Life changing events and recovering my weak legs [emoji57]

sloppychauncy

sloppychauncy

Awards
Ok this is gonna be a long story, but here we go. A few years ago, I was in my last semester of college about to graduate from UF, until I came down with bacterial meningitis from “swimming in dirty water,”I was told. However the only dirty water I was ever around was the sewage overflows in my crappy apartment that I made multiple complaints about to the office that were unanswered. I even went to the hospital and they started giving me an x ray which had nothing to do with what I was complaining about! So of course, they stereotyped me as a typical college kid partying and doing drugs and told me it was a flu. I knew it wasn’t and was something worse and asked them if they would just do their job and check my white blood cells count for an infection, but they insisted that they already did everything they could and just prescribed me some ambien for sleeping (one of my complaints among other classic bacterial meningitis symptoms like stiff neck, etc) and then I said “alright I’ll see you guys in a few weeks.” I had hoped I was just kidding, but boy was I wrong. One night after getting home from the gym, I went to make a protein shake, but I bumped into the button to turn on the stove it was sitting on, and the next thing I know is I’m laying down in my bed and my fire alarms going off; but thank god I love the cold weather (Gainesville) because if my window wasn’t open, my neighbor couldn’t have climbed into my apartment and saved my life by calling 911. Cuz I guess by the time I got to the hospital, I had so much carbon monoxide poisoning and I suffered from a consequential stroke and I was seizing. When I got to the hospital they did a spinal tap and confirmed it was bacterial meningitis. My family was called and they rushed from west Palm Beach, and by the time they arrived, they had already removed my right side of my skull to relieve the pressure. Next they had to resect a lobe of my brain. Of course, I was medically induced in a coma for about 3-4 months where I had some of the most vivid dreams of my life (I see why Michael Jackson was addicted to propofol) when I finally woke up, I couldn’t talk yet which was probably the most frustrating thing, and I was freaked out when I learned what had happened and my whole left side was paralyzed. So what I’m wondering is, what besides quad extensions and leg press are really good for building your quads? I do everything that I’m able to one side at a time by the way, to avoid looking like an uneven retard.
IMG_0833.jpg

10852588_393423577449508_382298138_n.jpg
—my lowest when I was about 150(from 185 before)

MedRat

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Im a big believer in squats. Your situation really enrages me. These doctors that just blow people off. If you aren't already, you need to start suing everyone who can be implicated in your lifelong injuries. Pain, suffering, and quality of life issues, medical expences, negligence and more. There can be criminal proceedings as well, especially against the apartment owners? UF?

Your questions are better asked of a physical or sports therapist. You may need an occupational therapist and a speech therapist.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Glad you made it through! If you do squats, or regular leg press, I'm sure that your left leg will catch up quickly with your right (muscle memory).

sloppychauncy

sloppychauncy

Awards
Im a big believer in squats. Your situation really enrages me. These doctors that just blow people off. If you aren't already, you need to start suing everyone who can be implicated in your lifelong injuries. Pain, suffering, and quality of life issues, medical expences, negligence and more. There can be criminal proceedings as well, especially against the apartment owners? UF?

Your questions are better asked of a physical or sports therapist. You may need an occupational therapist and a speech therapist.
Oh believe me, I tried to sue everyone involved but each one was either protected or they were lying to cover their ass, like I guess uf has some protection law so you can’t sue them which is completely bullshit in my opinion, and the apartment complex that did nothing until I complained 3 fucking times lied and threw out any records of the cleaning crew they sent to my apartment to clean it out finally (who by the way had guys all wearing hazmat suits!) so I got completely fucked over in life. My life is literally ruined. I can never do the work I always wanted to do, every girl just pretty much dwells on the fucked up part of me, I can’t even walk right, my talking is not as good as it used to be, etc, all because of the god damn apartment complex. Plus it’s past the statute of limitations.God damnit I’m getting pissed off thinking about it again. The only good thing about it is that I was able to return to a school like uf and finish my degree off. If my talking wasn’t affected as much, maybe I could turn that into like a motivational speaker thing or something who knows?

sloppychauncy

sloppychauncy

Awards
Glad you made it through! If you do squats, or regular leg press, I'm sure that your left leg will catch up quickly with your right (muscle memory).
ya the only problem is when I do those, my clonus tends to kick in and sometimes really violently