Ketone Supplements

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
Do ketone supplements such as Sparta Nutrition's Keto Shred, SD Pharmaceutical's Ketones and other BHB salt supps actually make your body use stored fat for energy instead carbohydrates and glycogen? Or do they only work whilst you're on a keto diet and in ketosis?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I didn’t see a compelling reason to, especially since most of them aren’t cheap.
I know they're not cheap, especially over here in the UK. I was reading something that suggested that taking BHB salts/exogenous ketones would switch the body's preferred energy source from carbohydrates and glycogen to stored fatty acids/lipids instead.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know they're not cheap, especially over here in the UK. I was reading something that suggested that taking BHB salts/exogenous ketones would switch the body's preferred energy source from carbohydrates and glycogen to stored fatty acids/lipids instead.
If you’re eating a normal diet or having a normal/high amount of carbs? I don’t know about that. What would your body do with all the carbs you’re taking in? The thing with keto is you’re not consuming a lot of carbs, so your body isn’t going to have to use a lot of them. But if you’re still having a lot of carbs, what will your body do with them if it doesn’t use them? Just store it all? It can’t all be stored as/in muscle.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are not in ketosis, then they won't help you. If you do get into ketosis, then they could at least supply you with energy but I don't think they are worth it, and there are far better methods for energy like 'fat bombs'. Look into ketogenics if you haven't already.

Collagen Protein would be better as well, while you are in ketosis.
If I can help further, drop me a DM.

M

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
People have stated that it does give energy when used for fasted training during IF. That's how I used it and got some boost.

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
If you’re eating a normal diet or having a normal/high amount of carbs? I don’t know about that. What would your body do with all the carbs you’re taking in? The thing with keto is you’re not consuming a lot of carbs, so your body isn’t going to have to use a lot of them. But if you’re still having a lot of carbs, what will your body do with them if it doesn’t use them? Just store it all? It can’t all be stored as/in muscle.
Is there any way or supplement to make your body use more stored fat for energy instead of stored glycogen during fasted training?

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Is there any way or supplement to make your body use more stored fat for energy instead of stored glycogen during fasted training?
First off, I am not a scientific expert on the ketones as fuel process. But I have successfully used a Keto diet to lose 60 lbs in four months and have experimented with 1) a low-calorie (800 per day) low-carbohydrate, low-fat, and high protein diet; and 2) a low-calorie (1300 per day), low-carbohydrate, high-fat, and high protein diet; and 3) a low-calorie 1000 per day), low-carbohydrate, low-fat, and moderate protein diet.

My nutritionist (and personal experience) tells me that sub-dermal fat burning ketosis is only possible once you have depleted your glycogen and are limiting your calories, including protein calories.

Humans have four “buckets” of fuel sources (in order of the body’s preference), 1) carbohydrates, 2) glycogen, 3) protein, 4) fat). If you consume too much fat and protein in your diet the body converts the protein to glucose and the consumed fats into ketones to use as fuel. In short, you need to be in a severe calorie deficit in order to burn sub-dermal fat.

Of course, everyone is different and some people may not digest, absorb, and synthesize fat as efficiently as others. So consumed fat may not be available for conversion to ketones.

There are sources on the internet that help explain these processes. Unfortunately, as a newbie I can’t post them.

I hope this helps.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
First off, I am not a scientific expert on the ketones as fuel process. But I have successfully used a Keto diet to lose 60 lbs in four months and have experimented with 1) a low-calorie (800 per day) low-carbohydrate, low-fat, and high protein diet; and 2) a low-calorie (1300 per day), low-carbohydrate, high-fat, and high protein diet; and 3) a low-calorie 1000 per day), low-carbohydrate, low-fat, and moderate protein diet.

My nutritionist (and personal experience) tells me that sub-dermal fat burning ketosis is only possible once you have depleted your glycogen and are limiting your calories, including protein calories.

Humans have four “buckets” of fuel sources (in order of the body’s preference), 1) carbohydrates, 2) glycogen, 3) protein, 4) fat). If you consume too much fat and protein in your diet the body converts the protein to glucose and the consumed fats into ketones to use as fuel. In short, you need to be in a severe calorie deficit in order to burn sub-dermal fat.

Of course, everyone is different and some people may not digest, absorb, and synthesize fat as efficiently as others. So consumed fat may not be available for conversion to ketones.

There are sources on the internet that help explain these processes. Unfortunately, as a newbie I can’t post them.

I hope this helps.
Great post, but I have just one question... In your avatar you are in a hospital room attached to various lines of support striking a pose. Uhm.. Aside from being badass, I just gotsta know. What. How. What?

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Great post, but I have just one question... In your avatar you are in a hospital room attached to various lines of support striking a pose. Uhm.. Aside from being badass, I just gotsta know. What. How. What?
LOL! Thanks for asking!

I passed out when peeing at 6am one day. After a full day of tests in the emergency room, neck brace, MRI, and 20 stitches in my head the doctors diagnosed me with micturition syncope. That is when urination causes a vasovagal nerve response resulting in a neurologically induced drop in blood pressure.

The theory is that the vasovagal nerve misinterprets the urine leaving the body for a person bleeding out. When injured and bleeding out from a deep wound, the body—via the vasovagal response—will slow down the heart rate and reduce the body’s blood pressure. This can extend life for a few minutes.

It’s a nice evolutionary protection from serious wounds! But sometimes the body misinterprets signals. This was my first time. My doctor said, “Just don’t pee with your knees locked and it shouldn’t happen again. Or just sit down when you pee.” LOL!

Now, I always pee standing up with my knees bent.

Fun facts to know and share!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That happened to my wife. She works at the hospital lol.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
FYI. I had my wife take that photo to send to the kids when telling them I was in the hospital. Didn’t want them to worry.
I didn’t know females could have the same condition! We learn new things every day! Thanks for sharing!