Jrock’s cut log

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So, I started cutting about a month ago. Started trt two weeks ago, have about 40 days worth of var at 50mg, that also started 4 weeks ago. Starting weight was 212, at 6’2”, bf in the high teens, current weight is 204lbs. Will cut until I get into single digits with bf%, preferably a legitimate 7-8%. Blast is scheduled for right after Christmas/Jan 1st. Kinda figuring I’ll need to get to about 185 to get to the bf% I’m looking for.

Current training is 6 day per week ppl, creeping death 2.0. That program should finish about mid December, plan to transition into Project Colossus then. That should fit nicely with being scheduled to start coaching from Menno Henselmans on Feb 4th. Currently only doing about 25 minutes of cardio twice a week, trying to let the diet do its job. Will gradually add a little more. I try to swim every once in a while, just because I like it.

Current diet is 1600-1700 cals per day, with maintenance being about 2400. I do have one cheat meal and one of something sweet on my weekend, trying to take it easy and cut back on those. I eat the same things every single day I work with no variation. I’ll post that later.

Also using: T3, IGF1lr3/hexarelin preworkout, GH frag twice a day, cardarine and alphalean 7.

Ill post more as we go, and I’ll get some starting photos up in the next day or two.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
All the good stuff you’re running with cals that low, I’m psyched to see how shredded you’re going to get

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Off day from work today, so I slept in today. Trained after I got up. Today was “pump only” leg day.

Not gonna give every detail of every workout, just an overview and highlight anything noteworthy.

Today was leg extensions w/ a 1 sec hold at top of each rep, goblet squats, walking lunges, single rep iso hold leg extensions for a 20sec hold, and 6 sets of seated calf raises. Total of 22 sets, took 51 minutes.

Never did goblet squats before, worked up to an 80lb db with those. Was able to get deep and not bother my back, which was good. 90 second rests on everything made for a demanding workout from a conditioning standpoint. And I dunno about anyone else, but properly done seated calf raises are absolute gluttony. Full stretch and brief pause up on my toes. Absolutely killer from the 2nd set on.

Also did a few sets of weighted back extensions and tried some front squats after somebody suggested them. My quads were shot, so didn’t do much.

Had intended to swim but the pool was full. Finished with 25 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes in the sauna.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Off day from work today, so I slept in today. Trained after I got up. Today was “pump only” leg day.

Not gonna give every detail of every workout, just an overview and highlight anything noteworthy.

Today was leg extensions w/ a 1 sec hold at top of each rep, goblet squats, walking lunges, single rep iso hold leg extensions for a 20sec hold, and 6 sets of seated calf raises. Total of 22 sets, took 51 minutes.

Never did goblet squats before, worked up to an 80lb db with those. Was able to get deep and not bother my back, which was good. 90 second rests on everything made for a demanding workout from a conditioning standpoint. And I dunno about anyone else, but properly done seated calf raises are absolute gluttony. Full stretch and brief pause up on my toes. Absolutely killer from the 2nd set on.

Also did a few sets of weighted back extensions and tried some front squats after somebody suggested them. My quads were shot, so didn’t do much.

Had intended to swim but the pool was full. Finished with 25 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes in the sauna.
I can feel how good front squats are for me being so tall but even with the best positioning exactly as it should be, they still dig into my frontal delts so bad I have bruises for days. I feel like I got almost as much quad activation from heel elevated back squats but I’m not sure. Both are solid just hate that bar positioning.
22 sets including warm ups?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I can feel how good front squats are for me being so tall but even with the best positioning exactly as it should be, they still dig into my frontal delts so bad I have bruises for days. I feel like I got almost as much quad activation from heel elevated back squats but I’m not sure. Both are solid just hate that bar positioning.
22 sets including warm ups?
22 work sets, plus warmups and plus the back extensions and front squats.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull workout today.

4 sets of DB rows, worked up to 70lb'ers
5x5 on rack pulls, worked up to 295 for the last set but only got 2. Probably got greedy trying to add 20lbs from last week. Only goal with rack pulls is to keep doing them without wrecking my back.
4x10 on "stretchers." First time doing these. Basically a standing lat pull leaning toward the machine with a parallel handle grip. Loved the feel of these, don't know why Meadows waited until now to plug them in.
Supported rows- 4x8
4 sets preacher curls
4 sets alternating single arm cable curls
6 sets incline bench leg raises

Took an hour and 35 minutes, which is longer than usual but part of that was a guy saw my Packers shirt and ended up talking to me for a few minutes about the game and Milwaukee.

Also did 3 sets of BB back extensions. Time to up the weight on these.

Pool was open so I did 30 minutes of swimming. Mixed it up and used the snorkel, fins, paddles, kickboard and buoy, just to keep it moving for 30 minutes.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Alright, here’s a set of progress pics. Left we’re taken sept 6th, about 10 days before I started cutting. So it’s a 5-6 week progress pic.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Here’s some other info i just got. Menno’s website has a muscle potential calculator. Maybe not 100% accurate, but what is? I figure it’s probably close and gives me an idea of what to work toward. The fat loss part is consistent with my math, guess time will tell.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
got in for push workout this morning.

machine press 3x12
incline Db press 3x8
smith flat bench 3x8
”Bayesian” flyes 3x10
bent over DB laterals 4x8
machine rear delt 4x15(superseded with laterals)
rope push down 4x12
seated Db OH extension 4x10

28 total work sets, plus warmups. Took 75 minutes.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Leg day.

Started with 20 minutes of HIIT on the bike. First time doing intervals in a long time, this will get more intense as I get accustomed to it again.

4x12 on leg curl
4x8 on leg press, then into dropset for 30 total reps on final set
5x8 on vsquats
3x 11/11/8 on DB stiff dl’s
4x25 on standing calf raises

Peaked at 643lbs on last set of leg press and 344 on last set of vsquat. Both personal bests, so that felt good.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull day, trying a different format for this second pull day of the week.

started with 20 minutes HIIT on the bike

lat pull and standing close grip stretcher superset, 4x15 each
db rows 15/12/12/10/8
decline bench 10/8/6/6
iso lateral rows 3x15
rack pulls 10/8/8/6/4
smith incline 10/9/8/5 then into dropset on last set

Lats were on fire after that opening super set.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pull day, trying a different format for this second pull day of the week.

lat pull and standing close grip stretcher superset, 4x15 each
db rows 15/12/12/10/8
decline bench 10/8/6/6
iso lateral rows 3x15
rack pulls 10/8/8/6/4
smith incline 10/9/8/5 then into dropset on last set

Lats were on fire after that opening super set.
I love back day. It’s the only group that I can always see increases in strength on.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I love back day. It’s the only group that I can always see increases in strength on.
Yeah ive always liked training back too. If i could pick one muscle group to max out, id live to have a Lee Haney barn door back.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got a push workout in today.

20 minutes HIIT on the bike

DB bench 15/15/12/10
bayesian flyes 4x15
low cable row 4x10
dips 15/15/15/12
incline fly 2x15
decline fly 2x15
iso row 2x 8 then dropset

3 sets weighted back extensions, 3 sets bw only
3x15 myo crunch with a medicine ball

Weighed in at 201.4 today, waist measured at 35.5, so waist measurement is slowly coming down.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Got a push workout in today.

20 minutes HIIT on the bike

DB bench 15/15/12/10
bayesian flyes 4x15
low cable row 4x10
dips 15/15/15/12
incline fly 2x15
decline fly 2x15
iso row 2x 8 then dropset

3 sets weighted back extensions, 3 sets bw only
3x15 myo crunch with a medicine ball

Weighed in at 201.4 today, waist measured at 35.5, so waist measurement is slowly coming down.
Dips/Low cable row best two push/pull out there

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull workout today.

started with 20 minutes HIIT on the bike.

db row 4x8 worked up to 70lb
assisted chins 4x12
low cable rows 4x10
pullover machine 10/10/10/7
BB hyperextensions 2x 10
incline bench leg raises 6x10
ez bar preacher curls 2x15, 2x12
cross body hammer curls 4x10
added cable upright rows 3x12, then dropset

finished with 30 minutes elliptical. Took my swim stuff but the pool was full, so had to improvise. Sucked cause I’d really wanted to swim.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I love low cable rows but gotta go easy with the weight as heavy unsupported rows really stress my back.
I didn’t know this but by leaning forward and not doing the top1/4 of the movement you can work primarily only the lats and take pressure of lumbar spine. I thought he was crazy when I tried it but it destroyed my lats. He’s got me on 3 back days so one is trap/shoulder focused, one is thickening, dead’s and such, and one is just for building lats up wide af

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I didn’t know this but by leaning forward and not doing the top1/4 of the movement you can work primarily only the lats and take pressure of lumbar spine. I thought he was crazy when I tried it but it destroyed my lats. He’s got me on 3 back days so one is trap/shoulder focused, one is thickening, dead’s and such, and one is just for building lats up wide af
Ill have to try that!

Ironpirate

Ironpirate

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Alright, here’s a set of progress pics. Left we’re taken sept 6th, about 10 days before I started cutting. So it’s a 5-6 week progress pic.

Nice progress. What are your meals consisting of?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nice progress. What are your meals consisting of?

Actually just raised calories back up a bit, with the added HIIT 5 days a week. So I'm now at 2234 per day.

Intra- 1/2 scoop karbolyn + EAA's
PWO-1 scoop protein and 1c nonfat greek yogurt, 1/2c blueberries
Lunch: 3 tortillas, 8oz trimmed top sirloin, 2C mixed veggies(spinach, zucchini, bnut squash noodles)
Afternoon snack: 3C+ mixed napa cabbage and broccoli slaw mix with cilantro, soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seeds and a few drops of sesame oil, plus 1 orange
Dinner: 6oz wild salmon, 2C mixed veggies(bell pepper, squash, zucchini, spinach)
PM Snack: 4 eggs or 1 scoop protein plus 2oz nuts(usually 1oz almonds, 1oz brazil nuts)

That puts macros at: 207p, 95f, 158C

When cals were lower, just omitted the intraworkout carbs, the nuts and eggs.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Today's workout: Push day.

Flat DB press 10/8/8
Smith Incline 3x10
Hex press 3x10
Bayesian flyes 3x10
DBSide laterals 4x12 supersetted w/ machine rear delt flyes 4x8
Cable bent over tri extension 4x10
Seated DB overhead extension 4x10

Nothing real earth shattering about today, but good workout. Had a great pump.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Legs today.

started with 20mins HIIT on the bike.

seated leg curl 4x8
hack squat 3x10
v squat 4x8, then dropped for finisher of 12 reps
seated leg press(close stance) 4x8 then drop for 12 rep finisher
standing calf raise 4x10

Got 10 more lbs than last week on the last two sets of v squats. Had to shuffle the order a bit since machines were taken and a vertical leg press machine was out of commission so I opted for seated/horizontal.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull day.

started with 25 minutes HIIT on the bike

Supersetted lat pulls and close grip stretchers 4x 15 each
Db rows 15/12/12/10/9
decline bench 10/8/7/6
iso lateral row 3x15
supersetted machine shrugs and upright rows 4x12 each(back has been bugging me this week, so subbed these for rack pulls)
smith bench 10/8/8/5 then dropset finish

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Push workout today.

DB bench 15/15/12/10 with dropset finish
bayesian flyes 4x15
low cable rows 4x10 dropset finish
Assisted dips 15/15/15/12
Decline Fly 2x15
Incline fly 2x15
Iso row 2x8 dropset finish

superset:
seated Db oh press 6/8/8*
Upright row 3x12
BB back extension 3x12

Finished with a dropset on the lateral raise machine.

Started with Arnold presses on the finishing superset but caused some discomfort, so switched to just standard presses. Weird, cause it wasn’t much weight at all. Been adding a bit of shoulder work because they’ve felt neglected here lately- a lot of rear delt focus in CD2 here lately, but not much for the rest of the shoulder.

Gym doesn’t open until 8 on saturdays, which left me a little pressed for time so I had to skip the cardio today.

Last edited:

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Push workout today.

DB bench 15/15/12/10 with dropset finish
bayesian flyes 4x15
low cable rows 4x10 dropset finish
Assisted dips 15/15/15/12
Decline Fly 2x15
Incline fly 2x15
Iso row 2x8 dropset finish

superset:
seated Db oh press 6/8/8*
Upright row 3x12
BB back extension 3x12

Finished with a dropset on the lateral raise machine.

Started with Arnold presses on the finishing superset but caused some discomfort, so switched to just standard presses. Weird, cause it wasn’t much weight at all. Been adding a bit of shoulder work because they’ve felt neglected here lately- a lot of rear delt focus in CD2 here lately, but not much for the rest of the shoulder.

Gym doesn’t open until 8 on saturdays, which left me a little pressed for time so I had to skip the cardio today.
Is this the routine @Brain5ick has you do?

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Because i also used to respond great to higher volume on a bulk...used to do 25-30 sets per workout and grew very well when i was a teen

Nowadays i cant recover from that style of workout so i stick to full body, 10-15 sets max

But on a cut i like to go with high intensity/low volume with heavy weight, 5 rep sets. Trying to maintain strength is mandatory in a caloric deficit and really high volume during a deficit only puts a damper on your recovery IMHO.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Because i also used to respond great to higher volume on a bulk...used to do 25-30 sets per workout and grew very well when i was a teen

Nowadays i cant recover from that style of workout so i stick to full body, 10-15 sets max

But on a cut i like to go with high intensity/low volume with heavy weight, 5 rep sets. Trying to maintain strength is mandatory in a caloric deficit and really high volume during a deficit only puts a damper on your recovery IMHO.
I used to be really gun shy about volume, was always a low volume guy until recently. Found after a couple weeks of higher volume and frequency i recover just fine, just have to get used to it. As long as youre getting stronger, youre not overtraining.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I used to be really gun shy about volume, was always a low volume guy until recently. Found after a couple weeks of higher volume and frequency i recover just fine, just have to get used to it. As long as youre getting stronger, youre not overtraining.
Yes exactly it is all about the weight on the bar.
But i still progress faster in weight if i train in 4-6 rep range. Find it easier to add weight and there is a reason why strength programs focus on these lower rep ranges.

so it is a matter of personal preference.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Legs today

25 minutes HIIT on the bike

Lying leg curl 3x15
vsquat 4x8
hack squat 1.5’s 3x8
horizontal leg press 3x10
smith calf raise 4x10

added some core and hip work:
myo crunch 3x20
hip abductor/adductor 3x15 each
bw hyperextensions 3x20

finished with 23 minutes of swimming

Added weight on the VSqua, up to 384lbs. Added weight on the calf raises, up to 315lbs. Shoulders were still burnt from earlier this week, so about 20 minutes of swimming was all I had in me, instead of the 30 I usually go for. Either way, I’m toast after all that.

Will not be training tomorrow. Have a couple appointments tomorrow that will keep me busy. Shuffled things to get in today and make tomorrow a rest day.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull workout this morning

started with 25 minutes HIIT on the bike

db rows 4x12
assisted chins 4x15
hqnging knee raise 6x20
overhand iso row 4x8
db pullovers4x10
bb hyperextensions 4x10
cable curl 4x8
hybrid supinate/hammer curls 4x10

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Push this morning.

25 minutes HIIT to start.

flat Db press 3x12
smith incline 3x8
hammer machine press 3x8
bayesian flyes 3x10
hammer overhead press 4x10
machine rear delt fly 4x25
incline Tri extension 4x12
rope overhead extension 4x8

Took it easy on the overhead press today. Shoulder still bugging me a bit from the weekend. Not sure what I did.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What’s your split look like?
well, it was p/p/l/p/p/l, with an off day slid in wherever it was convenient. Now down to five workouts per week with the addition of the cardio, so I dropped legs. The 2nd two push and pull days are the workouts brain drew up for me. Still just fitting rest days in wherever.

Been tired this week. Slept in today after a planned rest day yesterday.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Weighed in at 203.5 this morning. Weight up just a little but appear to be getting leaner anyway. Here is pics from today.

Also... and I was waiting to mention this but I started the DHB last Friday. I’m now 9 days in with no pip. Too early to judge effects, but this stuff has thus far lived up to reports regarding this particular source of being pip free. My test pins hurt far more than this stuff. Also began havoc and trenadrol. Things should start getting fun very soon.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pull workout today.

started with 20 minutes HIIT

low cable row 1x8 then drop, x8, x8

superset:
machine shrug 2x10
upright row 2x10
bb hyperextensions 2x12

assisted chin 2x12
db rows x12, x8
fixed lat pull x10, x9
i cline bench leg raise 2x15
bb cable curl x12, x5
db hammer curl 2x20

Finished with 25 minutes LISS on the elliptical.

Adding the cardio in has snuck up on me, so I’m switching to Project colossus a bit early. Similar format of PPL, but just a little less volume. Also, the volume and the cardio were taking me a little longer than I’d like in the morning so this should help with that too. Today’s workout called for rack pulls, but I’m avoiding those for a while because of my disc issues. He superset I did should hit most of the same things.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weighed in at 203.5 this morning. Weight up just a little but appear to be getting leaner anyway. Here is pics from today.

Also... and I was waiting to mention this but I started the DHB last Friday. I’m now 9 days in with no pip. Too early to judge effects, but this stuff has thus far lived up to reports regarding this particular source of being pip free. My test pins hurt far more than this stuff. Also began havoc and trenadrol. Things should start getting fun very soon.
Your strength will be pretty insane on those 3.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
First project colossus push workout today.

Started with 20 minutes HIIT on the bike.

Slight decline DB press x9, x10, then drop x10, x9 -->should've gone just a little heavier
Slight incline smith BB press x12, x7
Hammer machine press cluster set x8 +5 +4 +3
Bayesian flyes 2x10
DB OH press x10, x8
Cable side lateral dropset x8, x10, x10
rear delt fly machine 2x25
assisted chin tricep pushdown 2x12
skullcrusher 2x10

Finished with 25 minutes LISS on the elliptical and 3 sets of 20 weighted myo crunches.

So far, really like the set up of the PC workouts. Predicated on intensity techniques like dropsets, clusters, etc... right up my alley and the timing should work well. Today's workout was 60 minutes almost exactly, and that was with taking my time with warmups(no work today, so I had time). Should fit well with my AM schedule on work days.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Had legs this morning. Was too rushed to get to work after and I’m on the couch with the dogs and don’t feel like getting up to get my log book.

So, highlights.

Started with 20 minutes HIIT.

PR’d on VSquat with 2x8 @ 414lbs. Struggled on leg press after with 2x10 @553.

Had Bulgarian split squats for 90 seconds per leg. That sucked.

Strength is climbing a bit, also feeling a really nice fullness and density to muscles.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Had legs this morning. Was too rushed to get to work after and I’m on the couch with the dogs and don’t feel like getting up to get my log book.

So, highlights.

Started with 20 minutes HIIT.

PR’d on VSquat with 2x8 @ 414lbs. Struggled on leg press after with 2x10 @553.

Had Bulgarian split squats for 90 seconds per leg. That sucked.

Strength is climbing a bit, also feeling a really nice fullness and density to muscles.
Where’s the DHB at? 3 weeks?

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I’m as excited to see what this does week 4-5 as you probably are

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Got in for Push today.

20 minutes HIIT

DB bench 15/15/12/9 then dropset +7 +9
Bayesian Flyes 4x15
low cable row 4x10
assisted dips 15/15/15/14
incline fly 15/15
decline fly 12/12
db rows 8/8 dropset +8 +10
hanging knee raises 3x30

Finished with 30 minutes LISS on the elliptical.

Strength is starting to pick up a bit. Took it a bit easy on the first two sets of dips and finished with only having 10-25lbs of assist on the last two sets to make sure I hit the rep targets.

This will be a shortened week of training as I’m going out of town for a couple days on Friday. Will try to hit mon, tues and weds as hard as I can.