L5/S1 Disc re injury??

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Ok well 3 months post Disc herniation I was pain free and began training again. 3 weeks into that I got the dreaded sciatica again in my right calf and pain in Coccyx.

Waiting on results of follow up MRI, pain subsidised again within 48 hrs so am wondering if anyone has heard of possible scar tissue forming and irritating the root nerves?

DrChicken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Ok well 3 months post Disc herniation I was pain free and began training again. 3 weeks into that I got the dreaded sciatica again in my right calf and pain in Coccyx.

Waiting on results of follow up MRI, pain subsidised again within 48 hrs so am wondering if anyone has heard of possible scar tissue forming and irritating the root nerves?
Discs can be injured again

Look into McKenzie back extensions and try that route
The pain should go away in the calf and possibly get worse in the coccyx

If it helps keep doing 50-100 extensions per day

Then start strengthening the hell out of your core
Side plank
Bird dog
Glute bridge March
Are a great starting point

Also go see a good chiropractor, hopefully one certified in active release technique

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
Discs can be injured again

Look into McKenzie back extensions and try that route
The pain should go away in the calf and possibly get worse in the coccyx

If it helps keep doing 50-100 extensions per day

Then start strengthening the hell out of your core
Side plank
Bird dog
Glute bridge March
Are a great starting point

Also go see a good chiropractor, hopefully one certified in active release technique
Thanks. I've been doing all of them since the injury and they made the difference. Am wondering whether I jumped the gun too soon and re injured it. MRI result will show but I was told from a friend who's a physio it 'could' be a bit of scar tissue that's been aggravated. To be honest 3 months is still pretty early to get back 100%. Will know more this friday.