Jswain's training log for powerlifting

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's like 1121 a week in Texas. Unfortunately, you can't just quit your job and qualify otherwise I'd be taking a 3 month vacation before law school lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's like 1121 a week in Texas. Unfortunately, you can't just quit your job and qualify otherwise I'd be taking a 3 month vacation before law school lol
Man...im all for helping people out in a sincere time of need but 4-4.8k/mo seems a little excessive for unemployment unless at least half of it is going towards rent each month like it would in NYC, etc.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Edit: double posted. Both workouts are below.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2x

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 3.3 - pull 2 - 5/14

No WU. Had to rush to get this one in.

1. GM vs bands (x8-12 then one x12 myorep x3 cluster w/ heavy)
Light x12
Avg x12
Heavy x12 + 4 clusters of 3

2. 1-2ct pause Pronated grip chest supported db row (2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set)
35x8
45x8
52.5x8 -> x4 -> x4

3. Band straight arm pulldown (each arm has its own band)
Choked minis x10
Choked mms x12 + 4 clusters of 3

4. Db hammer curl (2x8-10 3-5ct ecc, 1 work set of 8-10 slow reps holding stretch 2s then max stretch @ end)
Skipped.

Just a little bit of work today. More of a recovery day than anything.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 4.3 - push 2

WU
Piriformis mash w/ lax ball
Dyn stretch
Donnie hangs
Treadmill walk vs mini + one of fiance’s thin bands around ankles x7m
Side plank: x30s x3
Dead bugs: vs MM + 3ct hold x8 per leg x3

1. Floor Press
(2-3 Ramp sets @ mod diff then x4-6 w/ double reps in rest pause fashion) ([email protected] last week)
95x6
135x6
185x6
225x6
(+ cerb 7mm elbows)
265x4
[email protected] -15s-> x2 -15s-> x1x4 w/ 15s b/t

2. Zercher split squat / stationary lunge (1-2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps then x8-12 to failure w/ x3 clusters) (R leg first)
95x10
135x10
175x12 -15s-> x2 clusters of 3 (arms & core burned out well before my legs)

3. Seated band OH tri ext (1-2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps with a slow eccentric & 2ct pause, then 1 work set of 8-10 reps to failure (slow tempo), and finally hold the stretched bottom position.
Both arms vs mm around yoke peg behind me
One arm vs mini “ “
One arm vs MM x10 4/2/2/2 tempo

Switched the setup trying to get a better stretch position. These did the trick.

4. Seated Single arm pec fly (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure, f/b x3 clusters w/ 15-20 seconds of rest in between)
(Same setup as above but just doing a fly instead of tri ext)
Mini x12
Mm x12 + 4 clusters of 3 +2

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Whatever you should be getting normally, they’re adding $600 in IL is my understanding. I freaked out when I found out - you can’t just print money like that and not expect it to bankrupt us and mega inflate the economy. This is going to have some lasting repercussions.

I’m encouraging my stepdaughter to save as much as she can to pay for a new used car or to move out when she wants after she finishes school.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Whatever you should be getting normally, they’re adding $600 in IL is my understanding. I freaked out when I found out - you can’t just print money like that and not expect it to bankrupt us and mega inflate the economy. This is going to have some lasting repercussions.

I’m encouraging my stepdaughter to save as much as she can to pay for a new used car or to move out when she wants after she finishes school.
Well, IL is already basically bankrupt as far as I know so who tf knows what theyre gonna (try to) do about it long term.

Thatd be the smart thing to do for sure. I thought students werent qualifying for this stuff? Saving or investing it is what I would have done with the 1200 they sent out had the whole thing not had to be used for the box truck and trailer.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 5.3

Wu:
Kabuki breathing sequence
Side planks: 2x30s
Treadmill walk: x5m vs mini

1. Pendlay row (pointer on ring) (2-3 warmups of x4-12 then 1 x4-6 rest/pause double set)
95x8
135x8
175x8
205x8
235x5 -15s-> x2 -15s-> x2 -15s-> x1

2. RDL (2 prep sets of 6 of moderate difficulty & one all-out heavy double rest/pause set - x4-6 -15s-> x2-3 -15s-> x1-2)
Vs quadded micros pulling bar away
135x10
185x6
(Belt, straps - bar has basically zero knurl)
225x6
265x6
315x6 -15s-> x3 -15s-> x2

3. Yoke pull-up (1-2 warm-up sets of 6 reps, then 1 work set to failure, f/b as many micro-sets of 3 reps as possible with 15-20 seconds of rest in between)
Bw x6
Bw x6 (+ Mm band assist)
Bw x 6 (FAIL) -> x2 -> + MM band assist x2

4. Bb reverse curl (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure followed by x3 clusters)
45x10
65x10
85x10 -15s-> x3 clusters of 3 (15s b/t) -> x2

5. Bw rev hyper on barbell
Bw x15

Those reverse hypers work absolutely fantastic for working up a turd.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well, IL is already basically bankrupt as far as I know so who tf knows what theyre gonna (try to) do about it long term.

Thatd be the smart thing to do for sure. I thought students werent qualifying for this stuff? Saving or investing it is what I would have done with the 1200 they sent out had the whole thing not had to be used for the box truck and trailer.
She’s 18 so she qualified for unemployment due to COVID19.

I bet those barbell reverse hypers felt awful on your belly lol

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
She’s 18 so she qualified for unemployment due to COVID19.

I bet those barbell reverse hypers felt awful on your belly lol
Ah, gotcha.

I had a yoga mat wrapped around the bar + a thin pillow over where my ASIS sit on the bar and it was still uncomfortable. Im trying to figure out if i want to spend the extra money someday to get one of the GHR + rev hyper combos or just a simple GHR but i dont have enough positive experience with a Rev Hyper to really decide. Not getting much useful experience from this setup either.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 6.3

Dyn stretch
Treadmill walk vs mini x5m
Band PA: mini x20, MM x20x2
Donnie hangs

1. ~60 deg incline WG bp (pointer on ring) (x2-3 warmups then x10-12 w/ x3 clusters)
45x12
95x12
135x12
175x12 + 3x3 clusters (15s b/t) + 2 (touched chest on x12, clusters were spoto)

I kept the bench at 60 deg which did still have my head hanging off the top but i upped the rep scheme to x12 instead of x8 to lower the weight some. I also did spotos last week but touched to increase the ROM this week, we’ll see if the ACs can handle it.

2. Anchored/spanish band goblet squats (1 warm-up sets of 6 reps, then 1 work set of 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 w/ 10s b/t)
Bw x8
40x1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8 w/ 10s b/t vs doubled light behind knees (band wrapped 1/2 turn around post at midpoint with each loop around leg)

3. Db front raise (1-2 WU x10-12, 1 myo rep x10-12 d/b x3 clusters)
25x12
30x6
35x12 + 2 clusters of x3 + x2

4. Udhd Band Tri ext (3x30)
Micro through yoke lock pin (each arm gets 1/2 the band) x30x3

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Have been playing around with the idea of just running the cube for the foreseeable future once i can do actual deadlifts again. Cant flat bench right now either but i could always just do floor press in lieu of comp press for a while and change the accessories around.

I just donno if the lack of relative intensity will keep me engaged long term though. I need to work up to @8 rpe in the 1-5 rep range regularly to stay mentally engaged in training. I know cube will work long term, i just would need to make sure i could commit to it. I also am in the opinion that a natty trainee needs more upper frequency than 2x/wk, but i could always add mini sessions throughout the week so that isnt a real drawback at all.

I dont mind this training ive been doing for the last month or so so ill just stick with it for a while longer until I figure out how to get deads back. I cant deadlift in the future in laws basement, before anyone asks. The eventual mother in law would shît herself. I was shocked when she even agreed to let me put my yoke down there.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 1.4

WU:
Donnie hang
Dyn stretch
Bird dog w/ 10ct: x3 x2
Side plank: x30s each side
Treadmill walk vs mini x5m

1. 2ct pause SL RDL (2 prep sets of 6-8 of moderate difficulty & one myorep x10-12 then clusters of 3
85x8 (noticed even on this first set that when my L leg was the working side it was much more difficult than R - mainly at the anti-rotational component)
95x8
105 (used belt on L leg) x11 + x3x2 sets
60x15 just trying to get some more antirotation in

I think the discrepancy in the difficulty was mainly stemming from a pinching sensation in the usual spot on my left lumbar. Might be overloading my lumbar with the combination of frequency and going close to failure each session. Im gonna consider switching these db SL rdls out with an isolated knee flexion type movement and replace the bilateral RDLs ive been doing later in the week with rear foot stabilized barbell single leg rdls. During this time it’s important for me to continuing to hammer some unilateral training so removing the single leg movement isnt really an option.

2. Single arm row (2 mod difficulty prep sets of 6 & one all-out heavy double rest/pause set - x6-8-15s-> x3-4 -15s-> x2-3)
80x8
95x8
105 x8 -> x3 -> x2

3. Db rear delt fly myorep (1-2 ramp sets mod diff x10-12 then 1 myoset with clusters of 3)
22.5x10
25x10
30x10 + 3x3 + 2

4. Db Conc curl (3 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set)
30x6
35x6
40x6
45x8 -> x5 -> x2 -> x1

5. Seated band sling oblique crunch
Mini x10
Mm x30

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
But can you deadlift in their yard?
Not now that he’s back in IL - the spring rain here has been nearly daily in some capacity lately it seems, and I had to pull at the closed gym last week because the ground is just way too soft. Previous week I left massive divots in the ground through stallmat, only pulling 435 and trying to be careful.

Probably when it’s hot dry summer & gyms are re-opened some

@jswain34 the heavy days in your Cube rotation should put you there on one lift weekly.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 2.4

Back wasnt feeling in any shape to work to failure on fronts so I took the DE day from cube and did that instead. Also suspended 25lb dbs off each side to add a little more of a core stability focus.

WU:
Dyn stretch
Side plank: 2x30s
Bird dog: x4x2 w/ 5ct
Dead bug: x6x2 w/ 3ct
Band pull apart: MM x20x3

1. DE Front Squat (155 straight weight + 25 chaos x3x8 60s rest)
45x5
45 + 50lb chaos x5
135x5 (at this point i was just hoping to do this plus the chaos, i knew any more straight weight than this was a bad idea due to the pain i was getting in my left sacroiliac/lumbosacral area.
135 + 25lb chaos (decreased the weight) x1 - nope
(+ 2ct pause)
45 + 25 lb chaos x3 x8 EMOM

Just did something. Fun times. I really expected this time off lifting heavy to help me unfuk myself. Starting to feel like im on the verge of a big flare like I havent had since 2016. Really dont want to shut it down though.

2. Seated bb OH Press (4-6 warm up sets of x4-6 then 1 cluster set...just worked up to a 4rm)
45/95/135 x5-10
175x4
(+ red cerb 7mm)
205x4@10000

3. Db low incline fly (2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps with a 4-5s slow eccentric & 2ct hold stretched, then 1 work set of 8-10 reps to failure (w/ that tempo), then hold the stretched position as long as tolerable.
30x10
40x10
50x10 4-5/2/1/2 tempo

4. Spud tri ext (2-3 ramp sets x12 then 1 myorep x10-12 w/ clusters of 3 and hold stretch for as long as possible @ end)

I didnt feel like setting up the spud cable or loading the plates on so i just used the spud handle with a carabiner around the bands.

Light x12
Light + MM x12
Light + Mm + mini x12 -> x3x2

Mind isnt in a great place right now. A good deal of negative shît “tornado-ing” around right now so ill just leave it at that.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not now that he’s back in IL - the spring rain here has been nearly daily in some capacity lately it seems, and I had to pull at the closed gym last week because the ground is just way too soft. Previous week I left massive divots in the ground through stallmat, only pulling 435 and trying to be careful.

Probably when it’s hot dry summer & gyms are re-opened some

@jswain34 the heavy days in your Cube rotation should put you there on one lift weekly.
Dead on with the rain. Zero chance thats possible right now unless i wanna have to get a shovel to dig the plates out after each rep lol.

Honestly, will they? The heavy day starts out at 80% of true 1rm and ~77% of training 1rm. 77% for 2 should be at an rpe of like 5 or less even. Regardless, im apparently in no shape to be hopping on an actual strength program right now anyway, as you’ll see above.

Edit: i meant 80% of training 1rm which works out to be 77% of true 1rm.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Honestly, will they? The heavy day starts out at 80% of true 1rm and ~77% of training 1rm. 77% for 2 should be at an rpe of like 5 or less even. Regardless, im apparently in no shape to be hopping on an actual strength program right now anyway, as you’ll see above.
I guess it depends on what you set your maxes with. After rereading Base Building, Destroy the Opposition, some of 5/3/1 Forever, the 5th Set manuals, I had this realization: the value for a max is an extremely arbitrary concept that needs to be compared to the way the specific program runs.

-Jamie Lewis apparently thinks you can do 10 sets of 3 on a compound lift at 90%. Guess what: you fucking can’t. Not if it’s a true 90% of your 1RM and you are a man of any consequential bodyweight at all & have been lifting more than a year.

-Same for 5/3/1. Looking at the Building the Monolith bulking/mass template. You can’t do 3x5 with 90% true 1RM. But it does work out pretty good if you use 90% of your training max, which is 85-90% of your current estimated actual EVERYDAY 1RM. Wendler says in 5/3/1 forever he actually never even programs anyone with more than 85% of their true 1RM as the TM because the %s he uses for 531 were too heavy essentially (he doesn’t directly admit that, but it’s true & why he lowers it even further).

-Thigpen mentions in Cube for Strongman 3 that the percentages are just guidelines to express the intent of the day’s effort. Which jives with Lily’s expression of it in the OG Cube - the Kingpin template is a more powerlifting specific template designed to periodize the mesocycles into a block format slightly, vs truly concurrent training.

TLDR; pick weights you can handle that are as heavy as you need them to be for the training effect you want. Periodization is less important than showing up to consistently lift with effort and avoiding injury.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O3.4 - pull 2
WU:
Dyn stretch
Bird dog: x5 per leg x2
Side plank: x30s x2
Dead bug: x5 w/ 3 ct x
Side squat and lift: Mini x15

1. Band pull throughs (2-3 ramp up x8-12 then one x12 myorep x3 clusters)
Pro light x12
Pro avg x12
Strong x20 -> x10 -> x10 (10-15s b/t)

2. calves w/ forefoot elevated: x100 reps as fast & as few sets as possible (goal)
0-10 single leg
11-30 both legs
31-40 single leg
41-60 both legs

Goal will be to build up to 100.

3. Elbows flared Pronated grip chest supported db row (2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set)
40x8
45x8
52.5x8 -15s-> x6 -15s-> x2

4. Seated Band pulldown (2 sets of 6 and one maximum mTor activation set of x6-18 w/ - 5/2/1/1 tempo then hold stretched for as long as possible) (draped band over yoke xbar and attached my fat grips to each loop)
Doubled light x10
Doubled avg x10
Doubled avg + doubled mino + tempo x7

5. Db hammer curl (2x8-10, 1 work set of 8-10 slow reps holding stretch 2s then max stretch @ end)
30x10
35x10
40 + tempo (2/2/1/1) x10

Havent trained since last thursday. Went on a small hike (1hr) with the fiance and mom on Saturday. Fished all day yesterday. Back is feeling a little better but no where near good. Gonna be switching up training some - i think im trying to push too many compound exercises to failure too frequently. I’m just gonna start doing ramp sets with ~2 straight which will hopefully allow me to keep the same frequency but preserve my lumbar better from not going to failure multiple sets on each exercise. Which as i type that out just seems like a bad idea with my history of waxing and waning back issues anyway so it’s probably a good move regardless.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dbl

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 4.4 - push 2

WU:
Pvc roll distal quads
1/2 kneeling hip flexor stretch: 2x30s
Clam shells: x15x3
Band PA: MM x20x3
Ecc step ups: x5x3
Tri set -
1. Spud cable ab curl: 70x35x2
2. Side plank: x30s x2
3. Bird dog: x5x2

Single leg Pallof: vs micro x30x2 each side
Both leg Pallof: vs doubled micro x30s each side
Vs Doubled mini x10/3 x3 each side

1. Floor Press
(2-3 Ramp sets @ mod diff then x4-6 w/ double reps in rest pause fashion) (goal 315 x4)
95x10
135x5
185x5
225x5
265x4
(+ red cerb elbows)
295x2
315x4 -10 ct -> x2 -10 ct -> x1 -10 ct -> x1

Ss/

Barbell suitcase holds or rack pull
95x30s
135x10s hold + 7 pulls
185x5 pulls

&

Lateral hip drops: each leg x15x3

2. Leg ext (x8-10 w/ slow ecc then 1 work set to fail w/ 4-5/2/1/1 tempo)
Choked Mini x10 x2
Choked Mm x20

Trying to pre fatigue since im using lower weights

3. Db Backwards sliding SS w/ banded TKE (1-2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps then x8-12 to failure w/ x3 clusters)

30 each hand x10 Vs choked micro TKE
40 each hand x10 vs choked mini TKE
52.5 each hand x12 -15s -> x3 (started w/ L leg and during the last 3 reps I started leaning R & lost a neutral spine frontally so i stopped here since thats already my issue).

After i finished these i looked at my notes and remembered i had the intention of 1-2 ct pausing these. That’ll give me a way to progress them next go around.

4. Seated band oh SA tri ext (1-2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps with a slow eccentric & 2ct pause, then 1 work set of 8-10 reps to failure (slow tempo), and finally hold the stretched bottom position.
Mini x10
MM x10 w/ spud row handle
Mm + micro w/ “ “ & 5/2/1/1 tempo x11

5. Seated band single arm pec fly (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure, f/b x3 clusters w/ 15-20 seconds of rest in between)
Mini x10
MM x10
MM + micro x12 + 3

Notes:

* Have been getting some left knee pain walking down stairs & also when that leg is the leg that is the non-working leg on reverse lunges. I changed the movement to just slide my foot backwards on the floor vs actually stepping backwards & also pre fatigued the quads with some high rep band leg extensions before hitting the lunges. I noticed that my left hip flexor complex is much tighter on my left, to the point where its tough for me to get to parallel with my right leg as the working leg due to the tightness restricting my ability to extend far enough to allow it. Wondering if that tight hip flexor has been causing some internal rotation of the femur and thus some grinding in the medial knee compartment with knee extension or resisted flexion (eg walking down stairs). Just another thing to add to my rehab/prehab list. Which is getting excessively long again.

* Pressing feels great. Starting to think this program has shown me the second or 3rd example of frequency being king for me on pressing with my RTS runs being the first two. Wish i wouldve had the fiance downstairs with me when i was on my top set, i wouldve gone for 5 for sure and maybe 6. My issue is that when i hit my wall pressing it happens without warning (as in the prior rep feels like butter) so im always extremely hesitant to push past 8.5-9 rpe alone when there isnt an obvious way to bail, like there would be on an incline press or seated overhead.

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
It’s usually better for progress to leave a couple in the tank and know you had them than to actually display RPE10. No worries!

Regarding re/prehab: this is inherently rotational. You can’t do all things for everything all the time, and if you are reflective you will arrive at the conclusion you have never needed to. Sometimes I can start doing a drill or mashing something and can tell right away I simply don’t need it - if I am sure I’m good, I move on. And sometimes I do extra stuff if I feel I need it. It’s really about running through mental checklists and taking a quick inventory, making sure everything you need for job is on board.

Today I did extra wrist stretches, jigsaw on one trap and lacrosse ball on one foot. And basically skipped lacrosse on one glute while doubling up on the other one, which got pinned Sunday.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 5.4

Wu:
Pvc roll quads & adductors
Dyn stretch
Clamshell: x15x2
Half kneeling pallof: vs MM x10x3 w/ 2ct each rep
90 degree vertical plate press: 10x10, 25x10
Bird dog: x5x2

1. Band bb row w/ pause (2-3 warmups of x4-12 then 1 rest/pause double set)
Mini under feet around bb x8
I tried regular pendlays but my back cant handle doing them from the ground.
95 + bands x8
135x8 -15s-> x12
(tried chest supported over yoke xbar starting at 95 - back still didnt like it, i did the 135x8 set then just did regular BO rows for the x12. Tried another set of 135 and my back just wasnt having it)

2. RDL (2 ramp sets x8, 3x8 working weight @7 @90s rest)
135x12 sumo
135x12 conv
(+ belt)
185x10 (s)
185x10 (c)
185x10 (s)
Band back extension: mini around dbs a few feet in front of yoke x50

I just took what my back would give me today.

3. Spud inc pulley vogelpohl row (1-2 warm-up sets of 6 reps, then 1 work set to failure, f/b as many micro-sets of 3 reps as possible with 15-20 seconds of rest in between)
Vs Xd micros (see pic below)
50x8
75x8
100x15 -> x3x4 15s b/t & 10s stretch after last cluster

4. Pron curl (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure followed by x3 clusters)
30x10
30x12 + x3x4 (honestly i didnt take this to failure just felt like being done)

5. Facepull
Choked micro x50

Lame day. Thinking about completely removing the RDLs or Pendlays and replacing them with a lateral sled drag where i work up to one moderately heavy set for 30-40 yards then just do a bunch of interval work afterwards. I think a lot of my issues are from completely neglecting the frontal plane for far too long.

I thought those pallofs had my pillar nice and warmed up ready to stabilize my spine, but i still wasnt able to really work the pendlays or RDLs. The 90s rest at least let me fatigue the hams and glutes some though. I cant see front squats happening tomorrow at this point but we’ll see if we can make it happen after a good warmup.

Pic of the vogelpohl setup:
IMG_6999.JPG

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I dig the rigging. Don’t force the back. Work within your recoverability. If you find you can’t do compounds, maybe do some extra bracing work or have fun with some extra stuff like curls.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Db

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 6.4

WU:
15m treadmill walk @ 2.5mph - trying to work out some of these calf doms. Have been painful for the last 2 days and are slightly improved today but just doing what i can to try and resolve them by tomorrow.
Dyn stretch
Pallofs
Monster walks
Band PAs: mm x20x3
Rusin pillar killer

1. 60 deg incline WG bp (x2-3 warmups x10-12 reps then 1 work set x10-12 w/ x3 clusters) (pointer on ring)
45x10
95x5
135x5
155x5
175x5
(+ cerb elbows)
185x7 to chest + 3 spoto + x3 + x2@10

Clusters = spoto

2. TKE ss/ Clam shell (in lieu of banded spanish squats)
Mini x20x3
Ss/
Red “heavy” fit chick band x20 x3

Ss/

3. Udhd single arm banded tri extension
Doubled Micro x30x2
Doubled mini x10 udhd - mech drop -> x10 neutral
30s rest
“ “ x10 udhd - mech drop -> x7 neutral

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
4 rounds of fw drag on grass:
40yds
(Rest while your partner pushes)
80yds
(Rest while your partner pushes)
110yds
(Rest 2:00 between rounds)
Total Distance: 960 yds

1st round - sled + 45, 2nd & 3rd - sled + 70, 4th sled + 95

1 round of lateral drag (down w/ L as lead leg back w/ R)
Same distances
Sled + 35

I was doing sets of 10-20 MM pull aparts during rest periods as well. Did it with one of my buddies.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also during 2 rounds of the fw drags I combo’d them with 2” PVC suitcase carries w/ 50lb switching hands half way. Not necessarily for grip work as it wasnt very effective at that with that load, but it did tax the core some at those distances while dragging the sled.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Dbl

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
WU 1.5

Went on a 30m walk, did 15 ab rollouts (not to full ext), and 25 bent over back extensions vs MM 3 hours before this workout.

Dyn stretch
Side plank: x30sx3
Ab rollouts: x15, x10x4 (most had a brief pause, wasnt going fully extended, just the furthest i could go without feeling like i was gonna hyperextended)

W/O 1

1. Back ext bent over yoke xbar:
Vs MM around both dbs x25x2
Vs Mm + pro light in gm position x15
Vs Mm + pro avg x15 - mech drop - avg GM x10

2. Forehead supported (lol) bent over 1-2ct pause db row (both bands at same time) (2 mod ramp sets of 6 & one set of x12 + 3 clusters)
Ramps:
35x6
45x6

Work:
52.5x12 + 4 clusters of 3, + 2 (10-15s b/t clusters)

Saw this on Rusins IG and decided to give it a try lol. Feels dumb as shît balancing my forehead on something but it did help take some pressure off my spine.

3. Db rear delt fly myorep (1-2 ramp sets mod diff x10-12 then drop set of x8/10/12)
Ramps:
25x8
30x8

Work:
35x8
-15s-
25x10
-15s-
17.5 x12

4. Standing single leg ham curl
Short MM under yoke and through ankle strap x 15 partials

5. Prone band hamstring curl (bil)
Mini looped around yoke post (each leg gets half band) x failure.

6. Db Conc curl (3 sets of 6 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set)
35x6x2
40x6
50x6 + 2 + 2 + 2 (15s b/t)

Back is feeling a ton better but i wanna give it another round through before i try RDLs and the like again. Can still feel super mild soreness in my calves from last week...gonna stick to 50 reps until that stimulus wears off then add 10 reps and progress like that until i reach the 100 im shooting for.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 2.5

WU:
Belt squat w/ dip belt double looped through spud loading strap/pin: 50x20x2 (just testing it out, i dont get to parallel but i think i could load this up pretty heavy. Dont have anything to elevate my feet on to help meet parallel either so half squats will have to do on them for now.
Dyn stretch
Ab rollout: 2x10
Side plank: 30sx2
Band march: MM x30sx2

1. Band Goblet Belt Sq (2-3 warm-up sets of 4-6 reps, then 1 work set of double rest/pause)

A. Mm x10x22/2 Pro light x102/2
B. Pro light + 2/4 bands of doubled (?) MM x10
C. 2/2 pro light + 2/4 “ “ + 2/4 doubled mini x + 52.5lb x12 + 3x3 clusters - ass was on FIRE.

2. Seated bb OH Press (4-6 warm up sets of x4-6 then 1 cluster set of as many singles as possible w/ 15s b/t)
45x5
95x5
135x5
155x4
185x4
(+ red cerb sleeves)
205x2
225x7 clusters of 1 w/ 15s b/t, final rep was a borderline incline bench. Oops.

3. Db low incline fly (2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps with a 4-5s slow eccentric & 2ct hold stretched, then 1 work set of 8-10 reps to failure (w/ that tempo), then hold the stretched position as long as tolerable.
30x10
40x10
50x8

Forgot to do my pull aparts during WU so i did the supersetted w/ fly.

MM x20x4

4. Tate press (2-3 ramp sets x12 then 1 myorep x10-12 w/ clusters of 3)
30x12
35x12
45x12 - 15s + mech drop -> rolling tri 45x10 -15s- 45x3

(My cable stuff was in my car still and i didnt feel like going to get it so i just subbed these in.

5. Db lateral raise (2 sets of 6 and one 6-8-10 drop set)
25/17.5 (21.25lb) x6
30/22.5 (26.25) x6
35/25 (30) x6 -> 25/17.5 x8 -> 20/12.5 (16.25) x10

Hyde, if you have enough bands, give that belt squat setup a go. It wasn’t hard in the hole at all but it LIT my glutes up.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im going around each of the bottom horizontal poles that make up the base. Its looping it on one end, stretching it out and wrapping it around the other base pole and bringing it back across then putting the newly created loop around the original side. For the smaller bands anyway. The pro light is just with each end around both base poles. Then connect the dip belt to the center of the bands via a carabiner. The dip belt chain is also doubled to shorten it.

IMG_7011.JPG

Last edited:
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Interesting that it doesn’t come off the poles - sounds like maybe I should look for a dip belt. Or put one of my thin carrier chains on my power belt.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Forehead supported rows. That’s using your noggin. I have to try these sooner than later lol.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Interesting that it doesn’t come off the poles - sounds like maybe I should look for a dip belt. Or put one of my thin carrier chains on my power belt.
Damnit. I knew my wording was off. Nope. Not the loading pegs where youd put plates. The actual bottom support beams of the yoke.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O3.5

Side plank x30s x2
Ab rollout x12x2
Back ext over yoke xbar: vs MM x50, 30

1. GM vs bands (x8-12 then one xAMRAP)
Avg x12
Heavy x12
Heavy GM + pro light around hips x25

1. calves w/ forefoot elevated
Single leg x10 -> Both legs x20 -> single leg x10 -> both legs x10

(No rest except for each leg got a rest when the opposite leg was doing SL, naturally).

3. Banded voglepohls (2 sets of 6-8 w/ slow ecc and pause at peak contraction then x8-12 w/ x3 clusters & max stretch after last cluster)

Vs xd micros
55x8
80x8
105x12 + 4 clusters of 3 + x2 w/ 10s max stretch

4. Spud cable Pronated grip upright chest supported row (2 sets of 8 and one all-out heavy double rest/pause set)
45x8
70x8
105x8
125 vs diagonal MM x8 + 5 + 3 - back of the bench was lifting up off the ground so this was about the max I could load with this setup. The Spud cable low pulley would be nice to have....

5. Db hammer curl (2x8-10 3-5ct ecc, then x10 w/ x3 clusters)
25x10
30x10
40x12 + 2 clusters of 3 + 2 (10s b/t clusters)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Doubled

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice accessory day right there
Thank ya, sir.

W/O 4.5

Dyn
DE Pushup: 3x3 w/ 3ct pause
Band PA: Mm x20x3
Side plank: x30s
Ab rollout x8x2

1. Fat grip floor Press
(2-3 Ramp sets @ mod diff then x4-6 w/ double reps in rest pause fashion)
45/95/135/175/225x5-10
265x5
(+ cerb red 5mm elbows)
295x5
[email protected] + 5 singles w/ 15-20s b/t (started at 15 but for 3/4/5 i was re-wrapping my wrists between bc my hands were losing sensation)

2. Db bw sliding SS (1-2 warm-up sets of 6 reps then x6/8/10 w/ alternating) (working foot elevated on a 45)
35x6
45x6
52.5x6 -> 45x8 -> 35x10 (only rest as long as it takes to change db weights)

3. SA OH db tri ext (1-2 warm-up sets of 8-10 reps then x8/10/12 drop set w/ loaded stretch after last rep)
35x10
40x8
40x8 -> 30x10 -> 25x12

4. Single arm banded pec fly (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure, f/b x3 clusters w/ 15-20 seconds of rest in between)
Mini x12
Mm x12
MM + micro x15 + 3 + 2 (15s rest b/t was a loaded stretch)

Bested my top floor press set by a rep and therefore the total volume w/ 315 by 2 reps.

The intensity technique I employed on the SSs worked much better than trying to do x12s w/ x3

Just realized today i could makeshift a landmine station and do meadows rows for one of my rowing slots. Will be subbing those in somewhere.

Edit: forgot to 2ct pause the split squats again today.

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks gents.

Sled workout today.
Weight is not including the weight of the sled. This is on grass. Was doing this with a buddy so my rests were to a point where there was some recovery but with the exception of the top 2 sets or so it wasnt anything close to full recovery HR wise. As you’ll see below i was also supersetting some prehab/BB work during my rest periods.

x40yds

Fw pull:

Bw drag:

Fw pulls were wayyy “harder” systemically - more widespread fatigue, lightheadedness, feeling like youre gonna puke factor, way higher HR, etc but the bw drags LIT my quads up.

Did 40lbs for 8 sets of 10 facepulls and 3 sets of 12 w/ 40lbs on curls with the spud pulley between sets.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
W/O 5.5

WU:
Dyn
Suitcase carry 40lb x10m switching hands every 1m
Ab rollout: 2x10
Ss/
Plate RDL: 45x10x2

1. Kneeling Meadows row (2-3 warmups of x6-8 then 1 rest/pause double set)
75x8
95x8
110x8
120x6 -> 2 clusters of 3

2. Staggered stance Landmine RDL vs short MM band (warm-up sets of 8-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure followed by x3 clusters)
Vs short MM
45x8
70x8
100x8
125x10 - drop band -> x3 clusters of 3 (lead w/ L since thats my “bad” side)

- just added the band around the foot of the working leg then around the sleeve of the bar.

3. Feet elevated Dante pullup vs band over lap (1-2 warm-up sets of 6 reps, then 1 work set to failure, f/b as many micro-sets of 3 reps as possible with 15-20 seconds of rest in between) (pointer on ring of bb)

Bw x6
Micro x6
Doubled micro x6
Doubled micro x12 + 2 clusters of 3 + 2

(Ss/ 4)

4. Ab rollout (2xAMRAP)
x15, 10

5. Pron curl (1-2 warm-up sets of 10-12 reps, then 1 work set of 10-12 reps to failure followed by x3 clusters)

25x12
30x12
35x12 + 3x3

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Switched hands every 1 meter?
LOL. Damnit. 1 “min” would have technically been correct. You all should know by now im the laziest logger when it comes to writing units. Also, im American and not at work...ill put that shît in yards.