superset
Face Pulls
3x15

Seated Dumbbell Curl
3x15
superset
Tricep Pushdown
3x15

Again, I felt exceptionally strong so I rolled with it. 365 was definitely my limit. Nice round number. Would love to see 405 inside of 3 years.

Stay strong AM.
Damn dude, catching on all fronts. Nice work!

Balthazar

Awards
damn swim, i hope i can work up to squatting more than your bench soon lol.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Damn dude, catching on all fronts. Nice work!
Thanks!

And yep, the last month's highlights feel good looking back.

500 pause squat
475x5 squat
365 bench
550 deadlift

I REALLY need to get back to building though. I know I keep saying this lol. Just hard when whatever I put on the bar (within reason) goes up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks!

And yep, the last month's highlights feel good looking back.

500 pause squat
475x5 squat
365 bench
550 deadlift

I REALLY need to get back to building though. I know I keep saying this lol. Just hard when whatever I put on the bar (within reason) goes up.
If you keep putting up bigger numbers, who cares? When you stall head right back into building, simple as that.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What are you weighing? You may be able to go snag an elite total for ****s and giggles lol

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
215lbs. Don't think 198 would really be in the cards. And doubt I could total elite at 220. I don't even know what it is. Where do you look up what's what?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
USPA's w/o wraps:
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1487087589.246554.jpg

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Thanks, Jared. Yeah I'm a ways off. I imagine within the next year I could squeak out an elite 198 with a water cut, but that'd be silly. Would rather lift at the weight I walk around at. I imagine the biggest I'll ever get is 220-230 anyway.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I could definitely see that too considering you have already hit the masters bench and dead, and are likely good for the squat imo.

That chart is a little surprising to me, i would have guessed those #s would be a higher truthfully. Im kinda weirded out that I attempted an "elite" deadlift at my last meet.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
That chart is a little surprising to me, i would have guessed those #s would be a higher truthfully. Im kinda weirded out that I attempted an "elite" deadlift at my last meet.
You're strong, bro. Get over it lol.

Seriously though, go to a chain gym and look around. Everyone is so freaking weak and even they're strong compared to the average person. Social media has skewed a lot of our perceptions of what is strong.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/14 Happy Valentine's Day

High Bar Pause Squat
365x4
375x4
385x3
395x3
405x2
415x2
425x1

Good Morning
225x10
225x10
225x10

Leg Extension
3x15

Solid session. Nothing earth shattering. Debated pushing for a high bar pause PR, but I was already running short on time.

Upper tomorrow.

Stay strong AM.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're strong, bro. Get over it lol.

Seriously though, go to a chain gym and look around. Everyone is so freaking weak and even they're strong compared to the average person. Social media has skewed a lot of our perceptions of what is strong.
At 1 lift...and it's sumo

That last part I can agree with. Seeing people squatting and deadlifting 7-800+ and benching 450+ for reps regularly on SM kind of makes you start to think its a common occurrence lol.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
At 1 lift...and it's sumo

That last part I can agree with. Seeing people squatting and deadlifting 7-800+ and benching 450+ for reps regularly on SM kind of makes you start to think its a common occurrence lol.
Pretty much man. However seeing so many people doing it also shows me that it's likely with time and staying healthy I can do it too. So there is that.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Pretty much man. However seeing so many people doing it also shows me that it's likely with time and staying healthy I can do it too. So there is that.
"So many"?

For example, how many people squat 700 raw weighing 220 or less? Maybe 20-30 guys in the world?

Playing devil's advocate. I get what you're really saying, but I'd be afraid of thinking it's common because it's not hard to find online. Hell, even deadlifting 600lbs is going to put you in the top 1% of gym-goers.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
"So many"?

For example, how many people squat 700 raw weighing 220 or less? Maybe 20-30 guys in the world?

Playing devil's advocate. I get what you're really saying, but I'd be afraid of thinking it's common because it's not hard to find online. Hell, even deadlifting 600lbs is going to put you in the top 1% of gym-goers.
I wasn't talking about my weight class but bigger dudes 242+ putting up decent numbers. The 220-198 guys are fewer and far between. Just saying I can get stronger seeing other stronger people.

You are right though.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/15

Pause CGBP
270x4
275x4
280x4
285x4
290x4
295x4 PR? RPE 9

Chest Supported Row
182.5x10
182.5x10
182.5x10

V-Grip Pulldown
2x10

Lateral Raises
3x15
superset
Prone Rear Fly
3x15

Concentration Curl
3x15
superset
Tricep Pushdown
3x15

I've gotten stronger in general, but I will say the addition of frequent closer grip pressing has definitely helped its fair share.

Stay strong AM.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Some strong close grip work there dude. You have gotten quite strong pretty quick too. Keep putting the work in man, you'll never know how far you can reach.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Some strong close grip work there dude. You have gotten quite strong pretty quick too. Keep putting the work in man, you'll never know how far you can reach.
Thanks, capo. It's taken about 18 months of dedicated work, but now my CG is finally on par with my "competition" grip.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/16

Push Press
200x5
205x5
210x5
225x5 PR

Lat Pulldown
230x10
230x10
190x10
190x10

Shrugs
370x10
410x10
450x10
500x10
550x2...straps ripped.

Cable Lateral Raises
3x20

Incline Curl
3x15
superset
Tricep Pushdown
3x15

Preacher Curl Machine
2x10

Another PR in the books. My push press technique sucks. That's okay though. Just an overload movement for my OHP.

Gonna need some new straps. Only thing I use them for is shrugs so no worries.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/18

Sumo Deadlift
work up, work up
455x1

Leg Press
4x10

Leg Curl
4x10

Back Extensions
50 total

Went light today on purpose. Don't need a deload, but wasn't feeling up to a heavy lower session.

Oh, and sumo is garbage.

Upper tomorrow.

Stay strong AM.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sumo is all glutes and positioned to be good at it lol.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah my positioning is wack. I'm better at conventional anyway so no worries.
I feel yeah. However sumo is more so related to the squat so I'd imagine overtime with your squat genetics sumo would probably be better for. But you have all the time in the world to figure that out.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I feel yeah. However sumo is more so related to the squat so I'd imagine overtime with your squat genetics sumo would probably be better for. But you have all the time in the world to figure that out.
How do you figure i (and others) sumo considerably more than my squat then? I always wondered how i edit: am "good" at sumo but suck at squatting.

Edit: I know that my hips are higher at the start of the pull than when i hit the hole of my squat. But once again that just goes back to positioning and my bar wedge.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How do you figure i (and others) sumo considerably more than my squat then? I always wondered how i "good" at sumo but suck at squatting.

Edit: I know that my hips are higher at the start of the pull than when i hit the hole of my squat. But once again that just goes back to positioning and my bar wedge.
Your squat hasn't been consistent. I'm sure it'll take off once you get moving. All in time. Just bc squat isn't your lift now doesn't mean it'll always be that way. Most people just are better at pulling and pull more early on.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/19

Pause Bench
300x5
300x5
300x5
320x1 (3 Count Pause) PR

Cable Row
12-10-8

Lateral Raises
2x15

Preacher Curl
5x10

Tricep Pushdown
5x15

Alternating Dumbbell Curl
3x10

Stay strong AM.

Balthazar

Awards
once again, damn swim, i was just looking through your log...225x5 Push Press. I think that's my current split jerk PR. but i will say that my form and efficiency has improved quite a bit. i don't think i'll work up to heavier than that for 5s but i'm hoping for a single off the rack somewhere around 300 for jerk. my current single PR is 265.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
once again, damn swim, i was just looking through your log...225x5 Push Press. I think that's my current split jerk PR. but i will say that my form and efficiency has improved quite a bit. i don't think i'll work up to heavier than that for 5s but i'm hoping for a single off the rack somewhere around 300 for jerk. my current single PR is 265.
Haha thanks! But really wouldn't he surprised if you could out split jerk me. Idk how lol

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/21

High Bar Pause Squat
365x4
375x4
390x3
400x3
405x2
410x2 RPE 9

Pause Squat
430x2
450x2 RPE 9

Squat
460x3 RPE 8.5

Paused Front Squat
315x2
335x2
350x2 PR RPE 8

Front Squat
365x2
385x2 PR RPE 9.5

Leg Curl
4x10

Don't ask why I did so many sets. I just didn't feel like stopping.

Scooped up some front squat PRs.

Stay strong AM.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You really went and got strong over the last couple years swim. You seem to regulate very well...or you are really good at pushing yourself...or both. What ever it's working and you're doing a great job.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
You really went and got strong over the last couple years swim. You seem to regulate very well...or you are really good at pushing yourself...or both. What ever it's working and you're doing a great job.
Thanks, rob. I appreciate it. And I would have to agree and say it's a combination of both.

I push myself and I'm consistent. Is what I do always "optimal?" No, far from. But I put in a lot of work. As I get stronger I'll need to narrow my focus to keep seeing progress, but I'm in no rush.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/22

Pause "Closer Grip" CGBP
225x10
235x8
240x8
225x10

Chest Supported Row
4x10

Lateral Raises
4x15
superset
Face Pulls
4x15

Dumbbell Curl
4x10

Tricep Pushdown
4x15

Wanted to bench, but didn't feel like going heavy = more reps with a closer grip. Problem solved.

Rest was my typical upper body assistance.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/24

Dumbbell OHP
4x10

Lat Pulldown
4x10

Lateral Raises
3x20

Incline Curl
4x15

Tricep Pushdown
5x15

Stay strong AM.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the front squat PRs dude. What do you call a closer grip vs a regular close grip?

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Nice work on the front squat PRs dude. What do you call a closer grip vs a regular close grip?
Thanks!

And my closer close grip is shoulder width and a regular close grip is anything closer than what I'd consider a normal grip width for me. If that makes sense? Haha.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/25

Deadlift
work up, work up
585xF (got it to my knees...nothing wrong, I'm just not strong enough yet)

Unilateral Leg Press
3x15 each leg

Leg Extension
3x15

Leg Curl
3x15

535 felt like a toy, so I decided screw it let's try 585. Didn't get it. Oh well. It's my end of the year goal anyway.

Stay strong AM.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2/25

Deadlift
work up, work up
585xF (got it to my knees...nothing wrong, I'm just not strong enough yet)

Unilateral Leg Press
3x15 each leg

Leg Extension
3x15

Leg Curl
3x15

535 felt like a toy, so I decided screw it let's try 585. Didn't get it. Oh well. It's my end of the year goal anyway.

Stay strong AM.
We are different lifters that's for sure, just interesting that you missed 585 to me. As with all the rep work you do, if I could mirror that then my top end would be so much higher then it is. Just cool to see how each of us respond to different stimuli.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Mhm. Im significantly better at repetition work than I am maxing.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
^ to add to this. And I don't think it's technique. Probably something to do with muscle fiber type distribution. You have more fast twitch fibers than I. Either that or you have better neural efficiency.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/27

Incline Bench
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

OHP
150x8
150x8
150x8
150x8

Lateral Raises
3x15
superset
Face Pulls
3x15

Dumbbell Curl
3x10

Tricep Pushdown
3x15

Concentration Curl
2x10

Ramping up the volume a bit.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/28

Chest Supported Row
4x10

Lat Pulldown
4x10

Unilateral Cable Row
2x10 each arm

Cable Lateral Raises
3x15 each arm

Rolling Tricep Extension
3x12

Incline Curl
3x12

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/1

High Bar Pause Squat
365x5
365x5
365x5

Squat
405x5
405x5

Leg Curl
4x12

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/3

Pause Bench
265x6
265x6
265x6
265x6

Feet Up CGBP
205x10
205x10

Lateral Raises
3x15
superset
Prone Rear Fly
3x15

Seated Dumbbell Curl
3x15

Tricep Pushdown
3x15

Another good one in the books. Dialing back and building for awhile now like I said before.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/4

Weighted Pull-Up
+20x8
+20x8
+20x8

Chest Supported Row
(neutral grip)
3x10

Upright Row
3x15

Extended ROM Lateral Raises
2x15

Incline Curl
3x12

Overhead Tricep Extension
3x12

Dumbbell Preacher Curl
2x15

Plugging away.

Deadlift and lower tomorrow.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/5

Deficit Deadlift
385x5
385x5
385x5

SLDL
(belt-less)
275x8
275x8

Close Stance High Bar Squat
(belt-less, sleeve-less)
315x6
315x6

Close Stance Leg Press
405x10
405x10
365x10

Challenging workout. SLDLs are a bîtch. And close stance is hard.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/6

Incline Bench
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x4

OHP
150x8
150x8
150x8
150x8

Lateral Raises
3x15
superset
Face Pulls
3x15

Dumbbell Curl
3x10

Tricep Pushdown
4x15

Concentration Curl
2x10

Cable Lateral Raises
2x15

Continuing to push volume up a tad. I'll be adding volume every week. 5 weeks total then a deload. I'll repeat that at least three times for a total of 18 weeks. Who knows I might just say screw it and train for hypertrophy for the majority of the year. We'll see.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/7

Chest Supported Row
4x10

Lat Pulldown
4x10

Unilateral Cable Row
2x10

Cable Lateral Raises