Jswain's training log for powerlifting

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bro its next level for ME days, especially if you dont use it regularly. The effects still occur with regular use but you just dont feel it as much until you stop taking it.

I dont know how you do with stims but I personally will not take it with any additional stims on top of caffeine. I cant even imagine taking a bronk on top of some of these new exotic stims out there.
I’ll definitely be giving it a look. As I get older I rely less on stims. My biggest issue with most stims (and exotics) is appetite suppression. I hate having to force feed sand down my throat. Sure you are riding a wicked nasty pump but it is self defeating if it’s so difficult to feed and refuel. I even had to stop using full blitz because yohimbe does not agree with me anymore. Now I just pop a caffeine pill if I really need a boost.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Apparently I need to pop my bronk cherry....
Bro its next level for ME days, especially if you dont use it regularly. The effects still occur with regular use but you just dont feel it as much until you stop taking it.

I dont know how you do with stims but I personally will not take it with any additional stims on top of caffeine. I cant even imagine taking a bronk on top of some of these new exotic stims out there.
Absolutely the best stim, after caffeine, for a serious strength athlete. I mean aside from anabolics, but it’s a phenomenal push for intense training days. Like @jswain34 said it’s best used intermittently so you can feel it - like the cleanest energy you can imagine with enhanced breathing function. Better than DMAA or the like due to less sides and the consistency of OTC product. It will still hit appetite though.

Ephedrine, caffeine, creatine, choline, Noopept, huperzine A is an incredible performance/focus and skill acquisition cocktail.

I began using 10mg Noopept the last 4-5 months PreWO on days with SBD and think the enhanced technique learning (coupled with the CAT training) had a definite benefit in my improving so much this meet prep.

My preWO cocktail this prep eventually settled on 1 sv of Focus XT, 1/2 sv of Juice Daddy, 10mg Noopept, 10mg Cardarine, 25mg Ephedrine, 3g creatine mono, B complex.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Absolutely the best stim, after caffeine, for a serious strength athlete. I mean aside from anabolics, but it’s a phenomenal push for intense training days. Like @jswain34 said it’s best used intermittently so you can feel it - like the cleanest energy you can imagine with enhanced breathing function. Better than DMAA or the like due to less sides and the consistency of OTC product. It will still hit appetite though.

Ephedrine, caffeine, creatine, choline, Noopept, huperzine A is an incredible performance/focus and skill acquisition cocktail.

I began using 10mg Noopept the last 4-5 months PreWO on days with SBD and think the enhanced technique learning (coupled with the CAT training) had a definite benefit in my improving so much this meet prep.

My preWO cocktail this prep eventually settled on 1 sv of Focus XT, 1/2 sv of Juice Daddy, 10mg Noopept, 10mg Cardarine, 25mg Ephedrine, 3g creatine mono, B complex.
Perfect. I was about to ask about interaction with cardarine as I’ll be starting that tomorrow. Thanks man!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone have any good trustworthy references on cardarine? I’m interested in starting some supplementation other than staples at some point soon so I wanna start researching a few things.

Edit: also, is that the supp that has had some (bladder?) cancer “risk” (i think I remember it being extremely small or even questionable if it was real) associated with it?

Double edit:

Answered my own Q:

“Warnings/Precautions (for pioglitazone, a PPAR gamma agonist used in DM) (note: cardarine is a PPAR delta/beta agonist)

Concerns related to adverse effects:
• Bladder cancer: An FDA review concluded that although clinical trial data are inconsistent regarding the risk of bladder cancer in patients exposed to pioglitazone, there is still the potential for an increased risk and package labeling has been updated to reflect this. Avoid use of pioglitazone in patients with active bladder cancer and consider risks versus benefits prior to initiating therapy in patients with a history of bladder cancer.
• edema...
• fractures....
• heart failure...
• hematologic effects ...
• hepatic effects...
• hypoglycemia
• macular edema
• weight gain: Dose-related weight gain observed with use; mechanism unknown but likely associated with fluid retention and fat accumulation”

Interestingly, the bladder cancer warning isnt present when I look up rosiglitazone, which is also in the thiazolidinedione class.

Additionally:

View attachment 195843
View attachment 195844

those doses are way higher than what ive seen people using & it also sounds like duration of supplementation played a big role in the observed carcinogenicity.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dbl

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This seems slightly sketchy...

“Claire B. Pollock et al., (2010) [15]

Pollock et al., 2010 described a gastric tumour mouse model that is dependent on the potent and highly selective PPARδ agonist cardarine (GW501516) following carcinogen administration. The progression of gastric tumorigenesis was rapid as determined by magnetic resonance imaging and resulted in highly metastatic squamous cell carcinomas of the fore-stomach within two months. Tumorigenesis was associated with gene expression signatures indicative of cell adhesion, invasion, inflammation, and metabolism. Increased PPARδ expression in tumours correlated with increased PDK1, Akt, β-catenin, and S100A9 expression. It is important to note that the dose of GW501516 used in the present study is equivalent to daily oral doses of 3–10 mg/kg that were previously shown to specifically enhance PPARδ-dependent fatty acid oxidation in mice in previous studies. In addition, PPARδ agonist GW7042, which is almost identical to GW501516 in structure, potency, and specificity, was inactive in inducing gene expression in PPARδ knockout mice.”

Although, again, 3-10 mg/kg would be 330 mg/day for me and people stay under 20mg as far as Ive seen.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anyone have any good trustworthy references on cardarine? I’m interested in starting some supplementation other than staples at some point soon so I wanna start researching a few things.

Edit: also, is that the supp that has had some (bladder?) cancer “risk” (i think I remember it being extremely small or even questionable if it was real) associated with it?

Double edit:

Answered my own Q:

“Warnings/Precautions (for pioglitazone, a PPAR gamma agonist used in DM) (note: cardarine is a PPAR delta/beta agonist)

• Bladder cancer: An FDA review concluded that although clinical trial data are inconsistent regarding the risk of bladder cancer in patients exposed to pioglitazone, there is still the potential for an increased risk and package labeling has been updated to reflect this. Avoid use of pioglitazone in patients with active bladder cancer and consider risks versus benefits prior to initiating therapy in patients with a history of bladder cancer.
• edema...
• fractures....
• heart failure...
• hepatic effects...
• hypoglycemia
• macular edema
• weight gain: Dose-related weight gain observed with use; mechanism unknown but likely associated with fluid retention and fat accumulation”

Interestingly, the bladder cancer warning isnt present when I look up rosiglitazone, which is also in the thiazolidinedione class.

Additionally:

View attachment 195843
View attachment 195844

those doses are way higher than what ive seen people using & it also sounds like duration of supplementation played a big role in the observed carcinogenicity.
I just got 5 grams raw powder from supreme labs. Will be starting tomorrow. Think I’ll go 330 mg to fast track my death

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Double edit:

Answered my own Q:

• edema...
• fractures....
• heart failure...
• hepatic effects...
• hypoglycemia
• macular edema

Additionally:

View attachment 195843
View attachment 195844

I just got 5 grams raw powder from supreme labs. Will be starting tomorrow. Think I’ll go 330 mg to fast track my death

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They do have a code for 30% for the rest of the month. “AM30”

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Imma test my rats with it soon so I'll let ya know
I hope neither of your rats suffer from ill effects. Those doses are huge so hopefully its a non-issue. As Paracelsus is attributed to saying - “The dose makes the poison”, so hopefully the doses being used dont cause these problems.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yesterday:

Day 1.3 (RE Bench Press)

WU:
Dyn stretch

Following done between sets of E1
Band PA: MM x20x3
Glute Bridge: x15x2
Dead bug: x8 each leg x2

E1 – ~60 deg WG Incline Press (5x10 reps w/ ~50/55/60/65/70%) (pointer on ring), (last: 45/95x10, 135x10, 155x10x2, 175x10x2)

45/95x10
135x10
155x10
165x10
175x10
180x10

It was nice to be able to go up in 5-10lb increments now that i have the 2.5s & 5s.

E2. Arnold Press (3-5x10)
35x10x2
40x10

Ss/

E3- Incline bench headrest chest support NG db row (3-5x10-15)
45 per hand x15, x12, 12
_____

Finished accessories today with the 5x20 on band pushdowns & facepulls.

So I know I’ve done a ton of program hopping lately but im thinking I may switch to 5th set and just keep both the lower compounds on the “maintenance” technique/speed protocol. He also has a “low recoverability” template that i think is basically made for me right now lol. I dont think I can trust myself to stay as conservative as I am realizing I need to. I will do that for one mesocycle and then re-evaluate whether i think I can switch one to the 5th set protocol or just continue with another microcycle (edit: mesocycle) with maybe +2.5-5% in the name of gradual progress.

This idea just came to me yesterday since im still dealing with the ramifications of last squat day’s top set - definitely increased discomfort in the left L5-S1 & SI Joint. Its not set in stone, im just kind of trying to figure out a good, systematic way to go about this.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5th Set could be a good way to recover better and keep you on track while making it harder to find excuses to just not train - it’s so flexible and really low demand over all. I can usually flex a session forward or back a day since it’s not married to days of the week and always has a day or 2 off between sessions. Especially when the baby comes!

The rats given Cardarine all were on it for like 2 years straight. And although their doses were huge, you need to calculate out the HUMAN EQUIVALENT DOSE. This value only ends up being about 50-60mg/day depending on bodyweight of the human.

SO if sticking to 10mg for 8-12 weeks at a time, or just pre-training how I use it for a comp cycle to off-set endurance lost while being on cycle/gaining weight, you are still using only 20% of the dose for 1/8th the duration MAX.

Lastly, 2 years is nearly all of the rats normal adult lifespan. So it would be like a human taking a substance from the time they were 18 until 70 years old! I don’t know of any medications that are used lifelong where folks don’t run into issues after several decades of use.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
^ if i have literally any hope or desire to getting back to where I once was I need to commit to a long term plan that’s sustainable and has a proven track record - this is exactly what 5th set offers.

Also, thanks for the education on cardarine and reminder about the HED...i hadnt thought about that in years so i forgot to take that conversion into account.

Random day

Back was still nowhere near 90% even but i still wanted to do something. I’ve settled on sumos @72.5% for 5th set protocol keeping my AMRAPS held to a strict form standard, standard 5th set set up for bench (will be using floor press for my “comp lift”, and the squat technique protocol for the first 5th mesocycle.

RKC Fw plank x15sx2
Bird dog x10 rep + 10 ct hold final rep
Side planks x30s x2
couch stretch x30s
Hip distraction flexor stretch: x20sx2
Glute bridge: x20 w/ 10 ct hold final rep
Dimmel dead: x20 w/ bar

Sumo DL off .75” foam mats
135x5
185x5
225x5
255x3x3

PT GMs:
Avg x15x3

Ss/

Banded dead bug:
Vs mini x10 per
Vs MM x8 p/l, x10 p/l

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Made the move to 5th set.

M1m1d1 - “Bench”

Floor Press
45/95/135/185x5
215x5
240x5
260x2x4
260x12

I took the average e1rm from the best and worst sessions I’d had in the last 6 weeks for my starting e1rm to base the 77.5% calculations off of. Looks like I either had another good day or truly underestimated my e1rm. Im just going to continue with the standard 5lb/micro progression as I’d rather leave myself room given I wont be setting a true 1-3 rep PR for a couple months.

Arnold Press
30x10
35x10x2

Ss/

Lateral raise
17.5 front /12.5 back x15x2

Ss/

Rear delt raise
20x15x2

Band fly
Mini x15
Mm x15

Ss/

Hammer curl
35x12x2

Edit: also, back is back to about 90% - almost to its baseline. Should be good to go for technique squats in 2 days. I’m going to try my Oly’s out to see if it helps.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Something Swede mentioned on the EFS podcast when he was on was that it’s realistically fine if you accidentally choose a training max that’s too light and are exceeding 10 reps on the AMRAP. You can just bump it up some the next mesocycle instead of waving back completely per usual, or if going into the peaking block you will obviously set significantly higher true training maxes. Either way, it’s self-regulating.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Something Swede mentioned on the EFS podcast when he was on was that it’s realistically fine if you accidentally choose a training max that’s too light and are exceeding 10 reps on the AMRAP. You can just bump it up some the next mesocycle instead of waving back completely per usual, or if going into the peaking block you will obviously set significantly higher true training maxes. Either way, it’s self-regulating.
I also am keeping in mind something wendler said in one of the 5/3/1 books...it went something along the lines of “if you start low and work up its like when trying to run through a door the most efficient way to do it is to start 5-10-15 feet away and build up some momentum via sprinting towards it vs trying to run through it when you’re starting 6 inches away from it to begin with”. Thats a loose paraphrase but you get the point.

I was essentially planning on doing exactly what you laid out given my current position with the lower lifts. Im hoping there will be gradual progress on those where i can slowly increase my maxes and thus working %s without taking a real ME lift. So, i guess its good to know Swede put his blessing on my desire to do that and continue to be within the constructs of the program.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m1d2

WU:
5 min treadmill walk @2.5mph w/ medium fit chick band around ankles
Fw rkc plank: x15sx2
Side plank: 8 reps w/ 10s hold last rep x2
Bird dog: x10 reps w/ 10s hold last rep x2
Hip airplane x5 per side
Band distraction hip flexor stretch: x30sx2 each side
Glute bridge: x20 w/ 10ct hold last rep

Squat (Low recoverability)
1. (Main): squat (alt b/t high & low bar positions)
45x8
95x5
125x5
145x5
(Belt)
165x3x5 (3 high, 2 low)

2. (MSM) Narrow stance 2” above pllel box sqs: 2x15
135x15
155x15

3a. Poor Man’s Rev hyper: 3x20
Legs x20x3

Ss/

3b. Row variant: 3x10
75/85/95 x10

4. duffin UR row: 2x15
25x15x2 -> used a heavy band for the strap and it worked fine.

5. Calves: 70 rp reps each leg aiming for as few clusters as possible with as many SL as possible.
x70 each leg - 30 SL + 40 both legs same time

I have to admit, high to mid bar position felt better than low bar. Its almost to the point where i dont even know whats going to feel best on a given day until i get under the bar. With that said, im going to plan on continuing to alternate sets of hb and lb position on these technique days to see if i can start to notice a trend. The main goal is pain free squats, regardless of the bar position that allows that.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m1d3 - 2nd pressing

Swede recommends starting with 50-52.5% 1rm on this day but I remembered it kicking my ass the last time i ran 5th set. I originally was planning on 45% but this morning when i woke up decided to try 47.5. Should’ve stuck with 45%...im very bad at high rep lifting as im essentially completely untrained at it.

1. WG inc bp - 3 ramp sets x15, 2x25 @47.5%
45x15
75x15
95x15
115x25
115 x15 -10s-> x5 -10s-> x5 (each of these clusters was @9.5)

2. Db Rolling tri ext (2x12) (goal = 1st v easy)
30x12
35x12

3. SA Band tri ext: 4x25 (1st 2 udhd, 2nd 2 ohd using same weight)
Halved Micro x25x2 udhd 90s rest
Halved Micro x25x2 OHD 60s rest

Made 2 loops out of the single band by putting it through the loop on the yoke pin at the band’s midpoint.

4. Band FP w/ ER: 3x30 w/ 60s rest
Micro x30x3 - started a half step further back on the first set then moved up for the last 2.

Had the same micro set up as with the tri ext.

90/90 breathing x5m
Figure 4 wall stretch x2m each leg

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m1d4

Sumo DL (low recoverability): programmed to be 72.5%x3x4 w/ 5th set.

WU:
5m treadmill walk w/ black bow tie
RKC plank: 15s x3
Copenhagen plank: x6x3 w/ 8ct hold last rep
Bird dog: x8x3 w/ 10ct hold last rep
Band distracted hip flexor stretch: x30sx2
Glute bridge: x20x2 w/ 10ct hold last rep

1. (Main): Sumo DL off 1” foam mat
135/185/225/275x5
305x3x4
305x15@5

Zero pain with or following any of those pulls. I was powerful off the floor and absolutely could’ve handled more weight, but im trying to keep the governor maxed out for a mesocycle. Prior to the AMRAP i was going to estimate that it felt like ~60% and thats about where the AMRAP worked out to be. But, to reiterate, my rep maxes of >3 reps typically correspond to a bit higher than my true 1rm. So, I wanna say 500 would be there but I dont want to find out. I just want to get into a rhythm of consistently hitting lower body training without pain before I really push one of the lifts.

2. (MSM) Dimels: 3x15 w/ red cerb hip halo below knees
135x15x3

3. Pull through: 3x20
Pro Light x20x3

Ss/

4. Paused Ab rollout
x8x3

5. Forefoot elevated Calf raise: 50 reps in as few clusters as possible
20 single leg each leg
30 both legs same time

Calves were still very slightly sore going into these calf raises so im going to be paying for doing them come Thursday. Probably doing the dante pullups & hammer curls tomorrow...but might just skip for this microcycle since im moving the back work from squat day to day 1 with bench. Stuff just kept coming up that I needed to address & it ate into my workout time.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would stick with your plan for the meso. Let the training be perfect and too light. Your body needs time without pain to really unlock its potential anyway.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My back felt fantastic upon waking this morning. The best it has since the post-squat flare up a few weeks ago. Then I was warming up to complete yesterday’s session with some dynamic stretching & hip airplanes. On my 4th or 5th rep of airplanes on my L leg there was a sudden sharp pain in my L lower back when I got “fully open” and it has pretty much “locked up” on me again. That was a few hrs ago. I have done 2 rounds of TENS/IF on it, 1 round of donnie hangs, & 10-15 monster band deloading squats (hang band like for donnie hangs, wrap under armpits, squat).

So frustrating.

Edit: im actually starting to think that this pain is really in my left hip and just radiates to my L SI area. I suppose thats good news. But it doesn’t hurt any less. When i drive I have to get really close to the steering wheel as the pain lessens with my hip flexed like it would be close to the wheel vs being extended out further if I were further from the wheel. Doing some banded figure 4s now to see if that helps.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Sorry to hear this.

I have this feeling that I am most vulnerable to usage issues the day after a lower session. So I try hard to just let my body be tight for the day after, at least the lower part. If I stretch immediately post-training while warm, great, but either way once it’s got cold I like to just let it all stiffen up and give it a day to rest/heal before I ask anything else of it.

Maybe for a bit going forward just walks the day after lower are in order? Or maybe mandatory cardio like that prior to any attempted mobility? Like a significant 15+ min walk? I’m just throwing out ideas how I might approach it.

I definitely noticed this last winter in the warehouse gym doing mobility in the cold gym after driving in my cold car at 6am I can literally get “hurt” doing mobility. I need to get the body warm enough to even mobilize, to warm up!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It is what it is, man. I just cant believe it was fugging HIP AIRPLANES that injured me lol. How god damn fragile is my body becoming.

The good news is that i get a TON of temporary relief after doing the figure 4 stretch with my L leg. Lasts a while it I stay up and walking but once I lay or sit down its pretty much gone once I get up.

I think youre spot on with limiting the day after lower work to JUST donnie hangs & dedicated walking. The fugged up part is that I was just trying o warmup to do 50 pullups and 30 curls. Lol. Its just so fukked up. Im the anti anti-fragile.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I feel you. The stronger I get the more fragile I have come to feel. Probably from aging and training mileage but I really want to be doing this for a long time so hopefully it doesn’t get too much worse too soon.

I wonder how guys like Dan Bell do it, lifting so heavy so often and competing so often. For honestly a long time, not just like a year or two.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I feel you. The stronger I get the more fragile I have come to feel. Probably from aging and training mileage but I really want to be doing this for a long time so hopefully it doesn’t get too much worse too soon.

I wonder how guys like Dan Bell do it, lifting so heavy so often and competing so often. For honestly a long time, not just like a year or two.
That's why I'm a srs bodybuilda now. A lot easier on these beat up joints and soft tissues.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Clamshells would’ve never betrayed you like this! Lol

Big bummer dude. Maybe the walking for active recovery?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Man, I cant imagine it being any worse. I wont lie, before I realized it was my hip and not my back, i was already thinking about just belt squatting and trap bar deadlifting for the rest of my training days. It’d take a ton of getting used to, but fugging up your back and being miserable and in pain over and over when youre 28 is bullshit. I’ve walked back off that ledge a ton since having that thought though.

That's why I'm a srs bodybuilda now. A lot easier on these beat up joints and soft tissues.
Now if only it were anywhere near as enjoyable...

Clamshells would’ve never betrayed you like this! Lol

Big bummer dude. Maybe the walking for active recovery?
Haha . Shoulda know the airplanes would come back to get me after I talked about them as if they were so benign in your log! The walking is definitely in the plans. My fiancé loves going on walks and I typically do go with her a few times a week (id guess 3). They’re probably 15-30 mins..i just dont log them.

Update: things have loosened up quite a bit. Im definitely not out of the woods at all but I can at least stand up from sitting, walk, & ALMOST bend over to pick something up off the ground without significant discomfort. It’s definitely still there, but nowhere near the “oh fug...i really did it this time” pain I had for the first 4-5 hours after it happened.

Will do some more banded figure 4 stretching tomorrow. I have to drive back to my parents in Indiana tomorrow afternoon so we’ll see how the hip handles a 2.5 hr drive. Gonna start get microcycle 2 going with day 1 in the AM before I head out.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey, man, not being in pain every morning when I get out of bed is pretty enjoyable to me.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m2d1 - “bench”

WU:
Figure 4: L x5m, Rx2m
Treadmill walk w/ bow tie x10m @ 2.2 mph
Dead bug: x8x2 vs mini
Side plank: x30sx2
Bird dog: x8x2 w/ 10ct hold last rep
Band PA: MM x20x2
After 1st cycle of dbs/side plank/bds I did band distracted hip flexor stretching for x30s each leg then went through for the second time.

1. Floor press
45/95/135/185/215x5
245x3
265x2x4
[email protected]

Stayed on the floor and mashed the left lateral hip finding that the most severe TPs were located inferiorly, approximately around where your find the piriformis. I also did 2-3 rounds on my L QL which also needed some work.

Had planned to add in the rows to this session but by the time I warmed up and got through my 5th set the session had already been going for 80 mins with all the stuff I added for my hip.

2. Arnold Press (3x10)
35x10x2
40x10

Ss/

3. Hammer curl (2x12)
35x15 (thought I was doing sets of 15)
40x12

4. Lateral raise (2x15)
17.5/12.5 x15
20/15 x15

Ss/

5. Rear delt raise (2x15)
20x15x2

Everything after floor press took 10 min.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Are you using different weights on lateral raises for your left and right side?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Are you using different weights on lateral raises for your left and right side?
Nah. I have the bowflex selectec dbs (have had em for 6 years now...definitely didnt spend the insane amt of $ theyre going for now) so the 17.5/12.5 actually equates to 15lb but the load is just distributed more towards the front to help cue “pour the milk out”.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Dan bell is not human.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dbl

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m2d2 Squat (Low recoverability)

I wont say the hip is at 100% but after spending an hour mashing it with a lax ball last night while watching a movie, the figure 4 stretching ive been doing, and the warmup it felt good enough to get some work in.

Figure 4 stretch x2m each side
Treadmill walk: 7m @ 2.5mph
Circuit
1. Rkc plank x15s x2
2. Side plank x30sx2
3. Bird dog x8x2 w/ 10ct last rep

Squat
45x8, 75x5, 105x5
125x3x5

video of 1st set. I think things look okay...other than not locking down my anterior core letting my rib cage flare open.

Had planned to get back up to 165 at a minimum & 170 per the progression if things felt okay, but it didnt feel like my back was up to it today. Took a lot for me to not allow my ego to keep adding weight to the bar. Pain free squats, week after week.

(MSM) Narrow stance 2” above pllel box sqs
145x15
155x15

duffin UR: 2x15
25x15x2

Happy to say there were no setbacks in this session. Doesnt look like much in terms of sets x reps or weight...but, such is life currently.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Happy to say there were no setbacks in this session. Doesnt look like much in terms of sets x reps or weight...but, such is life currently.
Looks like you had a day without pain that you got to squat - that’s worth something!

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Looks like you had a day without pain that you got to squat - that’s worth something!
Amen, brotha! The primary objectives were definitely achieved. The only way to get back to where i was is to consistent “bad pain” free squatting, and thats what was accomplished today.

The day I squat over 518 in sleeves or pull over 622 is going to be a fugging glorious day.

My bench blockz 2-5 board and deadlift wedge came in today too. Man, that bench blockz feels sturdy. Im glad I went with that over the shoulder saver. I was expecting it to feel kind of cheap but its far from it.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Bench blox are dope. Only used a handful of times but loved it!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you can add 10lbs a microcycle to your squat for 6 months, that’s ~180lbs to your working weights and the kind of weights I was using with the escalating density CAT training I was using for about 2 months prior to the 5th Set mesocycle I started blasting, regaining weight, and directly preparing for competition where I squat 617.

Yes I had a 30lb weight swing, and do I feel that I get more out of PEDs than the general rule of 10%, but I don’t think it would be out of the realm of reason for you to manage PRs within a year with a legitimate plan.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m2d2 pt 2

Treadmill walk: 10m x2.5 mph

1. Poor Man’s Rev hyper: 3x20
Legs x20x3

Ss/

2. Bench supported Meadows row 3x10
Wu: 55x10
85x10
95x10
100x10

3. Calves: 70 reps
Alternating SL for 2x15 then 1x10; then last 30 with both legs.

Wasnt going to do the rev hypers the day after if there was any sign of a flare up from squats, but even before the 12 min walk and especially after everything felt great. The only inkling of pain was during meadows rows when my left leg was kicked out the side with my right knee kneeling on the bench.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you can add 10lbs a microcycle to your squat for 6 months, that’s ~180lbs to your working weights and the kind of weights I was using with the escalating density CAT training I was using for about 2 months prior to the 5th Set mesocycle I started blasting, regaining weight, and directly preparing for competition where I squat 617.

Yes I had a 30lb weight swing, and do I feel that I get more out of PEDs than the general rule of 10%, but I don’t think it would be out of the realm of reason for you to manage PRs within a year with a legitimate plan.
I hope to hell youre right. Its been a couple years now where ive been hoping to be within a year of setting new PRs...really pretty insanw how fast time can move when youre in the injure/ re-injure cycle.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
M1m2 Day 3

WU:
5m walk on treadmill
Rkc plank: 2x15s
Bird dog: 2x8 w/ 10ct last rep

Fp + ER
Micro x30x3 w/ 45s rest

1. WG inc 2 board bp - 3 ramp sets x15, 2x25 45% 1rm
45x15x2
75x15
95x25x2 - up by 5 next micro.

I took 20lbs off from last week to just start hitting the goal reps. Used the bench blockz, & other than one of the ends smacking me in the chin a couple reps it worked great.

2. Db Rolling Tri ext
30x15
35x15

3. Chin/pull up: 5x10
Bw x10x5

4. Spud ext tri ext: 4x25 (2 sup, 2 pron)
25x25x2 udhd
25x25x2 ohd

5. Hammer curl: 2x15
35x15x2

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hope to hell youre right. Its been a couple years now where ive been hoping to be within a year of setting new PRs...really pretty insanw how fast time can move when youre in the injure/ re-injure cycle.
This hits a lil different when you relate.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This hits a lil different when you relate.
We’ll get through it bro. Yesterday I skimmed back through my log and I was saying the same **** about my left hip/SI/L5-S1 in 2017. Was hoping to set PRs within a year then too...of course a lot of “life” stuff happened then but I most definitely didnt go about it in the best way. In hindsight I wish I had just taken it ultra slow and kept it ultra conservative...its almost guaranteed Id be further along than I am now.

Its been quite a long time since ive been “strong”. One of these days I’m going to look back through my log to see how long its been since ive even put over 400lbs on my back and squatted it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
We’ll get through it bro. Yesterday I skimmed back through my log and I was saying the same **** about my left hip/SI/L5-S1 in 2017. Was hoping to set PRs within a year then too...of course a lot of “life” stuff happened then but I most definitely didnt go about it in the best way. In hindsight I wish I had just taken it ultra slow and kept it ultra conservative...its almost guaranteed Id be further along than I am now.

Its been quite a long time since ive been “strong”. One of these days I’m going to look back through my log to see how long its been since ive even put over 400lbs on my back and squatted it.
Don’t get in your own head!

Strength is a journey, and the way is winding and fraught with perils and pitfalls, dead ends and tests of will. Anyone who’s ever made it through the initial months of a 5x5 where you can no longer just add weight to the bar knows it’s not really linear.

You cannot change what you’ve done, but every day - right now - you can choose to put your best foot forward. To focus on your rehab, and prehab. To be hydrated and well-fueled. To have a plan of attack for every training session, and to be willing to modify that when life gives you lemons to make the best of what you have.

Remember to train your mind as well. Visualization, self-affirmation, realistic goal-setting all serve to directly promote progress to a greater goal. Believe in yourself!