Jswain's training log for powerlifting

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
They don't look as impressive as I'd imagine them to be.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Herder has my first pair of briefs: Metal Pro 46. Good starter brief as it teaches you the basics without a steep learning curve or trying to collapse you. IMO, multiply briefs/suits are much easier to learn than a shirt.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Herder has my first pair of briefs: Metal Pro 46. Good starter brief as it teaches you the basics without a steep learning curve or trying to collapse you. IMO, multiply briefs/suits are much easier to learn than a shirt.
This right here, Jared. Size yourself according to Metal charts and see if it will work. But yeah, the legs on the briefs do more for carryover but the legless briefs will still protect the hips.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/2/16 Cycle 1 week 3

Deads (5/3/1+)
Wu:
45x-
135x5
205x5
260x5
310x3
340x5 (thought this was my first working set, it wasnt)
Working:
390x5 (str mixed)
440x3 (+ belt, straps -> couldve mixed it but i wanted to get some practice on setting my brace with my hands attached to the bar already)
490x1+ (x6, @8, @8 ~ 620, just x6 ~ 585)
---->(this was t&g, wasnt planning on it being but it just kinda happened, im alright with doing my amraps t&g though).
*i believe this is either tied for or 1 rep short of a rep pr, but i know its a x6@8 pr.
Joker:
535x1@9 conv----> lost my hips on this rep, meaning i didnt engage them off the floor as well as i should.
60s rest
[email protected] sumo, just had the itch.
FSL (2x5)
390x5x2 (+ belt, alternating mixed grips each rep, full resets)

-High bar squats (+ olys) (5x8) (180s rest on top sets)
45x8 --> anterior hip pinching, band distracted hip flexor stretch cleared it up a tad.
135x8
185x8
225x8
275x8x5
Man my legs were shot from ME squats tuesday and following deads today. These had no umph in them at all from top to bottom. High bars suck.

-Pallofs (3x60s)
40lb (x15on/5offx4) x3 sets

-Pull throughs
150x12x2

Skipped optional leg extensions. Was lifting for 95 mins already and i had had enough.

Wasnt planning on deloading every cycle, but Ive added quite a bit of extra volume to the main lifts throughout the cycle so I think I'm going to. Left knee has had some mild pain these last 3 days and the anterior impingement feeling today have me thinking a deload is in order for next week.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 hour sesh?

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As soon as i got home i sat on the tractor mowing the grass for an hour and a half. Left vast medialis has been cramping like a mof ever since. Electrolytes have been low today so its not surprising. I think im out of potassium gluconate tabs too.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/5/16 cycle 1 week 4 - deload

BP
Wu:
45x10
95x8
135x5
160x5
190x3
Working:
210x3
240x3
270x3

No jokers, No FSL.

-HS CHEST SUPP ROW (3x10)
45x10
90x10x3

-INC DB PRESS (3x10)
75x10x3
^^^wont be doing these anymore. Left AC is not a fan. Need to find another good pec dominant compound, hyper move. Any favorites?

-FPs ss/ OHD rope ext
20x20x2 / 50x20x2

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Pec dominant compound, hyper move.. Decline bench would be up there on my list. Feels more shoulder friendly to me as well, compared to most pec dominant movements.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Pec dominant compound, hyper move.. Decline bench would be up there on my list. Feels more shoulder friendly to me as well, compared to most pec dominant movements.
Haven't done any decline in a while...that may be worth a shot. Good idea Cap.

You mean besides the NG Db pressing, right?
Yeah, those will be sticking around. Dunno if im gonna do em after bench or OP but they'll be in one of the two slots for certain.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Think i may have lost form a tad more than I thought last week on top single for deads. That punching/stinging pain in my hip/glute has returned, this time its the right one mainly. As you'll see, I'm subsequently deloading lower a lot harder than upper.

9/6 Cycle 1 wk 4 - lower deload

Sq (flats, mid bar)
45x5
95x5
135x5
155x5
190x5
230x5

RDL
135x10
225x10x3

Dead bugs (from http://tonygentilcore.com/2013/10/deadbugs-the-what-why-and-how/) (following that breathing pattern makes them quite a bit more difficult)
3x6 per leg

BSS
Bw x 10 x 2

Did more prehab stuff during warmups today, including some lax ball rolling and BSS with PNF to engage the glute med better. Gonna hit the inversion table, do the limber 11, and some clam shells with the hip circle now - if something elicits the pain I will skip that exercise and move on. I dont wanna irritate it further.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just tried my new grippy hip circle today warming for bench - that thing is awesome!

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hex press or DB Squeeze press, Chest Dips, there are a lot of different ones you could use but which angles bother you? Is it the incline that makes it hurt, or having to stabilize the DB that is bothering it? A lot of times a hammer strength machine will allow me to do an exercise I am finding very uncomfortable otherwise.

Other times I have to do shorter ROM like if Incline bench bothers me I can often do 2/3rds reps on them without pain. IE cut off the top and bottom 3-4 inches of ROM and keep constant tension on the muscle. If picking the bar up causes issue then a well placed bench in the smith machine can set you up for a successful angle and motion. Also on the DB you might find that just going with a 15-30 degree angle instead of 45 puts you in a good spot, or visa versa.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It is the incline angle in combination with stabilizing the db at the bottom of the movement is when the pain presents. I have no issue with the NG flat db pressing.

My list was narrowed down to dips or declines (Hyde - looking to work away from the BB on this accessory at this point since I already do a decent amount of pressing barbell work with the working sets, jokers, and FSL sets). Although, I wouldnt mind testing out some HS incline chest press for a bit. I will experiment with those 3 tomorrow during my upper day and see which exercise is hitting my pecs the best.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hs incline press is a dope one - can shift it to pecs/delts or tris easily with seat height and grip width, and easy to do unilateral turned to the side even.

Paused Db pressing could be an option. I like dips a lot for pecs if they don't bug you. 3 weeks waves on dips work best for me for that reason.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hs incline press is a dope one - can shift it to pecs/delts or tris easily with seat height and grip width, and easy to do unilateral turned to the side even.

Paused Db pressing could be an option. I like dips a lot for pecs if they don't bug you. 3 weeks waves on dips work best for me for that reason.
I look forward to trying them out tomorrow. The only time ive ever done them was for like 2 weeks (so...4 workouts?) when i had my broken hand and couldnt hold a barbell. I've always seen guys saying good things about them in terms of their efficacy in hypertrophy as well as joint friendliness from the BB bros. May even try to throw an average band on there to see if that adds a little help in addressing my lockout woes.

Ive never had a problem with dips, truthfully, they were pretty much my go to pressing accessory for first 2 years or so when i got back into lifting. My shoulders never seemed to have an issue with them, even with doing them while playing baseball.

So, im thinking the HS or dips will be my choice...i just have a feeling getting the dbs into place for decline db press would be a pain in the ass while lifting alone.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And Herder, i havent forgotten about measuring myself for those Metal briefs. I just gotta get around to it and find a tailoring measuring tape.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I look forward to trying them out tomorrow. The only time ive ever done them was for like 2 weeks (so...4 workouts?) when i had my broken hand and couldnt hold a barbell. I've always seen guys saying good things about them in terms of their efficacy in hypertrophy as well as joint friendliness from the BB bros. May even try to throw an average band on there to see if that adds a little help in addressing my lockout woes.

Ive never had a problem with dips, truthfully, they were pretty much my go to pressing accessory for first 2 years or so when i got back into lifting. My shoulders never seemed to have an issue with them, even with doing them while playing baseball.

So, im thinking the HS or dips will be my choice...i just have a feeling getting the dbs into place for decline db press would be a pain in the ass while lifting alone.
I definitely second the doing DB decline press is a pain when you are alone. I definitely would not opt for decline db's if your shoulder is showing any instability at all. It is just a really awkward set up to get into without a partner. Hell it is awkward with a partner. Oh if you want an INSANE chest contraction and your gym has it look for the HS Wide Chest Press. The contraction from that machine is second to none! You can make hit the top, middle and lower chest just by adjusting the seat. It is like combining a heavy press with a cable cross over if you can imagine the contraction from that.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I wouldn't do DB declines either. BB on declines is where it's at, dips are a good idea. They normally mess with my shoulders, that's why I didn't recommend them.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been switching things up do to shoulder discomfort and decline smith probably hurt the most of anything. Not sure if that would be the same for you.

Machine press also isn't great on my shoulder but the hammer strength feels awesome. As does a regular DB press and dips. I guess are pains are all individual and you'll just have to see what works for you. Don't be scared to start out super light and see if you notice any discomfort as you move up.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for all the input guys. I'll see how the HS feels tomorrow and go from there, if its a no go ill just do dips as you cant go wrong there as long as you aren't getting any pain from it. Reg, I try to steer clear of fixed plane ROM moves pretty much as much as possible anyway, so a smith decline press is a 100% no go. The only thing id ever do on a smith (as of now) is a kaz press or standing calf raise.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/8/16 Cycle 1 Week 4

Op - deload
45x10
80x5
100x5
120x5
130x3
150x3
170x3
No jokers or FSL

-HS INCLINE CHEST PRESS (3x10)
45x10
70x10
90x10
115x10x2 ---> no discomfort, strong pec contraction. Havent felt my pecs working like that in a long time. I think these are what im gonna go with next block. I did test out dips and i felt like these hit my pecs more how im wanting to hit them.

-NG LAT PULLDOWN (3x10)
80x10 wu
100x10 wu
120x10
140x10x2

-LATL raise
15x15x3

-Rear delt fly machine
90x15x3

-Hammer curls
30x12
35x12

Buddy from HS asked if he could deadlift with me tomorrow. I'll be sticking to the 5/3/1 deload but will probably work singles up to 80% so as long as my hip feels alright. It has been progressively improving since Tuesday so thats good. Im undecided if i'll alternate blocks of sumo/conv or do every two at this point. Other than that next block is all set now that i found my other pressing accessory move.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've been switching things up do to shoulder discomfort and decline smith probably hurt the most of anything. Not sure if that would be the same for you.

Machine press also isn't great on my shoulder but the hammer strength feels awesome. As does a regular DB press and dips. I guess are pains are all individual and you'll just have to see what works for you. Don't be scared to start out super light and see if you notice any discomfort as you move up.
Yeah with the shoulder and all of it's planes of movement it is really hard to guess what will hurt it unless you know where the pain is and what movements or angles inflame it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I'll see how the HS feels tomorrow and go from there, if its a no go ill just do dips as you cant go wrong there as long as you aren't getting any pain from it. Reg, I try to steer clear of fixed plane ROM moves pretty much as much as possible anyway, so a smith decline press is a 100% no go. The only thing id ever do on a smith (as of now) is a kaz press or standing calf raise.
I like doing JM Presses there sometimes. I did it once when no other benches were available and it really allowed me to focus on the triceps, I think the fixed plan there was a pretty good thing. My triceps seem to get a little more sore from that, but I still do them free weight most of the time.

9/8/16 Cycle 1 Week 4

-HS INCLINE CHEST PRESS (3x10)
45x10
70x10
90x10
115x10x2 ---> no discomfort, strong pec contraction. Havent felt my pecs working like that in a long time. I think these are what im gonna go with next block. I did test out dips and i felt like these hit my pecs more how im wanting to hit them.

Buddy from HS asked if he could deadlift with me tomorrow. I'll be sticking to the 5/3/1 deload but will probably work singles up to 80% so as long as my hip feels alright. It has been progressively improving since Tuesday so thats good. Im undecided if i'll alternate blocks of sumo/conv or do every two at this point. Other than that next block is all set now that i found my other pressing accessory move.
Good to see you enjoyed those HS Inclines. Good luck on those DL's hopefully hitting them up will open the hip up rather than bother it.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah with the shoulder and all of it's planes of movement it is really hard to guess what will hurt it unless you know where the pain is and what movements or angles inflame it.

I like doing JM Presses there sometimes. I did it once when no other benches were available and it really allowed me to focus on the triceps, I think the fixed plan there was a pretty good thing. My triceps seem to get a little more sore from that, but I still do them free weight most of the time.

Good to see you enjoyed those HS Inclines. Good luck on those DL's hopefully hitting them up will open the hip up rather than bother it.
A kaz press is basically a JM press on the smith machine so yup, agreed. I just need to really focus on my hip wedge off the floor, when I lose that is when i start having issues.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Can you do a push-up without discomfort?
Yup. No issue whatsoever.

It could really just be the flare on incline db that causes it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yup. No issue whatsoever.

It could really just be the flare on incline db that causes it.
Being able to do dips and push-ups takes out a couple of suspects. Serratus anterior and supraspinatus dysfunction make these either extremely painful or unable to perform them.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
You know you can still tuck on incline db, right? I do and it alleviates any discomfort I've had in the past. Not that there's anything special about incline db though. If it hurts, drop it. Plenty of other movements

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Being able to do dips and push-ups takes out a couple of suspects. Serratus anterior and supraspinatus dysfunction make these either extremely painful or unable to perform them.
Interesting. Ive heard of serratus anterior dysfunction and pushup pain but not the correlation with pain with dips...same reasoning? And supraspinatus dysfunction is something I admittedly have little knowledge on. Care to drop a little knowledge on either? Doesnt have to be anything crazy, but a small explanation would be cool if you feel up to it.

You know you can still tuck on incline db, right? I do and it alleviates any discomfort I've had in the past. Not that there's anything special about incline db though. If it hurts, drop it. Plenty of other movements
Yeahhh, i know...it just feels weird tucking with dbs on incline for some reason. I dunno, maybe I'll go back to them at some point later on and try some different things but like you said, since its the one thing that has given me shoulder pain, I'm just gonna find something else.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Interesting. Ive heard of serratus anterior dysfunction and pushup pain but not the correlation with pain with dips...same reasoning? And supraspinatus dysfunction is something I admittedly have little knowledge on. Care to drop a little knowledge on either? Doesnt have to be anything crazy, but a small explanation would be cool if you feel up to it.

Yeahhh, i know...it just feels weird tucking with dbs on incline for some reason. I dunno, maybe I'll go back to them at some point later on and try some different things but like you said, since its the one thing that has given me shoulder pain, I'm just gonna find something else.
The dips applies more to the supraspinatus than the serratus. My bad for the confusion. A tight supraspinatus, which is an ******* to mobilize, makes it VERY difficult to hold the appropriate external rotation. It's on the superior medial side of the scapula and you would be able to palpate some gnarly adhesions (there will likely find some as is, but these will be particularly bad).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The dips applies more to the supraspinatus than the serratus. My bad for the confusion. A tight supraspinatus, which is an ******* to mobilize, makes it VERY difficult to hold the appropriate external rotation. It's on the superior medial side of the scapula and you would be able to palpate some gnarly adhesions (there will likely find some as is, but these will be particularly bad).
Gotcha. And the "makes it VERY difficult to hold the appropriate ER" is what i was looking for. Thanks boss.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
9/9/16 Cycle 1 Week 4

Dl
-Conv
45x10 sldl
135x8
185x5
225x5
265x5
315x3
355x1
405x1 (str mix)
440x1 (str mix, + belt)
-Sumo (my buddy likes to pull sumo so I was trying to help him with his form some, needs a lot of work so i invited him to pull with me on fridays...we'll see if he takes me up on it or not).
405x1
315x a double and a single or two
225 for a 3-4 sets...didnt count the reps i just kinda did some working on my hip wedge and screwing my arms into the bar.

Deads felt alright. I may need to switch to sumo for a block to give my lower back a little time to recover from conventionals. Its a little out of whack still, i dont think it'll effect anything other than conventional pulls. I want to alternate 8 week blocks of each, so maybe i'll just take it easy on the jokers and amraps this cycle and just do the top set repeats for extra volume but not anything too intense to where form may break down. Guess I'll think on that.

-Leg ext (3x10) ss/ laying leg curl (3x10)
90x10 / 90x10x3
105x10x2

-Dead bugs ss/ kneeling hip flexor stretch
3x6 P/L / 3x10s P/L

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Top set repeats are easily the least fun and BEST way for me to increase my deadlift. AMRAPS and Joker type work goes much better on pressing, which recovers night and day better than conv pulling.

Also, have you decided 8 wks to be something you can truly sustain without getting busted? Like, if 8 weeks of Sumo is all you can handle, but rotating to conv at 6 keeps you from getting beat up, I would consider that at least.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Top set repeats are easily the least fun and BEST way for me to increase my deadlift. AMRAPS and Joker type work goes much better on pressing, which recovers night and day better than conv pulling.

Also, have you decided 8 wks to be something you can truly sustain without getting busted? Like, if 8 weeks of Sumo is all you can handle, but rotating to conv at 6 keeps you from getting beat up, I would consider that at least.
Thats the exact reason i programmed them in in the first place, the repeats are what will actually BUILD the lift, just like you said.

Judging my PM and other past blocks, about 8 weeks is where i start getting beat up with conventional. And with 5/3/1, it's really only 6 weeks of pulling that would contribute to me getting busted. So, in theory, i should be able to make it through two blocks of 5/3/1 without getting fckd. I feel fairly confident that I can get 6 weeks of good work in in an 8 week block and not get busted while pulling either sumo or conventional.

I should really be able to make it 6 weeks before a deload too, which is what I will start shooting for going forward. I wouldnt of deloaded this week if my hip didnt get jacked up last friday.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Didn't realize that 4 week block was including a deload. That is a major difference.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hey guys, just found out through a couple emails with Mike T that TRAC is now free to use for anyone with an RTS account. Good time to test it out if you've ever been curious about it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am going to check out TRAC(again) but I am wondering, do you know of it prescribes working sets now? It seems like his guided program people have a predetermined number of sets to work off of and I believe they get it from TRAC, but I'm not positive.

Edit: I would imagine I would need a baseline first before sets would be prescribed if it does this.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
In my use of it, it just tells you to decrease/increase planned volume for the day. It doesn't actually give you a number of sets to do, as that would be too individual for it to really know without it already knowing your planned work (like you said).

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not gonna have time to train tonight. Had to wake up at 4 to shadow a PA in EST this morning then left straight from there to WV. Family stuff there tonight, leaving for VA in the AM. Gonna be there for a week to see my 93 yo grandma i havent seen in years. May or may not be able to get into a gym there tomorrow. I'll be training Wednesday for sure though, already found a couple places of Powerlifting Watch's gym search that have caught my interest.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome that you get to see your 93 years young Grandma! Enjoy the trip. What part of WV is that? I was raised just outside of Charleston until I was almost 14.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow, enjoy the time. My grandparents passed in their early 80's. I'd give anything for another weekend with them. I took advantage of there being around in my early 20's.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Awesome that you get to see your 93 years young Grandma! Enjoy the trip. What part of WV is that? I was raised just outside of Charleston until I was almost 14.
A mountaineer! I knew there was a reason I liked you right off the bat. Some incredible lifters out of Charleston these days. New Cumberland is in the northern panhandle right on the Ohio, an hour from Pgh. Ten minutes from where I grew up. I've fished/boated out of there since I was agree years old.

Jared, did you hear about East Liverpool making national news last week? It was a dandy.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow, enjoy the time. My grandparents passed in their early 80's. I'd give anything for another weekend with them. I took advantage of there being around in my early 20's.
MrKleen73 im in New Cumberland right now, out off rt 2. I haven't seen her in so long, since my gpa died. Very happy to see her, i just couldn't swing it with work before so spending the week with her has me excited.

Enjoy that family time my man!!!
A mountaineer! I knew there was a reason I liked you right off the bat. Some incredible lifters out of Charleston these days. New Cumberland is in the northern panhandle right on the Ohio, an hour from Pgh. Ten minutes from where I grew up. I've fished/boated out of there since I was agree years old.

Jared, did you hear about East Liverpool making national news last week? It was a dandy.
I will Hyde.

No, I didnt. What happened...?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
MrKleen73 im in New Cumberland right now, out off rt 2. I haven't seen her in so long, since my gpa died. Very happy to see her, i just couldn't swing it with work before so spending the week with her has me excited.

I will Hyde.

No, I didnt. What happened...?
Two parents driving their child OD'd on heroin. Apparently the driver was awake until he got pulled over and then passed out.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The herion problem is insane now in PA. It's a damn shame. My biggest fear for my kids is them getting involved.

Hey Jswain, I hope you have a good trip and enjoy the family

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Good for you to be able to spend some time with the family man! The gym will always be there.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

There is a lot of beautiful scenery up there. We used to drive through that area going to see family in Stuebenville Ohio.