Knee Sleeves vs. Knee Wraps: Which One is Better?

Prince

Prince

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Don’t let the fear of a post-leg day limp control your workout enthusiasm. Our knees take a beating during training, but worry not — knee sleeves and knee wraps are here to provide the essential reinforcement.
Though seemingly similar, these accessories have crucial differences that can make or break your workout.
Before diving into your next squat session, it’s important to unravel the difference between knee sleeves and knee wraps. Each plays a unique role in supporting your knees, but neither should be a remedy for existing injuries. It is always recommended to prioritize your health and consult with your physician for proper recovery strategies and treatment if you have bad knees.
That said, let’s prepare to conquer your next leg day with a solid understanding of how knee sleeves and knee wraps can improve your performance and protect your knees. https://www.ironmaglabs.com/2024/knee-sleeves-vs-knee-wraps-which-one-is-better/

bkprice

bkprice

Awards
  • Established
Everyone I know that powerlifts use Wraps. People who are into general exercise or bodybuilding, uses sleeves. Wraps can take some skill to put on right and they help with heavy loads, so unless you're needing this, I would say use sleeves.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Everyone I know that powerlifts use Wraps. People who are into general exercise or bodybuilding, uses sleeves. Wraps can take some skill to put on right and they help with heavy loads, so unless you're needing this, I would say use sleeves.
I think i need more stability then the sleeves provide so ive been looking to wraps, im just trying to gather peoples Personal preferences. The sleeves are good when im boxing, wrestling or doing my higher rep BB stuff. But i think i may need to invest in wraps if im gonna keep training somewhat heavy. Ive been forced to stay under 315 on squats for a while and its getting old lol

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think i need more stability then the sleeves provide so ive been looking to wraps, im just trying to gather peoples Personal preferences. The sleeves are good when im boxing, wrestling or doing my higher rep BB stuff. But i think i may need to invest in wraps if im gonna keep training somewhat heavy. Ive been forced to stay under 315 on squats for a while and its getting old lol
If you need more stability using wraps as a crutch is a bad idea. They are going to end up being worse off for your knees in that situation because you will be trying to be overly reliant on them.

You can get thicker sleeves for more stability, but it is still going to be different than wraps and regardless I wouldn't avoid underlying issues by trying to use something to cover that up.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I want to mirror what Resolve said.

Wraps are strictly for adding more lbs to the bar or reps to your sets (sets within 10 reps though). They will choke off circulation so you can’t use them well for high-rep work. And you have to put them on, take them off, and re-roll them every set you intend to use them. Lots of effort & energy.

Neoprene sleeves are best for general training, but they also make multiply sleeves that are both very affordable AND last forever (wraps wear out & lose their stretch). These are not comfy, but they put a lot of compression on the knees when they are iffy and give some assistance similar to a light knee wrap. They hold off inflammation and pain longer than neoprene will. I probably get 20lbs out of my EliteFTS 2-ply knee sleeves, and 30 out of my Cerberus triple ply sleeves - they are pretty gangster. But I can still pull them off & on myself and wear them for over an hour at a time.

Wraps are basically something for taking maximal weights. They take forever, nevermind being painful. You are going to spend energy messing with them, so be mindful if you go that route.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I understand what you guys are saying, But I never said anything about using knee sleeves as a crutch. I don't believe I've ever used anything as a crutch.Because i'm always working on fixing things, Im already Doing everything possible for my knees other than getting the surgery that I need. All the pt and mobility stuff, healing peps ect is Minimal help though.

Personally I want to train heavy and I can't train heavy (less then 6 reps) without pain coming out the hole, There's a little.
Bit of instability where I have the torn meniscus in my left knee.

So maybe my question should be.... What do you guys suggest I use When I'm training with maximal loads in the 3 to 6 rep range. And what makes wrapss a crutch for that? Is a belt a crutch for heavy deadlifts then, I don't deadlift that much anymore.And I don't traditional dead lift at all As of the last maybe six months. But I would use a belt because if I didn't I would hurt my back going over 375

Serious questions

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I understand what you guys are saying, But I never said anything about using knee sleeves as a crutch. I don't believe I've ever used anything as a crutch.Because i'm always working on fixing things, Im already Doing everything possible for my knees other than getting the surgery that I need. All the pt and mobility stuff, healing peps ect is Minimal help though.

Personally I want to train heavy and I can't train heavy (less then 6 reps) without pain coming out the hole, There's a little.

So maybe my question should be.... What do you guys suggest I use When I'm training with maximal loads in the 3 to 6 rep range. And what makes wrapss a crutch for that? Is a belt a crutch for heavy deadlifts then, I don't deadlift that much anymore.And I don't traditional dead lift at all As of the last maybe six months. But I would use a belt because if I didn't I would hurt my back going over 375

Serious questions
A decent cut of powerlifters who use knee wraps a lot end, without taking enough training cycles out of them, end up with knee or quad injuries. Seemingly more than sleeve-only powerlifters.

The idea is that the wraps provide so much support & constriction that it inhibits knee adaptations to take place from training, so if neglected long enough the knees get weaker, not stronger, despite loading progressing over time.

Wraps would be fine for that heavy strength work, as long as you are trying to do things to keep them strong and healthier aside from the heavy lifting. Unilateral work with large ROM, TKEs and things for blood flow, etc.

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
@Smont I think sleeves would be a good idea if your knees are in need of a scope. The material of the sleeve compresses at the back of the knee (it’s like having bigger ham and calf insertions) and will help out of the hole. I will suggest to try to squat as far back on your hips and glutes as possible trying to “touch” the wall behind you. Explore ways to get pressure off the quads (knees) and leave quad work for lunges, machine presses etc.. Wraps I find give inconsistent results and it takes a while to find what wrapping method works for you and to be able to consistently apply the wrap and you need time assimilate to squatting with wraps. More of a pain in the ass imo. Sleeves are always the same from day 1.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Serious questions
I guess it is probably just differing interpretations, but in my view that is using those as a crutch.

If you can't deadlift past a certain amount without getting hurt that is definitely a crutch. It means there is something inherently wrong with your technique, coordination, or specific weakness in certain muscles in use. I view a belt a little bit different than sleeves and definitely than wraps and I generally think most people with most goals can find use out of a belt, but it shouldn't be a necessity. Someone should have to ability to lift to a max effort in various rep ranges without a belt, a belt is just going to allow most people to lift a heavier amount compared to what they can without it. If someone has a large discrepancy between what they can pull (or squat or anything with a belt for that matter) with and without a belt I'd feel there is an underlying issue they need to take care of.

That is getting outside of the discussion on sleeves and wraps this thread is on though. Regardless anyone with pain that needs a piece of equipment to lift without pain may still want to engage in using certain things if it does allow them to lift pain free, but should probably also still continue to look for underlying issues that need to be addressed to ensure they can eventually lift pain free in any scenario.

I think knee sleeves are probably a worthwhile investment for most people because they probably don't offer a ton of "aid" (outside some of those crazier comp ones out there) and even the ones that do "aid" some offer other benefits that may be worthwhile in the long run, again as long as other things are still being addressed.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I can pull just as much with a belt as without for the most part but i hurt my lower back. I have injuries that will never be fixed. Damage I did in my early twenties delivering refrigerators and such. So I have no choice but to wear the belt.Or keep injuring my lower back in the same spots over and over again.

I would say something is a crutch when you're using it to avoid Fixing a problem, but there is no fix for my lower back problems. Its a disk and Getting it fused is not an option as it may cause more problems. Same sceniro with the knee.

Soooo i guess what im getting at is a "crutch" Is something that's not necessary, But in my case some of these things are necessary because of very old injuries that will never heal.

Regardless, ive got my answers.

I'm going to continue to use my regular sleeves for my boxing and maybe running tho i did 5k yesterday no sleves,. I'm going to invest in heavier your duty sleeves for leg day. And I'm also gonna get a pair of wraps and learn how to use them for when I'm attempting maximal loads.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I can pull just as much with a belt as without for the most part but i hurt my lower back. I have injuries that will never be fixed. Damage I did in my early twenties delivering refrigerators and such. So I have no choice but to wear the belt.Or keep injuring my lower back in the same spots over and over again.

I would say something is a crutch when you're using it to avoid Fixing a problem, but there is no fix for my lower back problems. Its a disk and Getting it fused is not an option as it may cause more problems. Same sceniro with the knee.

Soooo i guess what im getting at is a "crutch" Is something that's not necessary, But in my case some of these things are necessary because of very old injuries that will never heal.

Regardless, ive got my answers.

I'm going to continue to use my regular sleeves for my boxing and maybe running tho i did 5k yesterday no sleves,. I'm going to invest in heavier your duty sleeves for leg day. And I'm also gonna get a pair of wraps and learn how to use them for when I'm attempting maximal loads.
If you intend to use wraps lifting heavy, you really wanna get some practice with them. Perhaps somewhat paradoxically, initially you want to put them on early and often, to get used to how to wrap, how tight you like them, how many times they go around at that tightness & how to tie them off.

You don’t want to put them on at your heavy/work sets for the first time ever - it ends up making them feel very awkward, and you aren’t focusing on lifting well because you are worrying about how the wraps feel. And nothing is worse than taking out a heavy weight, then one wrap pops loose - you might as well rack it and start over.

They are a tool that takes some practice to use decently. Not rocket science, but you can’t just put them on like a Slingshot and immediately make them work either.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
They are a tool that takes some practice to use decently. Not rocket science, but you can’t just put them on like a Slingshot and immediately make them work either.
it's funny you mention the slingshot because that's how I saw wraps. More as top set overloading work, rather than an all session staple whereas sleeves.... you could wear for cardio etc. I never got serious about wraps so I don't have strong opinions, that's just how I saw them.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
it's funny you mention the slingshot because that's how I saw wraps. More as top set overloading work, rather than an all session staple whereas sleeves.... you could wear for cardio etc. I never got serious about wraps so I don't have strong opinions, that's just how I saw them.
Nearly everyone who has never used wraps or other lifting equipment assumes this - that you would just put it on and get significant pounds out of it. It’s the Dunning-Kruger effect: you don’t know enough about a subject to realize what you don’t know, so we assume it’s simple.

Most people get 10-20lbs out of wraps the first time they squat in them. You have to learn how to consistently wrap aggressively, how to move so you are loading the wraps optimally, how to push into them enough to hit depth, and also build your body to adapt to the altered strength curve (unlike a raw squat that is hardest at the lowest point, wraps shift the sticking point higher up).

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You have to learn how to consistently wrap aggressively,
that's one of the reasons I never ventured into them even though they've piqued my interest a time or two. I remember @dapack posting when he was first getting into wraps and learning the curve. I feel like he mentioned a few times as he was improving on the wrap.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
that's one of the reasons I never ventured into them even though they've piqued my interest a time or two. I remember @dapack posting when he was first getting into wraps and learning the curve. I feel like he mentioned a few times as he was improving on the wrap.
It’s why I don’t compete in them. They add another layer of complexity. You have to start wrapping at the right time and get them on before your name is called to squat, but they cut off circulation and hurt as well so you don’t want them on any longer than possible. But they also take a lot of energy and effort to apply when you are least fit generally at a contest (having tapered to peak), so instead of feeling fresh you are partially fatigued from wrapping. Or you have to bring a handler to wrap you, and hope they get them how you like them & time it right for you. And then THEY get bicep tendonitis instead of you

Plenty of people do it, but I don’t think plenty of them do it well. It’s a skill.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Training Forum 31
Rocket3015 Training Forum 17
AntM1564 General Chat 3
AntM1564 Training Forum 8
Training Forum 10