Is DHEA worth taking for individuals 30 and over?

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Wanted to get individuals thoughts on DHEA and if it is worth taking for individuals over the age of 30 to promote healthy hormone production to aid in muscle growth and recovery? More specifically I'm thinking about adding it to my normal supplementation and my next test booster/anti-estrogen stack. The research I was able to find is mixed for middle age individuals and most of the studies perform were for older individuals.

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you've had your DHEA-S levels checked and you're deficient it may enhance your mood. In terms of muscle growth and recovery I don't think you'll see anything like that. As far as I know there is no study where those are results of DHEA supplementation. The only reason it's probably on the banned list of supplements is because it's a precursor and the IOC tries to stay ahead of the curve.

I believe there was one study where women who took it saw increases in DHT and Test but men did not.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have a long thread on DHEA and pregame online and it's benefits. It can be amazing for 30+, but I do agree on labs to see where you are at. It is one of the few supplements that can make a huge difference in mood, energy, and libido going from low- mid normal range to high. It can aromatize, so need to be aware of that.

Personally, I would recommended going to the top of the hormone tree and taking Pregnenolone, which converts to DHEA and offers more benefits.

Reactions: mw1
The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Personally, I would recommended going to the top of the hormone tree and taking Pregnenolone, which converts to DHEA and offers more benefits.
Are you Preg only now? Still going Sub-lingual?

blixmpi

Awards
I'm 33. Interested in possibly supplementing pregnenolone. What's a good starting dose? Benefits?

gigante35

gigante35

Awards
  • Established
I have had run it over 10 times, and test always rose up to higher limit. Normal range (8-29) ng, mine rose 1 time to 42, and another times between 34-39. My normal range is between 23-26 before dhea supplement, i am 36 years old, run just 100 mg daily ast sport dhea 100 for 30 days or more. But only problems estradiol also rose up, and free test drop below normal range with rose up shbg too. So you have answer, it depense on person to person.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
the studies on DHEA in 40+ year olds is pretty damn strong IMO. it works for older users without question, and MAY work in younger users (debatable at this point)

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
kisaj

What is your pregnenolone dosage? I have some 50mg capsules, but I am a little worried about taking that much after reading this:

Pregnenolone side effects, benefit, dosage danger supplement

Is this guy just trying to sell his products or could he be right about the dangers of high doses of pregenolone?
I've taken 50mg for 2 weeks. I'm alive.
Fair warning: I might be Superman. It at least hasn't been proven otherwise.

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
Thanks for everyone's input.

Just to clarify I do need to get my blood work done as it has been awhile since it has been last checked. I do not believe I have a deficiencies currently.

For individuals with normal levels would there be any benefits or drawbacks in supplementing. Also what are the main differences between DHEA and pregnenolone and is one more effective than another?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you Preg only now? Still going Sub-lingual?
I am taking only pregnenolone now, sublingual. I haven't tested DHEA-s since stopping, but I am seeing all the benefits with preg only, minus the oily skin.

I take 10mg daily.

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Also interested in this too. From what I have read its advised not to take DHEA and Preg together. Pregnenolone is a better option than DHEA as its higher up on the chain? For those who have taken one or both what do you experience from it? I remember taking DHEA a long time ago and I felt my mood was better. Interested in more info.

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd be interested to see if anyone has blood work or studies showing it's done more than just being a mood enhancer. That's all I've ever read about it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes, I have had multiple labs done as well as many others on here in the Anti-aging forum. There is a marked difference in how you feel when raising DHEA and preg levels from even mid- range to high.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
What about 55 yr olds?
I am 49 and love Alpha Gainz topical DHEA at 1-3ml a day. Instant libido rise and I feel stronger and more confident. I am certain I must be deficient cause it works for me

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Also interested in this too. From what I have read its advised not to take DHEA and Preg together. Pregnenolone is a better option than DHEA as its higher up on the chain? For those who have taken one or both what do you experience from it? I remember taking DHEA a long time ago and I felt my mood was better. Interested in more info.
You can definitely take them together. From personal experience and this is supported by studies is that:

Pregnenolone- dramatic improvement in memory, recall, and attention. Noted improvement in energy and mood.
DHEA- improvement in energy, mood, libido, and body comp. Higher doses can provide noticeable fat loss and alpha feeling, but can aromatize. Sides tend to be acne and oily skin.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
You can definitely take them together. From personal experience and this is supported by studies is that:

Pregnenolone- dramatic improvement in memory, recall, and attention. Noted improvement in energy and mood.
DHEA- improvement in energy, mood, libido, and body comp. Higher doses can provide noticeable fat loss and alpha feeling, but can aromatize. Sides tend to be acne and oily skin.
Just got my bloodwork back: DHEA-S at 140 (71-375). You think just 10mg of Preg will jack that up? Or stick with your old 10 Preg/25 DHEA protocol? If I ask my GP DO, he'll just look cross-eyed at me :D Aromasin 12.5mg 2x/Week had E2 (Sensitive) at 14, so not worried there. And I've had oily skin since I was 10, LOL.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Do you feel that either one is better for anxiety?
Also, any brand recommendations?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Pregnenolone definitely for anxiety. No particular brand recommendations as I have not noticed any difference between them and I've tried a lot. I essentially just look for who has sublingual on sale.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pregnenolone definitely for anxiety. No particular brand recommendations as I have not noticed any difference between them and I've tried a lot. I essentially just look for who has sublingual on sale.
Thanks.
And start with just 10mg sublingual?

Foxx13

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Are you cycling preg and dhea or runing long term? What type of dosing protocol?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CorpKiller Male Anti-Aging Medicine 8
Supplements 2
DerickVonD Nutrition / Health 6
Supplements 6
Supplements 12