Lifting after triple bypass heart surgery, gonna show you how its done!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you all for your support. I will be back -just have to figure out how to heal that beaten body properly.

And I was right: Don't trust doctors, ever! (especially in bananaland) Next heart surgery I do myself.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Good to hear from you brother.

We are hear if you need to vent or anything.

Get well soon.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I went back to the pics at the beginning of this thread. His gown says La Costa, and +595 21 217 1717 is the phone number for
the La Costa hospital in Asuncion Paraguay
Would the first name be enough to maybe find out Jeff?
LOL, @SFreed ! Yes, please call them and ask if hernias and damaged nerves are all inclusive -or have to be paid extra.

:)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
All those "good news" curbed my enthusiasm and I'm not in the mood to follow up in here. Will be back in a few weeks after the hernia fix.
But before the next surgery, I go to a rave party next Friday, I earned it. Seriously. I need distraction and fugg my brain up a bit with drugs, will keep dancing to a minimum (mainly head nodding).
Over and out.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad you're still alive!

And I'll leave a link to your favorite music video, so you can enjoy it whenever you're feeling sad

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And I'm leaving the double post. Fak it

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm alive. Sorry for my absence, I'm "detoxing" from internet right now.
Healing got problematic. Had to fight wound infections and terrible pain in my back. Now getting better, after dropping questionable prescription meds and implementing my own regime.
One of the drainage tubes caused me an hernia above my solar plexus, (thank you, "professional" surgeon), and during surgery they apparently damaged nerves of the brachial plexus (either by overstretching my neck for intubation -or when they removed the artery for the graft), causing excruciating pain near my scapula in the back (thank you doctor).

I decided to get the hernia fixed, while I'm still recovering from heart surgery anyways. Hopefully this time they don't fukk up and do more harm.

All those "good news" curbed my enthusiasm and I'm not in the mood to follow up in here. Will be back in a few weeks after the hernia fix.
Hey man, sorry to hear all you are going through. You WILL get through this. Just keep going. We are looking forward to having you back. Your presence is obviously missed.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thank you all for your support. I will be back -just have to figure out how to heal that beaten body properly.

And I was right: Don't trust doctors, ever! (especially in bananaland) Next heart surgery I do myself.
glad to hear you are ok (aside from all the ass ducking by the doctors) HGP.

strong strong and come back soon brother

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Glad to see your getting through this. It is tough, but just think about how good you will feel and look once you go through the entire process. I know you had that bad experience with the surgeon, but listen to the doctors and to your body.

On a side note, if you need someone to talk to in terms of recovery, or just chat, I am hear for you man. I went through a heart transplant just over 7 years ago and the time I had to take off from the gym was the hardest part for me. Believe me, you'll be better than before.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Glad to see your getting through this. It is tough, but just think about how good you will feel and look once you go through the entire process. I know you had that bad experience with the surgeon, but listen to the doctors and to your body.

On a side note, if you need someone to talk to in terms of recovery, or just chat, I am hear for you man. I went through a heart transplant just over 7 years ago and the time I had to take off from the gym was the hardest part for me. Believe me, you'll be better than before.
Heart transplant? That makes a bypass look like an appendicitis! YOU MUST BE THE TOUGHEST GUY ON AM! Thank you for chiming in!
Tell me, did you had/have back pain between the scapulae after surgery? How long did it take for you until the sternum fused sufficiently, before you could start lifting?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Heart transplant? That makes a bypass look like an appendicitis! YOU MUST BE THE TOUGHEST GUY ON AM! Thank you for chiming in!
Tell me, did you had/have back pain between the scapulae after surgery? How long did it take for you until the sternum fused sufficiently, before you could start lifting?
lol - one thing I learned last year when my dad had his stroke. He was in the hospitals and nursing home and barely functioning and I had this distant feeling that I wasn't even really aware of that, "It can't get much worse". Then one day he started throwing up blood, had a stromal tumor in his stomach, got med-flighted to the big city hospital and needed a scope to cauterize the bleeding, then had to be opened up to operate on his stomach later that week. This involved giving the guy, who could barely function already, loads of opioids and messing with his mental function even worse. Add to that the weeks in a bed during a critical recovery period and the setback of just being able to take a step or two to now having to work on standing up all over again.

After that surgery, I realized, it can always get worse. There can always be a set back. All you can do is move forward or curl up in a ball. But even the smallest step forward at least means you are not curling up....it is ok to slow down. It is OK to feel down. It is OK to embrace it. But take just the smallest step forward every day.

Hairygrandpa does not stop. He does not curl up.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good to hear from you. Sucks that you incurred more damage during the surgery, but you will come out a champ on the other side I have no doubt.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But before the next surgery, I go to a rave party next Friday, I earned it. Seriously. I need distraction and fugg my brain up a bit with drugs, will keep dancing to a minimum (mainly head nodding).
Over and out.
Happy to see you mate :)

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol - one thing I learned last year when my dad had his stroke. He was in the hospitals and nursing home and barely functioning and I had this distant feeling that I wasn't even really aware of that, "It can't get much worse". Then one day he started throwing up blood, had a stromal tumor in his stomach, got med-flighted to the big city hospital and needed a scope to cauterize the bleeding, then had to be opened up to operate on his stomach later that week. This involved giving the guy, who could barely function already, loads of opioids and messing with his mental function even worse. Add to that the weeks in a bed during a critical recovery period and the setback of just being able to take a step or two to now having to work on standing up all over again.

After that surgery, I realized, it can always get worse. There can always be a set back. All you can do is move forward or curl up in a ball. But even the smallest step forward at least means you are not curling up....it is ok to slow down. It is OK to feel down. It is OK to embrace it. But take just the smallest step forward every day.

Hairygrandpa does not stop. He does not curl up.
Ever considered to be a motivational speaker? That was awesome!

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And I'm leaving the double post. Fak it
Over and out.
I managed to obtain some footage of HGP's next rave

https://giphy.com/gifs/WjnQ6xK8sw1y0

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ever considered to be a motivational speaker? That was awesome!
Lol, I could talk about all the stuff I have gone through or done wrong and just be like...if you don't do these things you will be alright!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I think a bypass is way worse than a transplant!

I had terrible back pain. I had my neighbor look at me since he is a chiro. I'm assuming you had a lot of IVs hooked up to you. I had so many lines in me for such a long period of time that my posture was terrible. My shoulders were so rounded and hunched forward that I had to do a lot of mobility work to reset my shoulders. If you want, I can link all the exercises I did that helped me. Foam rolling also helped for that.

I went back to the gym, lifting, 8 weeks after surgery. Keep in mind, I was 23, so healing was probably quick because I was younger. I got the clearance from the doctors. But even then, I went super light on everything. Bench, I would only use the bar. Pec deck or flies, only partial range of motion, the top part. Everything else was pretty easy to get back into, but chest scared me, always. I thought for the longest time my chest would split open.

One thing you can do to see how your chest is recovering is by jogging. I tried it five weeks after surgery and it was terrible pain. I thought my chest was going to split open, everything wasn't fused yet. If you cannot jog without pain, you should not be lifting, in my opinion. How often do you get chest x-rays?

Something else to help with fusing, get a pillow, if they did not give you one, and brace it every time you sneeze, poop, or need to bear down for any reason. It is similar to a C-Section in that manner. I brought my little pillow everywhere with me. Even coughing or sneezing can be painful and slow the recovery process.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think a bypass is way worse than a transplant!

I had terrible back pain. I had my neighbor look at me since he is a chiro. I'm assuming you had a lot of IVs hooked up to you. I had so many lines in me for such a long period of time that my posture was terrible. My shoulders were so rounded and hunched forward that I had to do a lot of mobility work to reset my shoulders. If you want, I can link all the exercises I did that helped me. Foam rolling also helped for that.

I went back to the gym, lifting, 8 weeks after surgery. Keep in mind, I was 23, so healing was probably quick because I was younger. I got the clearance from the doctors. But even then, I went super light on everything. Bench, I would only use the bar. Pec deck or flies, only partial range of motion, the top part. Everything else was pretty easy to get back into, but chest scared me, always. I thought for the longest time my chest would split open.

One thing you can do to see how your chest is recovering is by jogging. I tried it five weeks after surgery and it was terrible pain. I thought my chest was going to split open, everything wasn't fused yet. If you cannot jog without pain, you should not be lifting, in my opinion. How often do you get chest x-rays?

Something else to help with fusing, get a pillow, if they did not give you one, and brace it every time you sneeze, poop, or need to bear down for any reason. It is similar to a C-Section in that manner. I brought my little pillow everywhere with me. Even coughing or sneezing can be painful and slow the recovery process.
Great info! Thank you! Gonna work on posture when ready for gym. In the meanwhile my wife does daily trigger point therapy and hammering. It helps -but I'm 100% sure the back pain is nerve related. It radiates from inward the chest out to the scapula. 2 days ago I had ONE, the first pain free day, without meds. Even though I'm in pain today again, I have hope that it goes away in future. Its week 6 for me, ATM no gym, not even light.
Yes sneezing and coughing is horror, have the huggy-pillow too. Jogging is a no-no because the leg scar is still healing after infection.
Had no x-ray since surgery, the doc promised me an MRI -or X-ray to see if chest is fused later on.
When showering and crossing my arms, like right hand to left ear, I feel a crackeling in my sternum that scares the sh1t out of me.

Today I have an appointment with the surgeon again. Will ask him to fix the hernia he caused me, when inserting the drainage tube at my solar plexus. That surgery will delay further my healing and resuming gym.

You were 23, how old are you now? How is overall quality of life? Are the daily meds you take hindering gains? Just curious!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Great info! Thank you! Gonna work on posture when ready for gym. In the meanwhile my wife does daily trigger point therapy and hammering. It helps -but I'm 100% sure the back pain is nerve related. It radiates from inward the chest out to the scapula. 2 days ago I had ONE, the first pain free day, without meds. Even though I'm in pain today again, I have hope that it goes away in future. Its week 6 for me, ATM no gym, not even light.
Yes sneezing and coughing is horror, have the huggy-pillow too. Jogging is a no-no because the leg scar is still healing after infection.
Had no x-ray since surgery, the doc promised me an MRI -or X-ray to see if chest is fused later on.
When showering and crossing my arms, like right hand to left ear, I feel a crackeling in my sternum that scares the sh1t out of me.

Today I have an appointment with the surgeon again. Will ask him to fix the hernia he caused me, when inserting the drainage tube at my solar plexus. That surgery will delay further my healing and resuming gym.

You were 23, how old are you now? How is overall quality of life? Are the daily meds you take hindering gains? Just curious!
Hmmmmmm, photo of huggy-pillow and shower cap?

Too soon?

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I had an issue post pp where I needed a drainage tube. When they pulled it, it was easily the worst pain I have felt in my life.

You'll get some cracking, don't freak out! You'll drive yourself crazy.

I just turned 31 a month ago. This August will be 8 years post op. The medicine has not slowed down gym progress at all! I have had some issues of rejection, but those have been corrected. With the medicine, it is a balancing act that takes a while to figure out. I am able to do everything I was able to do before, so no issues with my day to day life, I just have to remember to take my meds every 12 hours, but it is natural for me to do that now.

I am currently having an issue with potassium and my kidneys. My potassium has been around 5.7-5.9 for a while now. The issue is the main anti rejection medicine I take is the best for the heart, but not good for the kidneys. There are other meds that are better for the kidneys, but not good for the heart.

Are you able to push yourself up with your hands/arms yet when you're sitting or do you have to just use momentum to get up? Any issues sleeping? I am a side sleeping and sleeping was not too comfortable for a while.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've been gone for a week, happy to hear you are back (and alive) time will help you heal...........

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I had an issue post pp where I needed a drainage tube. When they pulled it, it was easily the worst pain I have felt in my life.

I just turned 31 a month ago. This August will be 8 years post op. The medicine has not slowed down gym progress at all! I have had some issues of rejection, but those have been corrected. With the medicine, it is a balancing act that takes a while to figure out. I am able to do everything I was able to do before, so no issues with my day to day life, I just have to remember to take my meds every 12 hours, but it is natural for me to do that now.

I am currently having an issue with potassium and my kidneys. My potassium has been around 5.7-5.9 for a while now. The issue is the main anti rejection medicine I take is the best for the heart, but not good for the kidneys. There are other meds that are better for the kidneys, but not good for the heart.

Are you able to push yourself up with your hands/arms yet when you're sitting or do you have to just use momentum to get up? Any issues sleeping? I am a side sleeping and sleeping was not too comfortable for a while.
Are you using Astragalus? If not, read up on that some. Could be worth discussing with the doc

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Yes, I can use arms a bit to stand up -but try not to. Sleeping only on my back, on sides still uncomfortable (pressure in chest). Good you mentioned it, gonna watch my potassium too, since I switched to potassium chloride as a table salt substitute. I remember vividly when they pulled my 3 drainage tubes, damn. That was no fun at all.

Hearing your story left me in awe about how advanced medicine got "behind my back", lol.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
HGP, that’s nuts you had triple bypass surgery! I won’t go back and read because, we’ll there’s too much but I read the first page lol

Only supplements I take for heart health and have been for the last two years is;

100mcg mk7 (vit k2) if you can take k1+k2 then do so
300mg C0q10

“Vascular calcification is an active process that causes CVD, the largest killer in the world [57]. It is well known that vitamin K2-dependent proteins activate a protective mechanism preventing the development of vascular calcification [58]. Furthermore, vitamin K2, in the form of MK-7, has been proven in numerous trials with healthy and diseased patient cohorts to have a long-term protective effect on the development of calcification [59,60,61,62]. Additionally, several studies have demonstrated an overall reduction in risk of CVD development [63]. Even a regression of arterial stiffening and improvement of vascular elasticity have been observed in healthy population cohorts following supplementation. Interestingly, in a study investigating all vitamin K1 and K2 isoforms, only K2 was effective and beneficial for CVD health and not K1 [64]. Furthermore, the role of K2 in CVD is profound and detailed discussion can be found elsewhere [58,59,65]. At present, there are multiple large clinical studies being performed around the world with vitamin K2 supplementation in a variety of cardiovascular patients, the results of which will add further substance to the role of vitamin K2 in CVD [66].”

Doesn’t mean much (to you, don’t take this as a jab) but I’m praying for you!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
@tyga tyga ,

Will look MK-7 up, looks interesting.
Okay, you have my permission to pray for me, you may sacrifice a goat too. ;)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well then, time to get on some K2... Why are heart doc's not pushing this stuff? Oh yeah... bad for business...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ummmm.... @hairygrandpa - are you taking any blood thinners? If you are, you may want to clear the MK-7 with your doctors.

Not sure I would recommend it for steroid users either...increased platelet activity and all...

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if youre using statins, keep the coq10. If youre on blood thinners like hit4me mentioned, i would ask the dr. However, i think you'd have to stay away from DEEP greens (spinach, kale) because at 1c cooked they have 1g vitamin K (45-60mg k2 *i believe
*) and doses as low as 45 μg had significant influence on anti coagulation.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well then, time to get on some K2... Why are heart doc's not pushing this stuff? Oh yeah... bad for business...
yeah, no insurance kick backs.. no prescription to write... no money.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not on blood thinners. I bought k-2 in powder to put all goodies into one capsule (coq-10, k-2, nac, ala and gynostemma, ). More convenient to take 2 huge 000 capsules x day.
I dropped prescribed statins. Want to see how it levels out with supplementation (gynostemma, fish oil) and proper nutrition.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not on blood thinners. I bought k-2 in powder to put all goodies into one capsule (coq-10, k-2, nac, ala and gynostemma, ). More convenient to take 2 huge 000 capsules x day.
I dropped prescribed statins. Want to see how it levels out with supplementation (gynostemma, fish oil) and proper nutrition.
Now there is something we can talk about what you are doing. What application of proper nutrition do you intend to employ now? Curious what you intend to change.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Now there is something we can talk about what you are doing. What application of proper nutrition do you intend to employ now? Curious what you intend to change.
I changed it a bit, like less protein, since I'm not working out anymore, here some of my guidelines:
I'm still using IF -but now more like 18/6 instead of 20/4
-less red meat, more lentils, beans, fish/chicken
-supplementing fibers with red meat meals
-once a week organ meat (mostly liver)
-less milk products
-bread and bakery kept to minimum
-more fruit and nuts in diet (every day one shake made from 3 fruits + pomegranate extract)
I have trouble getting in greens, I admit. Have my sprouting trays -but that is all I use, eod a fist full of sprouts.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Looks like some great ideas. A lot like what I am doing now but I am downing the greens. I love a good mixed greens salad with peppers and stuff.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like some great ideas. A lot like what I am doing now but I am downing the greens. I love a good mixed greens salad with peppers and stuff.
I guessed that your diet looks similar. We both embrace reason as an absolute.

Now rule 1 is: Variety
Nowadays I'm curbing the consumption of broccoli, as it is loaded with formaldehyde and natural pesticides (plant made) Broccoli also is interfering with iodine uptake. In the past I clearly overdid it with that vegetable.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It was one of my favorites and I do still eat it but nothing like I was. Far less actually.

Since not smoking anymore I have the attention to prep food and not rely on just whatever I can get in. So health has become a much more of a consideration with nutrition over simply focusing on composition factors. I typically do between a 12-16/8-12 hour fast now. I try to eat a little earlier on higher calorie days, IE post lifting. I find my stomach is happier when having the food intake broken up into 3-4 solid sized meals. Plus that allows for a lot more protein synthesis stimulation. Not that important when on gear, it is always being signaled then but when at natty levels it is a much bigger factor in being able to grow.

I am still on a very weak and low dose of statin but I think that since I am paying more attention to nutrition now I will stop. I might keep them around for if I go back on cycle at some point but otherwise like you I want to see what I can do via food and supplements.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For discussion and to expand, a list of my essential supplements.
Focus is on :
-slowing aging
-heart and brain health

-L-carnosine at 800mg/d (look up benefits, at high dose almost outweights ALCAR)
-Resveratrol (sinclair-longevity) 500mg/d
-NMN - Nicotinamide Mononucleotide (sinclair-longevity) 80mg/d
-Gynostemma extract (500mg/d) (look up for benefits, insulin sensitivity + cholesterol lowering)
-pomegranate extract 3g/d (look up potential for reversing plaque build up in arteries and for longevity)
-NAC 1-2 gr/d
-K-2 up to 1mg/d (thank you @tyga tyga )
-coq-10 500mg/d
-fish oil 2gr/d
-ALA 500mg/d
-boron 3mg/d
-zinc 100mg/d
-vit-c 1000-3000mg/d
-vit b complex time released
-Niacin 1gr (with flush) -using on/off cycling up to 3x 1gr/d (triglyceride control)
-epitalon sub-q(once a year 200mg split 10 days) supposed telomerase lengthening

NO ALCAR , would like to, but it apparently isn't recommended for pussies with heart problems.
NO astragalus, the amounts necessary for longevity benefits are ludicrous, Epitalon used instead.

I found these 3 supplements with a time released formula, awesome, especially for "fried brain"-protection during a Rave!:
NAC
ALA
Vit-c
Vit-b

Personally, I use a capsule machine and 000 caps to accommodate most supplements in as few servings possible, besides the time released formulas.

Last edited:
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It was one of my favorites and I do still eat it but nothing like I was. Far less actually.

Since not smoking anymore I have the attention to prep food and not rely on just whatever I can get in. So health has become a much more of a consideration with nutrition over simply focusing on composition factors. I typically do between a 12-16/8-12 hour fast now. I try to eat a little earlier on higher calorie days, IE post lifting. I find my stomach is happier when having the food intake broken up into 3-4 solid sized meals. Plus that allows for a lot more protein synthesis stimulation. Not that important when on gear, it is always being signaled then but when at natty levels it is a much bigger factor in being able to grow.

I am still on a very weak and low dose of statin but I think that since I am paying more attention to nutrition now I will stop. I might keep them around for if I go back on cycle at some point but otherwise like you I want to see what I can do via food and supplements.
Good call on the statins! I highly recommend gynostemma extract. Its cheap in bulk and balances cholesterol awesomely, look up studies. I'm open minded to continue statins -but first I gonna try my best to keep cholesterol values optimal by other means.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here my recipe for a daily self made "ice cream with benefits":
-different fruits (Favorites: pineapple, apple, orange)
-yogurt, Greek yogurt when lifting
-pomegranate extract 3gr
All in a blender, then freeze it. Eat it like an ice cream.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ummmm.... @hairygrandpa - are you taking any blood thinners? If you are, you may want to clear the MK-7 with your doctors.

Not sure I would recommend it for steroid users either...increased platelet activity and all...
I agree you should clear anything you have questions about with medical professionals, but steroid users should absolutely use K2. It’s one of the most important things. The prevention of excessive calcium deposits is imperative to delay atherosclerosis. And in users not pushing drugs it has been shown to reverse artery calcification even. Furthermore, it does not prevent clotting or calcium deposits - it allows flexibility to clot when required while not depositing EXCESSIVE calcium.

Don’t take my word for any of this - it’s interesting to read up on. Just make sure you read recent literature and not other forum posts like this one.

For discussion and to expand, a list of my essential supplements.
Focus is on :
-slowing aging
-heart and brain health

-L-carnosine at 800mg/d (look up benefits, at high dose almost outweights ALCAR)
-Resveratrol (sinclair-longevity) 500mg/d
-NSM (sinclair-longevity) 80mg/d
-Gynostemma extract (500mg/d) (look up for benefits, insulin sensitivity + cholesterol lowering)
-pomegranate extract 3g/d (look up potential for reversing plaque build up in arteries and for longevity)
-NAC 1-2 gr/d
-K-2 up to 1mg/d (thank you @tyga tyga )
-coq-10 500mg/d
-fish oil 2gr/d
-ALA 500mg/d
-boron 3mg/d
-zinc 100mg/d
-vit-c 1000-3000mg/d
-vit b complex time released
-Niacin 1gr (with flush) -using on/off cycling up to 3x 1gr/d (triglyceride control)
-epitalon sub-q(once a year 200mg split 10 days) supposed telomerase lengthening

NO ALCAR , would like to, but it apparently isn't recommended for pussies with heart problems.
NO astragalus, the amounts necessary for longevity benefits are ludicrous, Epitalon used instead.

I found these 3 supplements with a time released formula, awesome, especially for "fried brain"-protection during a Rave!:
NAC
ALA
Vit-c
Vit-b

Personally, I use a capsule machine and 000 caps to accommodate most supplements in as few servings possible, besides the time released formulas.
I take 1,200mg NAC daily, 120mcg K2, 4g Fish Oil, 200mg Coq10, 600mg ALA, 9mg Boron, 30mg Zinc, 600-1,600mg Vit C, & B complex daily, regarding items on that list.

The K2, Zinc, 600mg C, & B vitamins I get from Orange Triad. The rest is added.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree you should clear anything you have questions about with medical professionals, but steroid users should absolutely use K2. It’s one of the most important things. The prevention of excessive calcium deposits is imperative to delay atherosclerosis. And in users not pushing drugs it has been shown to reverse artery calcification even. Furthermore, it does not prevent clotting or calcium deposits - it allows flexibility to clot when required while not depositing EXCESSIVE calcium.

Don’t take my word for any of this - it’s interesting to read up on. Just make sure you read recent literature and not other forum posts like this one.

I take 1,200mg NAC daily, 120mcg K2, 4g Fish Oil, 200mg Coq10, 600mg ALA, 9mg Boron, 30mg Zinc, 600-1,600mg Vit C, & B complex daily, regarding items on that list.

Yes! The K-2 is is a hammer!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not sure if Nicotinamide Mononucleotide is a hype, there is certainly the possibility that it is, if one investigates Sinclair. The studies on Resveratrol shows it as "flimsy" for anti-aging. But hey, all we have is Sinclair, the Elon Musk for aging, so I give that combo a shot.

Last edited:

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Curious, why is ALCAR bad for the heart? I’d think carnitine would have nothing but benefit for the cardiovascular system.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Curious, why is ALCAR bad for the heart? I’d think carnitine would have nothing but benefit for the cardiovascular system.

Thing is, L-carnitine apparently is used by gut microbes who produce TMAO.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110437/

TMAO has a bad rap sheet:

https://www.j-stroke.org/journal/view.php?number=277

Elevated levels of TMAO are maybe related to:
-Stroke
-Diabetes
-atrial fibrillation
-coronary artery disease
-chronic kidney disease
-Alzheimer’s disease

By some studies, Carnitine actually has benefits for the heart -but, apparently it could be bad for arteries and seems to promote atherosclerosis, if elevated TMAO levels promote it.
At least, it is not entirely clear if it promotes atherosclerosis-or not.
Better safe than sorry.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3145

https://www.pharmacist.com/intestinal-microbiota-l-carnitine-and-cardiovascular-risk

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.118.011037

A study with women showed no negative outcome (but I'm no women -yet).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30485835

Last edited:
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Yeah, the "does not prevent clotting" part above is what I am referring to. Of course it doesn't prevent clots - it is a clotting factor in and of itself, it increases clotting.

So yes, it reduces calcium levels in the blood which is good for endothelial health, but it can increase clotting which is bad for heart attacks and strokes. Mix that with elevated platellate levels from steroid use and... whatever. Probably not the end of the world, but not necessarily the best recipe.

And of course that is why you don't want to take it with a blood thinner like warfarin.

Not saying anyone is "wrong" just that the entire thing is a bit more complicated.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thing is, L-carnitine apparently is used by gut microbes who produce TMAO.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110437/

TMAO has a bad rap sheet:

https://www.j-stroke.org/journal/view.php?number=277

Elevated levels of TMAO are maybe related to:
-Stroke
-Diabetes
-atrial fibrillation
-coronary artery disease
-chronic kidney disease
-Alzheimer’s disease

By some studies, Carnitine actually has benefits for the heart -but, apparently it could be bad for arteries and seems to promote atherosclerosis, if elevated TMAO levels promote it.
At least, it is not entirely clear if it promotes atherosclerosis-or not.
Better safe than sorry.
https://www.nature.com/articles/nm.3145

https://www.pharmacist.com/intestinal-microbiota-l-carnitine-and-cardiovascular-risk

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.118.011037

A study with women showed no negative outcome (but I'm no women -yet).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30485835
Inject it baby.

j/k...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Inject it baby.

j/k...
Apparently, killing off the gut bacteria with antibiotics also curbs TMAO production from carnitine. Gonna encapsulate the carnitine with a nice load of broad spectrum antibiotics, that will do!