Jswain's training log for powerlifting

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ah yeah me too. Saw something on insta the other day about how RPE is supposed to be 1-12 but I've always scaled it 1-10 myself (seems far more intuitive) but wanted to clarify.

Nice final set of squats!
Thats interesting...I’ve read a lot of RTS stuff over the years and never once heard anything about it being 1-12. Tuscherer & RTS are the ones who really popularized the RPE scale so imma go ahead and stay with what they say on it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thats interesting...I’ve read a lot of RTS stuff over the years and never once heard anything about it being 1-12. Tuscherer & RTS are the ones who really popularized the RPE scale so imma go ahead and stay with what they say on it.
I’m convinced Mike T is a wizard.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Meadows uses 11 and 12 for RPE scale to denote intensity techniques that go past failure. Can't remember if he uses 12, but I know he uses RPE 11 in his programs for sets that end with drops/partials/etc.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think Meadows uses 11 and 12 for RPE scale to denote intensity techniques that go past failure. Can't remember if he uses 12, but I know he uses RPE 11 in his programs for sets that end with drops/partials/etc.
Ah, so each # over 10 would indicate a forced rep beyond the point of failure. That makes sense to me then.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Can you drop a link for the band stomps? I’ve searched YouTube “band stomps” or a variation of and I’m not finding anything (or I don’t think it’s what I think it is lol). Thanks I’m advance!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can you drop a link for the band stomps? I’ve searched YouTube “band stomps” or a variation of and I’m not finding anything (or I don’t think it’s what I think it is lol). Thanks I’m advance!
Its in donnie thompson’s “post squat day” video. You literally just choke a band on a crossbar (i use the yoke xbar, but have used pullup bars in the past), put your foot in the loop, and stomp down to the ground. Like when fit chix in commercial gyms use the assisted dip stations to work their glutez.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Its in donnie thompson’s “post squat day” video. You literally just choke a band on a crossbar (i use the yoke xbar, but have used pullup bars in the past), put your foot in the loop, and stomp down to the ground. Like when fit chix in commercial gyms use the assisted dip stations to work their glutez.
BroTip: Those are great tricep pressdown machines too. Do your dips to fail, then flip the assist pad up and finish smoking off the side tris with pressdowns.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w3d4

Skipped OHP because it was a deload & my L AC has been kinda shît for a few weeks. Like crepitus with shoulder circles and the like. Didnt really make the association somehow until things started feeling better this past week after didnt push OP much last week. Totally removed the movement this microcycle and ill put in a mesocycle with the log starting next micro.

Deads felt good today. I was getting much better pre-tension in the hams than I had been getting and this helped my wedge a ton. Gonna move to 15x1 EMOM starting next week - my technique on singles is what I need to improve on the most. Historically if i could pull something once i could pull it twice maybe 3 times.

1. Conv DL (tech)
135/185/225/275x5
325x3x4
325x5

2. LM SL/unil RDL
105x10x3

Ss/

3. Spud 45 degree seated pulldown
105x15x4

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w4d1

Wu:
45 degree spud pdown: 105x15x2
Tri X extension: choked mini x20x2
Unil band decline fly: choked mini x20x2

1. Comp bp (pinky on ring)
45/95/135/185/225/265x5
300x2x4@8/8/8.5/8.5
[email protected]

2. 2 bd wider than comp grip bp (ring on ring)
295x3x3@8/8.5/8.5

3. RD fly
25x10x2

Sa/

4. Hammer curl
40x15x2

The fam and I are planning on enjoying the nice day and going for a nice long trail walk this afternoon. I hope everyone has a good one today.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w4d2

WU:
Dynamic
Kabuki wall glute activation
Bw squats
Bench dead bug

1. Squat
45/95/135/185/225/275/305x5
335x2x4
335x10@8

2. Pause squat Mid bar placement
275x6x3

Gonna finish the accessories in the morning before work.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w4d2 accessories

Donnie hang

Band stomp: H x30x3 - 1st 2 straight through then 2m break before hitting last set.

BO Bench Supp Meadows Row: 110x12x3
Ss/
Ab roll: x8x3

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w4d3

WU:
Band stomp: heavy x20x2
Facepull + ER: looped micro x35x3
Standing oblique crunch: looped mini x25x2

1. Standing log push press
70x8
100x5
120x6
150x6
170x6 (+ belt & elbows)
190x6+ —> [email protected] - couldnt get the pin height correct to where i didnt have to do a full depth front position pin squat to get it up but also wouldnt hit them on my dip for the push press. It felt like my leg drive was hindered due to that possibility being in the back of my head, but like i say below - it could have just been the funkiness of the log.

150x6x2 strict FSL

2. Hammer curl (ss/ FSL)
45x15x2

3. SA Tri Ext
20x25x4 (2 sup, 2 pron)

4. Facepulls in warmup

Intended to do this yesterday before work but just didnt make it happen. Log felt a little fonky but its a fonky implement so ill adapt to it in a couple of microcycles.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The band stomps before deadlifts have been a blessing lol things have felt GREAT. So, I’m greatful for that little nugget in here (among other things.)

I have a synergee rack on order boiii can’t wait (was only $380 before tax) finally going to join you and Hyde with home gym thangs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What Log do you have?

I have ordered the Fringe spotter arms and they should be coming early May

The band stomps before deadlifts have been a blessing lol things have felt GREAT. So, I’m greatful for that little nugget in here (among other things.)

I have a synergee rack on order boiii can’t wait (was only $380 before tax) finally going to join you and Hyde with home gym thangs.
That’s awesome!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Super glad to hear you have found them helpful! I think theyd be a great way to warm up and start engraining the “push through the ground” cue everyone likes to talk about for conv pulls.

Heck yah! Nice man! Post some pics once you get the rack up.

What Log do you have?

I have ordered the Fringe spotter arms and they should be coming early May

That’s awesome!
The 10” titan log I bought Jan 2020, or maybe it was 2019 even.

Nice. I love them. Figured out another use for them today even - OHD tris with the band looped through the little opening at the very end of them.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w4d4

WU:
Kabuki wall glute activation
Stomp: H x20
Band GHR: avg x15
Band crunch: quad Mon Mini x20

Conv
330x1x15 goal 60s rest - got fasting bloodwork done today and even though i tried really hydrating before this i still felt like i was close to blacking out at the top of pretty much every single one of these. Therefore, i wasnt as good about keeping it to 60s rest like i normally am. Bloods in combination with how extremely low cals were for me yesterday really took it’s toll. Cals were low bc i got slammed at work, never ate lunch, and had about 1/3 the size of dinner portion I usually do because it was past the time I wanted to stop eating for to prepare for bloods.

Just gonna focus on finish accessories tomorrow.

Edit:

Bench GHR: looped MM assist x10x2
Ss/
Pull through: avg x20x2

Spud cable 45 degree pulldown: 110x15x3

Forgot how bad the bench GHRs/Nordic HS curls suck.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M4w5d1

WU:
W1. Spud cable row: 110x15x2
W2. Tri ext: looped micro x30x2
W3. SA band fly: choked mini x20x2

1. Comp bp
45/95/135/185/225/255x5
280x2
305x2x4
305x3@10 F4 -> fail out...conveniently, it’s time for a deload anyway. Will lower my e1rm whether i stick to 5th set or not after this meso.

2. 2 bd press
[email protected]/9.5/8.5

3. RD fly
25x10x2

Ss/

4. Hammer curl
45x15x2

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sometimes you have to roll it back and take a load off. Kinda sucks but it’s always nice in a way too.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sometimes you have to roll it back and take a load off. Kinda sucks but it’s always nice in a way too.
Been doing that far more than necessary over the last year or two.

Including this past week.

Havent done any strength training since i failed out of bench last week.

Today I did

1. 16” Box Squat
185 vs doubled minis x3x10 w/ 60s rest

2. Hamstringer seated leg ext:
Mini x20x2

3. Hamstringer laying HS curls
Doubled micro x12x2

4. Gnarly Handle BO Landmine row
90x12x3

At least it was something. Sure beat nothing.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some good work in here J!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
10 min timer each of the first 2 supersets - max work in allotted time. Last superset I just did 3 sets.

1a. Band stomp:
Heavy x30x2

Ss/

1b. Gnarly Handle LM press
90x10x2

2a. 45 deg spud cable row
110x15x4

Ss/

2b. Ohd tri ext
Looped micro x20
Looped mini x20x2

3a. Rear delt fly
25lb x10x3

Ss/

3b. Spider curl
25x10x3

Took a sample pack of High Volume. It would definitely be my go to pre with a caff tab if pumps didnt ef up my strength work. The stuff always hits.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dead deload

WU:
15m with the fam
Band stomp: heavy x20x2

1. RDL
45/95/135/185/225x10
w/ reverse looped minis
225x10 way too much band assist
w/ reverse choked minis on xbar pin
225x10 better
275x10x3

2. Spud hamstringer leg extension
Looped micro x20x2

3. Spud cable 45 deg pulldown
115x15x4

Ss/

4. Ab rollout
Bw x8x3

Leaning towards moving away from 5th set upper work, thinking of seeing if i can make a PM layout work for me on bench where I work up to a x1-3@8 each session then do backdown work based off that. I just fear that this will take too much time so I’m going to have to put a time cap on the back down work and stay very diligent about timing rest periods working up.

Staying 5th set on lower with squats being the lift ill use the 5th set protocol on, deads will stay as a modified technique protocol where i do x1x15 e60s.

2nd press day...still havent fully decided. I just need to do something that doesn’t bug my L shoulder. I know barbell OP doesnt fit that criteria, but Im leaning towards seeing if I can get some solid time in (ie ~2 mesos) under the log without irritating it.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As long as you set strict time caps on the working up and back downs you will be gold. It also helps prevent overreaching.

Herder said when he visited Westside on a max effort bench day, none of the guys sat down at all between sets and all had reached their top single for the day within 20-30 min. They really tried to keep the workup moving.

The time I went to Wenning’s gym for max bench day, it was similar. As soon as it was your turn you were under the bar and they kept it going fast.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1w1d1

WU:
Band Fly: choked mini x20x2
Band RD X fly: minix20x3
Ohd tri: looped mini x15x2

1. Comp bp (x1@8, 75%x5x3) (pink on ring)
45//95/135/185/225x5
255x3
285x1@6?
305x1@7-8 (kept it conservative first week back)
245x5x3@6/8/7

2. WG bp (50%x8-10x3) (pointer on ring)
170x10x3@6/9/7.5

Ss/

3. Lateral raise
25/20 (22.5) x12x2

40 mins start to finish. Thats what im talkin about. Probably will end up throwing some tri iso work in at the end if i keep that time up.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W1d2

WU:
Bird dog: x5x2 w/ 10ct
Plank: x2 for some time
Side plank: x20-30s x2

1. Comp squat
45/95/135/185/225/275x5
315x3
350x2x2 (misload)
340x2x2
340x4 @ note

I was stubborn and worked through some “discomfort” in my left L5-S1 area today. It definitely had my L glute inhibited some. I just took the minimum reps to not fail out and moved on.

Have to finish tonight after work. Will do:

2. FSL squat (just took #s from 5/3/1 calc) nixed, will do some leg extensions.
Looped micro x20x3

3. LM rows
110x12x3

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As long as you set strict time caps on the working up and back downs you will be gold. It also helps prevent overreaching.

Herder said when he visited Westside on a max effort bench day, none of the guys sat down at all between sets and all had reached their top single for the day within 20-30 min. They really tried to keep the workup moving.

The time I went to Wenning’s gym for max bench day, it was similar. As soon as it was your turn you were under the bar and they kept it going fast.
That's one good thing I've gotten out of the gym being appointment only out here in Austin: I've got to keep the pace up. No time for laziness when they throw you out at a designated time.