Lifting after triple bypass heart surgery, gonna show you how its done!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 weeks ago I had a heart attack, right after training. Now recovering from triple bypass heart surgery. I'm 51.
Follow me on my journey. I gonna withstand all obstacles and keep lifting, no matter what.
To keep me from working out, they would need to amputate all my limbs, tongue included.
Pics and logs will follow shortly.

Any company out there, who sells supplements that could be helpful for my condition (heart health, wound healing, mood), I'm willing to log my experience with your product in exchange for a free sample, just PM me. Any help is appreciated.

Just be patient, I'm gathering all my strength right now, also fiddling with economic issues to keep my family afloat. Daily logging will start in a few days.

About one week before the surgery :

2 weeks ago:

Now, exactly two weeks after surgery:

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In and 1st WOW!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just want to go on record here that you are a beast and a damn good man from everything I know of you!

I am excited to follow you on your journey to recovery. As a motivational factor, my step father got himself relatively jacked after his heart attack and quadruple bypass. He went from an out of shape guy to pretty damn well built within 6-8 month of his surgery. You are already jacked and looking nice and lean so I have no doubts that you will get to your goal. Now is the perfect time to work on leanness and getting that svelte 185 beach body you have been talking about. it won't take a lot of building to get there and leaning up is perfect for your situation right now.

You got this!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just want to go on record here that you are a beast and a damn good man from everything I know of you!

I am excited to follow you on your journey to recovery. As a motivational factor, my step father got himself relatively jacked after his heart attack and quadruple bypass. He went from an out of shape guy to pretty damn well built within 6-8 month of his surgery. You are already jacked and looking nice and lean so I have no doubts that you will get to your goal. Now is the perfect time to work on leanness and getting that svelte 185 beach body you have been talking about. it won't take a lot of building to get there and leaning up is perfect for your situation right now.

You got this!

Funny thing about this is my name is actually ^^^

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Honestly - that post hospital photo has you shredded!! Literally and figuratively. That is the leanest I've seen you. You got some solid abs coming in there. Guessing the hospital diet, stress, etc. really got you to lose a little. Finally. :)

You may have lost some fullness, but that will come back. Maybe this is a step in a new direction for you! You will be back and better than ever.

Do you know about CT Fletcher? I'm not an uber fan, but his story is pretty inspiring and he lost all of his siblings and his mother I believe to a genetic heart defect. He's been through multiple heart transplants and still lifts weights that most of us would only dream about.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I’m up in here brother. This is going to be great, and you already look awesome!!
Incredible that your already back at it!
Not really working out yet. But scouting for possible exercises.

I'm observing with lot attention how my body reacts to any movement. Since the chest is split in the middle -and almost any arm involvement makes it move, hindering healing, it will be a real challenge to isolate arm muscles. Having rubber bands ready and gonna start with that, I guess.

Gonna post more about diet and supplements in future, now preparing for doc visit.

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established

I'm observing with lot attention how my body reacts to any movement. Since the chest is split in the middle -and almost any arm involvement makes it move, hindering healing, it will be a real challenge to isolate arm muscles. Having rubber bands ready and gonna start with that, I guess.

Gonna post more about diet and supplements in future, now preparing for doc visit.
Yeah band work is a great place to start. Good luck at the doctor my man. I’m actually heading to the hospital right now to donate.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Honestly - that post hospital photo has you shredded!! Literally and figuratively. That is the leanest I've seen you. You got some solid abs coming in there. Guessing the hospital diet, stress, etc. really got you to lose a little. Finally. :)

You may have lost some fullness, but that will come back. Maybe this is a step in a new direction for you! You will be back and better than ever.

Do you know about CT Fletcher? I'm not an uber fan, but his story is pretty inspiring and he lost all of his siblings and his mother I believe to a genetic heart defect. He's been through multiple heart transplants and still lifts weights that most of us would only dream about.
CT Fletcher? Yes, I know her.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
"It doesn't feel pain or remorse and IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP". You're 100% machine, congrats on getting through that and keeping on keeping on, defo an inspiration!
I bet you all have it in you. My advice:
If life is fugging you in the azz, try to enjoy it. If that isn't an option, give it the finger!

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 weeks ago I had a heart attack, right after training. Now recovering from triple bypass heart surgery. I'm 51.
Follow me on my journey. I gonna withstand all obstacles and keep lifting, no matter what.
To keep me from working out, they would need to amputate all my limbs, tongue included.
Pics and logs will follow shortly.

Any company out there, who sells supplements that could be helpful for my condition (heart health, wound healing, mood), I'm willing to log my experience with your product in exchange for a free sample, just PM me. Any help is appreciated.

Just be patient, I'm gathering all my strength right now, also fiddling with economic issues to keep my family afloat. Daily logging will start in a few days.

About one week before the surgery :
View attachment 186920

2 weeks ago:
View attachment 186923

Now, exactly two weeks after surgery:
View attachment 186921
At least you finally got the abs youve been trying so hard to make pop... All things considered man looking pretty good. Now just get the inside square. Sorry about your pain, I have 3 herniated discs and ive been through periods of not being able to stand for days. I will say this tho, when something like this happens its hard to see the silver lining but it changes the way you see life and the things we take for granted. I'm grateful for every day I cam stand up, walk, run on the treadmill, lift and play with my kids.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Isometric contractions is the first line of resistance training for a lot of post surgical recovery. I would avoid anything with chest obviously. Also just flex, you can flex your biceps and triceps up and down and work the crap out of both of them without so much as moving your pecs. Same with your legs however don't do any of this just yet. You need to keep your blood pressure low while all of your grafts are healing. Do not underestimate the importance of that. We don't need you hemorrhaging.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
leeser of two evils, imo...stroke could have caused serious permanent damage.

at any rate glad you are recovering well and good luck!!!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Right, forgot about throwing a clot... hemorrhage would be better, you can catch that and not lose a lot of function.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Yes. Heart attack is scary. My dad had a stroke last year and I realized from that experience just how petrifying a stroke is. I wouldn't wish a heart attack on anyone, don't get me wrong, but if I had to give my worst enemy a stroke or a heart attack and my best friend whichever I didn't give my enemy - I wouldn't hesitate or even think for a moment. Hands down stroke is one of the most horrible thing ever. And it was shocking how little there is to help. They have TPA and in some few cases may be able to clear out some arteries of clots surgically - but mostly you get an injection of TPA and watch what happens.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. Heart attack is scary. My dad had a stroke last year and I realized from that experience just how petrifying a stroke is. I wouldn't wish a heart attack on anyone, don't get me wrong, but if I had to give my worst enemy a stroke or a heart attack and my best friend whichever I didn't give my enemy - I wouldn't hesitate or even think for a moment. Hands down stroke is one of the most horrible thing ever. And it was shocking how little there is to help. They have TPA and in some few cases may be able to clear out some arteries of clots surgically - but mostly you get an injection of TPA and watch what happens.
Ah, stroke. Next on my list!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ah, stroke. Next on my list!
I hope not my friend.

My dad had a stroke (RIP) and was never fat, never drank or smoked. **** freaks me out!
It was part of the reason I quit smoking and changed my diet years ago. The nurse was a little worried about my blood pressure today
148/80 🙁 but hematocrit was 44 👍
Sorry to hear about your dad. There are always factors we cannot control - all you can do is focus on what you can control.

Honestly, I wish I had put my dad on some agmatine because it has been shown in some rat studies to help minimize damage from ischemic events. Actually, I have pounds of it and never use it myself...hate capping it and too hard to hide in a drink.

ItalOne

ItalOne

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
I hope not my friend.

Sorry to hear about your dad. There are always factors we cannot control - all you can do is focus on what you can control.

Honestly, I wish I had put my dad on some agmatine because it has been shown in some rat studies to help minimize damage from ischemic events. Actually, I have pounds of it and never use it myself...hate capping it and too hard to hide in a drink.
Thanks man, I blame my moms home cooking. To much meat, butter, heavy cream.
Old school cooking! I actually take quite a bit of agmatine sulfate. I have 500mg pills that I take and there a gram in my pre workout. I was just using it for pumps. Good to know the other benefits that you mentioned.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks man, I blame my moms home cooking. To much meat, butter, heavy cream.
Old school cooking! I actually take quite a bit of agmatine sulfate. I have 500mg pills that I take and there a gram in my pre workout. I was just using it for pumps. Good to know the other benefits that you mentioned.
Oh yeah, pumps are just the beginning with agmatine. Evidence it may help with dementia and alzheimers, it lowers stress, reduces pain, is protective against ischemic events, reduces tolerance for a number of drugs...the list is long.

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Holy sheeit youre a tough old man... Can I... Cann I call you "Dad"? 😂😂

Last edited:
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lol did not effect your sense of humor one bit love it!
Humor is the only logical response, once you figured: life is hilariously indifferent to what you would call "fair".

Life = exercise. It just got more difficult. You could call it: "Unintentional progressive overload." LMAO!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not in the mood to go through a surgery like this again, any time soon. Now reading about arteriosclerosis -and what could be done to prevent it.

Most promising I found so far is:
Pomegranate juice extract and SOD (Superoxide Dismutase ) -Gliadin
Fish oil seems beneficial too.

Any recommendations from you guys?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not in the mood to go through a surgery like this again, any time soon. Now reading about arteriosclerosis -and what could be done to prevent it.

Most promising I found so far is:
Pomegranate juice extract and SOD (Superoxide Dismutase ) -Gliadin
Fish oil seems beneficial too.

Any recommendations from you guys?
First off, when would you ever actually be IN the mood for a surgery like this?

I can picture you sitting around, cooking dinner and saying, "Hmmmm, tonight, after dinner and a movie I am kind of in the mood to take care of my clogged arteries. Let's go go that."

Just throwing this out there, but have not done much research in this light, but I would suspect nicotinic acid may actually be a small but real benefit.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First off, when would you ever actually be IN the mood for a surgery like this?

I can picture you sitting around, cooking dinner and saying, "Hmmmm, tonight, after dinner and a movie I am kind of in the mood to take care of my clogged arteries. Let's go go that."

Just throwing this out there, but have not done much research in this light, but I would suspect nicotinic acid may actually be a small but real benefit.
Ah yes! Used in the past to lower my triglycerides from 750 to 113 in about 5 weeks! No joke! Did 1gr twice daily.

A quick search got me that:
Nicotinic acid inhibits the progression of atherosclerosis through its receptor GPR109A.

Awesome tip, gonna use it in short cycles. I actually enjoy the niacin flush!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Like along the lines of this:

You were quicker in hitting the "post" button! :)
Niacin! Totally forgot about it. Has to be the quick release version with the "flush", if I remember correctly. Found it on amazon at 1000mg. Add to wish list for as soon as I have some money.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It has to be nicotinic acid and NOT niacinamide. 1000 mg!??? You sure? That flush and the itch must be brutal.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, you can buy it in bulk powder if you have a scale...

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It has to be nicotinic acid and NOT niacinamide. 1000 mg!??? You sure? That flush and the itch must be brutal.
Sure, read the studies a decade ago. Up to 3 gr x day max, only the flush-version has the benefits, no other version.

Seriously, I like the flush -but well, I'm different. :)