Knee sleeves and belts

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never used belts or knee sleeves before. Any recommendations? Also how effective are knee sleeves, I never Squat over 315, but I'm 40 and getting more aches and pains.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm starting to use my belt and knee sleeves more often as I get older. I don't really know a ton about what brands are best, but so far I've found that I need the sleeves tight, as tight as can be without it causing pain or cutting off circulation. I typically do my warm up sets without the sleeves and once I get to a weight where I'm doing 10 reps or less I put the knee sleeves on. Same for the belt, I put it on for my heavy sets. Any weight I can handle pain free I don't wear the belt or sleeves

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never used belts or knee sleeves before. Any recommendations? Also how effective are knee sleeves, I never Squat over 315, but I'm 40 and getting more aches and pains.
A tiny bit older than you, to add for context.

Knee sleeves are very effective. The days I forget to wear them I know almost immediately into my work sets. I squatted 425 this morning, and no way could I have done so without my knee sleeves warming my knees and providing some compression.

I have been back and forth with my belt, and due to recent weight loss I am back using it in work sets. Again, it’s a major boost for top sets and will add some weight onto your maxes.

My belt is inzer , 13mm with lever, and I love it. I’ve had this for almost 10 years and it works it’s the same as new.

I’ve used SBD and slingshot elbow and knee sleeves. I think I currently have sling shot.

And I have eliteFTS wrist wraps.

No complaints for all of them. Don’t go too cheap.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been using Stoic sleeves for years, but inconsistently and I honestly need to be better because there is zero question they help with not only support, but coming out of the hole. I use 5mm. Recently I tried a pair of SBD 7mm and they are amazing feeling and offer even more support obviously, but felt restrictive during the eccentric phase. It was likely more to do with the extra thickness than anything.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I've used my rehband sleeves for years and I am 40. I won't squat without them to be honest. don't waste money on anything 5mm just go straight to the thicker 7mm. I even like mine for deadlifts and treadmill or running tbh. my 5mm wore holes in them and would slide down my leg all the time. the 7mm are perfect and like I said, probably going on 8 years old.

Belts... many ways to skin that cat but Inzer is just a good trusted brand. you can buy used already broke in or buy a new one and spend some time breaking it in. I went with buckle over lever as too many people told me they couldn't get the lever tight enough. I prefer single buckle vs the two prong style as it fits my midsection better. two prong tends to poke me in the gut uncomfortably. Mine is I believe just around 4" wide.

some people use narrower 2" (???) for deads and wider for squats. I used to. Now I just use the same size belt for both.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m 32 and I’ve been using knee sleeves for every leg session the last decade. Get some 7mm knee sleeves from a brand with good reviews - you won’t go wrong with Rehband. There are more performance-oriented brands like SBD, Cerberus, etc but they usually don’t have the longevity that I’ve found with Rehband.

Most people don’t realize that neoprene not only actively comforts via the compression and warming, but the blood being pulled into the joint via that heat also means faster recovery between training and reduced DOMS. There’s a reason Rehband and some other brands like Cerberus offer neoprene shorts as well.

If you go with a power belt, I’d advise a 13mm leverbelt that is at least $80. You get what you pay for, so buy nice or buy twice. I have a Titan leverbelt I’ve used every week for the last decade on average, and it looks as good as new. I’ve seen a lot of cheaper brands popping up lately that are powerlifting dimensions, but so cheap and flimsy you can actually bend them in half.

DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
I have the Venom neoprene knee sleeves and they are great as I'm up there as well (nearly 60) so the hurts are here for me. For a belt can't go wrong with a Rogue.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Stoic belt on Amazon, is phenomenal, especially for the price. Mines going strong at 3 years old.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Stoic belt on Amazon, is phenomenal, especially for the price. Mines going strong at 3 years old.
I have heard from multiple people that brand is very solid for the price point.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have heard from multiple people that brand is very solid for the price point.
It’s actually my first belt after years of never training with one or liking them….I got the 6mm which is perfect for my needs at the moment. Same width all the way around, none of that taper bs lol…

Not that I’m competing in anything, but the brand is IPF and USAPL approved, which was a good selling point for me!

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On the subject of belts, I forgot to bring up deadlift belts - Cerberus & Spud Inc both make great Velcro-based belts that are great lighter options than a power belt that can provide a lot of support for rows & frontsquats etc while being much more comfortable to wear through more of your training (a power belt is something you will want to take on & off constantly).

It’s actually my first belt after years of never training with one or liking them….I got the 6mm which is perfect for my needs at the moment. Same width all the way around, none of that taper bs lol…

Not that I’m competing in anything, but the brand is IPF and USAPL approved, which was a good selling point for me!
You definitely would want a 10mm or 13mm to compete at your limit, but for general training I only wear my powerbelt for heavy sets of squat & dead variations.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On the subject of belts, I forgot to bring up deadlift belts - Cerberus & Spud Inc both make great Velcro-based belts that are great lighter options than a power belt that can provide a lot of support for rows & frontsquats etc while being much more comfortable to wear through more of your training (a power belt is something you will want to take on & off constantly).

You definitely would want a 10mm or 13mm to compete at your limit, but for general training I only wear my powerbelt for heavy sets of squat & dead variations.
Which non-power belt are you using or referencing?

IMG_2979.png

IMG_2978.png

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I would be in same boat. Just wearing the belt for bb row, deals, squats

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
That Spud 2-ply deadlift belt is a good option. I use this one from Cerberus:

View attachment 227988
I used to use Velcro belts for Oly, especially snatch since the buckle can get in the way on a tight bar path but after the Velcro broke loose on me a couple times I stopped trusting them and went to regular leather + buckle full time.

That said.... This one looks better. Might be worth trying if I ever get back into Oly.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I’m 32 and I’ve been using knee sleeves for every leg session the last decade. Get some 7mm knee sleeves from a brand with good reviews - you won’t go wrong with Rehband. There are more performance-oriented brands like SBD, Cerberus, etc but they usually don’t have the longevity that I’ve found with Rehband.

Most people don’t realize that neoprene not only actively comforts via the compression and warming, but the blood being pulled into the joint via that heat also means faster recovery between training and reduced DOMS. There’s a reason Rehband and some other brands like Cerberus offer neoprene shorts as well.

If you go with a power belt, I’d advise a 13mm leverbelt that is at least $80. You get what you pay for, so buy nice or buy twice. I have a Titan leverbelt I’ve used every week for the last decade on average, and it looks as good as new. I’ve seen a lot of cheaper brands popping up lately that are powerlifting dimensions, but so cheap and flimsy you can actually bend them in half.
@Hyde I gotta start using knee sleeves because for the last week my knees have been killing me and I think it's because my strength is coming back really fast on this rebound and tge deca has pretty much cleared my system. So should I get sbd 7mm or something else based on my goals an physique which you already know about. @Smont Any recommendations as well ?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
@Hyde I gotta start using knee sleeves because for the last week my knees have been killing me and I think it's because my strength is coming back really fast on this rebound and tge deca has pretty much cleared my system. So should I get sbd 7mm or something else based on my goals an physique which you already know about. @Smont Any recommendations as well ?
I'm having some issues myself right now but i cant tell if its wear and tear or inflammationfrom being sick on and off and stress. My knees are hurting on leg press, leg ext, split squat and squats. I think I need tighter sleeves and more warm up sets.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Doesn't even have to be that heavy either. 300 on machine hack Squat was bothering me a bit too. That's probably only the equivalent to about 250 on a regular Squat for how heavy it feels

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I believe Hyde and I use the same sleeves. Mine are Rehband 7mm. I highly recommend skipping 5mm and just going with 7mm from the get go. They last forever, provide great warmth. I find that I get soreness even up in my quads when I do not wear my sleeves and I tend to wear them for everything from squats and deads, to treadmills.

That said when going through a strength cycle or massive sets (like xfit style, 50+ squats) I do have to strip those suckers down to my ankles after a workout lol. but normally I can wear them home from the gym post workout even if I'm too lazy or tired to swap shoes.

Doesn't even have to be that heavy either. 300 on machine hack Squat was bothering me a bit too. That's probably only the equivalent to about 250 on a regular Squat for how heavy it feels
Sore inside the knee or outside? When I started incorporating more/new leg accessories post squats I was getting knee stiffness with my DOMs but the stiffness felt more exterior and so I just chalked it up to normal DOMS myself and it went away like normal.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I believe Hyde and I use the same sleeves. Mine are Rehband 7mm. I highly recommend skipping 5mm and just going with 7mm from the get go. They last forever, provide great warmth. I find that I get soreness even up in my quads when I do not wear my sleeves and I tend to wear them for everything from squats and deads, to treadmills.

That said when going through a strength cycle or massive sets (like xfit style, 50+ squats) I do have to strip those suckers down to my ankles after a workout lol. but normally I can wear them home from the gym post workout even if I'm too lazy or tired to swap shoes.

Sore inside the knee or outside? When I started incorporating more/new leg accessories post squats I was getting knee stiffness with my DOMs but the stiffness felt more exterior and so I just chalked it up to normal DOMS myself and it went away like normal.
Idk, I haven't really mentally dissected it. It kind feels like the entire knee hurts, probably more on the inside. IL do some leg work again tomorrow and IL have to pay closer attention

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've used my rehband sleeves for years and I am 40. I won't squat without them to be honest. don't waste money on anything 5mm just go straight to the thicker 7mm. I even like mine for deadlifts and treadmill or running tbh. my 5mm wore holes in them and would slide down my leg all the time. the 7mm are perfect and like I said, probably going on 8 years old.

Belts... many ways to skin that cat but Inzer is just a good trusted brand. you can buy used already broke in or buy a new one and spend some time breaking it in. I went with buckle over lever as too many people told me they couldn't get the lever tight enough. I prefer single buckle vs the two prong style as it fits my midsection better. two prong tends to poke me in the gut uncomfortably. Mine is I believe just around 4" wide.

some people use narrower 2" (???) for deads and wider for squats. I used to. Now I just use the same size belt for both.
I love my rehband's too! 41 here and they definitely save my knees. Without them, my meniscus will flare up.

As far as belts, I had a nice Valeo leather belt. It lasted several years until some stitching gave and then the holes ripped. I then got a Harbinger velcro belt and didn't really like it. I definitely don't feel as stable. I recently got a Jaffick leather belt and like it so far.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you aren’t powerlifting, I wouldn’t shell out for SBD. Part of what you’re paying for with them is the brand name (which they have to pay to be certified for use in certain big powerlifting federations, and ultimately pass that cost to you the consumer), and part of it is the design focused on maximum carryover/assistance within the legal specs they are submitting approval for.

So in raw powerlifting most federations say “Knee sleeves can’t exceed these dimensions, material, thickness, so that everyone is on an even playing field and the gear isn’t helping lift more weight”. Then, everyone tries to figure out whatever they can to make something that fits those rules but somehow gives any edge, like NASCAR lol. But this means the sleeves might be a total pain to get on/off, or not last as long, etc.

Rehbands are just straight up quality, easy on, easy off, and mine have lasted a long time. Outlasted other more powerlifting-oriented brands I have, despite more routine use of the Rehbands.

Mikereyn513

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

Cool thanks Dustin I'll order some today, on legs the other day I couldn't go past 135 but I did do 5 sets of 20 so I did get a great pump so I shouldn't complain scince I'm a bodybuilder not a strength athlete or powerlifter bit i know bodybuilders use sleeves and wraps so it's not just a pwerlifting thing

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Cool thanks Dustin I'll order some today, on legs the other day I couldn't go past 135 but I did do 5 sets of 20 so I did get a great pump so I shouldn't complain scince I'm a bodybuilder not a strength athlete or powerlifter bit i know bodybuilders use sleeves and wraps so it's not just a pwerlifting thing
I don't really remember "why" I first picked up some sleeves, but they were a game changer and now I just don't squat without them. originally I was doing high volume xfit type stuff + bb on the weekends. now it's 90% strength training and I never leave home without them... good luck!

chainsaw

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you aren’t powerlifting, I wouldn’t shell out for SBD. Part of what you’re paying for with them is the brand name (which they have to pay to be certified for use in certain big powerlifting federations, and ultimately pass that cost to you the consumer), and part of it is the design focused on maximum carryover/assistance within the legal specs they are submitting approval for.

So in raw powerlifting most federations say “Knee sleeves can’t exceed these dimensions, material, thickness, so that everyone is on an even playing field and the gear isn’t helping lift more weight”. Then, everyone tries to figure out whatever they can to make something that fits those rules but somehow gives any edge, like NASCAR lol. But this means the sleeves might be a total pain to get on/off, or not last as long, etc.

Rehbands are just straight up quality, easy on, easy off, and mine have lasted a long time. Outlasted other more powerlifting-oriented brands I have, despite more routine use of the Rehbands.
I went with the rehbands 7mm for knee sleeves. Plus they were on Amazon.

Haven't found a belt yet. Looking at leverage belts but brands I don't know

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Knee sleeves are a must for me, but I never wear a belt (I also don't train very heavy)

lamarclark09

Awards
Knee sleeves are actually quite useful. I don’t remember why I thought about using them in the first place but I’m glad that I did. I heard about the stoic belt a lot and I’m thinking about getting it soon.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I went with the rehbands 7mm for knee sleeves. Plus they were on Amazon.

Haven't found a belt yet. Looking at leverage belts but brands I don't know
yeah I love those sleeves.
I really wanted a lever belt for a long time but my buddy talked me out of it cause he said he could never get his tight enough so he went back to buckle.

I prefer a single buckle thick ass leather belt personally. double buckle always pokes my gut for some reason and single buckle is just enough to let me escape it after a hard set when I'm near panicking trying to get it off so I can breath again lol

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I really wanted a lever belt for a long time but my buddy talked me out of it cause he said he could never get his tight enough so he went back to buckle.

I prefer a single buckle thick ass leather belt personally. double buckle always pokes my gut for some reason and single buckle is just enough to let me escape it after a hard set when I'm near panicking trying to get it off so I can breath again lol
I like single buckles too. I have a 10mm Rogue belt. Some say it’s too thick. I love it. I use it for squats and deadlifts. As long as it’s positioned correctly it doesn’t pinch me on deadlifts.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Can’t get it tight enough?? Either your buddy doesn’t know how to work a screwdriver to adjust the hole, or he doesn’t know how to brace properly

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
single buckle is just enough to let me escape it after a hard set when I'm near panicking trying to get it off so I can breath again lol
I thought I was the only person this happens to!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rocket3015 Training Forum 17
AntM1564 General Chat 3
AntM1564 Training Forum 8
Training Forum 10
halljo Training Forum 10