LET ME TELL YOU OF THE DAYS OF HIGH ADVENTURE!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
No. There's no easy way to describe the entire process, so I'll just say it uses expensive whole food vitamins and weekly kinesthetic testing to balance the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system to allow the body's organs to work at their full potential. Hmm...that actually sounds pretty good.
does it have a name I can look at on the google?

Famine

Famine

Awards
Nutrition response testing

When you google it, for every article you find that says it works, you'll find another article with words like hoax, fake, pseudo science, etc. I'm not here to convince anyone to do it. As I said in my original post, it's some holistic voodoo crap, but I have a ton of personal anecdotal evidence that it works. This time, however, I'll have blood work to tell me if it really works for me or not because the thing I'm trying to fix (thyroid) gets blood panel work done every 6 months. Is the scientific blood panel results don't match the applied kinesiology voodoo, then I stop. Basically, I'm taking a chance.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey I'm a big fan of anything that's remotely natural and holistic. I feel like everything we were told in the 80s and 90s was a lie and I have a hard time trusting pharma now.

Famine

Famine

Awards
hey I'm a big fan of anything that's remotely natural and holistic. I feel like everything we were told in the 80s and 90s was a lie and I have a hard time trusting pharma now.
I'm right there with you. I can't count the number of class action lawsuits I've seen advertised on TV for things they said were perfectly safe in the 90s.

1990: Take YAZ birth control and it will also help clear your skin and make you lose weight "naturally."

2015: If you took YAZ birth control in 1990, join our class action lawsuit because it caused birth defects like babies with 3 arms, toenails for teeth, and caused mothers to have bleeding ulcers, hemorrhoids, and flammable vaginal fungus.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/14/16

Fridays are sh!t days to work out. It's the culminating day of stress and lack of sleep...and then I decide to work out? Ugh...anyway...

Warm Up
2 miles elliptical
Foam roller
Back and leg stretches

Deload Squats
3x5

BB Calf
4x15

Lunges
Some

What a waste of time.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/16/16
531 BB Routine

In an attempt to pick up the tempo of my solo workouts, I put a 10 minute timer on each activity. Seems silly, but it helped a lot. I got through warm ups and my regular routine in 55 minutes. That's about 20 minutes faster than last time I did this routine.

Standing Military Press (cleaned)
5x95
5x115
5x135
3x155
5x175
5x195
Last set morphed into a cheating push press. Too heavy tonight.

BB Upright Rows
10x65
10x95
10x115
10x135
Last set seemed ridiculously heavy.

DB Side Laterals
12x25
12x25
10x30
10x30
I'm putting this exercise back into the rotation on a regular basis. Last week my brother made an interesting observation that I'm square, and given the strength of my military press, my shoulders should be more pronounced/rounded. Additionally, he's 2/3rds of my size but was able to do the same amount as me for DB laterals. So I guess this is a weak point for me.

Seated Bentover DB Raises
4 sets of 10x25
I use to do these seated all the time...but it seemed oddly restrictive tonight...probably has something to do with my fat gut being in the way.

Superbar Hammer Curls
12x75
12x95
12x115
5x115
Like a lithium battery, my body and mind went from "go go go!" to "stop" almost instantly. Guess I ran out of juice.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very strong session- Beastman!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
remember Jack3d? man when we had that stuff I could do 90-120 minute workouts like it was 20 minutes, lol.

Famine

Famine

Awards
remember Jack3d? man when we had that stuff I could do 90-120 minute workouts like it was 20 minutes, lol.
Ahh, the original Jack3d...that was good stuff. So was...Craze? They ending up pulling it because it had some chemical in it that was also in meth, lol. No wonder I wanted more and more and more.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/17/16
531 BB Routine

Today's workout is bought to you by the Spotify station "Forever 80s" (I need to take a break from metal). You can easily spot this station on Spotify because the cover is the Never Ending Story Dragon. Apparently, when you listen to Forever 80s, you become as happy as you were in the 80s, but also as strong as you were in the 80s, which is my case is not a good thing strength-wise.

Warm Up
1 mile elliptical
Foam roller
Stuff

Cable Crunches
15x70
15x70

Hypers
15xBW
15xBW

Deads
5x185
5x225
3x275
5x295
5x335
3x375 sh!t
I blame Phil Collins for not hitting 5 reps.

Chinups
Barely any?
Seriously, WTF? My biceps are just toast when I try to do pull ups after deads. All I can figure, besides having sand in my gina, is the my biceps are hyper extended after pulling deads? IDK.

DB Rows
10x65
10x75
10x85
10x85

Hypers
20xBW
20xBW

Cable Crunches
15x80
15x90

Planks
3 sets of 30 seconds, 10 second rest

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ahh, the original Jack3d...that was good stuff. So was...Craze? They ending up pulling it because it had some chemical in it that was also in meth, lol. No wonder I wanted more and more and more.
I remember on Jack3d I'd walk around the gym after my workout was done looking for more work to do. I just wanted to lift and lift and lift, lol. it was crazy. but I could also tell my brain felt weird. it worked though.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
10/17/16
531 BB Routine

Today's workout is bought to you by the Spotify station "Forever 80s" (I need to take a break from metal). You can easily spot this station on Spotify because the cover is the Never Ending Story Dragon. Apparently, when you listen to Forever 80s, you become as happy as you were in the 80s, but also as strong as you were in the 80s, which is my case is not a good thing strength-wise.

Warm Up

1 mile elliptical
Foam roller
Stuff

Cable Crunches
15x70
15x70

Hypers
15xBW
15xBW

Deads
5x185
5x225
3x275
5x295
5x335
3x375 sh!t
I blame Phil Collins for not hitting 5 reps.

Chinups
Barely any?
Seriously, WTF? My biceps are just toast when I try to do pull ups after deads. All I can figure, besides having sand in my gina, is the my biceps are hyper extended after pulling deads? IDK.

DB Rows
10x65
10x75
10x85
10x85

Hypers
20xBW
20xBW

Cable Crunches
15x80
15x90

Planks
3 sets of 30 seconds, 10 second rest
Weird, bro. At least 3-5 Chin ups should be possible. On the other hand, when I did dead lifts, I barely managed to do anything afterwards, very draining exercise.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just to clarify, pull-ups are overhand and chin-ups are underhand. You are saying underhand chin-ups, right? If so then it is weird as those are much easier compared to pull-ups (not being arrogant). Maybe add bands under the knees for assistance until you build those support muscles?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
dont use bands, do negatives instead. I have a hard time explaining it but after 4 years of coaching I can tell you I never saw anyone take bands and make progress. however doing slow negatives has helped countless people that I've seen.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Yes, I am talking chin ups. If I try chin ups on a day other than deads, I can usually get 6-8. On dead day, sometimes I get 5, sometimes I get 1. There was a while when I was getting 6-8 on dead day, but that's when I was taking it easy on deads to ease my back back into it...at least I'm pretty sure. I've done those lat pull downs with a chin up grip for a few weeks...I thought that would help. But when I went back to regular chin ups, I was worse off than before. I don't know. I'll try negatives. I'll also try doing some every day...not a lot, but some.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, I am talking chin ups. If I try chin ups on a day other than deads, I can usually get 6-8. On dead day, sometimes I get 5, sometimes I get 1. There was a while when I was getting 6-8 on dead day, but that's when I was taking it easy on deads to ease my back back into it...at least I'm pretty sure. I've done those lat pull downs with a chin up grip for a few weeks...I thought that would help. But when I went back to regular chin ups, I was worse off than before. I don't know. I'll try negatives. I'll also try doing some every day...not a lot, but some.
Or chin ups first -then deads. Good idea doing negatives, helped me a lot in the past.
Couldn't live without chin and pulls, -but skipped on deads for a long time.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I read an article recently about building arms. one guy talked about how he always did arms day after the similar major movement. so he'd bench hard, then follow up with arms. instead, he switched to a dedicated arms day and added an inch. hes explanation was that he was not giving his arms full treatment because he was hitting them already pre exhausted after heavy bench or pulling days so his numbers were weaker than on dedicated arms days.

maybe you could have an arms day (poptart day as i think SBJones would have called it) and do chin ups on that day. wide grip chin ups i think are good on biceps.

another thought... if you start with chin ups before doing deads, will they hinder your deads as much as deads hinder your chinups?

Famine

Famine

Awards
I have been throwing in a dedicated arm and calf day every other week for the past few months, but maybe I can expand on this notion. 531 doesn't have much for arms. As for chin ups before deads...deads are more important to me than chin ups, so I wouldn't exhaust myself in that way.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/19/16

Bench
5x135
5x165
3x195
5x205
5x235
3x265

Bench Partials
10x135
10x225
10x225
10x225
Not sure what to call these. It was practice for the top end of the movement. I put the safety bars at the half way mark. Then I did all my lifts from the safety bars.

10/22/16
Arm Day

I went to the chiro today and had some fantastic neck work done. Felt like a million dollars when I left. So only isolated movements tonight so I don't screw anything up.

Incline DB Curls
4 sets of 10x45

Preacher Curl Negatives
3 sets of 5x70
I remember these being more efficient when I had a spotter.

Chin ups
Huh...

French Press
10x70
10x90
10x110
10x110

Tricep Rope
12x50
12x60
10x70
8x70
10x60
12x50

There is a benefit to working out in your garage...if you get hot, just strip down to your boxer briefs. But what I noticed when I did that was that my hamstrings need some work. Tomorrow is squat day. Note to self, do at least two auxiliary hamstring movements.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/23/16
531 BB Routine

Squats
5x155
5x195
3x235
5x255
5x295
1x335
I sort of lost my mental edge on that last set. 5 reps should have been very doable.

BB Calf Raises (off plates)
4 sets of 15x315

SLDL
4 sets of 10x135
Back was tight tonight.

Hypers
4 sets of 15xBW

Decline Situps
4 sets of 15

A very lackluster workout. I just can't seem to get into beast mode lately. I'm just going through the motions right now.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, that session was Beastly to me. Half the battle is just showing up - hang in there.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/24/16
531 BB Routine

A 20oz coffee slam makes all the difference!

10xbar
5x95
5x115
3x135
3x155
3x185
3x205
These felt strong tonight.

Trap Bar Shrugs
10x225
10x315
10x365
10x415
Last set wanted to break me, but I got 'em.

Side DB Laterals (multi angle)
12x25
12x25
12x30
12x30

Rear Delt Bands
4 sets of 15

Standing Military Press Behind the Head
10xbar
10x95
Okay, enough of that stupid sh!t...

Arm Bars
3 sets w/45# plate
These are getting easy...so they must be doing something.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/26/16
351 BB Routine

Weight: steady at 224 all week

Warm Up
Foam roller
Lower Body stretches
Hypers
Cable Crunches

Deads
5x185
5x225
3x285
3x315
3x355
3x395

T-bar Lat Pulls (supinated grip)
15x120
12x140
8x160
10x160
These are getting stronger every week. Should be benefitting my pull ups.

Low Pulley Cross Laterals
4 sets of 10

Cool Down
Hypers
Cable Crunches

Famine

Famine

Awards
So yesterday a local chiropractor and massage therapist came to our work to drum up some business by giving free 10 minute massages to any staff member. That was a mistake. First off, it wasn't even a massage. It was 10 minutes of a "massage therapist" dressed in scrubs with a protruding fupa who just poked and squeezed pressure points. For the first two minutes she tried pushing on a pressure point in my right trap. (Idiot, I shrug over 400 pounds...your fingers will break before you make my pressure point do anything). For the second two minutes she did the same thing but on the left side. For the next two minutes the "unt" with a capital "C" grabbed onto my neck and just squeezed...as if she were choking me, but from behind. Admittedly, this F-ing hurt. But what am I gonna do, say "uncle" in front of my co-workers who think I'm the toughest mofo in the building? Hell no. Turns out, I should have...more on that in a second. For the next set of minutes, I'm not sure what she was doing since I couldn't see, but I can only guess that she was attempting to do something to my lower back by smashing her fupa into my lumbar. As for the last two minutes...there were no last two minutes! It was 8 F-ing minutes. Scammers.

Within an hour of that BS, and still today, I feel like I'm walking in a haze, my neck hurts like a son of a b!tch, I'm sneezing, my nose is running non stop, and there is a repetitive popping sound when I try to look left. B!tch probably put my atlas out of place when she was attempting the Vulcan Death Grip on my neck. Mother F-er I'm pissed!

So the moral of the story is that the next time a fat fupa nurse asks if you want something for free, F-ing run in the other direction!

I'm going to attempt to do my scheduled workout tonight, but God only knows how that's going to go.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So yesterday a local chiropractor and massage therapist came to our work to drum up some business by giving free 10 minute massages to any staff member. That was a mistake. First off, it wasn't even a massage. It was 10 minutes of a "massage therapist" dressed in scrubs with a protruding fupa who just poked and squeezed pressure points. For the first two minutes she tried pushing on a pressure point in my right trap. (Idiot, I shrug over 400 pounds...your fingers will break before you make my pressure point do anything). For the second two minutes she did the same thing but on the left side. For the next two minutes the "unt" with a capital "C" grabbed onto my neck and just squeezed...as if she were choking me, but from behind. Admittedly, this F-ing hurt. But what am I gonna do, say "uncle" in front of my co-workers who think I'm the toughest mofo in the building? Hell no. Turns out, I should have...more on that in a second. For the next set of minutes, I'm not sure what she was doing since I couldn't see, but I can only guess that she was attempting to do something to my lower back by smashing her fupa into my lumbar. As for the last two minutes...there were no last two minutes! It was 8 F-ing minutes. Scammers.

Within an hour of that BS, and still today, I feel like I'm walking in a haze, my neck hurts like a son of a b!tch, I'm sneezing, my nose is running non stop, and there is a repetitive popping sound when I try to look left. B!tch probably put my atlas out of place when she was attempting the Vulcan Death Grip on my neck. Mother F-er I'm pissed!

So the moral of the story is that the next time a fat fupa nurse asks if you want something for free, F-ing run in the other direction!

I'm going to attempt to do my scheduled workout tonight, but God only knows how that's going to go.
What an odd encounter, LOL!

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/28/16

Bench
5x135
5x165
3x195
3x225
3x255
1x185
0x305 one side hit safety bar, couldn't rebound
0x305

Screw lifting.

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That was a terrible massage! There is a broad nerve bundle in the side of the neck, near the carotid artery, that I would target with a knife hand strike if threatened. That strike can immediately take the largest person to their knees or worse. Geez, I'd be pissed as well.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I didn't waste any time. I had my chiro fix me up this morning. I think I'll just work on isolated muscles today and tomorrow, probably arms, while everything settles in.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/29/16

Arm Day

Concentration Curls
4 sets of 10

Cable Curls
4 sets of 10

EZ Bar Curls
3 sets of 10

Tricep Pushdowns
14 sets of 7-10

Famine

Famine

Awards
10/30/16

Vanity workout for tomorrow's sleeveless Halloween costume...

CGBP
10x135
10x155
10x175
10x195

Superbar Hammer Curls
10x75
10x95
10x115
10x135

Side DB Laterals
4 sets of 10

Rear Delt Bands
4 sets of 15

Tricep Rope
4 sets of 10

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
fupa, i'm dying lol. i had to google that to figure out what the hell you were talking about

Famine

Famine

Awards
Yesterday I got all hyped up to do legs, started with squats, but only made it through a 3x5. Low back and hips were super tight and achy, even after about 10 minutes of stretching. Not sure why. So I planned on pushing the workout to today. Today it was better, but still not great. So, I guess I'm skipping a round of legs this week.

11/3/16
531 BB Routine

Weight: 225

5x95
5x115
3x135
5x175
3x195
2x215
As always, the last set had some bob in the knees, so it almost looked like a push press. I might need to switch to seated military press to start isolating the delts a bit more. I know the numbers will be A LOT lower.

BB Upright Rows
10x75
10x95
10x115
10x135

Side DB Laterals
4 sets of 10

Face Pulls
4 sets of 10
I just don't get out of these what I think I'm suppose to be getting.

DB Curls
4 sets of 10

Famine

Famine

Awards
11/4/16
531ish

Deads
5x135
5x185
5x225
3x275
3x335
3x375
1x415

Narrow Lat Pulls
10x100
10x120
10x140
10x160

This short workout took an hour. Usually I'd be pissed about that, but I'm not. Here's how it went down...

My low back has been **** for the past week. How do you do deads with a tight at hell low back? Try to fix it yourself. So I followed this video exactly as shown...

[video=youtube;FDmmeh4jNJU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDmmeh4jNJU[/video]

Holy crap, it worked. I went from not being able to touch my ankles to being able to touch my toes within 2 minutes. At this point, I was happy as heck. But then I added some preworkout that I got in the mail today...

c4-extreme-400x600.jpg

...which lead to a lot of this during my workout...

[video=youtube;wumzvY0b9yg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wumzvY0b9yg[/video]

You gotta celebrate the small victories.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I'd like to do some glute activation warm ups, but youtube has 5 billion different ways to do that. Anyone have one they like?

Famine

Famine

Awards
11/6/16
531 BB Routine

Weight: 223

Bench
5x135
5x165
3x195
5x235
3x265
1x295
2x265
3x245
5x225
5x225

Dips
4 sets of 10

DB Flies
4 sets of 10

Tricep Pushdowns
4 sets of 10

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
glute activation. you can try glute bridges with leg lifts, or paused air squats, or pistols. and if you can't do 'real' pistols, I bet you can by using a box or a rack or something. Pistols always leave me with super sore glutes.

even trying them like this is hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8-P4g5Px_4

Famine

Famine

Awards
11/7/16

Lumbar has been **** for past week and a half. Same old spot, L5/SI. Chiro didn't get it right last time I was there. Going back Saturday. I know how this goes...it will take 2-3 visits to get it just right, then I should be good for several months. Because of that, no squats for today's leg day.

Elliptical
3 miles

Leg Extensions
10x90
10x135
10x180
10x205

Leg Curls
15x50
10x75
10x75
10x75

...lol...and that's about all I can take.

11/9/16

Stretching Day

Upper Cross Syndrome Stretches
3 sets

Psoas Stretches
2 sets

Deep Neck Flexors
10 sets

Rhomboids with bands
5 sets

11/10/16

Seated Military Press
5x95
5x115
5x135
5x155
5x175
2x195
0x215
15x135
This went better than expected considering I haven't done seated for probably a year. Well, when I dumped the 215...that was a little loud.

Arm Bars
45# plate x 3 sets

Side DB Laterals
4 sets of 10

Rear Band Delts
4 sets of 15

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hope the back is doing better soon. mine's been weird, allowing deads but not squats.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What happened to you?

Does a bit of back pain keep you from training?
Puzzy.
;)

Famine

Famine

Awards
So I had one of these...

greta.jpg

This is Greta, and she sure demands a lot of time. I am totally too old for this.

As for workouts...they've been happening. Low back has been sh!t for most of that time. If I got any type of heavy load on the spine, a sharp shooting pain would happen at the base of my spine to the point where I couldn't help dropping the weight. Toughing through it wasn't even an option. Until one magical day the chiro did this new thing that is suppose to put space in between the SI joint to alleviate pressure on the piriformis. And hold crap, it was like new again...until I did deads the next week...then it all came back. Repeat this process two more times and I decided that the area isn't stable enough for deads at the time being. So, after the last procedure, 3 weeks ago, I haven't done deads. The pain seems to be subsiding. I'm going to scrap deads for 6 months to see what happens. So now I'm doing the 531 routine, but on dead day, I just do more squats.

So that's where I'm at. I might start logging again here soon, but life is really busy right now.

Warsheeper

Warsheeper

Awards
congrats man, she looks really happy and active :D
don't worry about the deads they'll come back eventually, try frontsquats instead and do more core work(especially rotation and anti rotation)

Famine

Famine

Awards
Thanks.

I do sit ups, hyper extensions, yoga ball balancing (eyes open and eyes closed...Way harder), crazy amount of flexibility stretches, and foam roller before every workout now. Sucks.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
J, congrats on the addition! I know you guys were bummed to think the midnight feedings were over. She's beautiful, you done good.

Your issue is the opposite of mine. I have been able to do front squats and Deads, but not back squats. Whenever my back feels great and I try a set of back squats, I regret it for a week.

However... Adding RDLs in always gives me a week of a great feeling. So.... Even though I do strength training at five rep sets... I do Rdls at 10-15.

I don't know. Maybe there's something in there that can help you. Isn't your back issue also lower like L5 area? Mine seems to be the burst disk under the L5 putting strain on sciatic. IDK why, but RDLs of any weight (as low as 95, up to 225lb lately) seems to really help.

Good luck