there are a few on eBay for like $30-40

oops you said double prong, well there are some on eBay with a double as well, although not as good in price.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ohh
I have a titan belt from like 10 years ago that still works great. I would go with inzer based on overall longevity and feedback in the market over the years. I dont know who is really still in the game besides inzer and titan, both are good to go. I prefer a single prone belt myself, that is what I have, I have been able to use the same best weighing as high as 230 and as low as 185.
I forgot Titan. I just scanned the IPF approved list to see what brands are still even around and doesn’t look like much has changed.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I don't know anything about the brand but if you are just looking for support and something to create internal pressure from I would imagine this would do the trick.

Not a 10mm but a decent looking 7mm leather double pronged belt for $59. If not powerlifting competitively I would think it would suffice and also be a lot more comfortable and easier to break in.

Gym Reapers also has some lower priced leather 2 pronged belts.

I wouldn't overspend for what you need just to have a big name belt. I would imagine either of these belts would do the trick. You are the one creating the internal pressure by pressing your abs into the belt so for general lifting support something like this makes sense IMHO.

akboom87

akboom87

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not sure what sports stores you might have around you. It’s a scheels here but they have a whole rack of belts and you can try them on and see how they fit etc.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya you got me going down the rabbit hole now because I've been meaning to look at belts (although I was looking more for velcro one since mine is getting a bit run down) and knee sleeves again.

Lifting Large on Ebay
That is the official lifting large store on Ebay you can check their listings for other options if 10mm or single prong isn't what you want to go with.

I wouldn't overthink it as hard as I am though (personal problem), you may even be fine with just a velcro belt if you'd just like to dip your toes into using a belt and not deal with how uncomfortable some of the thicker ones can be.

Just food for thought.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
How do you all feel about Schick. It's more comfortable on my sides so I've been recently using it more

Edit schiek belts.

Last edited:
Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stoic Belt ! Highly recommended. I was not a belt guy before buying this. (I’ve tried a few and didn’t like ‘em)

It has held up for the last 3 years extremely well! ( I see the price has gone up slightly) This is also approved by IPF/USAPL/USPS

IMG_6943.JPG

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya you got me going down the rabbit hole now because I've been meaning to look at belts (although I was looking more for velcro one since mine is getting a bit run down) and knee sleeves again.

Lifting Large on Ebay
That is the official lifting large store on Ebay you can check their listings for other options if 10mm or single prong isn't what you want to go with.

I wouldn't overthink it as hard as I am though (personal problem), you may even be fine with just a velcro belt if you'd just like to dip your toes into using a belt and not deal with how uncomfortable some of the thicker ones can be.

Just food for thought.
Just ordered the 2 prong lifting large belt. Thanks.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pretty sure I’m going to blame you for me buying a new belt though. Making a choice on a Velcro belt soon for when I want to start using one again (my thick belt is still going strong..).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pretty sure I’m going to blame you for me buying a new belt though. Making a choice on a Velcro belt soon for when I want to start using one again (my thick belt is still going strong..).
I am actually thinking about a good locking velcro belt as well. With my current lifting I definitely don't need a thick stiff belt, but I wouldn't mind having one that just gives some support and offers warmth to warm up faster. Similar with my knee sleeves. Right now the Inzer ones i have are definitely overkill for my current lifting but some decent neoprenes to keep me warm and lubed up would be great. Let me know which belt you go with. I assume you are looking for one that "locks" the velcro as well so it doesn't pop loose under high pressure.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am actually thinking about a good locking velcro belt as well. With my current lifting I definitely don't need a thick stiff belt, but I wouldn't mind having one that just gives some support and offers warmth to warm up faster. Similar with my knee sleeves. Right now the Inzer ones i have are definitely overkill for my current lifting but some decent neoprenes to keep me warm and lubed up would be great. Let me know which belt you go with. I assume you are looking for one that "locks" the velcro as well so it doesn't pop loose under high pressure.
Ya I am blanking on what my current one is, but maybe grabbing a Gym Reaper one.

Looking for knee sleeves possibly too for same kind of concept, it is getting cold again and anything to help keep me warmed up would be nice. I started looking, but got overwhelmed because it all just seems like people trying to not use knee wraps, yet also wanting to get benefit from their knee sleeves (and not caring if it feels like they are going to die as long as it adds some pounds to their squats :p).

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya I am blanking on what my current one is, but maybe grabbing a Gym Reaper one.

Looking for knee sleeves possibly too for same kind of concept, it is getting cold again and anything to help keep me warmed up would be nice. I started looking, but got overwhelmed because it all just seems like people trying to not use knee wraps, yet also wanting to get benefit from their knee sleeves (and not caring if it feels like they are going to die as long as it adds some pounds to their squats :p).
Yeah, I was eyeballing the Gym Reaper ones. I assume they are not as bound up for performance. I am not looking for spring just support and warm joints.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pioneer is the best belt hands down period. Either get the PAL2.0 adjustable lever (amazing) or if you like a pin belt, get the pioneer cut which has two sets of offset holes and floating pin so you can go up or down incrementally.

Their quality is unmatched, and their customizations are endless.

The only other belt I would even remotely consider is the SBD adjustable lever belt. But for that price you could get a custom pioneer bet and their adjustable lever is superior to SBD's.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pioneer is the best belt hands down period. Either get the PAL2.0 adjustable lever (amazing) or if you like a pin belt, get the pioneer cut which has two sets of offset holes and gloating pin so you can go up or down incrementally.

Their quality is unmatched, and their customizations are endless.

The only other belt I would even remotely consider is the SBD adjustable lever belt. But for that price you could get a custom pioneer bet and their adjustable lever is superior to SBD's.
Oh those are pretty sweet. (y)

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The back injury was a slipped disc about 18 years ago, it just kinda is what it is. I been training around it (with occasional setbacks) for a while.

Yes a stiff sturdy PL type belt for my squats and deads, IL keep the cheap flexible one I got for me regular stuff.

Basically I do most pull workouts with a belt, I squat with a belt over 225 and I use a belt on pressing when I'm within my 3-5 rep max.
I bought a Rogue 13mm single buckle a few years ago. I use it for squats and deadlifts with no issues. It’s a great belt but expensive.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I bought a Rogue 13mm single buckle a few years ago. I use it for squats and deadlifts with no issues. It’s a great belt but expensive.
I was looking at the rogue belts last night and I'm probably going with one of those

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pioneer, SBD, Cerberus, Inzer, Titan are going to be some of your flagship, premium belts.

You get exactly what you pay for in a belt - buy nice, or buy twice. That can be okay; a lot of people don’t realize what they really need or want so starting with a cheaper one is a good justification to upgrade when you realize you wanted a different color/finish/personalization/animal skin/thickness/buckle style.

I have had a Titan Longhorn 10mm suede leverbelt for over a decade now that has been used routinely, looks & works as good as when it was new, and just as comfy on day 1. Only crappy or cheap belts need to be “broken in”.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just read that you went double prong 🫣

NEVER go double prong. That’s for people who want to forever struggle getting the second prong in or out when you need to set the belt tight. This is how people get trapped in their belts and then need help getting them off when they’re exhausted.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I was looking at the rogue belts last night and I'm probably going with one of those
With the back issues you have I think it will give you the support you’re looking for. I really like mine and that fukker will last forever.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote

Gym Reaper knee Sleeves and wrist wraps are good. I dont often wear a belt but theres a gym reapers belt at my gym that has a nice "lever" buckle situation.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Gym Reaper knee Sleeves and wrist wraps are good. I dont often wear a belt but theres a gym reapers belt at my gym that has a nice "lever" buckle situation. View attachment 237337
Did you feel that belt? There’s some brands I’ve noticed that are making belts with powerlifting dimensions that fold up like a damn joke when you hold the belt. I’m not saying Gym Reaper is like that, but I was not impressed with their sleeves/wraps I’ve seen at all. Did not seem very strong, or built to last.

Inaka Strength is one company who makes terrible belts like this. Looks like a power belt but zero stiffness; you could double the material over and damage it if you tried, almost like it had foam inside it or something.

I have EliteFTS entry level wrist wraps from 12 years ago that I STILL use for heavy lowbar/comp squats. I competed in them again 3 weeks ago. My stepdaughter is now using them 3x a week for her training no issue. All brands are not equal in quality, even if at similar price points.

AwakeningAlpha

AwakeningAlpha

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Did you feel that belt? There’s some brands I’ve noticed that are making belts with powerlifting dimensions that fold up like a damn joke when you hold the belt. I’m not saying Gym Reaper is like that, but I was not impressed with their sleeves/wraps I’ve seen at all. Did not seem very strong, or built to last.

Inaka Strength is one company who makes terrible belts like this. Looks like a power belt but zero stiffness; you could double the material over and damage it if you tried, almost like it had foam inside it or something.

I have EliteFTS entry level wrist wraps from 12 years ago that I STILL use for heavy lowbar/comp squats. I competed in them again 3 weeks ago. My stepdaughter is now using them 3x a week for her training no issue. All brands are not equal in quality, even if at similar price points.
No I think you're right @Hyde . The belt material felt quite solid but I don't have much experience with it. Just liked the 'lever' aspect as it didn't have a buckle that could potentially dig into you. The knee sleeves have served their purpose as well but I've only had them for about 3 months so no sense of longterm durability. For me they were what were available, and you are right about there being higher quality. Seems to me Gym Reapers is not actually a manufacturer but a brand that is put onto stuff already made. Each item could be hit or miss.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No I think you're right @Hyde . The belt material felt quite solid but I don't have much experience with it. Just liked the 'lever' aspect as it didn't have a buckle that could potentially dig into you. The knee sleeves have served their purpose as well but I've only had them for about 3 months so no sense of longterm durability. For me they were what were available, and you are right about there being higher quality. Seems to me Gym Reapers is not actually a manufacturer but a brand that is put onto stuff already made. Each item could be hit or miss.
I’m a big fan of levers. They just save so much time and energy in training. On/off like a light switch; definitely worth the cost of the lever mechanism.

Neoprene knee sleeves, some are better or lower construction quality, but as long as they keep you warm and don’t come apart too fast I think it doesn’t matter much (disregarding the new very expensive competition ones that are trying to add lbs to a squat).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've seen Valeos do that. you put on a 3" belt that ends up offering about 1" of support in the middle as the top and bottom folds around.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Apparently the gym reaper has already infected my gym and I was unaware.
It’s a cool name, and plenty of lifters like skulls. But I feel like they must have more money in marketing than development.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s a cool name, and plenty of lifters like skulls. But I feel like they must have more money in marketing than development.
Ya I definitely got that vibe from the website, not something I’d be willing to risk for an actual leather belt imho.

I just thought it was funny because these are just attachments for doing leg extensions or curls with bands/cables and I don’t think we thought about the brand much, but GR must have enough marketing going on that they were at the top of the search engine.

Also fwiw I dug out my old Velcro belt and it is 2.5” of stiff material with 1.25” “flimsy” on each side. I’ll probably be a bit more specific when I order a new one here soon, I’d really like to use one again soon (my leather belt doesn’t need to be replaced unless I want something for better looks I guess).

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If anyone is interested the Rogue Matte Black November sale has started. Not huge discounts, but some belts are on sale, including some of the pioneer ones mentioned in this thread previously.

reforged

Awards
I used some valeo velcro belts when I was oly lifting to keep the buckle from getting in the way when snatching or cleaning but once the velcro gives you lose all faith in it. moving to a legit belt was the best move I ever made, I dont' even think about anything other than "oh ****, I'm on hole 2 and I used to be on hole 4" anymore 😅
I'm currently looking for a new belt. My last one was also valeo velcro and I know after it failed on me I had a hard time trusting it again. I actually went a few months after with that crap in mind no matter what type belt I used. Lol

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm currently looking for a new belt. My last one was also valeo velcro and I know after it failed on me I had a hard time trusting it again. I actually went a few months after with that crap in mind no matter what type belt I used. Lol
When you say failed what do you mean?

If you mean the velcro, a lot of velcro belts now use the locking system that (Schiek I think?) came up with. Even if the velcro comes undone the belt stays secure.

reforged

Awards
When you say failed what do you mean?

If you mean the velcro, a lot of velcro belts now use the locking system that (Schiek I think?) came up with. Even if the velcro comes undone the belt stays secure.
Ya it was the velcro. Sorry, shoulda mentioned that. Ya man, it was only after maybe 6 months and I only ever did dead and rack pulls with it. I was doing sumo-deads when it happened and I had just started to be able to get 400 up for a 1rep-max. I freaked and kept worrying I was gonna feel something yucky happen in my nether regions. Lol