Just started TRT, but dose seems low

Eckoteer

Awards
He started me at only 100mg/wk. I go in 4-6 weeks for more blood work. Is that dose normal to start with? Will he likely up the dose after my blood work? My T level was 236.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
That is pretty much standard for most family doctors, a TRT clinic will usually start a bit higher. Make sure after your 4-6 week you tell the Dr. how you feel and if you want your levels higher than they are tell him !!

botk1161

botk1161

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am 55 and on 100mg which brings me into the upper range. 100mg is the normal starting dose and I would say the normal TRT dose.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
He started me at only 100mg/wk. I go in 4-6 weeks for more blood work. Is that dose normal to start with? Will he likely up the dose after my blood work? My T level was 236.
Your t level was 236 before trt or it was 236 while on 100mg?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And 100-150mg is pretty standard range for trt. All the clinics putting people on 250-300 are prescribing low dose steroid cycles.

But, a good Dr. Will base your dose on the numbers. If 100mg only puts you at 236 then he is definitely going to raise it. From everything I've seen, a good doctor is going to get your numbers somewhere between 600-1000 and there going to base some things on how you feel

Eckoteer

Awards
And 100-150mg is pretty standard range for trt. All the clinics putting people on 250-300 are prescribing low dose steroid cycles.

But, a good Dr. Will base your dose on the numbers. If 100mg only puts you at 236 then he is definitely going to raise it. From everything I've seen, a good doctor is going to get your numbers somewhere between 600-1000 and there going to base some things on how you feel
The friends I have in TRT all take at least 200mg/wk. So, I was wondering if that was normal. Also, I feel like crap. Fatigue, no libido, gaining weight, etc. I'm hoping this will help.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The friends I have in TRT all take at least 200mg/wk. So, I was wondering if that was normal. Also, I feel like crap. Fatigue, no libido, gaining weight, etc. I'm hoping this will help.
My trt is 150 and my levels are in the 900's for most ppl 200mg will actually put you over the range. Seems like doctors do one of two things lately, start you on 100 mg and wait and see what happens or start you on 200 mg and wait and see what happens. Also just so you know it can take a solid 6 months before they dial in your dose correctly so it's just kind of part of the process you need to go through.

The actual mg amount doesn't mean much. Your testosterone levels are what matters and how you feel.

Hang tight.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And gaining weight is your diet, not your testosterone levels, you can have 0 testosterone and loose weight, calories in vs. calories out.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know someone is gonna chime in and say low test and high estrogen will lead to more fat gain, that is true. But fat doesn't magically appear, you have to provide your body with an excess of calories in order for it to gain body fat/weight and you need a caloric defect to lose weight or lose body fat

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
OP just remember, it can take up to a year to get your protocol dialed in. Be patient, then once you’re dialed in, add what you want from there.

Eckoteer

Awards
My trt is 150 and my levels are in the 900's for most ppl 200mg will actually put you over the range. Seems like doctors do one of two things lately, start you on 100 mg and wait and see what happens or start you on 200 mg and wait and see what happens. Also just so you know it can take a solid 6 months before they dial in your dose correctly so it's just kind of part of the process you need to go through.

The actual mg amount doesn't mean much. Your testosterone levels are what matters and how you feel.

Hang tight.
Thanks

Eckoteer

Awards
OP just remember, it can take up to a year to get your protocol dialed in. Be patient, then once you’re dialed in, add what you want from there.
What do you mean by "add what I want"? For example, if I wanted to do a prohormone or steroid cycle, wait until I'm dialed in first, is that what you're saying?

Eckoteer

Awards
I know someone is gonna chime in and say low test and high estrogen will lead to more fat gain, that is true. But fat doesn't magically appear, you have to provide your body with an excess of calories in order for it to gain body fat/weight and you need a caloric defect to lose weight or lose body fat
Also, should I have him check my estrogen, and if so, when? Is that something I need to be worried about on TRT?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you mean by "add what I want"? For example, if I wanted to do a prohormone or steroid cycle, wait until I'm dialed in first, is that what you're saying?
Exactly. If you start a cycle now on top of your TRT, you wouldn’t know what to adjust if you start having sides and what not. Also the beauty of TRT is if you blast or do a cycle you don’t have to PCT. You just go back to your TRT does and you’re good. But if you aren’t dialed in you wouldn’t know where to drop to.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, should I have him check my estrogen, and if so, when? Is that something I need to be worried about on TRT?
Yes. If your dr knows what he’s doing as far as hormones he should do a complete CBC, thyroid, total test, free test, E2 (estradiol), pregnenolone, DHEA, Vitamin D3, and cholesterol. I think that’s about it. If he doesn’t do that or says it’s not needed, run and find another Dr that knows what there’re doing. It took three different dr’s for me to find one that knew what they’re doing. Find an integrative medicine practice near you or even ask your local pharmacist a practice that prescribes a lot of testosterone.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yes. If your dr knows what he’s doing as far as hormones he should do a complete CBC, thyroid, total test, free test, E2 (estradiol), pregnenolone, DHEA, Vitamin D3, and cholesterol. I think that’s about it. If he doesn’t do that or says it’s not needed, run and find another Dr that knows what there’re doing. It took three different dr’s for me to find one that knew what they’re doing. Find an integrative medicine practice near you or even ask your local pharmacist a practice that prescribes a lot of testosterone.
Good Advice !

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Here in Europe, majority of TRTs are 250mg every 3 weeks (I know it’s not optimal but that’s the standard protocol here). So basically it’s about 80mg per week. And this put majority of people in mid/high range. I’ve seen many blood works and here people on 125mg per week are above normal range, like 1200-1400.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Here in Europe, majority of TRTs are 250mg every 3 weeks (I know it’s not optimal but that’s the standard protocol here). So basically it’s about 80mg per week. And this put majority of people in mid/high range. I’ve seen many blood works and here people on 125mg per week are above normal range, like 1200-1400.
That’s old and outdated protocol. Too many highs and lows with it. Half life of test cyp is roughly 6 days at the most. It’s much better to have a more stable level than drastic highs and lows. Also it’s much easier to control E2. I understand is the standard in Europe and I hate that for you guys. I’m surprised Europe isn’t more advanced in TRT.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That’s old and outdated protocol. Too many highs and lows with it. Half life of test cyp is roughly 6 days at the most. It’s much better to have a more stable level than drastic highs and lows. Also it’s much easier to control E2. I understand is the standard in Europe and I hate that for you guys. I’m surprised Europe isn’t more advanced in TRT.
Maybe, but it works for majority of patients without impacting their quality of life. Many men prefer to have less injections.

Also here very few men need TRT. Majority of men even old, are naturally within the ranges. And for those who need TRT, the equivalent of 80mg or one injection of 250mg every 3 weeks keeps them in the range. And because of the low dose the fluctuation seems to be less important. I’m not on TRT so I can’t judge myself.

Last edited:
brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
125mg per week put me in the 500’s.
Doc bumped it to 150 in order to get me to 700’s.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Dick-Hertz

Dick-Hertz

Awards
Dont worry what others take. Many say "TRT" to just about any dose these days. Its falling into high-normal range, that real TRT.
Taking 300 mg's and testing at 1500>. Thats a cycle.

Start at 100, see where it gets you next bloods. I like being in the 800-range for total test, so I take 1/2 a CC to get me there. (125 mgs).

Samboy65

Awards

You seem knowledgeable on this and I’m new. I am just starting 0.17ml three times per week. What is that in mg? So total mg for the week? Thanks

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You seem knowledgeable on this and I’m new. I am just starting 0.17ml three times per week. What is that in mg? So total mg for the week? Thanks
If I’m doing my math correctly, .17 ml would be 170 mgs.

Drolball

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Is your test 250mg/ml or 200mg/ml?

Samboy65

Awards
If I’m doing my math correctly, .17 ml would be 170 mgs.
That still seems too high though compared to what I am seeing. It’s my first week so I’m sure it’s starting lower than that