Is Agmatine a nootropic?

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I hear reports but little solid. Anyone try this stuff?

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Never got anything out of it other than a pump.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tried it a lot, different dosing protocols. Take it here and there, usually at 100 mgs , sometimes 500 mgs with a meal.

I seem to notice a mood improvement on it.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The reddit world uses it as both an antidepressant at 1.5-3g and as a potentiator for other compounds. I find it helps mood but it’s a subtle boost.

Before I’d read that all, I took it many times and had almost no reportable effect. But the small dosage size led it to be an excellent travel pump supplement to throw in the suitcase

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only like to use it to help with sleep (around 1g). It works great for that (seems to potentiate any sleep supplements by making me even more tired/relaxed) but also tends to make me feel a little "brain fogged". I never noticed an improvement in mood, focus, etc.

VaughnTrue

VaughnTrue

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
technically yes. that said, it probably won't make you "feel" anything

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
technically yes. that said, it probably won't make you "feel" anything
I only like to use it to help with sleep (around 1g). It works great for that (seems to potentiate any sleep supplements by making me even more tired/relaxed) but also tends to make me feel a little "brain fogged". I never noticed an improvement in mood, focus, etc.
Tks for the feedback guys I just got a tub of it to give a whirl and see what happens. I'll go straight up to 3.5 grams and go from there. It's a weird chemical from the looks of how it works but may be promising at the least for pain.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Tks for the feedback guys I just got a tub of it to give a whirl and see what happens. I'll go straight up to 3.5 grams and go from there. It's a weird chemical from the looks of how it works but may be promising at the least for pain.
I never tried a dose that high. Interested to hear your results.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I never tried a dose that high. Interested to hear your results.
Just took about 4 grams my scoop is only 1 g and the powder is abit cakey. Tastes mildly offensive but fine in water.

I'll try it for a full 14 days to mimic the human study and if all goes well i'll see similar results but we'll see if I feel anything before then.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I mis-wrote in my earlier post in this thread, I typical use it at 1 gram, like I did today before legs.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I did notice more focus and feeling the desire to be more active after about an hour of my first dose. Whether or not it's due to it's pain relieving effects or other hard to say. Just dosed it again now. I think I'll try twice a day dosing since it's half life is only 2 hours. Since I took it late in the evening it's hard to tell how long it lasted but I'd say a few hours at least. Very promising.

As far as dosing for your guys go what made you go with 1 gram? I can't find any studies suggesting that low a dose does anything.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I did notice more focus and feeling the desire to be more active after about an hour of my first dose. Whether or not it's due to it's pain relieving effects or other hard to say. Just dosed it again now. I think I'll try twice a day dosing since it's half life is only 2 hours. Since I took it late in the evening it's hard to tell how long it lasted but I'd say a few hours at least. Very promising.

As far as dosing for your guys go what made you go with 1 gram? I can't find any studies suggesting that low a dose does anything.
I went with 1 g before bed because higher doses resulted in me waking up with a splitting headache.

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hmm. Did arginine do the same thing?
Never tried arginine. However,large doses of magnesium dp the same thing. I assume it's dropping my blood pressure too low or something.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Never tried arginine. However,large doses of magnesium dp the same thing. I assume it's dropping my blood pressure too low or something.
I only ask because Arginine is a form of agmatine technically it's carboxylated arginine which also effect Nitric oxide. I should check my bp after dosing but so far no issues.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used a gram before bed last night. Was extremely horny as well. but it could be many other factors involved. Took a gram pre workout.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
~1.1g smartpowders agmatine sulphate and 2x600mg Jarrow NAC sustain in the morning has been amazing for my mood and has helped me cut way back on stimulants. I do OMAD at night so an empty stomach could be a big factor but I love this combo

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Also, I don’t drink them often but this combo+ one of the colored monster zeros is better than nearly any pre workout I’ve ever had in terms of focus and energy.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agmatine has some great potential nootropic benefits but from most of what I've read needs to be used consistently to see results. There are some very interesting studies on Agmatine from everything from nootropic properties to being used to help with symptoms of alcohol and other substance withdrawal (2.5 grams per day if I remember correctly). I think it just got so known as a pump ingredient that people tend to overlook the other potential benefits of it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
One thing i notice is that mega doses accumulate. At 1500 mg / day, I noticed some extra energy and anxiety from it.
I've noticed some extra feel good type energy from 1500 mg. per day but it was more of a mental energy than a physical energy. Definitely didn't feel any anxiety from it; actually seemed the reverse for me in that I felt more relaxed.

I'm definitely one of those people though that realizes that different things work different for different people.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I love agmatine by itself .. so many benefits

Have never taken above 1g.. or to be honest really throught about it nootropic but know that I think I believe in 1g was helping me out in that sense

Gonna experiement with 1.5g

comeback20

Awards
Makes me feel strange myself like if I was "high" or in an other "world"..strange feling..

Give me hungry too and some headaches

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Makes me feel strange myself like if I was "high" or in an other "world"..strange feling..

That either sounds like you respond really differently to Agmatine. What brand/dosage did you use?

comeback20

Awards
I use sns Agmatine xt 500mg or 1g the effects are stronger with 1g of course..

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I use sns Agmatine xt 500mg or 1g the effects are stronger with 1g of course..
Everyone is different. Hunger and headaches are definitely not commonly associated with Agmatine but people respond differently to different things.

Raw Dog

Raw Dog

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Were you taking it with anything else? I’ve personally noticed that agmatine can definitely potentiate other substances, which could be what is happening here

comeback20

Awards
I made further tests and different dosages it is every time the same sides..im sad because some positive effects like increase appetite and pumps are great..but negatives are stronger than positives in my case

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I made further tests and different dosages it is every time the same sides..im sad because some positive effects like increase appetite and pumps are great..but negatives are stronger than positives in my case
Negative def suxs

Maybe your body just doesn’t react well to it

How about just 500mg before pre (45min) working out .. same effect ?

comeback20

Awards
Yes same effects I feel a drop in blood pressure and i cant workout well on it...

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes same effects I feel a drop in blood pressure and i cant workout well on it...
Seems like you just don’t respond well to it. Although I’ve never heard ever a single time of blood pressure dropping too low from it.

There are other great options to choose from for workouts such as Vaso6, GlycerPump, and more.

I would suggest before ppl start questioning this to let it go now - 7 posts, almost all bashing an ingredient, and bumping a post from several weeks ago just to put it down a little more.

If you don’t like or resound well to something, that sucks but that doesn’t mean that other people respond the same. Most ppl find it to be great for pumps and nootropic purposes.

comeback20

Awards
I dont bash the ingredient here i just give my personnal experience..once again i repeat i would like Agmatine works for me in a positive way..but thats not the case unfortunately