Keto for 30 day or nah

Gabe95

Awards
I'm thinking about doing a Keto Diet for 30 day. I'm 5'7 254 pounds and I'm having a hard time losing weight. From my research Keto may play a negative effect on both your testosterone and thyroid, but I'm at the point where I'm beginning to believe that I may be some what insulin resistance due to gaining a little more belly fat. Also from my research I found out that Keto was good for people dealing with insulin resistance and obesity (being 5'7 and 254). My main goal is to lose 50 pounds and be somewhere at a lean 200 pounds, Should I Try it? Thoughts

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why don’t you go to the doctor to find out about your insulin?
Have you tried maintaining a consistent diet roughly based on your tdee, tracking your food intake, and then slowly reduce calories after a couple of weeks?
Sometimes we aren’t honest with ourselves about our diets and the little slips here and there that we think don’t make a difference sometimes do. I’ve found that, for me, “little” slips here and there are Sometimes major slips.

redtrek

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just eat less and move more. You don't need a special diet. Besides, your lifting will go to **** without carbs.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I'm thinking about doing a Keto Diet for 30 day. I'm 5'7 254 pounds and I'm having a hard time losing weight. From my research Keto may play a negative effect on both your testosterone and thyroid, but I'm at the point where I'm beginning to believe that I may be some what insulin resistance due to gaining a little more belly fat. Also from my research I found out that Keto was good for people dealing with insulin resistance and obesity (being 5'7 and 254). My main goal is to lose 50 pounds and be somewhere at a lean 200 pounds, Should I Try it? Thoughts
Get your A1C and Fasted Insulin Tested.
Also get your Free & Total Test drawn if you have issues diagnose it from the ground up and figure out if there is an problem.

Allotting calories will be a minor issue if there is an underlying issue that needs taken care of first.

Gabe95

Awards
Man Preach!!!!!
But I had a physical in September and they found some abnormalities in my liver and that I had high cholesterol (High Bad and Low Good). They test for Cancer and Hemp C and the found nothing. I also had a ultra sound reading of my liver and it came out normal. I just not my body is Changing and I need to know. I don't just want to say its age, I just don't know what it is. Thanks for you reply btw

Gabe95

Awards
Thank You, I have just started a job where I'm sitting more at a computer and unlike my 20's where I would train twice a day, I'm training like 30mins weight and 30mins Cardio in the morning and training my girlfriend in the afternoon, I'm not sure if that's my issue but I would throw it out the window.

Gabe95

Awards
Get your A1C and Fasted Insulin Tested.
Also get your Free & Total Test drawn if you have issues diagnose it from the ground up and figure out if there is an problem.

Allotting calories will be a minor issue if there is an underlying issue that needs taken care of first.
Thank You

Gabe95

Awards
Just eat less and move more. You don't need a special diet. Besides, your lifting will go to **** without carbs.

Thank You, I have just started a job where I'm sitting more at a computer and unlike my 20's where I would train twice a day, I'm training like 30mins weight and 30mins Cardio in the morning and training my girlfriend in the afternoon, I'm not sure if that's my issue but I would throw it out the window.

Gabe95

Awards
Why don’t you go to the doctor to find out about your insulin?
Have you tried maintaining a consistent diet roughly based on your tdee, tracking your food intake, and then slowly reduce calories after a couple of weeks?
Sometimes we aren’t honest with ourselves about our diets and the little slips here and there that we think don’t make a difference sometimes do. I’ve found that, for me, “little” slips here and there are Sometimes major slips.
Man Preach!!!!!
But I had a physical in September and they found some abnormalities in my liver and that I had high cholesterol (High Bad and Low Good). They test for Cancer and Hemp C and the found nothing. I also had a ultra sound reading of my liver and it came out normal. I just not my body is Changing and I need to know. I don't just want to say its age, I just don't know what it is. Thanks for you reply btw

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you are insulin resistant, it isn't from carbs - it is from caloric overload. For all they hype on the internet that keto is good for insulin resistance - high fat diets are NOT good for insulin resistance.

Mowglisml had a gentle way of putting it. I'm not gentle. If you are not losing weight then you are either not weighing and tracking your food - or you are weighing and tracking and you know exactly why you are not losing weight.

As complicated as we all want to make dieting, losing weight boils down to two factors that determine 95% or more of the results - caloric intake and protein intake. If you are weighing and tracking then you know where you stand and can adjust. If you aren't weighing and tracking, when you don't get results you don't know why. When we THINK we are trying, but not getting results and have no idea why, I know that frustrates the heck out of me and makes me look for answers anywhere I think I can find them and then when those "answers" are wrong I just quit. I mean, that's human nature. If you do something and it doesn't work, why would you keep trying?

Here is what works. Weigh your food. Log it. This is THE basic skill set for dieting. If you are not willing to commit to this, you are not committed.

Also, as much as everyone says "it's insulin resistance", "It's low thyroid", "it's low testosterone" - I am gonna call BS in 98% of the cases out there. Sure, get tested - it can't hurt to have information. But if I have to put $5 on it right now - the smart money is going to say it's not your hormones because it's not in 98% of the cases. It's simple lack of the basic dieting skills above.

If you weigh and log, and you don't lose weight, you can come back and say, "Hmmm, I didn't realize I was eating 2,800 calories a day. I thought I was at 2,500." Or you will realize, "I'm eating 2,500 calories/day and my weight is not going down! I didn't realize I only need 2,000/day to lose weight." Or, even better, "I didn't realize that I'm eating 2,000 calories/day 6 days of the week - but every Saturday I go out with my buddy and we eat a pizza and appetizers and beer and I didn't realize that meal had 3,000 calories in it and wiped out an entire week's worth of dieting!!"

99% of the time, one of those 3 scenarios come up and a log that is as accurate as possible will help you learn and find it and adjust. Without it, you are floating in the ocean without a map.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, why 30 days? You have, likely almost 80-100 pounds to lose, how long do you think that is going to take?

(I am assuming you are natural and not on PEDs. If so, then maybe you have a little less to lose, but still)

Gabe95

Awards
If you are insulin resistant, it isn't from carbs - it is from caloric overload. For all they hype on the internet that keto is good for insulin resistance - high fat diets are NOT good for insulin resistance.

Mowglisml had a gentle way of putting it. I'm not gentle. If you are not losing weight then you are either not weighing and tracking your food - or you are weighing and tracking and you know exactly why you are not losing weight.

As complicated as we all want to make dieting, losing weight boils down to two factors that determine 95% or more of the results - caloric intake and protein intake. If you are weighing and tracking then you know where you stand and can adjust. If you aren't weighing and tracking, when you don't get results you don't know why. When we THINK we are trying, but not getting results and have no idea why, I know that frustrates the heck out of me and makes me look for answers anywhere I think I can find them and then when those "answers" are wrong I just quit. I mean, that's human nature. If you do something and it doesn't work, why would you keep trying?

Here is what works. Weigh your food. Log it. This is THE basic skill set for dieting. If you are not willing to commit to this, you are not committed.

Also, as much as everyone says "it's insulin resistance", "It's low thyroid", "it's low testosterone" - I am gonna call BS in 98% of the cases out there. Sure, get tested - it can't hurt to have information. But if I have to put $5 on it right now - the smart money is going to say it's not your hormones because it's not in 98% of the cases. It's simple lack of the basic dieting skills above.

If you weigh and log, and you don't lose weight, you can come back and say, "Hmmm, I didn't realize I was eating 2,800 calories a day. I thought I was at 2,500." Or you will realize, "I'm eating 2,500 calories/day and my weight is not going down! I didn't realize I only need 2,000/day to lose weight." Or, even better, "I didn't realize that I'm eating 2,000 calories/day 6 days of the week - but every Saturday I go out with my buddy and we eat a pizza and appetizers and beer and I didn't realize that meal had 3,000 calories in it and wiped out an entire week's worth of dieting!!"

99% of the time, one of those 3 scenarios come up and a log that is as accurate as possible will help you learn and find it and adjust. Without it, you are floating in the ocean without a map.
Thanks For That
its just a matter of Discipline

Gabe95

Awards
Also, why 30 days? You have, likely almost 80-100 pounds to lose, how long do you think that is going to take?

(I am assuming you are natural and not on PEDs. If so, then maybe you have a little less to lose, but still)

I'm natural and it was just 30 days just to try it out, I'm really not to fun of the the low carb diet

Gabe95

Awards

I'm natural and it was just 30 days just to try it out, I'm really not to fun of the the low carb diet

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Do you even read your own writing? If you don't tolerate a low carb diet, your mood sucks, and energy/performance suffer why would you do it?

Listen to your body.. if you work better on carbs, create a deficit, be consistent and let time do its part.
Don't follow a cult or a lifestyle that you don't agree with, nor does your body accept

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well I was going to say a few things in here but all of my boys came in and ironed it out for you. Well done Gentlemen @Mowglisml @HIT4ME and @The Solution!!!!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think you should focus on the logging and think about what The Solution said. Dieting isn't about being all good or all bad. It is about developing small habits that become easy over time and give you constant progress.

The log helps because you start to see YOUR patterns, good and bad. Over time you will start to learn that you have, for instance, 3 or 4 options for lunch that you get used to that fit your calories and macros and it becomes habit and doesn't feel like dieting anymore.

For instance, fat me used to eat take out a lot. When I started dieting I ate much differently than I do now. But over time my log revealed things I could do to increase compliance.

As an example, I would eat chicken and broccoli and try to make it as low calorie as possible. It became boring and bland and while will power would allow me to stick to it, I one day realized that I had room in my diet for 70 calories with of bbq or other sauce, which makes me feel like I am not even dieting.

Start with the basics and build good habits.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just did it for 3 months and lost 12kg (26Ib)

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think you should focus on the logging and think about what The Solution said. Dieting isn't about being all good or all bad. It is about developing small habits that become easy over time and give you constant progress.

The log helps because you start to see YOUR patterns, good and bad. Over time you will start to learn that you have, for instance, 3 or 4 options for lunch that you get used to that fit your calories and macros and it becomes habit and doesn't feel like dieting anymore.

For instance, fat me used to eat take out a lot. When I started dieting I ate much differently than I do now. But over time my log revealed things I could do to increase compliance.

As an example, I would eat chicken and broccoli and try to make it as low calorie as possible. It became boring and bland and while will power would allow me to stick to it, I one day realized that I had room in my diet for 70 calories with of bbq or other sauce, which makes me feel like I am not even dieting.

Start with the basics and build good habits.
This is probably the best advice in here.

If you aren’t losing you aren’t eating right and tracking can help remedy that, but regardless of what you choose to do you’ll need to find the things that allow YOU to stick to it and build the habits for long term success. Not just success losing but keeping the weight off in the future.

I’d also say if you don’t like low carb don’t do Keto, you can lose keeping some in the diet as long as everything is in check overall.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There is no point in doing keto for just 30 days. It’s likely to take at least 30 days to become fat adapted in the first place and the time spent getting to that point isn’t really all that fun. Makes zero sense just to get to that point and then stop there.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That’s not necessarily true. Check out Lawrence Ballenger. He’s sponsored by Muscletech and primarily eats keto.

redtrek

Awards
  • First Up Vote
That’s not necessarily true. Check out Lawrence Ballenger. He’s sponsored by Muscletech and primarily eats keto.
I admit, I know some people have the right genetics and are totally fine with any level of activity on keto. Whether Lawrence got to where he is from keto or not, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do believe though that keto is almost always poor general advice. I think it only excels across a wide range of people in very specific circumstances.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I admit, I know some people have the right genetics and are totally fine with any level of activity on keto. Whether Lawrence got to where he is from keto or not, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I do believe though that keto is almost always poor general advice. I think it only excels across a wide range of people in very specific circumstances.
I think ol’ Lawrence prob has done a cycle or two in his days as well! Lol! I was on keto when I got back in the gym in June. Came off keto in September as a convenience to my wife. She also got back in the gym as well and it’s much easier meal prepping when you’re eating close to the same foods. Keto isn’t her thing. She doesn’t like fatty meats. I may go back on keto in the spring to cut some fat after a winter bulk. I get really lean on keto and my energy is through the rough. After I’m fat adapted I’ve found I can increase my protein and not have any issues.