Left shoulder pain when benching

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
I turn 35 this year and I started back into lifting for the first time since my early 20s. It used to be an absolute passion of mine but I’ve allowed myself to get terribly out of shape over the last fifteen years or so. In a quest to drop weight and get in tip top shape, I’ve found myself back to the basics but with an issue…

I’m training on an upper/lower split and it seems like EVERY time I try to do bench press whether it be dumbell or barbell, my left shoulder around the anterior deltoid gets a pain. I’ve tried stretching, external rotation, warming up with RC work and I do a ton of volume for the upper back. I never had this issue in my previous years, but I guess that’s part of training in your 30s versus training in your 20s.

My idea was to maybe take a break from conventional bench pressing and switch to chest press machines and maybe smith machine bench presses and see if there’s still a shoulder pain. I don’t want to have to completely stop benching but everything for the chest seems to aggravate it.

Any input is appreciated.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Sounds like it may be the bicep tendon that is giving you the problem. Maybe a palm up light weight hi rep (25+ reps) lower cable front raise could help open up that area and break up the tissue. Do u do face pulls (with various implements with the cable at various heights)? Something your doing may be irritating the area. If you suspect anything, maybe sub it out for something different (ie. if it’s a pull up, switch to a high rep pull down with straps with a neutral grip implement)

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
Sounds like it may be the bicep tendon that is giving you the problem. Maybe a palm up light weight hi rep lower cable front raise could help open up that area and break up the tissue. Do u do face pulls (with various implements with the cable at various heights)? Something your doing may be irritating the area. If you suspect anything, maybe sub it out for something different (ie. if it’s a pull up, switch to a high rep pull down with straps).
I do face pulls pretty high with two separate ropes. I do it the way AthleanX demonstrated with supinated grip. I will say that the issue first occurred when I was pulling a sled towards me with a rope in CrossFit. That’s when I first noticed the pain, so it could very well be a bicep tendon…

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like it may be the bicep tendon that is giving you the problem. Maybe a palm up light weight hi rep (25+ reps) lower cable front raise could help open up that area and break up the tissue. Do u do face pulls (with various implements with the cable at various heights)? Something your doing may be irritating the area. If you suspect anything, maybe sub it out for something different (ie. if it’s a pull up, switch to a high rep pull down with straps with a neutral grip implement)
I can vouch for all this great advice!
I’ve had the same pain in the same area…

My main chest movement is a low incline db press. Set the bench at the first notch up.
I press with the dbs at an angle.

My main back movement, neutral grip tbar rows, I dont go as heavy…I cut out pull-ups. I’ll do underhand pulldowns, as well as overhand on the hoist machine pulldown in the ‘beginner section’ at crunch, which is fantastic.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And get a massage gun, if you can…Really helps get in that tissue.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I do face pulls pretty high with two separate ropes. I do it the way AthleanX demonstrated with supinated grip. I will say that the issue first occurred when I was pulling a sled towards me with a rope in CrossFit. That’s when I first noticed the pain, so it could very well be a bicep tendon…
Sounds like bicep tendon. Ty for the sled pull info, I looked at how AthleanX does these face pulls and think that that motion is a terrible idea and maybe what’s keeping the area irritated. Facepulls are meant to separate the shoulders from the upper back / traps and are not a rear delt exercise. The focus is more on the traps with separating the shoulders. I am 57 yr old powerlifter who presses each week. I swear this guy changes known good exercises just for engagement. I would not follow anything this guy says.

I would start off with a regular rope ( then use lots of other implements later) and use both hand grips. More variation is better for keeping the area mobile and sticky scar tissue free.
Between chin and nose is optimum for height. With a joined rope - just touch the mid nose. I like 3 sets once a week. 2 with one hand grip, 1 with the other. Some reps where u hold at contraction (especially focusing on that left side).
I would also try the palm up lower cable front raise I mentioned in the last post. This would pair really good with the face pull. Again if there is anything your doing that u think may be irritating the area, sub that exercise for something else. Keep benching and dumbell pressing though. I think doing these two exercises two days before benching would take pressure off that anterior delt. Really try to pack the lats down (especially on the left side) when setting up for your presses. Breathe in and brace and stay tight letting the weight sink into your upper back and traps. Good luck!

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
I’m currently going through this exact injury, went to a very knowledgable chiropractor yesterday. It’s your rotator cuff/bicep tendon.

You need to be doing a lot of palm up/turned outwards exercises to open this up and fix it. Cables are great for it. Also practise the movement of during sword from the opposite hip outwards with your thumb turned all the way back

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Is your pain during or after? Even when performing warm up sets? If not at what weight do you start to feel it? How long does it last?

You may still need to adjust your prep for the movement, many always just parrot things like more back work, ext rotation stretches, rotator cuff, etc. So it’s not wrong to have tried those, but what works for some may not be the work you need.

**We are looking for the amount of "something" (exercise, volume, etc.) that allows us to not increase symptoms over the next day or two or decrease in symptoms following training in that timeframe. If we do something that increases symptoms above where our current "baseline" is that means we have done too much of "something".

If we go with the assumption that your technique does not need an adjustment outside of a specific routine of exercises for your particular issues some things you can do if you prefer to keep pressing:
-If it is still possible to do preferred movement just with decreased loading that would be best, either by decreasing weight lifted, altering tempo, and/or increased repetitions (all while keeping in mind RPE or potential RPE limit).
-If that still isn't enough or possible next changing ROM may be appropriate (generally with some combination of the above).
If that still isn't enough or possible change the movement all together, but still something generally related (another pressing movement again possibly in combination with points above.
-Finally in combination with any of the above maybe a change in frequency of the movement.
*There may be some combination of the above if you do multiple times per week. Ex: Tempo Presses day 1, Alternate pressing movement day 2, etc.

Caveats:
-Many won't want to decrease loads enough to start.
-Many try to progress too fast, especially if they start to feel improvement in symptoms.
-Having zero pain is probably not realistic in the short term AND getting too discouraged when inevitably we have some steps back in the process (there will be ups and downs, it rarely is a perfectly linear path).

Again some of this may need to be in conjunction with other things which will be highly dependent on your particular issue, but these are some ways to work your preferred movement back into or to keep it in your plan.

Don't have the time to write out possible progressions, but that would be a starting point.

Strongknight77

Awards
I had similar issues. My P.T. told me my lower traps were very weak and unbalanced compared to the larger muscles. He suggested a lot of band pull-aparts with my palms up and prone y raises on an incline bench. These have worked wonders and the pain has disappeared. A buddy of mine had a similar problem and swears that just hanging from the pull-up bar for 30-60 seconds elevates his pain.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sounds like bicep tendon. Ty for the sled pull info, I looked at how AthleanX does these face pulls and think that that motion is a terrible idea and maybe what’s keeping the area irritated. Facepulls are meant to separate the shoulders from the upper back / traps and are not a rear delt exercise. The focus is more on the traps with separating the shoulders. I am 57 yr old powerlifter who presses each week. I swear this guy changes known good exercises just for engagement. I would not follow anything this guy says.

I would start off with a regular rope ( then use lots of other implements later) and use both hand grips. More variation is better for keeping the area mobile and sticky scar tissue free.
Between chin and nose is optimum for height. With a joined rope - just touch the mid nose. I like 3 sets once a week. 2 with one hand grip, 1 with the other. Some reps where u hold at contraction (especially focusing on that left side).
I would also try the palm up lower cable front raise I mentioned in the last post. This would pair really good with the face pull. Again if there is anything your doing that u think may be irritating the area, sub that exercise for something else. Keep benching and dumbell pressing though. I think doing these two exercises two days before benching would take pressure off that anterior delt. Really try to pack the lats down (especially on the left side) when setting up for your presses. Breathe in and brace and stay tight letting the weight sink into your upper back and traps. Good luck!
Just curious if you know Jeff’s (AthleanX) background?

Last edited:

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't. Just know of what content I have seen over the years. He is very popular.
He’s a physical therapist and was a strength coach for several professional sports teams. I know the reason for his method of face pulls is to keep an external rotation on the rotator cuff so you don’t injury it. Not saying at all what you’re doing is wrong and not trying to sound like an asshole but I just like to pass on info if someone has some credentials and experience to back their methods. I cringe at kids doing face pulls at my gym because their form sucks and they’re trying to pull the entire stack of plates lol.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
He’s a physical therapist and was a strength coach for several professional sports teams. I know the reason for his method of face pulls is to keep an external rotation on the rotator cuff so you don’t injury it. Not saying at all what you’re doing is wrong and not trying to sound like an asshole but I just like to pass on info if someone has some credentials and experience to back their methods. I cringe at kids doing face pulls at my gym because their form sucks and they’re trying to pull the entire stack of plates lol.
I am really surprised that this guy is anything other than an underwear model. The guys form on the deadlift (for example) is terrible. So much so he has to use fake weights to show us he can lift 3 plates. It looks like he has never trained it let alone trained pro athletes?

So Jeff has "credentials" and views. And I have over 35 years of powerlifting experience with working with National and International champions and elite coaches. Moreover, I read what Op's issue was and asked him questions. Jeff did not do this. imo OP's issue is most likely due to using Jeff's weird movement which imo puts much undue stress on the rotator cuff / shoulder capsule which would lead to injury when pulling and pressing. And if OP actually did proper face pulls, I bet his problem would resolve within a 3 weeks. I only post to these types of questions when I really fell sure I can help. Its all I intend to do.
Just looking to pass on what I have found works and point out what I have found definitely does not work (and this particular video irks me to no end). I really don't care what someone's credentials are. You have to take movements out for a test drive and see where they take you. If you want shoulders that are gonna allow to press and pull big (or any) weight into 40's, 50 and 60's, don't follow this guy. There are much much better people to follow.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am really surprised that this guy is anything other than an underwear model. The guys form on the deadlift (for example) is terrible. So much so he has to use fake weights to show us he can lift 3 plates. It looks like he has never trained it let alone trained pro athletes?

So Jeff has "credentials" and views. And I have over 35 years of powerlifting experience with working with National and International champions and elite coaches. Moreover, I read what Op's issue was and asked him questions. Jeff did not do this. imo OP's issue is most likely due to using Jeff's weird movement which imo puts much undue stress on the rotator cuff / shoulder capsule which would lead to injury when pulling and pressing. And if OP actually did proper face pulls, I bet his problem would resolve within a 3 weeks. I only post to these types of questions when I really fell sure I can help. Its all I intend to do.
Just looking to pass on what I have found works and point out what I have found definitely does not work (and this particular video irks me to no end). I really don't care what someone's credentials are. You have to take movements out for a test drive and see where they take you. If you want shoulders that are gonna allow to press and pull big (or any) weight into 40's, 50 and 60's, don't follow this guy. There are much much better people to follow.
Hey I’m not doubting your knowledge at all man. A lot of guys don’t like Jeff. I don’t care who someone is or what their credentials are, I just pull from their knowledge and go for their. I totally agree with you that you He. To see what works for you. For instance some love upright rows and some trainers are totally against them. I don’t like them due to my past shoulder issues but lots of guys do them with zero issues. Just didn’t want you to think I was trying to down play you at all man. Also I may hit you up in the future on training for powerlifting. I’m 51 and will be retiring next year. I plan on doing my first meet sometime after that.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey I’m not doubting your knowledge at all man. A lot of guys don’t like Jeff. I don’t care who someone is or what their credentials are, I just pull from their knowledge and go for their. I totally agree with you that you He. To see what works for you. For instance some love upright rows and some trainers are totally against them. I don’t like them due to my past shoulder issues but lots of guys do them with zero issues. Just didn’t want you to think I was trying to down play you at all man. Also I may hit you up in the future on training for powerlifting. I’m 51 and will be retiring next year. I plan on doing my first meet sometime after that.
Sound good. Cheers.

-MVP-

-MVP-

Awards
Hey guys. I took about a week off from benching and still doing a lot for my upper back. I can update this….

1- my shoulder pain for the time being is very limited and more often than not completely nonexistent now.

2- I now warm up every pushing session with direct rotator cuff work and band pulls parts. I also make sure to do a little more for a warm up.

3- added a little more stretching into my training.

So far, this has worked well. As for the face pulls, I’ve kind of leaned away from Jeff’s advice on how to do them. I kind of alternate overhand and underhand grips and each set pull to a different area of my face and make sure I feel a good stretch in the upper back.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hey guys. I took about a week off from benching and still doing a lot for my upper back. I can update this….

1- my shoulder pain for the time being is very limited and more often than not completely nonexistent now.

2- I now warm up every pushing session with direct rotator cuff work and band pulls parts. I also make sure to do a little more for a warm up.

3- added a little more stretching into my training.

So far, this has worked well. As for the face pulls, I’ve kind of leaned away from Jeff’s advice on how to do them. I kind of alternate overhand and underhand grips and each set pull to a different area of my face and make sure I feel a good stretch in the upper back.
Awesome, keep that idea of variation going and your shoulders will stay moving well. All the best.