LET ME TELL YOU OF THE DAYS OF HIGH ADVENTURE!

Warsheeper

Warsheeper

Awards
if it doesn't hurt don't sweat it too much, if you remember i had 2, with massive pain
got a net inserted to help it heal, 12 weeks rest and then i was able to train at 100% again

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Dude I'm sorry. Hernia is always my number one fear. take your time and work your way back out of the deload as you can and let your body be the judge.

if it doesn't hurt don't sweat it too much, if you remember i had 2, with massive pain
got a net inserted to help it heal, 12 weeks rest and then i was able to train at 100% again
my training buddy did the same thing, he had to have surgery and now squats about 440/DL500/ C/J 315.

Famine

Famine

Awards
10 miles elliptical today.

Hard to pull the pin on elective surgery for something that happened once. Also hard to determine when and if it happens again...since I got it from something and minor and jumping up from putting my shoes on while coughing. Go figure. What also boggles my mind is that he human body can heal from just about anything...except a hernia? I have ready NOTHING that suggest there is anything to do other than lose weight and don't smoke. Eyeballs...those don't heal, I guess...but why can't the stomach muscle and lining? Weird. Anyway, I'll ease back into it next week when I get my tummy tuck hernia wrap, lol. We'll see what happens. If (probably "when") it happens again, I'll put serious thought into the surgery. 12 weeks down...man, that would suck!

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, sh1t.
Coughing and sneezing can do all kind of damage.
Keep us informed how it goes from here, it could affect any of us.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
good luck dude. Just take it easy and listen to your body. we can't protect ourselves against everything... obviously... but i'm sure in time you'll bounce back. just let your body heal and rebuild your confidence.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hopefully you wont have to do surgery and it works out for you.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Thanks guys. I won't be waiting long. I have a tendency to say "FU, body." I've already cut my calories back by 20% and stopped drinking any beers so I don't get fat(ter) while I've got some down time.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I got a hernia wrap that's suppose to give extra abdominal support. I'm not sure what I was expecting...cause it's about worthless. I wear it anyway, but there's not much more support than wearing a shirt that's too small for you.

3/31/16
8 days post hernia

Weight: 230

Standing Military Press
5x95
5x115
3x135
5x155
5x175
I usually clean these from the ground, but given my level of vag right now, I took them from the rack. I skipped the 6th set. 175 was all I wanted to push.

BB Upright Rows
10x95
10x115
10x125
10x125

DB Arnold Press (seated)
10x45
10x55
10x65

Rear Delt Bands
4 sets of 15

Superbar Hammer Curls
12x75
12x95

I quite early because I heard the wife yelling. Came in from the garage and found that the dog at the table leg of our dining table. The table is rock maple...impressive feat, but I about lost my mind. The dog is eating everything in my house...no, correction...he's eating THE house. He's eaten baseboards in 4 different rooms. F ing baseboards!!! Anyway...

4/1/16
9 days post hernia

Weight: 228

Warm Up
2 miles elliptical
Foam roller

Deads
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x275
This really pissed me off. Not only was I afraid of my guts spilling out again, but my back was so fricking stiff these almost looked like good mornings. My body does not like time off.

Chinups

DB Rows
15x45
15x65
15x65
Low back stiff here too. Hmm...what did I do yesterday?

Hypers
3 sets of 15xBW

--superset w/--

Cable Crunches
3 sets of 15x80

My plantar fasciitis issues came back today full force. Looking over my notes, it seems to always be worse the day after standing military press. I think I'll start doing seated military press for a while...although that's a bitch to do with my power rack and bench arrangement (can't get bench inside of rack far enough). It's also worse the day after I wear running shoes. Which is why I ordered some new sweet lightweight Merrell boots.

boots.PNG

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I got a hernia wrap that's suppose to give extra abdominal support. I'm not sure what I was expecting...cause it's about worthless. I wear it anyway, but there's not much more support than wearing a shirt that's too small for you.
This hernia story had me freaked out, I truly hope for you it was an isolated incident.

I quite early because I heard the wife yelling. Came in from the garage and found that the dog at the table leg of our dining table. The table is rock maple...impressive feat, but I about lost my mind. The dog is eating everything in my house...no, correction...he's eating THE house. He's eaten baseboards in 4 different rooms. F ing baseboards!!! Anyway...
I feel you.
At one point my rottweiler was bloated like a beach ball and made whining noises. I immediately thought his stomach had turned and he may die on me. The whole night I was comforting him crying rivers of tears, massaging his butt hole and praising him for every fart he got out....
Later I found he stole an entire12 lbs plum-cake from the table and ate it all, he wasn't bloating and dying, he only was full... damn

Famine

Famine

Awards
This hernia story had me freaked out, I truly hope for you it was an isolated incident.

I feel you.
At one point my rottweiler was bloated like a beach ball and made whining noises. I immediately thought his stomach had turned and he may die on me. The whole night I was comforting him crying rivers of tears, massaging his butt hole and praising him for every fart he got out....
Later I found he stole an entire12 lbs plum-cake from the table and ate it all, he wasn't bloating and dying, he only was full... damn
Not the dog whisperer...the butt hole whisperer, lol.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/2/16
531 BB Routine

Weight: 229

Warm Up
Psoas stretch
Shoulder rotations
Foam roller

Bench
5x135
5x155
3x185
5x205
5x235
3x265
I really should have hit 5-6 on that last set. Ugh...discouraging.

CGBP
10x135
10x155
10x175
10x195
The last few reps were grinders.

Dips
4 sets of 10

Tricep Rope Pushdowns
4 sets of 12

9PM workouts blow.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/3/16
531 BB Routine

Warm Up
2 miles elliptical
Foam roller
Air Squats

Squats
5x135
5x155
3x185
5x205
5x225
5x245
I was hyper focused on my hernia spot while doing these. So much so, that I think I subconsciously kept my abs from fully engaging, which in turn made these WAY more difficult than they should have been. But even so, I was pleased that nothing bad happened.

Standing BB Calf Raises (off of plates)
4 sets of 15x225

SLDL
4 sets of 10x155

Decline Sit-ups
4 sets of 15
I was nervous while doing these. Got a funny feeling in my gut around rep 13 on each set. But again, please that nothing bad happened.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm looking through my fingers reading your routine, waiting for that "alien-moment"...

alien-chest-burster.jpg

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
are you wearing a regular lifting belt for any of it or just the hernia wrap thing?

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Glad to hear you can still work out and not have to do the surgery immediately.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I'm looking through my fingers reading your routine, waiting for that "alien-moment"...

View attachment 133670
LOL, I tried posting that picture back when I mentioned Alien, but it never worked for me.

are you wearing a regular lifting belt for any of it or just the hernia wrap thing?
I've been wearing the wrap the whole time, then belting up on top of it whenever I would usually put on a belt. Yesterday I had a hodgepodge workout with my brother and I didn't wear it at all. It really didn't seem to be any different without it...although I did get a few flutter feeling in my gut, but not where it happened before. Now it's just screwing with my mind, I think.

Glad to hear you can still work out and not have to do the surgery immediately.
Nice...the "immediately" is a bit foreboding.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/7/16

My brother stopped over and wanted to squeeze in a workout...but couldn't do X, Y, or Z, so this is what we ended up doing:

Flat DB Press
4 sets of 10

Incline DB Press
4 sets of 10

Seated DB Press
4 sets of 10

DB Rows
4 sets of 10

Tricep Pushdowns
4 sets of 10

Not the most original workout, but the pace was fast so the volume had me breathing pretty heavily.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/11/16
531ish

Weight: 229

Bench
5x135
5x155
3x185
3x215
3x245
1x285
I totally pussed out on that last set. :grumpy:

CGBP
10x135
10x155
10x185
8x205

Dips
4 sets of 10xBW

Tricep Pushdowns
20x50
15x60
10x70
10x80
6x90
8x80
8x70
10x60
Triceps toast!

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/12/16

Just a few squats today...

Squats
5x135
5x185
3x225
3x255
3x275
3x305

Hypers
4 sets of 20

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
hey 300+lb squats seem pretty good. you must be feeling better about the injury.

Famine

Famine

Awards
To be honest, my whole abdomen feels weird, but not where the hernia was. Either a), my intestines are F'ed up and I'm slowly dying, or b) my body is rejecting the frequency of my workouts, or c) my body is rejecting the ridiculous amounts of beer I'm drinking to prepare for this trip I'm taking next week that has produced a saggy beer gut. Either way, you don't change horses mid race. I'll reconfigure after the trip.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Seems everything is going good with your work outs. Have fun on your trip.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/17/16
531 BB Routine

Standing Military Press (cleaned)
5x95
5x115
3x135
5x175
3x195
1x215
A bit of a push press on that last set.

BB Upright Rows
10x95
10x105
10x115
10x125

Standing Military Press (behind the head)
4 sets of 10x95
I know what you're thinking, "Why the hell would you do it behind the head? Clearly research shows that's bad." Hey, it was only 95 pounds, and my rear delts got swol as hell.

Rear Delt Bands
4 sets of 15

BB Curls
12x65
Woe! My wrist hurts...WTF? I thought I nipped that in the bud months ago. Grr...

4/18/16
Deads and Aux

Weight: 227

Deads
5x135
5x185
3x225
3x275
3x315
1x365
1x385

Cable Crunches
20x70
20x80
20x90

--superset w/--

Hypers
20xBW
20xBW
20xBW

I'll probably get a quick workout in tomorrow night, but won't log it since I'll be busy packing for my trip. I leave in two days directly after work. Then it's 3 days in the middle of nowhere, on a river, with 19 other dudes, and we'll need to consume...8 kegs of beer, 10 cases of canned beer (only allowed to drink it in shotgun fashion), 4 fifths of vodka, 4 fifths of Jack, 2 fifths of tequila, 2 fifths of Jamo, and 2 fifths of Jaeger. It's gonna be a **** storm. Upon return, I'll detox and reinvent my workout routine so I can get back to my fighting weight of 220.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Upon return, I'll detox and reinvent my workout routine so I can get back to my fighting weight of 220.
First you have to survive this adventure...

Famine

Famine

Awards
The weekend was crazy as usual. There was an accident when my brother and I decided to play hatchets vs. spears. In case you were wondering, hatchets always win. I hatcheted (is that a word?) the top of his wrist, laid it right open. It looked straight out of a horror film. But luckily, I was a zombie prepper years back, so I had my awesome first aid kit with me (lol, but I have ZERO formal training for first aid). I know what you're thinking, crazy, right? Well, we were in the middle of nowhere, at least an hour away from any medical facility, very drunk, and no cell phone reception. The only thing to do...fix it. So I cleaned the wound and gave him 8 stitches. Yeah, that's how I roll. The next day we went to the hospital. You know what the doctor said? I did a darn good job stitching. Ha, awesome.

Okay, time to reinvent myself...

4/25/16
Bounce Back Day

Weight: 228 (I didn't eat much that weekend)

Lifting
30 minutes of random light weights

Cardio
1.5 mile jog
On a real track...first time this year.

4/26/16
531 BB Routine

Standing Military Press
5x95
5x115
4x135
5x155
5x175
5x195
Top end sucked. Need to lower the weight next week.

Seated DB Press
4 sets of 12

Side DB Laterals
4 sets of 12

BB Curls
4 sets of 12

Preacher Curls
4 sets of 10
Wrist started hurting with a narrow grip. Switched to wide and seemed better. A little annoyed; I thought that injury was behind me.

4/28/16
531 BB Routine

Weight: 226 (going in the right direction)

Cable Crunches
15x70
15x80
15x90
15x90

--superset w/--

Hypers
4 sets of 15xBW

Deads
5x155
5x205
3x245
5x275
5x315
1x335 (needed to switch grips. Double overhand wasn't strong enough.)
3x335

Bent DB Rows
12x45
12x65
12x85

Overall, I have some good positive mojo going into the summer season. I will be jogging...should be jogging...1 day a week, which doesn't seem like much, but it's more than I've done in the past 6 months. I'm also cleaning up my diet a little...less alcohol and such. I'm shooting to hit 220 BW by June 1st, and maybe 215 by the end of summer. That last 5 pounds is hard for me to hit if I keep lifting heavy. Jogging and less beer...jogging and less beer. We'll see.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
....The weekend was crazy as usual. There was an accident when my brother and I decided to play hatchets vs. spears. In case you were wondering, hatchets always win....
WTH? Hatchets vs. fugging Spears? What type of "game" is that? That's serious youtube-stuff!

Can you imagine a "Spear to your hernia" move? Dang, you crazy, LOL!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
LOL

i mean, what else do you say? ahhhh, to be 13 again.

edit; lol this whole situation just makes me happy. I'm gonna ask my brother if he wants to play a game this weekend.

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
LOL

i mean, what else do you say? ahhhh, to be 13 again.

edit; lol this whole situation just makes me happy. I'm gonna ask my brother if he wants to play a game this weekend.
I read that last sentence like the guy from Saw. Lol

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
That is a crazy story. Maybe you should be a doctor.

Famine

Famine

Awards
4/30/16
531 BB Routine

Interesting workout tonight. We lost power from a rain storm. So I popped the garage door open, lit a few candles, and used my phone for music.

Warm Up
Cleaning the weight room (prior to losing power)

Bench
5x135
5x155
3x185
5x205
5x235
3x265
I should have had 5-6 on that last set. Grr...

Dips
10xBW
10xBW
10xBW
10xBW

DB Fly
10x45
10x45
10x45

Tricep Pushdowns
12x50
12x60
20x50
20x50
15x50
I'm using a new variation of the Wendler's 531 Body Building routine from Chalk Talk. All of these sets were suppose to be sets of 20. I forgot during the first two sets, then was blown out by the last set.

Pushups
Another new addition to the routine. My right wrist was hurting after the first set, so for sets 2-4 I put rolls of quarters in my hands and did pushups from my fists instead of palms. That seemed harder. I was also amazed that I couldn't do 4 sets of 20 pushups. That's never happened before. But my triceps were toast at that last routine.

So on the bad side of things, after my deadlifting routine two days ago, I was crapping blood. Yea! I'm guessing something tore maybe from my hernia? I don't know. I'm planning on going in to see the doctor this week to see if I should have an ultrasound on my stomach. Man...I hope they don't want to look in my butt. :ponder:

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hopefully it is only a hemorrhoid.

(hemorrhoid sounds like good thing, it has roid in it)

Famine

Famine

Awards
5/1/16
Leg Day

Weight: 224 (woe!?!?)

Cable Crunches
15x70
15x80
15x90
15x90

--superset w/--

Hypers
4 sets of 15xBW

Squats
5x135
5x185
5x225
5x255
Took it easy tonight.

Standing BB Calf Raises (off plates)
5 sets of 15x225

SLDL
3 sets of 10x135

Hmm...guess I need to run/jog tomorrow if I'm sticking with my plan. Ugh...

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i didn't respond this weekend, didn't know how. hopefully you're feeling better this week and its just like an irritated gut issue from eating or something.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
^^ in for update on gut

Famine

Famine

Awards
Basically, once every week, something odd happens...gut pain, blood (just that once), a hunch...and when I decide I'm definitely going to the doctor...it's followed by 5-6 days of nothing, so I back out of seeing a doctor. I'm also dropping lots of weight in the mid section by abstaining from alcohol 100% since my trip. Is it possible to have shrinking pains? I'm also working out a lot sooner than I'm suppose to after having an abdominal hernia. There are so many variables. And despite the notion that doctors are suppose to know everything, the answer to 4 out of my 5 last questions to the doctor were simply, "You're getting old. That happens." I'm not bleeding from my butt currently, lol, and I have zero pain, so screw it. I'll just wait another week to see if anything new happens.

Famine

Famine

Awards
5/2/16

Weight: 225

Cardio
1.5 mile run

Ahh....everything hurts! My body hates running!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
if you've cleaned up your eating then some foods could definitely cause gut pain initially. especially if you're eating more vegetables. personally, i'm going to eat 5lbs of food per day no matter what. the difference between clean eating and not is 5lbs of vegetables vs 5lbs of fried dead animal.

Famine

Famine

Awards
if you've cleaned up your eating then some foods could definitely cause gut pain initially. especially if you're eating more vegetables. personally, i'm going to eat 5lbs of food per day no matter what. the difference between clean eating and not is 5lbs of vegetables vs 5lbs of fried dead animal.
I just cut out beer. Diet is still pretty similar.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Happy+star+wars+day+for+those+of+you+who+aren+t_acc6e1_3659745.jpg

May the 4th
531 BB Routine

Weight: 229 hmm...

Standing Military Press
5x95
5x115
3x135
3x165
3x185
3x205
That felt better than last week.

Arnold Press
12x45
12x45
12x55
12x55

Rear DB Laterals
12x25
12x25
12x30
12x30

BB Curls
12x65
12x75
12x85
12x95

Tonight's workout was fine, but I tell ya what...legs on Sunday followed by running on Monday...when you're not in your best shape...daaaaaamn...I STILL feel like someone beat the crap out of my hammies and low back with a baseball bat.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Well, I did legs and SLDL on Sunday. Ran on Monday, and proceeded to feel like an invalid for the next 4 days. My low back and hips were just as bad on Friday as when I woke up on Tuesday after my run. 4 days with no lessening of pain means I go to the chiropractor. He took and look and said my hips were out of whack. So he did his thing and the pain went away slowly over the course of the next two days until it was gone totally.

Moral of the story, I guess I'm just made of frickin cotton candy. A little run and I break. But here's the thing (I'm always putting together theories...), when I had severe issues with my low back and hips for more than a year, it was when I was running to get into shape for the Tough Mudder. Maybe I just wasn't meant to run at all.

But being fatish isn't cool, so I'll have to figure out this conundrum. Maybe I need to warm up the low back and hips more before I run? I'm always focusing on quads, hammies, and calves...never really do much for the lumbar region. Hmm...I see what the ol' internet has to say on the issue.

In the meantime, I'm going to warm up for my workout tonight by cutting some grass before the rain gets here.

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Have you looked into specialized insoles for your individual gait? There's lots of companies out there that can do this, might want to look into it.

Famine

Famine

Awards
Have you looked into specialized insoles for your individual gait? There's lots of companies out there that can do this, might want to look into it.
Sounds like a solid idea. I'll look into it.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
remember Geoff used to seem to really hate long distance running. I know when i developed hip issues I think his exact response was "another nail in the coffin for long distance running" and those were only 5k's lol.

but now with plantar issues yeah, i'm with you. 33 and I cant' run without damaging something.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
My hip/ lower back pain started when I was running half marathons and the last one I did it hurt the entire time. Ever since that been an issue.

Famine

Famine

Awards
I read bunch of runner magazine reviews on inserts for running. Seems to be a 50/50 split on whether they help people. That coupled with what you guys are saying about running tells me I need to find another way to cardio.

5/8/16

Super Brief Cardio

2 miles elliptical

5/9/16
Less than 1/2 of a 531 Routine

Weight: 226

Bench
5x135
5x155
3x185
3x215
3x245
1x275
Every since I stopped tucking my legs WAY under like Date Tate instructs, my bench has gone nowhere. Sure, there are injuries in the mix, but still...nowhere.

Dips
4 sets of 10xBW

And I said F it for some reason.

5/10/16
Arm Day

I watched a few videos by that American Roughneck dude and got inspired to do a random, do what feels good, sort of arm day. I didn't log anything; I just did arms for about 45 minutes. And you know what? It did feel good.

5/11/16
531 BB Routine

Weight: 227 (hmm...going back up?)

Cable Crunches
15x70
15x80
15x90
15x100

--superset w/--

Hypers
15xBW
15xBW
20xBW
20xBW

Deads
5x135
5x185
3x225
3x275
3x315
1x365

Bent DB Rows
10x45
10x45
10x65
10x85

Chinups
"A few"...they seemed about 100x harder than usual when I do them last.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chinups after Bent over row's is a killer!